Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday, April 7

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Tuesday, April 7

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:09 am

Good morning,

We're having some pretty weather this week and it's lightening spirits a lot! I'm still making masks. The Sheriff's office wants interfacing or a filter of some kind. So I rooted around in my sewing closet and found dibs and dabs of various 1-sided fusible interfacing that I didn't know I had. Enough for 28 masks. Then I found some camo with black silouettes of deer and some coordinating flannel. So I"ll be making masks for the Sheriff's dept today. We dropped off 2 dozen to the police department yesterday. They didn't request interfacing. Grocery stores here are limiting the number of shoppers in the store at one time and are making the aisles one way. But mostly folks are staying home and that's the best way to "flatten the curve", which is happening here.

I have an iron! Yay! We ordered on-line from Target. Bill had a code that he flashed at customer service, they set the iron on the counter, he took it, and was home in minutes. It's a CHI. Has anyone ever heard of that brand? I haven't. It has auto-off after 30 minutes. I hope I like it. We hated for him to enter a store but he santized, wore mask and gloves, and was in there only about 1 minute, he said. Then he tossed the gloves and sanitized again.

They say portals for this virus are eyes, nose, mouth and most patients are showing red, puffy eyes. We wear masks over mouth and nose but we have to be able to see. I wonder if they will do studies on people wearing glasses vs. no glasses. Seems like one more line of protection.

CHRISS - I'm SOO happy you are now able to work from home!

CINDY - I'm glad Don is tolerating his chemo and I hope all the treaments go so well for him. But he really needs to stay out of stores and other public places! He is so vulnerable. We keep our masks in a paper bag in the car.

KATHY - a ride might be a nice idea. Do you have any place you can go to walk safely? We have paved walking trails, and some pretty neighborhoods we walk in. Yes, my iron is probably pressing all those lost posts! Along with my comforter I ordered in January and all our furniture! And I love basalmic vinegar!

SHERRY - I guess you wouldn't have liked a career as an OR nurse if you can't stand masks. Scarves work well, too. There is nothing we need badly enough to get us into a grocery store right now.

LORI - hope your weather improves today. When Scottie gets wet he runs himself along the backs and sides of the couch and chairs. Bad Scottie!

JUDI - I know where YOU are! I'm dreaming masks at night. How about you?

MARY Q - I know you "had lunch" with your sis the other day - each sitting in your own car in a parking lot while you ate your sandwiches. A good way to be together without being together.

Well, it's time for another cuppa so you all have a good day, stay healthy!

mary z

Becca

Re: Tuesday, April 7

Post by Becca » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:30 am

Good morning everyone cloudy here
Maryz I sewed masks until 10:30 last nite DGD wanted some it’s been the same here on stores limited number of people & like a maze where you walk
I haven’t seen them but we’re told

Kathy It probably would help to just go ride & remember what they told you on the car battery

Cindyg I cringed about Don going out Sure his resistance is low be careful

Chris Glad you can work from Home

Gotta run The masks need to get mailed
Be safe Stsy Home if possible. Becca

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:37 am

Good morning everyone.
The young adults on our street aren’t observing the shelter in place. We had 2 parties on Saturday and another one yesterday. Plus people were cleaning someone’s windows just before dark. Our governor highly suggested for us to wear masks when we go to the grocery and out in the yard. So today I am going to work on that then the mystery quilts. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Stay safe.
Suzette

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:48 am

Good morning!

We are making a open the hatch, quickly they load grocery run. Last for awhile. But the bigger problem is the control board on the oven was fried by a power glitch yesterday. We lost power and for only a couple of minutes, twice and now my oven is broke! URRRRRGH! So do we wait to have it repaired, or call a technician now? Sarah lives about a mile from us, so I can use her oven, but what a pain for both of us.

I had ready 35 masks for Aaron to pickup this morning as he started his shift. More to sew today. Stu, who works for Amazon, has now been required to wear masks at work. So Sarah and I sewed three for him. He window visited as we sewed. Because several in his facility has tested positive, we window visit and share what he needs. We added a filter in these. Pellon type interfacing, non fusible. We have a tiny bit.

Stay safe!

Hugs,
Jana

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 am

Praying everyone continues to stay safe.

We made the calls yesterday to stay at our home park in Texas, into May, and are waiting for call backs on rescheduling our appts in Indiana for the Motorhome. At this time we have no idea if we will go to Canada or not this summer.

I'm working on some masks.
Lyn

maryq

Post by maryq » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:56 am

Good Morning Girls

Good DREARY morning that it.... it's what I call an "Ireland Morning" Foggy and drizzly. though according the weather on the web, sun should come out and get up to 60~ Boy that would be nice!

Maryz… YEAH for a new iron! I have seen that CHI brand in Walmart.. but been afraid to try it. You'll have to let us know how it works. I have to have an auto-off iron... or I surely would burn my house down. Yes it was awful nice to see my sister... We set up lawn chairs 6' apart in the parking lot where my niece lives, as it was a very nice day. I got some good feed back on the masks I made... They seemed to like the ones with 2 pleats more than the 3 pleats... So I may adjust my sewing. Today I am making some for my brothers. Will have to mail those!

Becca... Yikes.. you stayed up until 10:30 sewing? By 1030pm I'm all tucked into bed. I mailed some masks to my BFF in CO... Thankfully I had flat rate envelopes on hand and just did postage online and set out for the mail carrier. I can get 35 masks in a padded flat rate envelope!

Suzette... I'm guessing those parties involve a fair amount of alcohol too! Washing windows just before dark!? Crazy! I love washing windows, but seriously? There's quite a few people out there that think this is all a hoax... and they will until they get the virus from being too close!

Jana... Sending some extra prayers for Stu... that he can stay safe while he works. That's why I feel bad when I order something from Amazon... It's convenient for me, but puts workers at risk. I saw on the news that some of Target's SHIPT workers on going on a walk out today --claiming unsafe conditions. Hope you can get your oven fixed!~

Lyn... I was wondering about that the other day... whether you'd get to go to Canada this summer. I am SO wanting to go see my Canada kids.

For all of you UGRR swappers, if you have haven't seen it already... please check out the UPDATE I did yesterday! We are postponing the "due to me" date until late June... and longer if needed. If you are setting your swap blocks aside to sew masks.. etc... THANK YOU!

Speaking of masks.. I'm headed down to sew now too. Today I'm going to try some head bands, as I found some 1/2 elastic in my stash.

Stay safe every one and remember to Be Grateful

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:09 am

Good morning,,I was up at 6 dressed and got my list together, We headed out for senior shopping,masked and gloved, our store has a shop and scan,,,,,you get the app on your phone and log in...you put your grocery bags in your cart.(bring your own) as you shop you scan each item and bag it...after shopping you go to a certain check out where the clerk will scan 3-5 items randomly,,,if all checks out you pay with your card,,,and get your reciep and yuor groceries are already to go and no one but you has to handle them...except you...It took a few minutes longer than usual since I am new to this technology...but it was fun too....there were 15 check oouts opened and not a ton of shoppers...so no waiting in line...they also has stickers on the floor 6 feet apart for you to stand on...I know this is scarey and sad and tedious but at least I got out for an hour. and didnt mond it. Home to do a few chores and then more mask making...many familes are asking now...we have covers hospitals and nursing homes and drs and vet offices..now individuals are asking I will answer as many as I can around our small town. Our Police are getting some too...I have cut 30 more it is my goal for today,,, hope you are all having at last a little fun. the LQS is giving away kits to make 10 masks....she is giving it away free, asks that you return 2 masks to her for the hospital. bin outside her shop/// I will patronize her so much more when this is over....I will be needing fabric...lots of fabric....XXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOO

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:14 am

Judi, I haven't tried that way of shopping yet. We've had it here at a few stores for a while.
Sounds interesting. I dislike self checkout, this might be better for now. The Joann's in our area has been giving out kits for masks for the last 3 weeks for free to help the hospital. What a great thing they are doing like you.

Maryz, your other iron should arrive today. lol You know now that you have one it will show up. When I was working graveyard shift years ago, I would sew until about 0330 in the morning. One morning I was sewing along and my iron died at 0100. I was not happy, but then I remembered Rite-Aid is open all night and they have irons. Yippie.

Maryq, thanks for extending the deadline for the UGRR. That will make it easier for everyone. I got mine done early because I knew this was going to happen.

Lyn , I hope they are able to let you stay.

Suzette, the younger population thinks they are invincible. What they don't think about, is spreading the virus to their family members.

Becca, I'm a night sewer too. I don't usually watch a lot of TV, so sewing is what I do.

Chriss, how's your first day of working at home? Do you like it? My DS has been working from home for the last few weeks. He doesn't like it. However, his 3 dogs, aka coworkers, love it.

Well I need to get some cleaning done this morning. Then maybe cut out some more masks. More people are asking for them./color]
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”