Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

saturday april 4th 2020

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

saturday april 4th 2020

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:33 am

Good morning it is sunny again here, more of the same. a little cooler though. I will bake bread and chocolate chip cookies today. I have been trying to get to them ll week. more mask making here. Might run them up to the hospital tomorrow. or someone alse will do it for us. masks are now requested by everyone. it will be a while before I get back to a quilt or 2. I did 40 in the last 2 days,, Still a thank you to the gals that sent elastic..it helps so much. you are my guardian angels.. well coffee and baking have a great day....after this is over think about how good a hug will feel XXXXXXXXOOOOOO Ps about boredom///My Grandsom Nolan and his brother got bored yesterday and shaved Nolans head.....mom and dad were working in the house...he had a mop of beautiful curls..now he is a cue ball....My DD is not happy but their Dad laughed...there is never a dull moment during a stay at home order...

Becca

Re: saturday april 4th 2020

Post by Becca » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:15 am

Good morning everyone cloudy today
Yesterday was 79

Judi Sure the boys had fun One of my DGSs shaved his once & he had curls also
Yes it looks like everyone will wear masks now

I have stripped beds & mumbo dance here Will do more masks too
Have a wonderful day & stay safe Becca

velvet

Post by velvet » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:04 am

Good sunny morning from Myrtle Beach. Hope everyone is doing the right thing and staying home. By now my grands are feeling the edge of boredom as the isolation is getting to them. (Hope they don"t shave their heads-LOL)

Have 4 bindings to sew on, so I'll set aside DDIL gift (Need in August) for the weekend. Pat, a quilter and LA dropped them off yesterday to me. YIPEE!!

I hope with the precautions so many are taking that the numbers drop and hopefully by June we can get back to our lives. I'm suffering from not going to the lqs and I'm sure I am not alone. Right?

Enjoy the weekend.
Diane

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:12 am

Judi, kids find things to keep themselves entertained. lol. Good thing hair grows back.

I started to sew the binding on a quilt yesterday. Might finish that up today.

Have a great day.
Lori 8-)

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:37 am

Good morning!

JUDI - that is too funny, what the boys did! Relieved the boredom for a while!

BECCA - 79*!! We're 33* here. Dry but CHILLY. We are hoping for some sunny 60's next week. 8-)

JANA - nice idea about mask kits. And I so agree about the slime balls - may the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits!

LORI - love your quilts!! You do such quick and lovely work! Always!

MARY Q - Glad you got to take a break from masks and work on something fun! I just ordered QIAD's special of the day - the On A Roll pattern, aka, the toilet paper quilt. Something unique to have in my pattern stash and maybe one day I'll actually get time to make it!

I asked my DB, Gene how it's going and his one word answer was "down". He's never been one for details. His kids from Anchorage (400 miles away) have arrived. He thanks you all for your prayers for his family for a peaceful "transition". He is a praying kind of guy.

Just making masks here. Not much else going on. We delivered 2 to friends on Fox Island and 6 to the UPS store where we pick up our mail. They are always so good to us in there and have to meet the public all day long. They were very grateful that someone thought of them! I made 22 for our police department, am working on the sheriff's dept, rec'd a request for 20 last night from somewhere else. The needs are so great! I dream about masks at night!

Wishing us all a sunny day! Don't we all need it!! 8-) 8-)

mary z

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:19 am

Good morning all! Sounds like everyone is busy making masks. You are all so good. I am a person who will send supplies rather than sew the masks. Just not good at sewing that much. Will gladly send 100% cotton fabric to any of you that need it for the masks. I have so much and will gladly send you some if you PM me and let me know where to send it.

Judi - That is so funny about your Grandsons shaving Nolan's head. My son Doug spent 30 years in the Corps and shaved his head many years ago because it was turning grey and was easier to take care of when deployed. He still keeps it bald. I can understand his parents being upset but as the old saying goes "boys will be boys".

Diane - I hope we can get back to some degree of normal before June or we are going to have no economy at all. Last night on TV they were talking about the damage to the economy is going to be worse than the virus if something isn't done soon. So many people are suffering between the virus and not having a job. I have never seen anything in my 72 years of life. I pray every day that this gets over sooner rather than later.

Tonight The Ten Commandments is on TV. It is one of my favorite movies. I get my DVD of it out and run it at the same time the one is on TV just to see how much longer it is with the commercials. I know I am crazy. DH always told me I was crazy for doing that but is interesting to see that there are almost a whole hour of commercials compared to the actual DVD. Guess I have too much time on my hands.

Well better go get some breakfast and feed Smoke and Sweetie. Hope everyone has a good day and stay safe.

Sherry

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:31 am

Good Morning Girls

Yeah for some sunshine here today... But man is it cold. only 18*

Judi... OMG, I almost spit my coffee out all over my computer screen.. just picturing the boys giving hair cuts! TOO FUNNY! In a FB group I joined for MN mask makers, they showed a picture of a little piece of ribbon with buttons to attach the elastic to at the back of the head. Am thinking I might whip up some of those too... I have gobs of buttons!

Becca... Looks like we will have the same kind of day. Mr. Maytag will dance away while I sew.

Maryz… Glad to hear that the kids have arrived. I'm sure they will be a comfort for Gene. I found a new pattern for masks that uses twill tape in a casing at the sides. Boy do those go fast! And I found some tape online... ordered 800 yards!

Lori... Boy am I looking forward to having a quilt to BIND! And when this is over.. I'm going shopping to replenish my fabric stash!

Diane.. Oh no.. you are most definitely not alone... I'm so looking forward to being able to just browse around in Joann or my big fabric warehouse. I should have taken a picture of "before" and "after" of my fabric stash, since I've used up so much on masks!

Guess I better get in gear... need to fill up my big coffee mug and head down to sew. So far I have 128 masks for my sister and need to make some more today. Will meet her some where tomorrow to hand them off. It's going to kill me to see her and not be able to give her a big HUG!

Have a wonderful day

and Be GratefulImage
Last edited by maryq on Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:33 am

Good morning All
Its a chilly 34 here this morning. I have been cleaning out gardens. They are a mess. My daffodils are beautiful this year. A cheery sight considering whats going on in the world. A lady was on TV last January and told every one our lives where going to be shook up. I just did not realize how bad this was going to get.
I do have a dust mask from a grain elevator It keeps dust and small particals out of your breathing system.
I found a mask pattern which looks like the one I have.
Today I am going to sew the last two blocks of that darn {not exactly what I really call it but I am on with you ladies LOl} quilt. I have 4 rows of blocks sewn together Progress. I get the last row made then attach
to upper 4 I will start adding borders. When I start this You will see me doing a happy dance.
Maryz When I get pattern I too will be making mask for some elderly people who need to go out to grocery stores.
Judi I know how this goes . My son cut my daughter some bangs. Not even of course
Becca supposed to be in 70's after tomorrow.
Well I need more coffee then into my sewing room
You all try to to have a great sewing day
Katy

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:03 am

Good morning!

Beautiful, glorious day here, cold, and it is General Conference! Last October's General Conference, at the end, President Nelson, asked us to study, Joseph Smith's First Vision and then told us, that April's General Conference will be remarkable and unforgettable. Oh my, was he ever right! Conference is being broadcast totally in a digital format, due to this virus. To keep with all the directives, only those who are offering the prayers and those speaking at that session, will be in the room. Our Conference Center will hold over 25,000, and for Conference it is standing room only. We will all be home to watch Conference this time.

Kate was working at the EOC, emergency operations center, yesterday and they gave her a couple of N95 masks for Aaron. Oh how grateful I am for that!

Sarah and I cut and bagged about 60 kits yesterday. Sarah put a note out to our Ward members and they all were excited. Many of the women here know how to sew, a little bit and have machines that gather dust, but they would have to go out to buy fabric. I wanted to keep as many out of stores, hence the kit idea. Those who sew, can take, make and share. I sewed about 20 yesterday as well. More ready to sew today. So there are two boxes on my porch, one labeled kits, one, finished masks. Sarah and I and maybe one or two more in our Wards are quilters and have any fabric. We included a paper with instructions as well. Just our small part in helping, just like our moms and grandmothers did durung their stressful war times.

Sarah also sorted through my fabric stash and put the pieces into piles for us to cut, according to sizes and what we can get from those scraps. Ties, masks, etc. Now if the distilled water holds out for my iron....

Well time to fix breakfast, and get ready for church, and sew,

Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:00 am

Good morning, what a crazy day time this is.

I was told at 11am yesterday that beginning Monday I would be working from home. there are 6 people in our office and three are now working from home. Problem is, I can't sign on yet. My computer doesn't want me to log on to their site. I was on the phone last night with IT to try and figure it out but no such luck. I will call him on Monday from home to see if he can make it work.

I will still take my personal holiday on Tuesday to get my car worked on. Other than that I am home bound.

Flo, there is a farmers market in Sonora, Cali that has blackberries about the size of an almond in the hull. they are huge. We sometimes go to that farmers market just for the blackberries and Jerry makes he and my dad a cobbler. it's their favorite.

Diane, what are you making for DDIL? How is Laura, was she able to get her treatement?

Maryz, prayers for your brother and family. It's hard to watch someone you love fade. There was a little boy on the news. He was about 7 maybe. He asked all the hotels for their shower caps and donated them to the hospitals for masks. While I can't imagine a 7 year old came up with this on his own I think it's wonderful that the hospital staff stopped to thank this little boy for being so caring.

Maryq, the grocery chain I work for has instacart. It doesn't work for me because I live outside the delivery range. some places offer to do your shopping and you go pick it up. Or you can get curbside delivery at some places that serve food. When this is over I hope you enjoy your fabric shopping spree.

Kathy, it's all your fault. You posted a picture on facebook of a piece of bacon inside of a long skinny pancake. Well my friend, guess what we are having for breakfast? I only have you to blame. Come on over and have some with us.

Lori, the recall on my car is for rear springs. the other is a brake light. but the rear springs sound important. I will be fine. I will travel there alone. sit in the corner of the waiting room with some thing to busy myself. I will take some lunch and water so I don't have to go any place then I will come home. I will have a mask, gloves and wipes. Nice memory of going to your Nana's house for berry picking. My Nana was my great grandmother, I really loved going to her house.

Flo, did you find a mask pattern? QIAD has a kit for $3 they will send you. There are so many patterns online. you will easily find the perfect one.

Becca, if you can, please share the newly sized mask pattern. Nice that it keeps out 50%. What did you use to make yours? cotton and flannel?

Jana, if there ever was a time to ask God to strike someone with a lightening bolt it would be the time for these hackers who messed up the school computers. dang them. they will get theirs, not soon enough but it will happen.

Maryq, if the grateful post isn't already locked at the top I will lock it. Just have to remember how. I haven't locked something since the swap hints. but I will work on it today. are you making the fatcat dog patterns?

Lori, just read your post about having already walked the dogs who are now napping. what a pretty picture in my head. them both laying on a rug in front of a window with rays of sun hitting them just enough to take the chill off. Love them both up for me.

Judi, Thankfully Nolan won't have to go to school and show his friends. The curls will be back soon. too funny.

Diane, I hope that the numbers drop too. Yesterday after work my plan was to go to the atm to deposit a check then pick up a pizza. well the atm had a long line so I didn't stop. and on my way to the pizza place there were people and cars at every fast food joint along the way. Gladly there was no one at the pizza place and my pizza was ready. I don't think people here are getting it. It was the first time I had been anyplace other than the gas station at Costco in a while.

Sherry, made me chuckle that you run the dvd along side the movie on tv. Maybe you are a little crazy, but that is probably why we get along.

Katy, Jerry is getting ready to fill his beds with dirt and whatever else he needs so he can plant his garden. I will put wire all around so the squirrels are caged out. I wish he was already planting, I want tomatoes and they won't start growing until he plants them.

I believe it's time to get out of this recliner and start my day. I will be in my room if you need me.

God bless you girls.
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Return to “Sew ins”