Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday March 22 2020

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Sunday March 22 2020

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:17 am

good morning another cold sunny day...other than getting a bit of cabin fever not much os going on here,,,self quarentine out of pure caution. This virus is starting to infect younger and yoounger people, so more precautions need to be taken. Still doing ok in the toilet paper front.
Been sewing masks for the nurses and I am now using ties since no eleastic can be had around here,,,I did find some to order on Amamzon but no one knows when it will come...if ever, Amazon has deverted many of their orders to deliver medical first. It is a lot slower, to make ties,,,I am using the clover bias tape maker for this which helps....much of retail is closed here,,,our LQS is opened and allows 3 persons in the store at a time and will cut and bring your fabric out to the car if you know what you want.
well I need coffee then I will do a bit of laundry,,,Praying for our President and Country,,,XXXXXXXXOOOOOOO

Becca

Re: Sunday March 22 2020

Post by Becca » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:34 am

Good morning everyone I posted to open but poof
Judi I’m making masks I have no elastic either
It’s quiet here too I even saw where some hwys are closing open only to rural traffic
Our DS is bringing us groceries Tomorrow They don’t want us out for anything
I’m praying for our Leaders our Country & all the medical workers & All others who must meet the public May our Land be healed
Have a blessed day. Becca

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:48 am

Morning
Raining here again.. was beautiful out yesterday, so spent day outside with DGD.
With her inside, not much sewing happening.
Flo

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:13 am

Since I posted yesterday I have found MANY YouTube tutorials on making masks. I had originally thought you needed special fabric, but find our regular quilting fabric will do. Who doesn't have some fabric that makes us wonder why we ever bought it?? I will get busy and start making masks!

Since hubby and I are in the (I HATE the word!) "elderly" area and he is recovering from cancer and is a diabetic, we are really sheltering in place! I go out every day for a walk, but we haven't gone anywhere else in over a week. Thankfully there are 'only' 2 confirmed cases in our county, but I know that could change any minute.

I am not the panicking sort and not a hoarder, but think we will get along just fine with the stock we have on hand. I am sad for those who have to go to work and for those with families that require more food - and toilet paper - than 2 retired people! I am very grateful for modern technology that allows me to check in with my family across the country and even a granddaughter, her husband and a 2 year old great-granddaughter in Scotland for a year! How amazing to be able to communicate and even SEE them once in a while.

I pray that all of my QIAD Forum Friends stay safe through this disastrous event!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:45 am

Good morning!

So strange to be home on a Sunday, not in my church pew. Just not like us, but we do what we need to do.

Not much new here. Ethan was a big helper yesterday in building garden boxes. I have a couple of cute pictures to share, but need to be on my computer not tablet.

Heading down to sew after breakfast.

Hugs,
Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:07 am

Good morning,

BECCA - happy birthday!! Going to be quiet birthdays for us both this year! I hope your day is a good one even though the big gathering is cancelled.

ANN - so good to see you. Good idea - stay home and stay well! Hope your hubby is doing OK.

JUDI - My decks are cleared in my sewing room as of last night. Going to tackle masks now. I'll use what elastic I have and then make ties. I have some 1/8" and 1/4" elastic, though not a lot of either. I bet no one will be picky!

FLO - so sorry life is difficult for you right now.

KATHY - I'm so sorry about your itchies - especially when you are not supposed to be touching your face! I never realized how many times a day I have a little itchy spot on my face. I use a clean tissue - if I can remember. We've been told the eyes, nose, and mouth are entry portals for this virus. Glad you can get your meds. You must be miserable. And how is Kim doing and how is she coping with all of this virus stuff?

CHRISS - it's nice to be considered essential to humanity's survival, but still . . . . And you don't want to fit into that 65 or older box any sooner than you have to! It's not as much fun as we oldsters try to make it out to be. Pretty soon, there won't be a box for me anymore! It won't fit on the page! lol!

JANA - If I ever knew Kenny Rogers sang with the New Christie Minstrels I'd forgotten. I love them, too, but not as much as Kenny on his own (or with Dolly).

CINDY - how is Don fairing with chemo and all of this going on?

I haven't turned on our news yet this morning, but expect any day now our state to be locked down. So I sewed like a Tasmanian Devil and finished my UGRR blocks to get them and all the spring swap blocks into the mail last night. Thank goodness for Click'n'Ship and a hubby who is willing to do all the labels for me. So everyone will get their blocks. Today I'm going to try my hand at making masks. I don't have the fusible that Jana talked about but I do have plenty of fabric! We've seen that some folks are turning their Christmas lights on to provide a bit of cheer in their neighborhoods. So we've done this, too. (they stay up all year and we usually turn them on for company or special occasions.) They are multi-colored C-9's.

Be careful, be safe, be well!
mary z

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:45 am

Good beautiful morning. the sky keeps threatening to rain but hasn't yet. I wish it would.

Ann, great to see you yesterday. thrilled Paul is improving. We also are good on supplies.

Kathy, does your grocery store offer curbside service? Here we can order on line and they will fill the order and bring it to our car. hope the itch is going away.

MaryRose, April first seems to be the target date for normal here too. I pray it is.

Carol, great to see you too. I think the bias tape is a great substitute for elastic. brilliant.

Becca, Funny thing is, Moose and I went to go get the mail yesterday and I heard a rooster. I am so glad your DS will be doing your shopping. hope you and CA are healthy. Happy birthday

Judi, those masks will be greatly appreciated.

Flo, I bet your DGD loved her outside time with grandma. I read something yesterday about having an indoor scavenger hunt to keep the kids busy. find something with wheels, find something blue etc.

Jana, does your church offer online service? I am looking forward to seeing Ethan making boxes.

Maryz, nice to live longer than there are boxes to check. Happy birthday,

I pray you are all healthy and your needs are met. Thankfully this won't last forever.

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:07 am

Good Morning Girls

If you are looking for elastic..

check out goldstartool.com. Someone posted that site on a FB group I'm in and I ordered some this morning. Not a bad price. Elastic ain't cheap!

Like a lot of you, I'll be sewing masks today. But First I am going to cut up LOTS of my fabric into kits for others in my area that are willing/able to sew. I have no elastic on hand, and may try some with ties for now. A local doctor chimed into the FB group and suggested using furnace filter fabric for inside, and I have some odd filters (bought the wrong size) but they have been in the garage so I don't think I should use those.. kind of dirty! UGH.

I think I've caught my spring cold, so for sure I'll be staying inside.

Now that the coffee is kicking in, I'm getting antsy... so will head down to sewing room and get some kits made.

Hey Chriss… We need a prayer circle Day!

Love you all, please stay safe and healthy

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:13 am

Good morning all! Went out and got my Sunday papers this morning and then stopped very quickly at the store for a couple of things I needed. So glad I don't need food groceries. The store shelves were so wiped out. It was weird to see empty shelves for things you wouldn't think that people would buy a lot of. I got my 5 things and was out of there in about 15 minutes.

Now back to staying in with Smoke and Sweetie. Will be watching DVD's this afternoon. This gives me a chance to watch some DVD's I bought but never got around to watching. I do miss watching my sports though especially March Madness and Chicago Cubs. Hopefully they will get back soon at least for the Cubs.

Need to get some sewing done also and if I find some ambition also some cleaning. Well better go get some lunch. It is too late for breakfast now.

Hope everyone has a good and safe day. Stay well. We have 2 cases of the virus here in my little county.

Sherry

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:05 am

Good morning. I watched church services on line this morning. Sanitizing and a few chores are next on the list, then back to the sewing room to work on my UGRR swap blocks.

I'm almost out of bleach. Yikes!!!!!!!! Oh well, I will check to see if we ever got a shipment of bleach in at work, and see if someone can bring me some if we did. I can finish of the 1/4 bottle of pine sol in the meantime.

Prayers and hugs for all.

Mary/Rosebud

Return to “Sew ins”