Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday, March 21

Daily discussions.
Marilynsgrammy

Re: Saturday, March 21

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:00 am

Good beautiful grey stormy day. I love this weather. The pasture is green with wild flowers, the trees have little tiny green leaves sprouting, some blossoms are still on the fruit trees. It's just wonderful.

Not much has changed here. Cali is on quarantine for non essential people. Jerry isn't essential but I am. HAH, how do you like that, I am essential. One nice thing, the grocery store chain I work for has decided their employees can come in to any store in the chain for one hour before they open and one hour after they close to shop. Not guaranteeing there will be product on the shelves but a chance to shop. In the warehouse I work most are working 12-16 hour days and scheduled a 48 hour week. They only have Saturday off. I am only working 40 hours a week, no changes for me. They are beat.

The warehouse where I work receives product during the day and ships product to the stores during the night. Problem is, stores are ordering tons of product hoping they get something, so it takes longer to gather and ship the product because the orders are larger.
and that means the trucks bringing product into the warehouse can't be received until the shipping process is done. there isn't enough room on the warehouse floor to both ship and receive. the product in the warehouse almost completely ships out during the night and fills pretty much up during the day and goes out again at night. In 30 years I have never seen something like this at my job.

The streets are pretty bare and people are going crazy on face book. It seems that so many people on face book know everything about everything. The funniest one was someone asked. My family is here from out of state can they go home? someone answered Yes. the first person said thank you. like the second person had all the answers. Who needs TV, we got facebook.

My thought is I hope America wakes up and realizes they need to manufacture their own goods and not rely on other countries to get things made. Imagine the jobs that could be created if things were made here.

Judi, the quilters in my group are making those masks too. I wonder if you could use a wider elastic and cut it down to size? I have seen 1/4 inch on Amazon but not sure if it would get shipped in time. Joanns says you can order online for store pick up. Would a kind of draw string work I wonder?

Becca, maybe you need to walk with a shot gun. I just don't understand people who are so irresponsible. and who on earth would want such a vicious animal. I just don't get it. hope all else is good where you are.

Maryq, my 401K is also falling. but it will recoup. Seems like it's done this once before. I am not even going to look at it anymore.

Sherry, we are also using up what we have on hand. Jerry takes leftovers and makes tv dinners sometimes. we have so much in the freezer we are likely good for months. While many are out of work many places here are hiring. Mostly in the food industry. The place I work has even hired temps to pull orders for stores. Those temps could even get hired on after this is over.

Maryz, your sister is a hoot. day of the week toilet paper squares. I'm not claiming to be elderly either. Last July I jumped from checking the 45-55 box on forms to the 56-60. I'm not 65 or older so don't fit into a lot of the virus criteria. I'm sort of stuck in the middle. Kind of like when I was a pre-teen. :lol:

Velda, safe travels,

Well that does it for me. I am going to be in my room. Hope you and yours are all doing well.

Chriss
Psalm 91

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:34 am

grammiequilts/Judi, Would 3/8" elastic work? I have some 1/4" and a few yds of 3/8" that I will be happy to send you, if you will send your address. I just called a number that I had for you from many years ago and left a message. If it is really you, you can call me back and let me know.

Since I am in the age group (elderly) :( and living with a hubby who is recovering from cancer and is a diabetic, I am not going out to buy fabric or elastic right now, but may find some online to order. Thanks, Sue, for posting the Bonnie Hunter website info!

I am just hunkering down with my sewing machine and fabric - and my Kindle!

Prayers for all of us to get through this. It surely is a once in my lifetime event!

Love to all my QIAD Forum Friends!
Ann/gmaann
XOX

After I wrote the above, I went to Bonnie Hunter's website, and found the directions for making masks. Looks pretty easy, and I have PLENTY of fabric. (But no rope elastic, or beading cord elastic or 1/8" elastic) If I don't hear from Judi, I will try to make some masks. So far, there are only 2 confirmed cases in our county. If there is a need here for the masks, I will find someone to take them to our hospital.
Last edited by gmaann on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:48 am

Good Sonny Morning......

Just a short note today as I am in full itchy mode. It makes it very itchy for me to type. Good news is today I get to pick up all 3 of my itch meds. Happy dance for me. When I get to WalMart I give them a call & someone will bring it out to me. Thank goodness. WM is in the same shopping center as food store. "IF" it looks empty I might stop in to shop. Or I'll go Mon at old peoples hours.

My sister is very up set that the Patriots let Tom Brady go! I didn't even know she followed football.

I'll let you all know how the meal delivery works out. I once received an email for a survivalist group that sold meals all packaged up in a bucket. They lasted for a year or more. Sounds like a really good idea now.

Well I'm off to WM for drugs....................Katny

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:57 am

Break time...I got all my sub-cuts finished for my UGRR swap blocks. After break I will start sewing on them.

I will be off until April 1st. It will be a good time to continue some of my Spring cleaning in between sewing. Everyone stay safe and healthy.

Mary/Rossebud

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:10 pm

Yes Bonnie Hunter’s link calls for 1/8 inch elastic, however it is also possible to make masks using grosgrain ribbon or bias tape for a tie on mask. The elastic may not hold up to many sterilization so the tie on is preferred.

Return to “Sew ins”