Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

sat feb 22

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

sat feb 22

Post by grammiequilts » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:03 am

good morning sunny and cool here but we warm up onto the 40s. Today we have a hockey game at 11 then home to try and load a quilt. I have to lay out the backing and top to trim and that means time on my knees. not the best part of quilting,,hoping to get it started today. maybe even quilted by tomorrow...too busy this coming week to get at it. Monday is my tests and tues thru sunday I will be staying with the kids . Parents going on vacation. but it is a fun time except we have to do a lot of running around with them.
I have my next quilt out with all that i need to do it except the backing...I will order it today. I am looking forward to making this one, it is another Christmas quilt...Hoping to have a Christmas quilt for each bed in the house. well I need to get coffee hope you are all having a great morning,,,XXXXXXXXOOOOOOO

Becca

Re: sat feb 22

Post by Becca » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:26 am

Good morning everyone sunny and cold but warming with sun

Judi :Enjoy your day & Praying that all goes well with your test

Chris I have to get hair cut this week & shots so my trip wasn’t very fruitful

Yesterday it was back to town for Bread books & donate stuff
I’m hoping today is a quieter day I did find at thrift shop some stuffing for my bears & Dolls I make to donate May start on them today Got my uglies done & kitchen cleaning too
Have a wonderful day. Becca

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:56 am

Morning
Slept in, hadn't slept in many nights so I took a couple of benedryl. Will watch quilting shows on PBS then start my day.

Have a great day everyone
Flo

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:31 am

Good morning,

BECCA - where are you planning to donate your bears and dolls? Or are you just getting prepared for the next big 'donation event'?

JUDI - you lay your quilt top and backing on the floor to trim before putting it on the frame? I've never done that. I do all trimming after the quilting is done. I do baste a scrap border of about 3 to 4 inches on the sides and bottom of the quilt top so we have a place to practice stitching, adjust tension, attach side clamps, etc. When we got the long arm in 2008, an experienced quilter gave me this tip. It's an extra step but has proved very handy. The bottom scrap piece is to pin to the leaders, though we use Red Snappers. This way we can stitch right to the edge of the quilt without having to remove clamps. And we make sure the backing is at least 3" larger than the top on all four sides. Finally, we roll the backing up on the backing bar, then roll it to the take-up bar, and then back to the backing bar, making sure it stays smooth and even in that last roll. This takes out the 'one-sided sag' that we always seemed to struggle with.

LORI - 80* in Feb sounds nice! Bet it was a shock when you got off the plane in UT!

MARY Q - I love your winter picnic idea. Nice to get the family together. I'm off to check out your swap idea. Though I'm sure I'm going to love it! I like to participate in almost all the swaps. If it's not a block I'm thrilled with it gives me practice and a quilt later for gifting or for donation to one of the myriad of good causes out there. Plus, it's fun to "sew with my peeps"!

JANA - oh dear! Ripping?? Glad you cut too big and not too small, but what were you fixing?

FLO - glad you got some sleep. Two Benadryl would do it! Just one puts me out cold for about 9 hours.

Yesterday was chiropractor and errands, some laundry, and a few uglies. Today Sue and Kenn are coming! Yay Sue & Kenn! I'm going to make Chicken Tetrazzini and ceasar salad for lunch with homemade brownies and ice cream for dessert. They will have a long drive back to Bellingham so I plan to fill 'em up!

I have a second ding dang orphan quilt top almost finished. This is kinda fun! Like a jigsaw puzzle. Did you see that QIAD had a Buttermilk Basin wool applique book on sale with free shipping this past week? I admit I succumbed. Everything in it looked so enticing and I'm so weak and Bill left his wallet on the kitchen counter, unguarded. . . .

Wishing us all a fun weekend filled with bobbins (only full ones!), fabric, cutters, and NO boo boos! JANA, are you listening? ...

mary z

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:19 am

Today is a beautiful day here in NW Ohio. a bit chilly but very sunshiny. Smoke loves going out in the backyard in this weather. It is nice to have yard fenced in so he can stay out as long as he wants. Looked out and he was just laying and soaking in the sun. Sweetie doesn't go out so she just lays in the window and soaks up the sunshine.

When I went to town this morning I went to the bakery and got a couple of their pecan rolls. They are so good. Then went to car wash because car was yuckie, and then newspaper and came home. Now time to get breakfast.

Today will be watching sports on TV while working on DGS1s project. Hoping to find a Spring training baseball game.

Well better go get some breakfast. Hope everyone has a good day.

Sherry

I am in luck. MLB network is having Spring Training games all day. Only problem is my Cubbies game isn't on until 12 a.m. for a replay. Oh well at least baseball is back!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:25 am

MARY Q - I checked out your UGRR swap idea and I think it's great! I've wanted to do this quilt in its entirety for years but only have done a few blocks (6" version) here and there for other projects. This is going to be fun! And I love that it's a QIAD pattern, here on the QIAD forum!

mz

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 am

Good morning!

My ripping was on the little tissue holders I am making. Only 6 that I am working on currently. When I finish those, I will only need about 25 more. I get about 7 from a full width strip, so only a couple more strips. I am making them assembly line style, so they are quick. Then I will run them through my serger, to clean finish the two edges. That will be quick too.

The kids are home safe from St. George. Yes, it is near Zion's National Park and a hop, skip, and a jump from Las Vegas. There is a great thread store in St. George, Superior Threads. They just remodeled their retail store and hopefully this Spring we will take a day trip down there. I have only been to St. George once, many many moons ago, and you don't want to be in St. George in the summer. A well loved leader of the Church, once said, "if I had a house in St. George and a house in he**, I would sell the house in St. George, and move to he**! It is hot there in the summer!

Not much new here. A bit of dusting, moving my cookbooks from their current home, to another, to make room for my new curio cabinet to hold my quilts. Not sure what I will do with the wrought iron rack the cookbooks are on now, but it does fold up, to be put away. I have quite a collection of cookbooks.

Hopefully, my sewing machine will get used today,

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:20 am

Good Morning Girls

Happy Saturday to you all! I don't know why I'm in such a good mood this morning, it's chore day here! UGH... But I do have to finish a little sewing project for Sara before I start... and what the heck there's always tomorrow for chores right?

Judi.... What a nice gramma you are to go stay with the kids! My Mom used to come and stay here with my kids too.. it was so nice to know they were in good hands. I could tell you a funny story about how Shawn got busted being out too late and had Gramma all worried.. but it's too long :lol: :lol:

Becca... Don't you love it when you find the perfect thing at a thrift store! Once I found a great gob of embroidery floss.. I was in Heaven... it was like all the thread that come in kits. I now have enough floss to last me my life time!

Flo.... Hope the good sleep you got will help you feel better!

Maryz…. How fun to have Sue and Kenn stop by!! Give them a big squeeze from me! I'm working on details for the swap and trying to figure out a time line for it. I'm not sure how well I can get online while in Canada.. though I always take my Ipad along. That'll teach Bill to leave his CC laying around!

Sherry... Has Spring training started already? I don't follow sports much, but it's good sign when spring training starts..

Jana... Oh yes... I remember it being HOT HOT HOT in St. George.... Why anyone would go to Vegas in the Summer amazes me! But we were there for a convention. We kept wash cloths in the car to hold the steering wheel of the car or you'd burn your hand! It was so pretty though up in the mountains.

Well, since it is now after 10am, and I need more coffee... I bet get in gear and at least do a little shine up .. up stairs before I head down to sewing room. Just need to finish the Aprons I'm working on for Sara... then perhaps I'll tackle the Saturday job jar task... today is cleaning the kitchen wood work/cabinets with Murphy's. Doesn't that sound like fun! UGH

If you haven't already, check out the UGRR swap idea I posted.. .It won't officially start for a while... but I'm throwing the idea out there

Have a Super Saturday y'all

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:41 pm

Good evening, what a fun day today was.

A friend and I went and looked at sewing machines. We each bought one. A baby lock Jazz2. It took me three tries but I got it threaded. I wound a bobbin. I love it. it's a cool toy.

Valerie, sorry about the sneeze. dang, hope your back is better. Your Vet display is beautiful. Nice that the new aide is going to work.

Kathy, what are you going to make with your red fabric? How was knitting / bread day?

Maryz, such a pretty ironing board cover. I love daisies. Such a nice treat for your iron.

Jana, I laughed, you were snuggling under a quilt and Michael was braving the cold. Nice to have a hero.

Maryq, A picnic sounds marvelous. I have been wishing for some potato salad. Jerry won't eat it because it has mayo and pickles. I don't know how to make a small batch. Maybe I will make it and take some to my dad. Funny about my dad. He had his license plate stolen. Since then he bought and sent me in the mail some kind of locking screws for my license plate. LOL. I think any man who sends screws to his favorite daughter in the mail deserves potato salad.

Lori, enjoy son day and dog day. what a fun time.

Judi, how many beds are in your house. and how many quilts do you still need to make to cover each one. Hope the number is way less than the number of windows you have.

Becca, yay for finding bear stuffing. don't you just love to find that thing you need at a good price.

Flo, amazing how important sleep is. glad you got some. Did DGD get into school?

Sherry, glad baseball is starting for you. I also love going outside when the weather is nice but dang blossoms on the trees are making my nose unhappy.

Jana, I hope you take a picture of that cabinet full of quilts, I bet it will be gorgeous.

Maryq, your swap is very tempting. Not sure how you can get on line in Canada. How long will you be away? If it's only a short time you could have a fill in hostess answer any questions. What fun to go see the kids, I bet they love having you come stay.

Well my Sunday will be sewing, sewing and more sewing. I also need to get a few things in the mail and would like to go to the drug store if I have time.

You all have a great night, sleep well
Chriss
Exodus 33:14

Return to “Sew ins”