Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday February 10,2020

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Monday February 10,2020

Post by fabricgirl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:36 am

Good morning Everyone,

Yesterday I took out a placemat that had some paper piecing in it I was trying to familiarize myself with it just to try again yes it came back it's good to go back to something you haven't done in a longtime.

Today I will be going to hobby lobby to get the backing and batting for the donation quilt my sister rose is giving me a pingpong table so I can sandwich my quilts on I can deflate the guest bed upstairs and put it up there.

So we will see which day it's not going to rain and we will go pick it up.

Well that's all the news for today I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Re: Monday February 10,2020

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:43 am

Good Morning Lois and all. Today I dont have kiddos and the laundry is done,,I will do the bathrooms and sew today, We had 2 inches of new snow last night but all is well. it is winter,
I will work on the vintage Christmas quilt and do only 30 blocks making it a bit smaller. Will have to do some adjusting on the pieced border. I will see how it comes out. I have all the other projects to get going,,6wips...hope you all have a great day doing what you love, I will be late the rest of the week...XXXXXXXOOOOOOO

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:44 am

Lois sounds like fun day for you. Rain here too and I got lots of running. DD just left for center I’m sipping coffee then comb hair and change skirt then out door. Got so much to do. Running to wally world first then mommas then get then drop off car then sams. Then back home to work. Got some uglies done this morning so house looks good to go. Crazy busy day.

Gram we had snow Friday gone Saturday lol

Hope all get to stitch some. Hugs n prayers.
🐐izzy

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:06 am

Good morning!

Not much here. Sarah is heading to Idaho this morning for her meeting. Her DH works from home on Mondays, so Ethan will get to school and then walk home to my house.

All the kids stopped by to say hi last night. Good thing Ethan made a treat. No leftover treats today.

Most of the snow on the ground here has disappeared. Up in the canyons there are many avalanches happening or about to happen. The canyon roads are being closed off and in. Glad I gave up skiing many many years ago.

After a few uglies, I need to go grocery shopping. When Ethan gets home from school, he can help bring in all the groceries. He is so good to help. My to do list is quite small. Then hopefully I can sew! I have a monthly wall hanging about half quilted and would love to it it finished. It is for February, so I am a bit late! LOL! March is coming up fast, and I haven't even pulled fabric for that wall hanging.

Hugs!

Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:08 am

Good morning,

LOIS - Lots going on at your house! Penguins, yo-yo's, paper-piecing, and now, in between quilts, you can play ping pong! It's good to be Lois!

IZZY - I'm sorry you are in so much pain. Perhaps it's your nerve endings, healing. Or perhaps you are trying to do too much and your body is telling you to slow down, or at least to sit down. I hope your busy day goes well.

LORI - Like Izzy, you are having a lot of parental adventures! Are you doing your Granny Garden by hand or machine? I'm looking forward to seeing pix when you are done.

VAL - do you ever see a chiropractor? Many of the things you described I have, too, though not nearly so bad. But enough that some days I was in tears. When I finally broke down and went to the chiro the relief I felt even with just the first appointment was amazing. My chiropractors (father/son team) use percussors rather than manipulation and, while I haven't needed it, laser therapy. It's gentle and effective. Also, someone told me about a back brace called "Better Back". We bought one ($50 on-line) and I use it 15 minutes a day. That's all that's recommended. It's feels like all the weight is taken off my back.

CINDY - it's so good to see you back with us! Kenn & Sue are coming down Feb 22nd. Wish you and Don could be here, too. See? You made a little bit of progress in your sewing hole! And you got to fondle some of your fabric and toys! I can't sleep late. When my eyes open, they go BOING and that's it! I'm wide awake. And if I just lay there, pretty soon all my parts and pieces start to ache. And this past month, wake-up time has worked it's way to 4:00. I'd prefer 5:00 but at least I get an early start on the day!

SUZ - glad you are doing OK. Seems you were having trouble with your sugars for a while before you "disappeared" for five weeks. I bet your flower panel (the big dahlia?) is going to be beautiful. What color is it?

LYN - Have fun at Nova's class! Bill took it several years ago at Houston quilt show and he also had to bring an apron. I really need to get my FW out and take her for a spin. But I have no place to park her except the dining room table. My sewing room is packed to the max! Many of us have faced the car key issue with our parents. It was no fun, but when I pictured that the people my dad might injure could possibly be my own children, it suddenly became a lot easier.

JANA - we always sat in the same pew, too, even as a child. When I was about 7 our parish built a new church and everyone just kept their same spots in the new church. LOL!

SHERRY - I wish my DH had more interest in baseball. I'd like to watch a few games now and then. He says it moves too slowly for him. Plus so many of the games are daytime and we are always busy during the day doing something. But I'm glad you have so much interest in sports. Did Harold love all sports as much as you do?

JUDI - if you are making your VC with 12" blocks, it's going to be a big quilt! And you are closing in on it!

MARY Q - wakey wakey!! :lol:

KATHY - I read where you are helping out a knitting friend. But like the others said, be careful. I've gotten sucked in like that before because I feel sorry for someone and want to help. And pretty soon my life was every day, dealing with that person. My sister, too, has ended up in that same position by agreeing to help her friend help someone else. Now her friend is totally gone and Sis is firmly stuck. And whatever happened to the friend that used to call you several times a day?

CHRISS - more on sewing machines - Try out all the machines you can. Figure out the model you want and then start haunting shows, shops, estate sales, user sites, and Craig's List. Be patient and don't give up.
We got our long arm at a quilt show in Seattle. It was the demo model so we got it a lot cheaper though we had to wait until they were breaking down the show to go back to Seattle and pick it up.

Yesterday I finished cutting all the blocks cut out for my Main Street village quilt. (I got a lot faster as the blocks went on). Today I'll cut the rest of the finishing pieces while I have all my fabrics out - lamp posts, trees, white picket fences. They bring the scene together. I've got a collossal mess going on in my sewing room - all my landscape fabrics are all over the floor, my scraps (so neatly organized last week!) are all a jumble, and various yardage pieces unfolded and in crumpled heaps all over. The cat can hardly pick his way through everything to get to his dish and perch! Such a glorious mess!

Well, it's time for more coffee and then hitting the sewing room! Make your day a good one!
mary z

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:13 am

Good Morning Girls

I'M UP!!! Guess I'm destined to be the "late comer" to the party! Yesterday I had a nice long post typed and then hit the wrong button and poof it disappeared.. by then it was 1100 and I had to get in gear.

Lois... You will love having a big table to lay out your quilts. I use the one my kids got me all the time... so much easier on the back. And I got a big cutting matt for it.... great for laying out big pieces of fabric.

Judi.... You get to spend a whole day at home today?? Only 6 WIPS?

Izzy... Do you have your "fast starts" on today? That's what my Mom called her tennis shoes... Sounds like you'll need a fast start to get you through your busy day. How is Mom doing? Any mention of taking away car keys?

Jana.... One of the things I miss the most about having kids grown and gone... no one here to haul groceries. Before cell phones, I'd pull in the driveway and honk the horn. The kids knew if they wanted to eat, they'd have to help haul.

Maryz…. Are you doing another quilt with a million little pieces? Is the MSV another Lori Holt Pattern. I have seen a lot of them on FB, the ones with a lot of applique.... so darn cute. I wouldn't mind doing one like those if it was all raw-edge instead of sewing a back and turning.. that just seems like WAY to much work! I ordered a fabric blade for my Cameo so I'm playing with shapes to cut on my machine!

Not much other news from here.... Am still working on some baby blankets for a gal in town that works with foster babies/kids. Remember me telling you about a friend of Beth Street--- she was selling a lot of flannel and I got carried away... So I have about 10 blankets cut and ready to sew. Made 3 little ones yesterday with 5" wide strips I had left over.

for now my coffee cup is empty so best go get a refill, get dressed and get on to it!

Wishing you all Marvelous Monday

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:53 am

Good morning all! not much going on today just some cleaning and sewing. Need to wash my bed sheets today and do some dusting. Yippee! Got a little snow last night and then some rain but it didn't freeze. Just another day of this weird winter.

Izzy - So sorry you are in so much pain. Hope you feel better soon.

Cindy - Glad to see you are back posting. Wondered where you were.

Maryz - My DH loved baseball but that was about it. I am the only sports "junkie" in my family and I got it from my Mom. She loved all sports especially all of the Detroit teams. When the boys were small we would take them to Cincinnati every year to see "The Big Red Machine". That was always fun. My DS1 is a devoted Cubs and Packers fan. Me I like a lot of different sports.

Finished my Bible reading about the Exodus of the Israelites out of Egypt. Think may-be I will watch my DVD of The Ten Commandments today. Always love a good Charlton Heston movie.

Well, better go get something done. Just got back from Monday morning Bob Evans so now I need some ambition. Hope everyone has a good day.

Sherry

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:44 am

Sherry - I like most sports but mostly my Astros and the Texans. I have found, though, that if the games are during the week and at night I get to riled up to go to sleep once I get in bed. LOL

Maryq - We have a collapsible wagon that I can haul groceries into the house with. Otherwise I'd have to make about 25 trips.

Maryz - oh, hug Kenn and Sue for me. Are they staying at the Zawlocki RV Park? I had every intention of getting in my sewing hole yesterday but my DD and DSIL were in town shopping for furniture so they called and wanted to come by. We went to eat Mexican while they were here. Had a couple of yummy margaritas and good food and a great visit with them. No kids so it was just the 4 of us.

Jana - we did the same thing at church growing up and, surprise surprise, we do the same thing now.

Izzy - how are you feeling?? You must be getting better or you wouldn't be able to do all that you do. I don't know how you do it.

Judi - 6 WIPs???? I have about 4 myself and it drives me crazy. I use to make myself finish one quilt before I even purchased fabric for the next one. Things have certainly changed!

Lois - what a great idea - a ping pong table. Ours folded up in the middle - does yours?

I'm on my own for dinner tonight as Don has an overnight trip. I think I'll go to Denny's for breakfast and then go to Hobby Lobby which is in the same parking lot as Denny's. Their plants and bushes are 50% off so I'm going to get the flowers for our patio. The silk ones are the only ones I don't kill!

Gotta run. I hope we can all fondle fabric today.

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:03 pm

MaryZ - my Big Dahlia is mostly pinks of different shades. My sugar levels were out of wack because my thyroid and my Metformin did not get along. My dr changed my diabetes medicine and my sugar leveled out and is down where we want it.
Suzette

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi everyone! A quick pass through. I wanted to update you all on the post card project. My little cousin is doing great on her post cards and has till the end of this month to get these states: Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, and Oklahoma and Vermont. Does anyone know anyone in these states that could send her out a post card as soon as possible?
You all have a great day!
Tina

Return to “Sew ins”