Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday, Jan 18

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Saturday, Jan 18

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:13 am

Good morning

It's been raining all night so it's pretty soggy out there. Looks like a stay inside weekend.

LORI - I had no idea you were in my height bracket! You look so tall in your photos! lol! My mom was 4-10 and she used to insist she was tall enough - her feet reached the ground! lol! So sorry about your Jack and his seizures. Carole's dog, Luke, has had seizures, too. I'm not sure if he still does or not, or if they figured out the cause. Now he has diabetes. He's a special boy. Just like Jack and Wriggly.

SHARONA - Oh my, what a week you've had! I'm so sorry about your new, and now lost cousin. And a prayer for that poor family that lost their son. I hope your DH is going to be OK . . . Prayers for him, too. But mostly, my friend, for YOU! Glad to have you back with us!

MARY Q - "Hey, kids! Do you know what day it is?? It's Happy Job Jar Day! It's Happy Job Jar Day!" Round and round the job jar goes - what it spits out no one knows. Just in case you might have forgotten! I'm here for ya! Congrats on that UFO! Did you sew long rows of squares or did you sew a number together to make blocks and then sew the blocks together? just curious about your process. Jen will love it. Is the backing flannel or cotton squares?

SHERRY - did your storm arrive? How much snow? Did you get your X-stitch project started?

KATHY - I didn't know you were in the petite club, too! You sound taller! lol! Glad Kim is willing to go for in-house weight loss treatment. How long does it last? Just to retrain eating habits and life-style? Is she a candidate for weight loss surgery? I can't believe your DGD is 14!! We've all been friends for a long time!

JANA - Got snow?

DIANE - how is Laura after her pocedure?

FLO - How goes The Great Room Cleanout?

I got all my bunny blocks together for my baby quilt - all different bright colors - and will piece the border today. I also talked myself into a second block for the spring swap so I'll start tracing birdhouses and birds today. If you are thinking of signing up but have been procrastinating, deadline is end of tomorrow - Sunday. But you have a full two months to make 10 blocks (or maybe 11 or 12 if we get more sigh-ups).

Piece!
mary z

FlorenceM

Re: Saturday, Jan 18

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:22 am

Morning
Maryz, clean out got a good start. It's mostly Joe's junk, so he is doing it. Tomorrow should be done, then I do cleaning . We are thinking alike with plastic totes. We went through 15 Large, need more. Can only pick up 15 at a time, that's all that fits in Fiat & it's a tight fit,.
Maryq, we have a simple drip coffee pot. First one up turns switch on, I set up up at bedtime. I may put it on an appliance timer.
Joe works today, so I get free time. Will finish up lotto blocks.

It's very soggy here, but rain has stopped.
Flo

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 am

Good morning and Happy Saturday,
We are expecting some snow then I think rain but I cant be sure went to the store I was out of salad making I went to ww yesterday and lost 3.8# so far and im happy.
Today is definitely a stay in day so I will be in my sewing room.
I hope you all enjoy your day prayers go out to all.
Lois

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:53 am

Good morning everyone another rainy day here but if this was all snow we would be a long time melting

Sharona Sorry to hear about your week Hope this one is better for you &DH too And prayers for all especially you

Maryq I’m proud of you & all your UFOs completed Know Jen will love her quilt Mom made

Kathy I too thought you & Lori was tall I am 5’2 also Sure remembering Kim that she can get help

Flo Hope the room gets ready for your family Not an easy job

Maryz Maybe rain is better

Sherry Enjoy your games today My team isn’t any good this year so far They have lots of injuries

I got a late start but guess it’s Sat so ok with it
Hope your week end goes great Becca

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:06 am

Good Morning Girls

Guess who won't be leaving the house again today! Still snowing... I'm guessing we've had about 5-6" already... But since it IS "job jar" day... no big deal.. Today's Project...… Wash out Fridge!
But yippee, that won't take long and I can sneak back to sewing room when it's done! :lol: :lol:

Maryz... I'm not sure how I put that scrappy quilt together.... all I know is I'll never make another one like it! :lol: I do remember doing it upstairs and laying pieces out all over the living room floor. The back is 10" cotton squares that I had cut up from left overs, waiting for the perfect way to use them. I thought I was so smart using them for this quilt and not wasting good yardage for backing. Your bunny quilt sounds so cute! I may have to borrow that pattern for my niece!

Flo.... Don't you just love plastic tote boxes! Every time I go to Target I want to pick up some more, then I remember I have 10 empty ones in my garage :lol: :lol: Some how I have extra covers and I just can't figure out how that happens.

Lois.... YEAH YOU! let's call it 4 lbs... that sounds better! Meet you in the sewing room later.

Becca.... I have to say, it does feel pretty good to FINISH something.... If I can just keep myself concentrated on the UFO's and not let my mind wander off to some new project.... I'll be fine. I have been asked to make some baby blankets for a gal I met that works with a project for babies at her church. Will make use of a lot of flannel scraps I have

Lori.... I'm surprised to see you are in the "short girls club" You do look so tall in pictures! In my next life I'm going to be tall, and skinny and be able to sing. And I'm going to skip the DH and just have my kids---but I want my same kids. If I live to be 100, I'll never run out of UFO's! Though I did see a gal on FB that LOVES to finish projects! Can you imagine! It's the PINNING I hate!! We had a black lab that had seizures.. We'd just pet him and let him calm down... didn't happen often but it was scary.

Sharon... Oh my... you have a quite a week...Sounds like you need to spend some time in your "she shed" and get some happy on! Your poor DH to have to spend so long with the DDS. Prayers go to the mother that lost her son... I can imagine no pain greater than losing a child.

Yesterday I finished my swap blocks... Finally figured out how to use my Silhouette Cameo and was able to but clouds and rain drop out of fabric to add to my umbrellas. Will post a picture of that later. Still a lot to learn on that machine. I see a lot of gals on FB use it to cut vinyl, but I don't dare get into that just yet. But I'm glad I have learned how to cut applique pieces...

Was going to go shop at the gal that's selling off her stash, but am thinking I'll give the road crews another day to plow etc. Though I checked traffic cameras and there are some pretty clean areas on the freeway... I'd had to take back roads to get there and they are much worse. Maybe tomorrow! MN does a GREAT job at clearing highways! But I'm STILL so happy I don't have to go to work!

Time for more coffee.. then clear the deck and do the fridge... if I feel really ambitious I might pull a 2nd project from the job jar... but then again.... :lol: :lol: Before I sign off, I'll go post some pictures of my finished UFO's

Wishing you all a Super Saturday! KEEP WARM

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:13 am

Good morning!

Oh we got snow! Michael has us all shoveled out and the roads are cleared. Aaron was busy yesterday during the storm, but was off by noon, just a short shift. Now were are just plain cold, about 18 right now.

Not much here, same stuff different day. Well, except this time, the toilet flush handle broke. We went and got a replacement. Wonderful handyman, Michael, was trying to unscrew and remove the old broken part, to make sure he got the right one. Except the nut would not loosen and come off. He fussed with it and got other tools, still wouldn't budge. So he figured to saw it off later. Lovely assistant here, me, suggested several times that it might be a left hand nut, meaning it turns the other way to loosen. Oh no, Michael says he can see the threads and keeps trying - sounds like he is tightening the nut. So, when we get to the store for the new replacement, the package instructions tells him, it is a left hand nut! I was right! Oh, I will not let him forget that I was right! LOL! Oh, the fun here! Lovely assistant is not only that, but has brains too!

Oh yes, I am tall - 5'9" - never need to shorten my pants. You-tube has videos on tricks to shorten jeans, where you don't cut off the original hem, but stitch just above to shorten. That way, you don't have all those thick seams to go through. Sarah and Sandee are short, both about 5'2", so I do need to shorten their pants.

Do something fun, it's Saturday!

Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Look who finally decided to show up, better late than never, of course that depends on who you ask.

Lois, you got fish for dinner the other day, how was it How do you fix it? I only know fried. I love fish but it sure smells up the house. Maybe if I didn't fry it it wouldn't smell?

Becca, so glad Brodee did well at the doctor. makes me smile when I hear a good report on the twins. They sure are growing and staying healthy, two little chunky monkeys. I'm so glad.

Kathy, dang, your granddaughter is 14? My goodness she got older quite quickly. hope the weight loss works for Kimberly, will surely keep her in my prayers. I really hope this works for her.

Sharona, hope things have gotten better since last week. sorry about your cousin, and for the family who lost their son.

Flo, I just bought a new coffee maker for $20 at Walmart, it has a timer that turns on the coffee before I get up. It's a Mr. Coffee brand. Here coffee pots seem to last about 4 or 5 years before they need to be replaced. Thankfully we are a two pot couple and if one pot dies the other is used twice.

Lois, yay you, dang near 4 pounds, great job girlfriend.

Maryq, cool that you mastered your new toy. what fun you are going to have. Funny, in your next life you are going to be taller, I want to be a little shorter, I think 5'3 is aobut perfect.

Lori, I am shocked to hear you aren't 5'7" I really thought you were taller than just over 5 feet. Hope Jack is still doing better.

Jana, there is also something called Man Sewing with Ron or Rob Arpel, he does something with hemming pants. I think he is on the MSQ site.

I spent my morning getting my oil change. Seems I have 5 lightbulbs out in my car. two for the back license plate. some running and parking lights. the dealer wanted $15 each to replace them. I will have Jerry do it for the cost of the bulbs but first will tell him about Janna's husband and the lefthanded nut.

You all have a great night, see you tomorrow.
Chriss
Psalm 91

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Maryz, I just take pictures with short people so I look tall. lol Your bunny quilt is darling.

Lois, way to go girl.

Maryq, yes, I'm one of the shorties too. When I walk in the morning the shadows are long. It looks like I'm tall and thin. Alas, I get home and it's not to be. You've been going like a crazy woman on those UFO's. The hardest part is not to start something new. I'll see a picture or pattern and start to make it. Then I get bored and
there's another UFO. It's a vicious cycle.

Jana, you are lucky not to have to shorten pants. Even the petite pants are too long for me.

Chriss, I wish I was taller. I would like to 5'5". Not too tall, not too short. Just right. lol Dang, $15. per bulb? That's crazy.

Jack is doing fine. No further episodes. Fingers crossed he doesn't have it again, but I'll know it's just one of those things. I was worried he may have been poisoned.

I got another quilt top quilted today. Nothing fancy, just finished and bound. I have a few I'll take pictures of tomorrow and post. I started working on my Granny's Garden blocks again. They are fun, just a lot of work. I have 24 done, need 18 more. I think I will sew the first 4 rows together to see how it looks.

Have a wonderful evening.

Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”