Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday January 9 2020

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Re: Thursday January 9 2020

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:13 am

And I'm back for a bit!

JUDI - You really got side-tracked yesterday! I have a free-standing cabinet in the garage that my grandfather built, probably 100 years ago. It's where I keep things like extra dishes, jam jars, canner, etc. When warmer weather comes, I'm going to get ruthless cleaning/purging that cabinet. Bill used to make candles and he made all the carnation scented candles for our wedding (28 years next month!) but got rid of everything years ago.

CHRISS - I can't wait until you have your new neighbors full-time and not just for roofing and BBQ's! The key to machine sewing borders is practice. And thank you for the compliment. 8-) I didn't know Rich taught welding. Great to come out of high school with marketable skills! I took afternoon classes at the Vocational school across the street from my high school my junior and senior years so got some business skills and an excellent home-ec education. Corners for piano key borders or other potentially troublesome borders are easy - just make a block to put in each corner! 4-patches and pinwheels are easy to trim to fit any border and it adds another layer of interest to a quilt.

VELDA - nice to see you back in the fold! Hope you read what I just wrote to Chriss about corners and borders. It's also a way to make borders when you are a little short on fabric. You can even add a block to the center of borders to further 'stretch' fabric or to add more interest.

FLO - good luck with the car. Way to rock the ride!

BECCA - your DGS will get more snow than we will. In fact, he will get snow sometimes when all we have is rain. What a treasure you found in that drawer! I have some old photos I need to sort out, too. One of these days when I have nothing left to sew! lol!

SHERRY - hope you don't float away! We've had a LOT of rain here this past week. Lots of flooding in some areas. But like you said, at least it's not snow - yet, anyway.

SHARONA - waving hi to you! Did you get your skylight fixed?

CINDY - hey there! Nice to see you! Yes, I remember Cathy. So sorry to hear about her DD. What happened to her?

And now, off to find another cuppa joe and head to the sewing room. Make it a good one!

mary z

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:25 am

Good morning quilting world!
Lois my husband's family and my son eat venison, I refrain. But what is a button buck? Never hear that term.
Mary I try not to stop and think as then I get tired. I am not a big TV watcher, rarely go to the movies (it takes too long). I can feel age starting to takes it toll but need to move forward. Dad had no more symptoms after I go home. Will hold a couple of his meds for the next couple of days and see what happens. IF it continues, I will make him an appointment.
Vel I have never had a piano key border come out right. It never fits despite my using a calculator. Maybe I really don't know how to do one.
Chriss "running at the back end" means diarrhea. I too use most creative grids or specialty rulers. I too would be skinny if wasn't for DH. Meat and potatoes for him also. I think I could be pretty close to vegetarian if I had the time to put my mind to it.
Cindy Cathy's name sounds familiar, what was her screen name? I remember those better. Was her daughter sick or was it unexpected. Must be so hard to loose a child.
Well, just about time to get ready for work. Got to go check a few other things.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:47 am

Good morning!

My furnace just kicked on. It will be warm here shortly!

Aaron's testimony got postponed again. The guy wasn't feeling well. Uggh! Our State Attorney General has his hand in this trial too. The powers that be are prosceuting many charges and the one we are glad to see, crimminal negligence. It does carry a prison sentence. On one hand, I am glad for the tough sentence possibility, but on the other hand, sad for his family as well. But we make choices, and those choices affect many. We can choose what we do, but can't choose the consquence, it is there.

Tonight starts a new year of our Thursday night classes.

Not much else around here. Need to finish a few UFOs.

Hugs,
Jana

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:58 am

Good Sunny Cold Morning.................

Again I want to say thank you for your prayers. My sister is very happy at her new job. :D

Today I have my yearly physical then food shopping. That will take up the whole day plus laundry.

My neighbors have gone to FL & the nice family has sold their house. I wonder who will move in?

My friend that came to visit came back her DH forgot something. So he did a few little things for me. She asked me to make her an other table topper in cream/blue. I was able to pull 3 fabrics from my stash for that.

Love & Prayers...........Kathy

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:26 am

CindyG, Thank you for the info on Cathy's DD. I knew they had moved her to a larger hospital, but I don't remember what was wrong.

The Estes Park Quilt Guild met last evening, so I went to visit. They had 3 people demonstrating different techniques. It was very interesting especially how one does her binding. I will have to try her way.

I've bought two more shelving units in hopes of getting my sewing room finally organized!

Prayers for those in need.
Lyn

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:21 am

Good Morning girls

My computer is acting up this morning, so I am crossing my fingers that this note will go through!

Eye surgery went just fine... took me longer to have the drops work than the actual procedure. The drive home was a little blurry, but I took a back way to avoid the highway. Dr. said I'll have some "floaties" for a couple weeks, then I'll go back to my reg. Eye Dr for check up and see what my new Rx will be for lenses.

Lois... Hope all goes well for your stress echo today! My son is a big deer hunter, though he's not super crazy about venison, but my Mom loved it.. so he would save some for her.

Diane.... Oh gosh.. I wish I was there... I'd love to go "shopping" with you.

Maryz…. Will be working on my swap blocks today too... I got 10 sets of applique all cut out and ready to fuse. Will Sue get a chance to stop by on her way home.

Velda... Love Piano key border, though I think I've done it only once... Takes a little math for it to come out right. It would be nice wouldn't it , if we could know a little about the Vet and make a quilt sort of "custom made"

Chriss… You are so right... a treadmill at home quickly becomes a place to hang clothes.. DEX wanted one once, so he got one and it ended up a place to hang laundry! There was a Snap-Fitness place right across the parking lot from where I worked... do you think I could get my butt over to walk! HA HA HA.

Becca... All went well with eyes! I have some of my Grandmother's Linens too! Just can't let them go... still have some flour sack dish towels she appliqued on. It's kind of shame that they are stored away.

Judi... The only time I seem to clean out a cupboard is when I'm looking for something..! Kitchen cupboards are in my "Saturday job jar" projects. Now I'm dreading Saturdays!

Cindy... I saw Cathy's notice on FB this morning.. SO sad. I though I had her address, but I don't. My heart goes out to her. Hope all is going well for you. Busy time of year I'm sure for you.. W-2's and year end reports!

Sherry... As soon as the weather warms up.. I'm headed out to my Garage to purge "stuff" There's the big garage sale at my son's MIL's in May, so I'm going to take a LOT of junk down there to get rid of. I get my flu shot every year!!! And after having pneumonia in August.. I got the booster shot for that too.. Now if they would come up with a shot to prevent head colds... I'd get that too!

Valerie.... I'd be skinny too, if I didn't like all the "bad" stuff.. cake, cookies, good bread! And if I like veggies.. I'd have it made!

Jana.... Has to be so frustrating for the trial to be postponed all the time. Maybe the guy is rethinking his decision and will opt for a plea deal.

Kathy.... Good news that your sis is loving her job! Makes it all worth while when you love what you do! Hope you get some NICE new neighbors and not more noisy ones!

Lyn... Oh gosh, can I come help you with your new shelves! I love organizing.. Though you wouldn't know it if you saw my sewing room and spare bedrooms that are quite tossed right now!

Since it's after 10 here already, I guess I better get in gear.. Need more coffee for sure and then I'll get dressed. After I've done the shine up, up stairs I'm headed down to sew and have a waltz or two with Mr. Maytag. I'm in the process of piecing the back for a scrappy quilt I did last winter. The top is all 2.5" squares and the back will be all 10" squares that I cut up a long time ago from odds and ends. Would love to get that done. Then I'm going to play with my Spring Swap blocks.

Have a great day everybody

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:52 am

Thanks for tips on piano key borders. I know there are many styles and methods. I have mine finished and it came out better than I expected. Only had to shave a little on two sides. I used left over 6" blocks for corners. All left over strip sets from border went into backing. I will take pictures at the clubhouse to share.
I see where Maryz used a miter corner on her Scrappy Stars, which looks really neat.
When you do Scrappy look with different size pieces, it makes it easier to make sides come out even.
Anyway, enjoy your input and appreciate your advice.
Thanks
Vel
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Return to “Sew ins”