Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

wednesday August 7th

Daily discussions.
womster

Re: wednesday August 7th

Post by womster » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:44 am

Good morning!

Judi - I watched youtube videos before I started my tshirt quilt - they are helpful. I used the recommended stabilizer and it was a piece of cake. I saw how much it helped when I missed about an inch at the edges of one of the shirts. How sweet the Liam loves to be covered in grease.

Diane - what a wonderful representation of our armed forces. Bless you for doing this for them. War is hell.

Becca - prayers for the twins continue. Your Monday sounded like mine. It's so nice to put days like that out of their misery! Hope today's errands go better.

Flo - that's awful about your a/c. Hope it's a quick fix.

Chriss - thanks for the antenna info. What a great idea to put it on the old DirecTV pole. And to use the wire to connect it to the house. Brilliant! Congrats on Grandma's house being in escrow. Enjoy your training for the job you're not being groomed for. The phrase 'byte me' comes to mind. You have a much better attitude.

Valerie - plumbing issues are not pleasant - hope it's a quick fix without a lot of water damage.

Cindyg - there's going to be a Downton Abbey movie? I'll wait until it comes to tv, but how exciting! Hope you like today's label better.

Tina - lovely to see you! Prayers continue for your dad.

Today I'm going to preshrink the warm and natural batting. I will only be doing stitch in the ditch quilting on the tshirt quilt. The additional fabric came yesterday so woohoo! I didn't sleep much last night - my heart kept going on these runs so I shall be taking a nap today. Have a wonderfully blessed day today. xoxo Sharona

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:50 am

Good morning!

Very muggy, very cloudy, so hopefully it will rain.

Michael sharpened his trenching shovel yesterday. He and Ethan leveled the swingset and dug to find the leaky sprinkler pipe. Then came in - too hot outside. Today they will do a little more. We will need a run to Lowes or Home Depot for anchors to keep the swingset from moving or tipping - safety factor.

I worked on my October wall hanging - all the applique is fused - the background is a bit busy, so I am not sure it won't get redone. Ethan picked all the fabrics for the applique pumpkins, we will see how it looks this morning.....

Sarah sent a text - first major meal done, all loved it! That was last night's dinner. She also said the girls eat like birds - hardly anything! She is used to feeding boys and we all know how they eat! She planned well, so no one will be hungry. We are going up early Thursday morning to take her DH as he is helping. We will take Ethan as well, but he will come back with us.

A bit of waltzing with Mathilda, and boogeying with Mr Samsung today. The city fixed my water. Some lovely (idiot) person from the city, when they were maintaining their side of the valve put a extra washer in that caused a constriction, which in turned lowered my pressure, so the sprinklers didn't work right. Now we are much better, since the city removed the extra piece. Fixed my niece's as well, they broke the valve so it wasn't opening right to let water through.

Well, time to get going, do something fun!

Hugs,
Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:17 am

Good morning,

JUDI - you whipped that quilt out pretty fast! Does your DD know you made it or is it a birthday surprise? Tee shirt quilts are easy, actually. Cut out what you want to use for your block. Cut oversize by 1/2 to 1 inch. Fuse lightweight stabilizer onto the back of the blocks. Trim to size. And don't forget, many shirts have smaller designs on front, over pockets, or on sleeves. You can use those to make 4-patch blocks or on the borders. Several years ago Autumn asked me to make one for her hubby, Aaron, once and sent me the shirts and a design of how she wanted it. She doesn't quilt, but she put a row of extra pieced blocks in to bring it up to size. Aaron still loves that quilt.

CHRISS - does this mean you have an intended buyer who isn't complaining about the roof? hey! Sounds like congrats will soon be in order about your job! I have faith! They want you. No, our flooring, bathroom tile, and new rock hearth will be installed Aug 19, 20, 21 and the bedroom/closet carpet goes in Aug 27. We are still in the demolition faze but taking advantage of help while it's available. Happy New Gas to your car for it's 19,000 miles. How old is your car?

VAL - seems like you get more than your share of crises. Hope the plumbing is OK now. And that your hubby doesn't share his cold.

FLO - when you are typing a post and it disappears, try hitting CTRL and Z. It will very often make your post reappear. Hope your appointment goes well.

DIANE - IMPRESSIVE!!! and I no longer say 'gray or senior' moments. We call ourselves SEASONED Citizens. lol!

BECCA - I hope today goes better today than yesterday. Your twins are little fighters. When in utero the fetal lungs aren't perfused with blood as the baby isn't using the lungs, so the heart has a valve that bypasses them - sort of a shortcut to the rest of the body. But immediately after birth that valve is supposed to automatically close, diverting the blood to the lungs with the baby's first breath. Sometimes, in very early births, that valve doesn't close right away. Meds can often fix it, but if not, a short, simple surgical procedure is needed to correct it. Fortunately, neonatal medicine has come a long way in recent years.

KATHY - yes, if you're reading, please let us know how you are doing! We miss you!

SHARONA - what a bummer about your appointment getting cancelled. That has happened to me, too. And it was someone else who cancelled their appointment but the person on the desk accidentally cancelled mine instead. Aggravating! I hope you were able to get another time slot soon. Why are you pre-shrinking your W&N?

TINA - I'm praying for a break in your temps! I couldn't keep up with your Grands' school schedules! It sure doesn't give families or babysitting grammas much time off does it. Your quilt will be fun. Are you making two?

CINDY - we watched Downtown Abbey for a while but got tired of them killing off our favorite characters so we dropped them. I pick blackberries in a big patch on my daily morning walk every year. We had 3 taken down yesterday in our front woods. One was a dead cedar, 3-ft at the butt, and we let our guy take it for whatever he can get out of the logs. The other two were big alders leaning over our front neighbor's back yard and we were concerned they might fall in a winter storm. We'll be splitting firewood once our floor project is done. The quilt I'm working on is for Bill's sis and hubby for their new home. Some blocks are log cabin, some are sawtooth stars in a unique arrangement. I'm designing as I go. Mostly in blacks/whites with some red for pop. We'll see how it turns out . .

JANA - glad your water issues are fixed! Hope for good! Is the swing set all done now?

Yesterday was busy for Bill and friend Bob. They got a lot done. Today they will remove the wood stove and the old carpet in our walk in closet and at least some of our bedroom carpet. I HOPE we are keeping our bed in place and Bill and I can move it later. What a HUGE job this has turned out to be! We still need to remove washer/dryer, hot water heater, toilet, vanity, and king bed, but we think we can do those by ourselves. Tonite we are having a gathering of 5 couples who are all friends of Bob & Betsy, too. An outdoor taco feed. so I'll be doing a bit of cooking today.

Make your day a good one!
mary z

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:14 am

Good Morning Girls

Man, I could not get to sleep last night, hence I slept until 10: this morning, now I'm behind on everything I need to do today! Definitely getting groceries today! UGH

Judi... Good luck with the Hockey quilt! I think there's a tutorial on MSQ too on how to do T-shirt quilts. I swore I would never do another one, but they really aren't that bad. It's much easier if the shirts are all pretty much the same size.... the ones I had were all different sizes. I did find that sewing the seams with my walking foot helped a lot.

Diane.... THANK YOU for your service in honoring these brave men at QOV

Becca.... Every night in my prayers I think of your little twins... and pray that God watches over them and gives them strength to heal and grow!

Flo... You sold your other house? See what I miss being gone for so long! Congratulations.. hope the closing goes smoothly!

Chriss….. You sold Gramma's house too? That IS great news! Will keep the prayers coming for you too that it all closes without glitches! Three months is a long time to wait, but time will go fast... right???

Valerie... Hope DH is feeling better soon.... and by all means I hope he doesn't give it to Dad!

Cindy... thanks for the info on how to get your typing in color! This old dog learned a new trick today!

Tina... I'm so excited, by the time I get home from Grocery shopping my Christmas Block should be in my mail box. I think I'll take them with me to Wisconsin tomorrow to show them off. I'm going to "quilting day" with my Son Shawn's MIL. How is your Dad doing?

Sharon.... What do you do to pre-shrink your batting? I've never done that. Sometimes I throw it in the dryer for a little bit to fluff it up. Enjoy your nap!

Jana.... Having no water pressure is almost as bad as having NO water at all! I sure miss having my own well for water! Glad they have you all fixed up!

Maryz…. Are you counting the days until this project is OVER! Man that sounds like a lot of work! But it will be wonderful when it's all done!!! Enjoy your taco party!

Well, I gotta get in gear... need to shower and make my Target run, then come home and get stuff ready to go in the morning. I'll be here in the morning, then gone for a couple days and will be back Sunday Morning.

until tomorrow... I wish you all a joyful day

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:40 am

Becca, could you get my groceries since you're already going? lol

Judy, Maryq did a t-shirt quilt recently. She might have some pointers.

Chriss, fingers crossed everything goes well with the house.

Tina, that's a long time to be that hot. Do you have a swamp cooler?

Valerie, bummer about the plumbing. Hope DH gets better soon and doesn't spread his cold around.

Maryz, tacos sound good. What time?

Welcome back Maryq. Sounds like you had a busy visit.

Well the boys have been walked. Now to vacuum and dust. I need to get a couple of quilts layered today. We'll see how it goes.

Have a great day.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Sew ins”