Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday, August 29

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Monday, August 29

Post by suzette58 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Good morning everyone.
I hope everyone is safe and sound after this weekend. Yesterday when it stopped raining I worked on the girlfriend quilt and it's almost done. I also cut out the fabric for a table runner for fall. And it's for me! It's in the latest issue of quick quilts. It's shown with Halloween fabrics. I had some fall stuff and thought it would look great. Have a great day.

Suzette
Suzette

momof6quilts

Re: Monday, August 29

Post by momof6quilts » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:53 am

Yesterday we did church here in town and then went to friends house for lunch. Our church was way up beyond Bath, NY and we didn't feel that driving in the wind and rain was the thing to do.

I woke up to the sound of chickens this morning.... I forgot I'm watching my "grand chickens" for two weeks! The zoning officer wasn't too happy to see them in my daughters yard so they came to see me and then my son in law is going to try and take them back. I think it is pretty hard to "hide" chickens in a development! They have had chickens for five years. But that fire they had brought the zoning officer in the back yard, opps!

Today I get to learn all my FIL medications. We stopped up to their house both days this weekend. My MIL's leg did look better yesterday :-)

Well, I have to start my day, Tia brought me three flats of tomatoes from Lydia last night. I'm making more soup and I'm going to pressure can it. I tried my pressure canner out Saturday night on green beans and I think I can use it now. I have to admit I'm a little afraid of that thing. Anyway I canned 14 jars of beans..... I can't wait for the corn to be ready!!! We won't go hungry this winter. I'm living out Proverbs 6!
Go to the ant,
Consider her ways and be wise,
She provides her supplies in the summer,
And gathers her food in the harvest.

But what I really WANT to follow is Proverbs 31:22
She makes coverings for her bed;
Yep, I'd rather be quilting! But there is a season for everything.

Have a great day and keep looking up!
Vicky

Chrissy1

Post by Chrissy1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:19 am

Anyone heard from Kathyquilts yet?????

kho

Post by kho » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:39 am

Good Morning everyone. A bit of troubles sleeping last night. Thinking about the last several weeks. The old little dog hasn't been sleeping the best either. She woke up at some point and by the time I got up she had piddled on my carpet in the living room. I threw the runner in the wash and sopped up what I could. Today I shall bring out the carpet cleaner and go over it and I will do another spot or two. I was thinking how soon I should try it and she solved the problem for me. Good Dog-well maybe not..

It's going to be sunny today and rain tomorrow afternoon. In the midst of all of my dealings with Mom I did manage to can my peaches. I think it was last week but I don't remember for sure. They are done. Our tomatoes were mislabeled-every plant is a cherry one. I may look for some to make chili sauce. I had that recipe on a card enclosed in plastic and the plastic has a hole in it. I should look and see if I can read it

The sewing machine up at Mom's belongs to a friend of Scotts. It won't be coming here-unless she doesn't want it back.

Vicky, I love the Proverbs scripture. I shall show that one to my kids and dh.Aww, I have the King James version, but I like 13-she seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands.

Also 18- She perceiveth that her merchandise is good:her candle goeth not out by night. That sounds a bit like quilting, all night. LOL

Have a great day folks, and I pray for those in the path of Irene. Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes for myself and my family at this time. Hugs, Sandy,glad to have some normalcy, even if it's one day at a time.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:23 am

Good Morning, Greast scriptures Vicky, I enjoy them. Today is manic mondsy here I have lots to do DH has to go to the chiropractor for his back. Today I will go with my sis to weight watchers, we will probably sign up for another 8 weeks. I still have 15 to go to my goal but sis has a few more. She needs the moral support. Dh refuses to sign back up says it is for girls,,,,,oh well he has to do it on his own, I will only cook weight watcher friendly till he is down another 30 lbs. I miss baking....a lot. But none of my neighbors want any baked good either so I will refrain. I did manage to make 2 coin purses on the embroidery machine last night onbly one of them came out good the other kinda ugly. I will try again today to refine my choice of thread and fabric. Cut out 3 purses today too..need to get them done as they are sold.

I will put tomatoes into the dehydratore today, these will be made into tomato powder. Just learned about this, You can then add tomato flavor to anything, or make your own tomato paste without all that cooking down.
My tomatoes are just about done in the garden. ppotatoes are dug and it will be time to put the garden to bed, I didn't plant any fall crops becasue the mosquitos were so bad couldn't work out there much.
Sue glad the storm went easy on you. Most of the Long Island area was with out power so I am betting Kethy is sitting by candle light.
She seems pretty self relient to me I bet she was prepared.

Sandy comtinued prayers for you and your family. We will go to the cemetary in a couple of weeks to put my Mom's ashes on her fathers grave as was her request. The final chapter.

XXXOOO BBL

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:32 am

Good morning, I am here and in one piece... sleepovers ain't for sissies.... what a long weekend... we decided that once a month is plenty.

we went and saw SpyKids 4D.. a fun movie for kids.. I even liked it...

Vicky.. after you are done with the first scripture you can move right on to the second... glad your MIL's legs look better.. happy tomatoes...

Suzette, fun to work on the girlfriend quilt... hope things are drying up where you are.......

Kathy??? where are you... maybe she doesn't have power?

O'Dorothy, how was the reunion??? hope it was fun.... I wish my family did that kind of thing...

Sandy, glad all went well yesterday... I have found that making funeral arrangements brings up lots of great memories... hope you had tons of them.

Lynn, welcome to the forum.. it's a fun place to be...

Carole, we haven't heard from you in a few days.. anything new? continued prayers.

Tina, thanks for the update on Jaz...

Maryz.. what a great family.. thanks for explaining the fingernails... I was curious... how old are the grands?

Judi, I am amazed at all you dehydrate.. what fun...

I have today off because we have a court hearing.. this is where we get more rights regarding Marilyn.. we will have more authority..so that will be a blessing... I am taking a vacation day today and friday so this will be a nice short week...

the fires are still burning around here.. they have evacuated a town and closed two schools.. it's like a ghost town around here... really strange.. I am not in any danger, even though the fires are close mile wise they are a long ways off...

hope you all have a super day...
Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:55 am

Good Monday Morning!

And good night, Irene!! I tried to call Kathy this morning but only got a quick busy signal. She is at 27' elevation and said no storm surge had ever come that high before (a statement that tempted fate if I ever heard one!). She said if she had to evacuate, she would walk to the high school across the street. And the news says that most of Long Island is without power. I hope she has candles and a hand-stitching project handy!

LYNN in NEV - welcome! Glad to see you got out of NY in time! I'm sure there's a very interesting story as to how you got from the East Coast to a 35,000 acre ranch in Nev. What are you working on these days?

SUZETTE - so happy to hear that life is pretty much back to normal for you! I don't have that Quick Quilts mag, but I made a noet on my shopping list to take a peek at an issue next time I'm at the store so I can see what you're making.

VICKY - love your proverbs! I grew up with chickens and think they would be fun to have now, but we travel so much, we'd have to get a chicken-sitter too often. My nephew got five chicks this spring. He lives in Renton, a large town near Seattle, on a crowded cul-de-sac. I'm waiting for the zoning police to come by and ask for eggs!

SANDY - glad things are pulling together for you in regards to your mom and the service. And happy you are having some normalcy in your life. Give your good/bad little old dog a hug for me. Sounds like she need one, poor baby.

JUDI - you are a purse-making, food-drying, weight-losing queen - and my idol! congratulations on it all!

CHRISS - glad the sleepover is over. Did anyone actually sleep? I remember those days. I feel for you. Maybe you caught a nap at the movie. Oh, and now you get to watch all the kids' holiday movies this year!! You'll love that! Good luck at the hearing today. BTW, my DGSs are 14 and 17 (to be 18 in a few weeks).

I only have 2 more Autumn Star blocks to finish and then I'll start sewing rows together. I am ending up with 336 2-1/2" HST's (the 'ears' from my 3x6" flying geese). I think I'll use them in the borders. I have my uglies and laundry caught up, so I will sew most of the day, I think.

Anyone heard anything from Lois & Delores?

Hope your day is grand!

mary z

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:59 am

Good Morninig Girls

Another beautiful day in MN, a little cool but clear skies! It's Monday so it's back to work for me. Already looking forwarad to the weekend. I worked so hard this weekend on "fall cleaning" that I think this next weekend, I'm going to play a LOT! Will be nice to have an extra day off next Monday for Labor Day!

Had a great day in the sewing room yesterday... got Lotto blocks done, worked up a few more Lodge swap blocks, and now have Nolan's quilt laid out on the living room ready to pin. That will be project #1 this weekend, to get that quilted and bound. Talked to Jen last night for a minute and DGD Kaya's school is having an auction in Nov. so I'm thinking I finish up another quilt top I have and send up to Anchorage for them to use.

Last nite when I went to find myself something for supper... I ended up complete scrubbing out my fridge.. OMG it is so empty now! Definately need to get to the grocery store this week. All that's in there now is a 1/2 gal of milk and some eggs! Seems like I just got groceries... who eats all this food? OH OH must be me!

Sandy... thought and prayers continue for your family in the weeks ahead. My Mom passed in October 2009 and I still think to call her!

Vicky.. that's a great verse.. My favorite is still "This is the day the Lord has made, Let us be glad and rejoice" There is a verse some where about a snail that my Dad used to quote all the time, but I sure can't remember it now. I'm not much for vegetables, but I do love canned green beans. Ever hear of "dilly beans" My Dad used to make them every year.. they were a hit with the family.

Guess I better start moving this morning. Think I'll get the kitchen cleaned up again before I shower for work.

Hope you all have a great day!

Maryq

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:24 am

Good morning everyone! :o) Welcome Lynnop! :o) I will be sewing today :o) You will not believe this but I have ants in my laptop! I sat down in my recliner yesterday and put my laptop on my lap and ended up with a couple ants on me, which I couldn't figure out where they had come from as I was up walking around when I felt them on my arms. So last night when I was see what you all were up to I sat in my recliner again and started feeling ants on me, we turned the living room light on and I saw them coming out of my keys! This is the craziest place I have ever had ants and I can't figure out why, I don't eat anything around it. DH sprayed yesterday and then last night he sprayed a rag and we left me laptop sitting on it all night, I have had 2 get on me so far but I don't have it on my lap I left it on the rag on the end table LOL you should see how I'm setting, very funny indeed! Well you all have a wonderful day :o)
Prayers for everyone who needs them.
Tina

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:02 am

Suz - it's hard to believe that fall and Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I pieced a table topper but haven't quilted it yet.

Vicky - you made me laugh about hiding chickens in the development. Is the pressure canner like a pressure cooker? I imagine that it is.

Chrissy - I'm wondering the same thing.

Sandy - I hope Scott's friend doesn't want the machine back so you can have it.

Grammioe - you girls teach me something new all the time. I've never heard of tomato powder. Sorry your skeeters were too bad to replant your garden.

Chriss - I hadn't heard about fires. I mostly heard about Irene all weekend. I have a short week, too. I'm taking Friday off.

Maryz - your Karate kids are so cute and handsome. I was surprised the guy painted their nails and glad you explained it. You will have that quilt together in no time.

Maryq - Have a good day at work. Lucky you to have all next weekend to sew.

I hope Kathy is OK. She's probably just powerless. I wonder if she's working today. I am. I got to sew some on Saturday but didn't get as far as I wanted. I had planned on sewing yesterday but the DH asked me to go to Frye's with him to return a swamp cooler he bought theh week before and then eat out. So I went and we didn't get home 'til 3:30 at which time we took a nap. It was so hot yesterday - 109*. Saturday was 107*. The good news is that later this week the temps are suppose to be in the 90's instead of triple digits and they are saying 50% chance of rain on Thursday and Friday.....of course we are leaving for the lake on Thursday evening but that's OK. I hope it does rain some at the lake because more than 1/2 of it is gone. I'd better get busy here.

I hope you can all fondle fabric today.

Return to “Sew ins”