Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday, August 25th, 2011

Daily discussions.
cindyg

Re: Thursday, August 25th, 2011

Post by cindyg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:23 am

Tina - did you stay at home while your power was out? I think I would have gone and hung out at a restaurant/library/mall.

Sue - wasn't the rain wonderful? It didn't last very long though and now the sun is out. Have you stepped outside yet today? Talk about a sauna. I wonder how much rain the lake got. And this weekend is going to be awful. I'm not going anywhere except out to dinner - LOL.

Sharona - good luck getting to your sewing room. You have to peel green chilis before you freeze them?

Carole - I get steamed every time you mention "the ex". What a sick jerk!

Irish - We have the M. D. Anderson Cancer Hospital here. They are doing so much research it would make your head spin. They are coming up with a little good news all the time but I'll be glad when they have a real break-thru.

momof6quilts

Post by momof6quilts » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 am

I thought I'd get on as I have a few minutes. I'm up to my ears in tomatoes! Today is veggie soup day. That's where you puree the tomatoes, throw in everything int he garden (whole) then cook down and puree the whole mess, it is Caleb's FAVORITE!!!! Yesterday I canned two caners full of whole tomatoes and put on the spaghetti sauce before running up to my MIL's. Then I came home and started to can the sauce only to find that the canner had been dropped and had a big hole in it! But I have a back up canner, you won't believe it I put that on the stove and it has a hole in it too! But it is a tiny one and I was able to finish the job. I have to run out and buy a new canner before next week when the peach order comes in. I ordered four bushels. Tia just called and asked if we were busy tonight can they come over for supper, of course I said yes, she is bringing me a five gallon bucket of green beans! I told yes, bring them but she has to help me freeze them :-)

Well I hope everyone is having fun sewing and all.

I miss you all,
Vicky

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:29 am

Wow..we 're getting rain! Wonderful at last.

Cindyg...I will try and make the Houston Quilt Show this year if at all possible...have to wait and see.

Sue...do you only make quilts from Civil War fabrics? I like them but I prefer Batiks and the '30's Reproduction prints.

Going to go enjoy the rainfall now.
1QN

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:17 am

Well Good afternoon Pals
I thought I would be a sweetie this morning and get up early to take out all the trash and mow the backyard. Well the key on the mower doesn't work so I had to pull the cord. I remembered that DH starts it on the driveway and not on the grass so after a couple of tries it actually started. So the backyard got mowed but if you look at it you would probably ask me how much did I have to drink before I did it ROTFLOL!!!! But it is done. the only drawback was when i went to pull a clump of weeds away from the mimosa trees that are trying to grow and pulled up a family of red ants as well. My right hand is stinging very nicely and blisters are popping up all over. UGH!!! This was my morning.
Now I need to go back and read up on all your excitement. BBSoon

1QN - I am still hoping to go to the Houston Show as well.

Vicky - How wonderful to be canning all those wonderful veggies. They sound devine and very Yummy.
Joan – I LOVE your Summer Porch and how you quilted it is awesome. Now comes the next fun part in choosing what to make next.

Jana – My home looks like a library. Every corner you turn has books, books and more books. I usually keep the ones I want to read again when I retire. Never did I think I would be quilting when I retired. LOL

Maryq – My DH installed Google Earth a number of years ago. We love it!! Prayers for Jen to find the right job she loves.

Maryz – My roses look very sick right now. Being away and the sprinklers not working did not make them very happy at the moment. I will try to find some old picture of them to share.

Carole – Prayers for you and your DGK’s.

Sue – We have the heat but not the rain. When you are finished with it please feel free to send it my way for just a little bit 

Irish – so sad to hear of the loss of your friends. Prayers for peace and comfort. I am hoping my DD wil go into research when she finished Pharmacy school but not sure what she will do. It would be wonderful to have a cure.

Well my hand has calmed down so I think i will go quilt some. ENJOY and BE SAFE!!!

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:10 am

I'm back :o) I vacuumed, mopped, dusted, cleaned bathrooms, made bed, and got all the laundry washed, dried, hung or folded and put away! Tada! I'm done with my uglies! Now I can sew! Yeah!
Cindy, LOL yes I stayed home, in the house with a washclothe around my neck so help stay a little cool. We don't have a mall and it's a 15+ minute drive into town....LOL I kept hoping it would come back on :o)

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:36 am

You all are just busy bees! lol!! I'm so tired from what you all have done today that I need (another) nap!

Irish, there has GOT to be a quilt block that has a shamrock in it somewhere...how perfect that would be! I have to laugh whenever you talk about not wanting to take off your PJ's to go somewhere..lol! That's me! That's what I hated most about work..getting all dressed and junk.

Earl and I canned our green beans...5 3/4 quart jars. That's just the first picking..there will be more later. We like the 3/4 quart jars instead of the quart jars...it's just enough for the two of us..a quart is a little too much for us to eat.

Kathyquilts...if I was living where you are, I'd be leaving town. That hurricane is possibly heading your way. Lois..you too. You gals batten down the hatches...my prayers for all of you along the East coast. Please be safe!

All I've done on the State Swap quilt is to finally measure it! lol! I'm dragging my feet and I just hate having to muscle it around with the batting and backing.

Well, I'm in the middle of browning some ground beef...Earl loves hamburger helper, so that is what I'll fix for dinner...unless he suggests going to Momma's..then I'll just put the cooked meat in the frig! lol!!

Joanne

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:05 am

Happy Afternoon!

I've been busy in the quilt factory and came out for lunch. It's slow going as every block is different fabrics.

For the Irish among us (and we know who we are!) yes, I have seen a pieced shamrock block. I may even have a pattern. If there is real interest, I'll start hunting.

Rain for Texas!! Yippee-Ki-Oh-Ki-Yay!! Maybe that little bit will bring more!

CINDY - we have a friend from CO who went to MDA in Houston for his cancer treatment. For 2 months they lived in an RV park close to the hospital where a shuttle was provided to/from the hospital. They have nothing but wonderful praises to sing about that hospital!

JULES - can't wait to hear/see what you are going to do with your CW jelly roll!

So much canning and preserving going on! I feel like a slacker. I may pick some blackberries next week. And I may make some applesauce to can next month. That will be the extent of my efforts, I'm afraid.

Well, back to work. CAROLE - you're on my mind!

hugs to all!
mary z

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:09 am

Vicki - that veggie soup sounds great - kind of like V-8 juice only thicker - yummy. I keep expecting to hear that Tia's expecting, don't you?

Jules - I have three little dogs and we need a sitter for our extended Labor Day weekend. Are you available - LOL LOL

Linda - didn't that rain smell wonderful??? I'm not looking forward to this weekend.

Karlene - are you ready for the hurricane?

Teresa - DH's lawn mower has a key but if the battery isn't charged up it won't work and you have to pull the cord. I'm sorry about the ant bites. I hate them - they hurt and then leave scars on me.

Vivian - good to see you. You're a canner, too??

Joanne - you are fixing Hamburger Helper because Earl likes it. I fix it because it takes less than 30 minutes - LOL. My favorite is the hash browns one.

Maryz - they just had a item on the news about M. D. Anderson. It's the foremost cancer hospital in the world so we feel fortunate to have it here....just in case we get cancer.

Back to work. Tomorrow's Friday - YIPPEE!!!!!!

karpet

Post by karpet » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:55 am

Cindyg - we are too far inland for the hurricane winds - might get some of the rain, but we sit just south of Rochester, just south of Lake Ontario.

After a few weeks delay, I'll be starting my second job on Mon. I'm starting to gear myself up, "I think I can, I think I can!" I better get moving on these WIPs or they may never get done.

Chrissy1

Post by Chrissy1 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Well we got Morgan off to college today. He was so quiet but I am sure that once he gets used to everything he will be fine. Good thing is he is only an hour away. I met a mom who came from the tip of Maine 11 hours away. We exchanged phone numbers etc. becasue we are so close to the college and Mo will be coming home quite often that if her daughter needs anything we will help. 11 hours. Gosh there were two girls that came from California.

I see that there are storms coming all over the place. To all you wonderful members here who might be in the path of the storms, please stay safe, and if you need to GET OUT OF HARMS WAY.

I am going to have to get my tooth pulled, which I thoght. The good thing is I really liked the dentist and his staff. I am even making hubby an appointment.
Uncle Leondard is still in the hospital. Aunt Fran is doing pretty good as long as she keeps her hearing aide in!!!!

Sweet dreams everyone.
Prayers and positive thoughts to all in need
PINK PINK PINK!!!!
CHrissy1

Return to “Sew ins”