Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday, August 14

Daily discussions.
cindyg

Re: Sunday, August 14

Post by cindyg » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:56 am

Karlene - goodness, that must have been a bright, full moon! LOL

Jules - sorry you aren't feeling up to snuff but I hope you had a wonderful time at the quilt show anyway.

Lois - how sad. My condolences for the family. Did the young man have a family/kids?

Suz - oh, I feel bad for Wyatt, bless his heart. I wish I was hearing and smelling rain.

Vicky - I didn't read about Emily's eye yesterday but I caught a drift about it here. I hope the meds have kicked in already. Now I'm not comparing your sweet DD to my dog but Jacpot gets his eye poked or scratched all the time. It only takes abouat 2 doses of the drops and he is opening his eye all the way. Good luck with the family meeting.

Grammie - have fun at Sophia's BD party. Sounds like the boys like to come stay at your house.

Carole - hand - machine - hand - machine....are you going to keep this quilt for yourself? If so you will know how to take care of it properly (washing, folding, etc.) and will treat it with kid gloves. If you are going to give it to me you can go ahead and do it by hand because I'll take care of it. If you are giving it to anyone else I think I would machine piece it just to be on the safe side.

Sharona - I'm so sorry you have to go to the grocery store and I'm thankful I don't have to go myself - LOL. All we need is toilet paper and I'll have DH pick that up when he shops for his lunch stuff,

I'm going to read what y'all wrote yesterday afternoon. I can definitely tell I've missed some news. Nothing going on today except laundry. I'm debating on washing my filthy car or not. It's already so dang hot out there but the car needs to be washed because we are desperate for the rain. I failed to work on my sister's quilt yesterday so I'm going to force myself to work on it some today. That aquarium I bought my DH yesterday....he liked it. We put it together last night and put the chemicals in it so today we can go to Petsmart and he can pick out some fish. I hear the washer calling me and it will not shut up so I'll go get started. Need another cup of coffee, too. BBL

I hope you can all fondle fabric today.

Update: Prayers for little Jazmyne. Maryq - your grandson is a beautiful baby.

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:06 am

Morning....

Pouring rain here. Going to do a few uglies then move all my sewing things from one sewing table to the other. I thought I might keep both so I can have a 'big' sewing space. I forgot how much room they took up. I'll put it in the basement next week my shoulders hurt. Those tables are a lot heavier going up the stairs than going down...

Karlene...congrats on opening the thread. It is a bit of fun. Hope you got back to sleep.

Jules....hope you feel all better by tomorrow. You quilt show was amazing, such details & creativity!!

Dear Lois....I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. How shocking for you family. I will be praying for you all.

Suzette...there's nothing like getting together with family for a cook out it makes all the work worth it. Sorry Wyatt got sick so soon. Aren't there meds for that??

Vicky...OH that hurts. I did that once but it got better fast!!

grammie.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sophia!! Boy that first year goes by fast. Have a wonderful time.

Carole....the more I hear about Dr J the more I want to make one. I just want someone to pick out 'all' the fabric. Don't sell hand piecing shout...look how many 'old' quilts there are.

Sharona.....no sewing untill Tues!! That's not fair!! Try to squeeze some in you must take rest breaks when uglying. Can't wait to see the book shelf.

Chriss....never wash my fabric...do the FQs fray much?? I'm in your sore shoulder club today...but...glad you got a lot of sewing done(:(:

Lori....promoting your show sounds like a great job. Meeting so Manny people. And still you got so much sewing done. The children will love the quilts this we know.

Well I'm off to Skype the grands....

Kathy

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:19 am

Good Morning Girls

It's a bright sunny morning here and I am awful stiff and sore from painting yesterday, but I am determined to finish the uglies this morning so I can maybe get some sewing done this morning. I think my machine thinks I have abandoned her! Next trip downstairs I'll take a photo of my new room and post it.

Lois..... so sorry to hear of the loss of your nephew! Prayers for you and his family as well.

Vicky... hope Emily's eye feels better soon! Youch... that can hurt! Gotta be careful with those eyes!

Cindyg.... Wow your DH liked the aquarium??? That's good news... I'd hate to lose you!

Jules....how is your Mum doing? I pray it's all good news. I am not fond of stepping on the scale either. Stepped on when I got home from Alaska and was surprised I hadn't gain a ton! We did not eat well on the road... now that I'm back to "Normal" I'm getting out my old WW books and see if I can drop a few--or even just eat healthier.

Suzette.... sorry to hear that the Chemo has made Wyatt so sick.. poor little guy...It's so hard when the little ones get so sick!

Well, I better get butt in gear here... am so anxious to get to my sewing machine, but need to vac and wash some floor...will feel good to get the place all cleaned up so I don't feel quilty sewing!

Hope y'all have a great day and I'll check in later this afternoon!

Maryq

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:24 am

Good Morning!

KARLENE - congratulations on starting the thread! It's a heady feeling, isn't it! I got to start it a couple of times last year, and I can still feel the rush. lol!

MARY Q - Baby Nolan is SOOO cute! I just want to snuggle him close! And sounds like your house will be a different place by end of business today! You go, girl!

VICKY - I hope Emily's eye is better. I remember when my Autumn scratched her eye on a cat food sack (hey! those things can be dangerous!) she was ultitmately OK, but her eye hurt and was bandaged for a few days.

JANA - sounds like you are getting pretty serious about this moving thing! Fifty boxes!!

TINA - Prayers for your little Jazmyne.

MARY D - thank you for letting us know about Jaz.

CHICKIE - rain and lightening! Glad for your rain, but sorry about the golfers. But isn't it in the golfing handbook to come in out of the lightening?

CINDY - you better check in soon because after what YOU DID yesterday at the pet store, we're worried that Don is busy planning your funeral! You know, a smart woman would have waited and gotten the acquariam for his birthday and then he couldn't get mad. . . And did he ever say 'No, Cindy, you may not buy an acquarious with a fountain.'?? If not, then I think this jury of your peers (that would be us) will have to find you innocent, if by no other reason than insannity. lol!

JULES - hope you're feeling better soon. But I'm sure the quilt show was worth it, even feeling a bit under the weather.

LOIS - I am so sorry to hear about your nephew. What a shock! Did he have a family? Most definitely, he, your brother, and all your family will be in my prayers. Especially tomorrow - the day of the memorial. And the day after that - that most empty of days.

SUZETTE - chemo can be such a mixed blessing. Did they give Wyatt any anti-nausea medicine with the chemo? Our friend, Lois, has been getting chemo since mid-March and they docs warned her it is the kind that will make her very sick. But with every dose, they give her a powerful anti-emetic, and she has never been sick a single day. And even if Wyatt was given a med, maybe a different one would work better for him. I would for sure talk to his doctor about it. Prayers for him. He is really a brave little guy!

JUDI - so sorry about the 5#. You work hard for a month to lose it, but it comes back in 3 days. How can that be?? Life isn't fair. But you'll lose it all quickly, I know. and you had such a good time at the show!

CAROLE - Are you going to buy a Dear Jane book? There are so many ways to do a Jane - colors, themes, sizes, etc. Do you know how you would do yours? I think if I were doing one - and I am still considering it - I would probably do a mixture of machine and hand, depending on the block. some are pretty awesome applique!

SHARONA - for sure you want to get some groceries, because you definitely don't want anyone gnawing on your rulers! lol!

CHRISS - if your fabric for your lodge blocks are in the wash, does this mean that your Chriss-mas blocks are in the bag?? Bet they are gorgeous! Hope your neck is better soon. Boy, been there, done that! Aleve and IBU - drugs of choice at our house. And I think our 'rub' is Icy Hot. And you are NOT a hippo!! You are beautiful! I know. I've met you!

LORI - you were one busy girl yesterday!! But sounds like it was all fun busy-ness!

Our day at the shipyard yesterday was mucho interesting! We got to go on the U.S.S. Nimitz! It's in dry dock - which was awesome to look down and see - until the end of the year. No planes though. When the carriers come in for maintainance, the air wing flies off to Whidbey Island or CA. Also in dry dock were two subs - one a Trident class and one a smaller fast attack. Last family day - 10 yrs ago, we got to tour a Trident sub. It was fun to see my SIL's office. It was the first time even our DD was allowed to see it. I did notice one glaring lack on his desk, though, so I've promised to get him a framed photo of me ASAP. lol!

Today will probably see me at my sewing machine. I am about 3/4 done with my thirty Chinese Lantern blocks. and I found a quilting panto in my Nolting catalog that carries the theme of the quilt beautifully, so I'm going to be ordering that on Monday.

you all have a special day today. And I will be saying a special prayer for all the intentions of this wonderful group.

Mary Z

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:34 am

Oh, CINDY - so glad to hear that Don liked the acquariam! you dodged one, there. Can you drive your car through a car wash? I hate to think of you out there in the heat washing your car. On the other hand, you could soak yourself first and be cool about it!

KATHY - those tables do take up a lot of space. But I sure like having my "L" set-up. I sure hope you have some help carrying those tables up and down the stairs!

MARY Q - when you say 'downstairs', do you mean a basement or just the lower level of your house?

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:01 am

Talked to the DGS and they are coming to spend the night here. That will give DD a chance to clean up after the party, The bread just came out of the oven. i filled the dehydrator this morning with mixed veggies and a few trays of cucumber chips. Tomorrow I am going to try cabbage, I will have the makings for some great vegetable soup this winter. We will take the boys to the orchard to see if they have any peaches to can too. If it isn't raining we will head to the park too. Must keep "Pa" busy in his retirement, I did see some rain around the Dallas area on the news but it didn't look like enough. So more prayers for rain and maybe a little rain dance too. Also prayers for all the needs here. XXXOOO

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:02 am

YIPPEEE I'm done with chores.. my house is so clean, if my kids came over they would think they are in the wrong house...or wonder if I'm having company!

I could go out and do some yard work,,, but I just took a shower so I'm all clean and smell purty... hate to get sweaty outside---yeh that's my excuse.... I'm too clean to go outside & sweat! Think I'll head down to the sewing room! YIPPEEEE that's much more fun that whacking weeds anyway!

Maryz... I have a split entry house... come in front door and go Up to Living room etc... then go down to 3 bedrooms, little family room and laundry. When Jen and Michael were here, the occupied the lower level... now that they are gone I've cleaned it all so it looks almost like a picture in a magazine--not really.... but it's comfy!

Hope you all are having a great day... I'm going to go PLAY

check ya later
maryq

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:31 am

Good morning - just a quick stop by here as I am getting for Church and need to pay attention to my lesson that I am teaching - I put off preparing it until now - shame on me!!

DH and I got all the painting stuff he needs to get it done - I am the one that usually does all the painting etc -- but I can't get up on a ladder anymore - so DH is doing it - under my supervision - we will see how that goes - LOL

You are in my prayers - keeping an eye out for the updates -

Hugs
Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:51 am

MARY Q - I'm with you! If you are all purty now, for sure you don't want to go outside and undo all that!! Your house sounds like mine: Split entry with our big bedroom/bath and a big family room and laundry downstairs and upstairs is the kit, DR, LR, and 3 bedrooms - none of which are used as bedrooms anymore. They now house the office/sewing/quilting. If the kids came home to live, they'd be sleeping in tents in the back yard! lol!

When I said no plans for the day, I forgot about uglies and laundry. Sigh. So that's what's going on here. And, like Cindy, I got real brave and made a serious change. No new pets, but I did worse: I moved the coffeemaker. It's now on the other side of the stove - a full 8 feet away. I've never, EVER moved the coffee maker before. DH hasn't noticed yet. He's just now getting over the Big Silverware Move of '96. We'll see how this goes. More to the point, Snickers' cookie jar has been moved, too! However, he adapts more quickly than Bill.

Well, back to the salt mine. Hopefully I'll get to my blocks this afternoon.

carole

Post by carole » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:58 am

Sharona - DWR is double wedding ring. This is a summer project that my traveling buddy and I chose to work on this summer.

Marilynsgramma - Not sure of the court date yet - at least I haven't heard. But I think DD said sometime next week. I pray that Kenneth is strong enough to tell the Judge what his father is really like.
In Sept last year - the man assaulted Kenneth and so he has a reason to be afraid. As soon as I hear of the date I will let you know. We need all the prayers we can get. Thank you for thinking of us.

CindyG - I will be keeping the DJ quilt. Still can't decide how to do it. I think that I will just jump in when I get this DWR done. By then I should have made up my mind. LOL That is before I lose my mind doing 200 and something blocks. lol

Kathy - Join me in making DJ. You are right - there are a lot of old quilts that are hand pieced that are still around. I have done two queen size quilts that I hand pieced - the fan and the dresdan plate and they are just fine. I did machine quilt them though. I think I will do it by hand. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

MaryZ - I am almost positive that I am doing it by hand - Kathy brought up a good point - look at all the old quilts out there that are still around. It will make it easier when I have to watch the devil dog at night when DD goes to either poker or billiards. Yes, indeed I still have to watch my cotton pal or he starts looking for fabric to mouth. LOL Will he ever outgrow that???? Maybe I should be calling Caesor to come and take control of my devil dog. I do have the book it is by "Brenda Manges Papadakis."

Well I better get to the DWR but never fear I will BBL

Hugs,

Carole

Return to “Sew ins”