Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday, August 1st, 2011

Daily discussions.
auntjana

Re: Monday, August 1st, 2011

Post by auntjana » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:10 am

Good quiet morning from around here! The sun is shining and I can't believe that it is the first of August already! I still have so much to do!

Had FIL and his wife over for dinner and they stayed and visited for awhile. I am so upset over how some families treat their parents! It is the family on the wife's side that has gone and done some under-handed - back-dooring to gain control of her money! The stress and worry that FIL and his wife are under is unnecessary! GRRH!! Not much we can do from our side either!!

Well not much on my docket today - just more uglies - they will have to run out sometime!

Mel - I have been to Astoria and seen that bridge. I love bridges - but that one scared the hockey sticks out of me - DH wanted to drive across it - but I said no - it looked to rickety to me! LOL It is still standing all these years later! One of my favorite movies that my kids loved when they were little is Short Circuit - it was filmed there too.

Chriss - that would be fun to create a quilt group from Church - I have one at our Church and it is really fun to get together - even though I am the "old" one! LOL

Grammie - Here in Concord we have a Heritage Tree Ordinance that prohibits anyone from taking down a native tree that is of a certain size diameter - maybe there is such a thing where you live! It is a terrible shame to cut down a perfectly good tree.

Well I must go - Oh yes - I was looking at how many posts I have here and boy I must be chatty! I am over three thousand! You poor people - having to put up with me!!

Hugs
Jana

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:06 am

Good Afternoon, The bread dough is raising and the groceries are put away. My pantry is prety full. The guy next door is an ex con with a drinking problem and a shrinking violet for a wife. So there is no hope if he has sold the tree, Just so sad. There are no laws to protect it. Owner of the property has the right to cut it down. He doesn't even use the fireplace in his house. Has it seal off. Oh well I will mourn the loss for a long time. I was out there in it's shade today and will try to enjoy it each day I can. Prayers may help a little after all God made the tree grow maybe He will pprotect it. Love you all for being concerned. XXXOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:13 am

Well, it's almost noon and time for a break in the action here. I cleaned my kitchen, made a peach pie, cleaned my kitchen AGAIN, walked my 2 miles, cleaned my closet, vac'd the entire house, dusted, rearranged small things, researched some quilt block ideas, and now I need a short rest and some ice water.

CHICKIE - I can't imagine your heat! About once every 10 yrs we'll break 100* for a day or two, but 110*! In a streak! You can come visit us for a while, and you can bring all your cows, too! I would do a rain dance for you, but I'm afraid one mis-step and WE'D get the rain instead and we sure don't want that here!

JO - two funerals in one week is two funerals too many! We had one last week, and it was a heart-breaker.

KARLENE - Thx for the tutorial. I noticed she had a machine identical to my old 1030 Bernie! It was good to see the old girl! Sometimes I make my geese that way, but I put an extra line of stitching on those big 'ears', cut between them, and it gives me small HST's that I put in a box. Then I use them to make little borders for wall hangings, corners, labels, etc.

SHARONA - I may go to Joann's this weekend and see what they have. I know they've started carrying a better quality line of fabrics. My LQS is down to about 750 bolts and there's not much to choose from, much as I'd like to patronize them. Liked your bear! He didn't look like such a trouble-maker to me! What did you do with the wall-hanging? A hostess gift? auction? door prize?

TINA - I loved the little ones visiting, and I loved the quiet when they went home! Sounds like yours had a super great time!!

1QN - did you get your closet cleaned? You inspired me, so I did some organizing in mine, too. Thx! Where do you plan to go camping?

MEL - I love Astoria. Late DH#1 and I spent some time there while on our honeymoon. (gosh, was I ever really 19 yrs old??) DH#3 and I just went over that bridge in May, pulling our fifth-wheel. In the pouring rain. It got our attention.

CAROLE - What your daughter is going through is abominable. I just can't believe that, after the antics her DEX has pulled, any judge would put any credence at all in what he says and does. She has my prayers, for sure. You know, just south of Farmington is a place called Chaco Canyon. DH and I were there about 6 yrs ago. Some of the best-preserved and complete Indian ruins ever. It has a campground and an awesome visitor center. You can explore the ruins all you want. One thing is the 16 mile washboard gravel road getting in, but if you run it at 30mph-ish, you just hit the tops of the ridges and it's smoother going than if you go slower. But so worth your while if you're looking for a cool place to visit (though it's probably not so COOL right now! There was snow when we were there.)

JANA - you seem to be keeping busy! Whew! Did you ever get the train packed up?

Well, I guess I'm finally headed outside. The weeds are taller than I am! And so far they aren't pulling themselves, though I've given them ample opportunity.

mary z

carole

Post by carole » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 am

MaryZ - My God girl do you ever stop????? You have the most incrediable energy. Okay, now tell us - what are you on? LOL
Thanks for the prayers for my DD we really need them.

I am going to share the info about the indian ruins with our traveling friends. Thanks for the info.

Love,

Carole

womster

Post by womster » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 am

Maryz - the wallhanging was for my DH's first wife's centennial for the family ranch. Perhaps you need to enroll your weeds into some sort of training program....

Chickie - I am so SO sorry for your stinking heat with the humidity. Talk about adding insult to injury. I pray there is an end in site for all of us.

Carole - your daughter is in my prayers. I hope this comes to an end soon.

I'm girding my loins to start canning. The older I get, the less inclined I am to even start. I did go downstairs to the pantry and bring up the 2008 stuff we didn't eat. We'll head up to farm country tomorrow - I know we'll get cucumbers, tomatoes and corn. The second trip (towards the end of August) will be for a half-bushel of roasted Big Jim green chilies - YUM!

Off to have some tea before starting dinner. Hope y'all are having a great day!

-Sharona

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:52 am

ok sharona, you asked for it!
it's nothing spectacular, but it's old and quirky as far as i'm concerned! i love old furniture lol... one reason being they tend to be solid wood and better made...
it's just an old 1950's wooden chest of drawers to sit besides my DD2's old pine drawers that i painted. they are now full of fabric, and i have more on the way! eeek!!
the Ikea shelves are also full of WIP's!! i.e sew alongs, block swaps yet to be completed etc and quilts that i started 'yonks' ago!! i really must get these completed!
i keep thanking god that i'm only 41 and i still have lots of time!!! i hope!!! unless he has other plans!!!
old 1950's drawers

both drawers & fabric...

WIP's...

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:10 pm

Jacquie, you sure have the stuff!! LOL I'd be overwhelmed. WOW

Sue

womster

Post by womster » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Jacquie - FABULOUS! I love how nice and neat your fabric is tucked into the drawers. And now that you've mentioned it, I'd better get started on all my projects - I don't have as much time as you!!

Thanks for the pics.

-Sharona

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:55 am

Love that fabric center, always room to grow upways..But those bags look interesting. Only if you know will there be a day where I can send my pics..

Return to “Sew ins”