Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday July 17th :)

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Re: Sunday July 17th :)

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:14 am

Good Morning! After another sleepless night, I was ALMOST here at 3;30am, but suddenly it was 6:30! And now I'm late! I hate late!

JULES - I bet your home is sparkling! Don't you wish it would stay that way? Welll, maybe yours will. But not mine! You've certainly earned some sewing time!

LOIS - a christening! What a wonderful way to spend the day! Enjoy!

SUZETTE - congratulations on a good sale. And that's hopeful news that Wyatt was able to be outside, playing. Prayers continue.

VICKY - the wedding sounds beautiful! I love the gesture the bride made by signing a song for the groom. Is there special significance in that?

MARYQ - I need a rest after reading of your doings! You are always so busy. The next two weeks will go by slowly/quickly for you. And I read that Jen got a job in Alaska, but I didn't catch what she'll be doing.

KATHY - oooh, your robe sounds so nice! I love terry and chenille robes. I didn't know you were having neighbor dog trouble. On TV, when dogs are troublesome, they always toss them big juicy steaks. You might try keeping a supply of them on hand . . . .

CHRISS - I knew yesterday would be fun for you - and expensive. I think it's now $12/person to get into our state fair in Puyallup. And everything else on top of that is extra, of course. When I was Marilyn's age, there was nothing at the fair worth my attention except the rides! lol! I can still see my parents' weary faces the year we had "connections" and got unlimited ride tickets!

CHICKIE - It's so nice, when I read of you walking down the road to lock and unlock the chickens, to be able to visualize your walk! Even the yard the dog came running from! Thank you again for a wonderful visit! One day we'll be back. .

I've been working on my winter vacation swap blocks. And listening to a book on tape that is set in summertime. They are mentioning the warm weather a lot and here I am working with snowy fabric and I'm always surprised to hear it's warm! So my theory that making these wintry blocks really does cool you off is correct! All you hotties might want to give this swap a try!

Today my DS and DDIL are coming over for the afternoon and evening to celebrate DH's birthday (which is next Wed.) So I need to run to the store and then I can sew until they get here at 2pm. My DDIL is developing a keen interest in quilting, so maybe she'll want to do some sew-y thing. . . She's a good DIL. She also loves reading the same books I do, and loves cats. I hit the jackpot! >^+^<

Hope you, too, can have a sew-y day!

mary z

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:56 am

Tea break....

dog up date, talked to the parents but the son had already told them that I was ""complaining"" about the dog barking & it was not loose.
I said that was not correct. I don't think they believed me. I do not want this to turn into a 'big deal'. I checked, I can call the police is it's in my yard. This is more effort than I want to put into it!!!
Tina....your story is just awful, awful!!! People can be so wicked.

Chrissi can see in my mind's eye going to the fair would be great fun!! Brave to go on the roller coaster. I don't know the boy...maybe 10ish. The one thing about terry is it is messy. It looks like it snowed in the sewing room. I zigzag all seam or they fray~~fray~~fray!

Myriam...I'm getting me a long, strong stick because they said if the dog got near me he would lick & kiss me. I don't want that either...LOL Enjoy your shows. I head your hot & humid weather is coming my way.

Maryd...cubicles, I never thought of them. I need more storage too. And they would fit under the window.(:(:

Maryz....I slept late on Friday when I didn't want too. I guess some how our body knows best. First it's ants now it's dog....what's next??
Mmmm...remember Chickie's sunrise descriptions...beautiful!
OK, I'm taking out my winter & Christmas fabrics.

I think I'll give my sister a call....Kathy

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:36 am

Jules - I hope you can get to your sewing quickly.

Lois - enjoy the christening today. Will there be family and friends there to visit with who you haven't seen in a while?

Suz - good news about Wyatt. I should run an errrand today (go to New Balance for new tennis shoes) but I would have to take a shower, fix my hair, put on my face. I'm just not in the mood so I'll go after work tomorrow.

Vicky - two women in our choir sign and I love to watch them sign songs - it's just beautiful.

Maryq - LOL, yes, I can tell you are excited about your trip. I don't think you will be too excited to come back though to an empty house and work. I LOVE 'de-junking' - makes one feel 20 lbs. lighter.

Kathy - what kind of dog is it? Was he in attack mode? Do you have a piece of rebar you can keep handy? Maybe a tazer gun?

Chriss - it's really too bad that so many family activities cost so much. For us to take just two of our grandsons to an Astros game at Minute Maid Park it costs at least $200. It's nuts. I'm so glad my boss buys season tickets, a set of 4 seats. I get to use them occassionally and all we have to pay for is snacks and drinks. You aren't spoiling Marilyn, are you - LOL LOL.

FarmChick - it's so humid and hot here, too. It is like a sauna. I'm staying inside today. Should wash my car but......

Maryd - I watch PBS sewing sews, too, but I DVR them and watch later. Not real fond of the series that's on now, Quilting Arts. Just not my cup of tea. Almost all weekend the TV is on HGTV....makes my DH nervous - LOL.

Tina - I hate it that you had to shoot the Pit Bulls but I don't blame you. It's my personal opinion that those dogs should be outlawed. They have killed and maimed so many people. My DD's friend had one and the girl thought it was just the sweetest dog until one day the dog came into my DD's house and immediately attacked her little Pug and nearly killed it. They took the Pug to the doggie ER and they had to put him down. His spine was broken/spinal cord injured and both hips were broken not to mention all the cuts and bleeding. Sweet dog that Pit Bull, huh?

Maryz - you did hit the jack pot with your DIL. I hope she really catches the quilting bug so you will have someone close to do quilty things with. I just love the days that Vicky, Sue, Linda and I get together and go to browse the quilt shops and do lunch.

I got to sew yesterday after I went and got my hairs cut. DD was here cleaning so I hid in my sewing room - worked on the binding for the purple/white quilt and got it all on and now I'm hand-stitching it to the back. DH and I went out for dinner about 3:00 just like the old farts do - LOL - and then he got started putting our glass shower back together. I had to help. He didn't remember how it came apart so it took us until 1:15 AM to get it all back together. We got in bed at 1:30. Got up at 8:00, fixed breakfast, sent DH off on his trip to Odessa, started laundry and some cleaning. Soon as this next load is finished and I get them in the dryer I'm going to sit and sew. Was going to buy some tennis shoes but that would mean getting out of my comfy clothes and getting gussied up and I'm not in the mood for all that. I'll go tomorrow after work. Ah ha, washer just stopped. TTYL

I hope you all get to fondle fabric today.

carole

Post by carole » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:51 am

Good late morning my dear friends,

Tina - that was a lot of shooting going on over at your neighborhood.
Here in AZ - I think someone would have been arrested for that. Even though you can carry a gun here with a permit. I hate to see any animal hurt, but when they are killing other animals --------.

Sounds like a couple of you are having fun setting up new sewing rooms. I envy you - when we retired to AZ I was just starting to quilt and didn't even think about a sewing room. So--- DH got his den/office and we got a guest room. Which now has become my sewing room. But when the kids or guests are coming - everything has to be moved out and stored in the garage. Grrrrrr But we so love having the kids here. In the den we had a murphy bed made with a closet on one side and drawers on the other side. Great for when the whole family is here. DH is going to make one for the guest room and that will give me more space (right now I have a trundle bed in there).
When I think back to our last house (5 bedrooms) - boy I could really have a sewing room and a frame set up in a separate room . sigh.

Well we are off home in a few - dr.appt, and infusion and back on Tuesday afternoon. Taking my computer with me - so I will check back later.

Happy Sunday to all of you.

Carole

Rose92

Post by Rose92 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:52 am

Mornin' all:

What a blessed day! Did my early morning 'worm run' and I only got 7! I think the vines are saved! Went off to church happy.

I have been stewing over that old Minnesota I've cleaned up. The manual I have says it is for a Minnesota A, but as a treadle. After much study looking at pictures and on the internet I have finally answered my own questions. The thing was retrofitted with a Kenmore motor. The belt actually does not go on the handwheel and motor pulley at all!! It goes only on the motor pulley and the bobbin pulley to wind the bobbin, without the machine "sewing" too. And the jury-rigged bar actually pushes the motor back and off the handwheel so the motor only runs the bobbin, not the whole machine. What a convoluted system! Now that it is all cleaned and sews, what am I going to do with it? It is basically worthless. Any suggestions?

maryq

Post by maryq » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:56 am

Rose92

If I had a place to put that machine.. I'd take it off you hands. After all, its says MINNESOTA on it!!

I have my grandmother's treadle machne that first learned to sew on!

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 am

Good afternoon, I am home and quite tired. Boys have been dropped off and now to get the laundry done and prepare for the next trip. We will leave Friday for mackinac city mi. 5 days. what a blessing. The boys were good but we are so not used to chasing kids. Both me and my friend were tired this morning and laughed about the next trip being adults only/ God did bless us with wonderful weather(quite hot though) and lots of fun. It is 95 now and the ACs is cranking. I will stay with the kids on thursday night so their parents can go to Jimmy Buffet cocert. And leave again friday. I am hoping we can go see Harry Potter this week too. I will get to the sewing and make a few more blocks. I still have 3 purses to make. well off I go good to see all of you XXXOOO

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:34 am

Good afternoon from warm, sunny, gorgeous, SW. Pa...It's a picture perfect, summer day....
We went to early Mass and since it was just Jim and I, we came home..I told him I had all the fixings and would make omelettes...Our breakfast group is scattered today...The other Jim, has eye surgery on Friday and he probably has 2 nice black and blue eyes and decided to stay home...

My buddy, Nicky, went home yesterday.He had to get home and get packed up for a week at boy scout camp....We made arrangements for our DS to drive to Virginia and we'd meet for lunch....I packed a big picnic basket and we met at a rest stop and had a very nice visit and lunch....Boy, did I hate to see Nicky leave...The house is too quiet...But in 2 weeks, DS and Nicky's older brother, Stephan, and 2 dogs, will be coming for a week...Nicky will be going with his mother to visit the other grandparents in S. Carolina....And then they'll all be back for Thanksgiving.....

I hate to hear about anyone shooting dogs or any animals, but when it comes to a case of pit bull and attacks, that's another story....Their breed has really gotten a bad rap and I'm sure there are good pit bulls out there but the majority of them are bad...Such a shame!

We have a new visitor on our back porch...Ted's wife, Donna, called and asked if we knew who had a little gray kitten....I'm not sure but I'm hoping it might belong to the family right next door, but they're away for the day...Anyhow, a little later, here comes Ted, Donna and their grands and the kitten...I'm sure she thinks, if it doesn't really have a home, I'll fall in love with it and keep it, right????Well, she was right about falling in love...It is the sweetest little thing, very friendly and loves to sit on you lap....Of course the feral cats we take care of don't like it and I was a little worried about it being outside, but the inside cats feel the same way...So most of my day has been spent, on the patio, holding a little fur ball...I'm hoping it does belong to the neighbors, but if it is and they left it out on purpose, then I'm really going to be mad...If it's a stray, I'm going to have a lot of convincing to do, to Jim and the other fur kids....

I so enjoyed reading all the posts and seeing what everyone is up too....It makes me feel I'm almost part of those walks with Chickie, hugs for Marilyn, packing for vacations, all the things you gals do....It's a really good feeling and I've very grateful to be included.....

I best get back out on the patio, I have a fur baby that needs held....
You all have a great, rest of the day.....

womster

Post by womster » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:45 am

Good afternoon, ladies.

We woke up around 2:30 this morning hotter than blazes - DH turned the fan up and that helped. We can't run the a/c at night because it gets too cool and the a/c won't kick on... It's 96 right now - we're supposed to be in the high 90s/low 100s for about five days. I've got a lot of basement work to do, so that's where I'll be!

I made it to church today - YAY! Today will be my lazy day - we did have to nap some to make up for the interrupted sleep. Oh - the Harry Potter movie was wonderful! I had seen the first two - there were a few gaps my DS needed to fill in.

Jules – hope you got to sew today.

Lois – I bet the christening was a joy-filled occasion.

Suzette – that is great news about Wyatt! Congrats on the yard sale AND on having a clear-out.

Vicky – the wedding sounds wonderful! Are you feeling better?

Maryq – all the stuff you did yesterday certainly doesn’t sound like a ‘national slug day’ to me. Your trip is almost here! I remember when I first heard about it months ago – it seemed like it was six months away. Time is flying by….

Kathy – sorry that your dingy neighbors aren’t keeping their dog in line. I can’t believe you got a robe made in one day! Wow. It would take me two days just to figure the pattern out. Did you get to chat with your sister?

Chriss – how wonderful that Marilyn is excited about Sunday School. Our county fair starts the 20th. I asked DH why they wait until the hottest part of the year to have these fairs – whew! I’m so glad she had such a good time. Her little pink dress was precious, btw. She looks like a little angel.

Chickie – I was so hoping we took the heat from you – guess not. At least we don’t have the humidity. I absolutely love your name QIW (quilts in waiting) – it is brilliant! As for boxers, once day when I was walking Roxie (our dog before Bailey), a boxer actually broke the hinge on its gate to come out and bark at us. Even though I was scared to bits, I had to get it back in its yard, which was no small feat. It sure intimidated me.

Maryd – hurry up and wait indeed! I can’t wait to see pictures of your finished sewing room.

Tina – I can feel your excitement for the sewing room. That’s an awful story about the dogs – I blame the owners as well for not taking care of them. Some people simply should not have animals of any kind (I first had typed ‘pets’, but it didn’t sound like that’s what they were to them).

Maryz – so sorry you had trouble sleeping. Have a lovely time with your company and the pre-birthday celebration.

CindyG – I giggled a bit at hiding and sewing – did your DD find your hiding place? What a bummer about the shower – I can’t believe y’all were up so late!

Carole – I love those Murphy beds! I want DH to put one up in the basement, but the only way it will happen is if I hire someone to do it.

Linda – that machine is beautiful! I’d list it on Craig’s list. That’s what I’m going to do with my old embroidery machine. As for the worms – I guess you’re going to have to branch out to other houses so Speedy won’t be disappointed…!

GrammieQ – sounds like a good time was had by all in spite of the heat. Hope the kids like the concert. Your week sounds jam-packed already. Stay cool!

Irish – Nicky sure sounds like a great kid and had a wonderful visit. Your new little visitor sure sounds cute. I, too, would be upset if they left the kitten out on purpose. Enjoy your cuddle time!

Have a wonderful rest of the day, my friends.

xoxo - Sharona

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Everyone,
I ironed fabric this afternoon. I need to make one more block and I need to also make strips to put blocks together in two different quilts.

Kathy - There was a story in today's newspaper about a woman whose children were being chased by a pitbull. Her husband picked up the dog. She picked up a gun and fired two shots (at the dog). She killed her husband! It happened in Mississippi.

If anyone cares the 405 freeway opened this afternoon approximately 17 ours ahead of schedule. Wow! The media sure made a big deal out of the closure! I am glad eveyone stayed home though.

Hope eveyone is having stitching fun!
Carol

Return to “Sew ins”