Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

A Marvelous Monday morning to all..

Daily discussions.
kenderosa

Re: A Marvelous Monday morning to all..

Post by kenderosa » Mon May 23, 2011 1:42 am

Good Morning Quilters!

Very humid this morning...I can feel it in the house, even with the A/C running full throttle! Monday is always laundry day around here and the clothes seem to take forever to dry when the humidity is so high.
I'm canning a few quarts of tomato's today as they are starting to really ripen. I don't want to get behind on that.

Need to wash the border fabric for one of the sew alongs I'm doing and get it ready to use.

Stay safe in all these terrible disaster storms! I hate to turn the TV on anymore!!! Farmchick- Hope all is well with you!!!

Sue

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 am

Good morning.. it will be a warm wonderful day here... after work I get to go buy some fusible for my poinsettia blocks then I can start sewing the fabric to it.... it's a long weekend next weekend so I should be able to get lots done...

hope you all stay dry and safe..... and have a fantastic day

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon May 23, 2011 2:18 am

Morning girls

Sandy – hoping you haven’t lost too much in the garden and that the corn is ok, keep safe

Mel – hope your guild members do remember you, how long since you’ve been??? Have a good week

Suze – oh its hard enough going to the gym without dealing with rain too, how sweet that your son wants a quilt for his girlfriend, do you have free reign to decide on pattern/colours???

Dolores – hope it doesn’t get too windy for you today, the devastation is immense, hoping there are no more storms, have a good day

Lois – have a good day at work and hope it passes quickly for you

Mary/rosebud – woohoo for the shed and freeing up your sewing room, i also have a few UFO’s that need my attention

Vicky – you amaze me at how much you get done, quilts, lotto blocks, dresses......are you sure you’re not secretly wonderwoman LOL.......hope you can find something for Tia at the shops, maybe theres something that will just need a little alteration from you that will make it right....Emilys concert sounds wonderful, Phantom of the Opera is some of my all time fav music :)

Kathy – have a good day, hope the babies behave for you

Joanne – many hands do make light work, hope the cleaning goes well

Grammie – good to hear you mum is holding her own, prayers continuing

Sue – hope the humidity doesn’t get too bad for you today

Chriss – your poinsettia blocks are lovely, have fun with them after work :)

I'm in my studio having a big clear out, tidy up and general sort out......i keep finiding notes about things but i have no idea what they were pertaining to LOL i'm sure i'm losing my mind.....some of the notes are patterns, hints, etc and some are stores I must have discovered, but i have no idea what i wanted form those stores, I'm gonna have to leave more info on the notes in future, mind you I've probably saved myself loads of money this way :)

hoping everyone is safe in the storms, not too sure of the geography of all of your states but know there are some near to my friends, praying for you all......and I know most will probably have unplugged your pc's, but if anyone hears anything can they let us know.....

Ittybittygma

Post by Ittybittygma » Mon May 23, 2011 2:40 am

Hi, We haven't blown away yet but more storms in area for today and next few days in KS and MO. I am really concerned for Farmchick. I don't think she lives far from Joplin area. Please pray for her and others in these badly hit areas.

89 dead so far in Joplin and going door to door with search and rescue groups and natl guard. All the local tv stations are carrying nonstop news and pics of what is left of Joplin. 7-story hospital is destroyed and at least 1/3 of the town is totally gone. Hosp xrays and debris have been found 45 miles away.

Trucks and cars are mangled and tossed around like toys. More storms headed their way with hail and heavy t-storms in their area again today. Farmchick, please stay safe. More bad storms expected for this entire area of KS and MO again tomorrow too.

Thank you everyone for your prayers for all these folks. So many left homeless or have lost family members and have nothing left. For them, this weekend was indeed an end to their world. May God be with all the survivors, the workers trying to help, and the recovery of all involved in this terrible disaster.

Sorry to be a downer on a monday morning but our lives seem so insignificant compared to what these families are facing in the days and weeks ahead. Praying that God will provide for all their needs today and all their tomorrows. May God bless all of you today too as you go to work, quilt, sew and go thru your daily lives. Be thankful your life is a little boring today.

Love, hugs, and prayers, Shirley Mae

Caroline and Barb/Girl are also in a very stormy area today. I am north of it at the moment.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 am

Good Morning! The birds are in fine feddle this morning! And letting everyone know it. Quite a concert I am getting.

SANDY - hope all your flowers and crops survive the weather. Many of my flowers never even got the chance to bloom.

MEL - we really did get a gift yesterday, didn't we. Was predicted to pretty rainy, and not a single drop fell on us.

SUZETTE - sounds like you got in lots of exercise even if it wasn't in a gym! So - did you go back to sleep, or did you lay awake planning a new quilt? Will it be a surprise or will the GF be involved in choices?

DELORES - nice to 'see' you! How is your DGS doing?

MARY-ROSE - I bet you are chomping at the bit to start moving things out of your sewing room!

VICKY - sounds like you will be in the clothing business for a while. Will Tia sew her own dress if she doesn't find one, or will you? Hearing Phantom always makes me cry. My DD2 sang it in a concert once, without telling me she was going to sing a solo. I had no idea she could sing like that (despite all her voice lessons! lol!) I was stunned. Phantom always makes me think of her. And now I have tears in my eyes!

KATHY - I hope you have a wonderful, poopy-free day at work today.

JOANNE - sounds like those were pizzas well spent! Will they come back to replace the furniture once the carpet dries?

JUDI - I've been thinking about the farmers (not to mention the prices of produce later). I know most of them are working land owned by their families for generations. I think farming is like logging - it gets in a family's blood. It's their heart and soul. What a year this has been!

SUE - Will your humidity bring you any rain at all? Hard to believe that your garden is ripening when we are just now able to get plants in the ground!

CHRISS - have fun at the fusible store! And no - you can't blame Snickers for cookies disappearing from my counter. He has a pretty solid alibi - he was with us! That leaves me with only one suspect!

JULES - Amazing the things we find when we finally tidy up after a sewing binge, isn't it!

I know I'm probably walking on folks, so hi to you all, too, and those that come after. I hope to do some more work on my Lodge blocks. Still trying to decide what to do with my caribou. But I have an idea that just may work for me. and DH will probably want some help buzzing up the bigger limbs left from the downed trees. We burn all we can in our wood stove.

Now to go turn on the news and see about the terrible weather in the midwest.

mary z

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon May 23, 2011 3:18 am

Good Morning Girls

Another cloudy day here, but my thoughts are with those affected by yesterday's storms! A tornado touched down here in Minneapolis about 2 miles straight south of where my youngest DS lives.. He was in the basement with my DGD! The photos of the area on the news last night were amazing! But then I checked the news online here this morning and saw about the tornado in Joplin... OMG such devestation!! My thoughts and prayers for all of those lost and those left behind! They have a huge task ahead of them!

Went to my neice's baby shower yesterday at her Aunt's house. OMG what a gorgeous house- almost made we want to come home and clean and redecorate mine! It was one of those places you see in a magazine! But then I decided I like my house, and went down to do laundry and sew instead. I went to high school with my neice's aunt (her mom's sister--my brother is her dad) The view from her deck looked over the Missippi river and you could see forever! I'd never get anything done if I lived there, I'd just sit and stare out the window! My grand neice is gorgeous and so itty-bitty--she was born 6 weeks early and is now up to 8lb. birth weight was something like 4lb 8oz or so. She slept the whole time--even being passed between all the cousins and aunties!

Vicky.. I love the music from Phantom of the Opera!!!

Joanne..... 7 of your children showed up???? OMG how many do you have????

Sandy.... don't think our farmers have been able to plant yet here. The fields around my house looks like swamps they are so wet! We sure could use some dry weather for at least week!

Sue....Jen and I decided yesterday to plant a couple tomato plants in my little garden.... would so love to can some come this fall and have great sause and salsa for the winter. I think I still have my Dad's canning pot somewhere in my garage!

Well, I think I better get moving... and yes Maryz I have to get in the shower LOL. It's not that I'm that dirty.... it's just part of my morning routine---grab a cup of coffee, check in with y'all then hit the shower and get ready for work. It's only Monday and I am already SO looking forward to a 3 day weekend... hoping the weather is nice so I can get outside!!!!

Have a great day y'all!

maryq

womster

Post by womster » Mon May 23, 2011 3:26 am

Good morning, all.

Prayers have been sent for all those affected by the awful tornados and flooding.

Sandy – I hope your corn is ok and that you were able to get some good sleep before the kids show up.

Mel – I’m thrilled that the inspection is over! Sounds like y’all had a lovely weekend with your DGS. Such beautiful memories you’re making. Whatcha reading?

Suzette – hmmm – wonder if your DS asking you to make his girlfriend a quilt portends anything? Hope your rain stops soon – sounds like you’d get quite a workout just walking into the building.

Dolores – lovely to see you! Hope you have a great day today.

Lois – that’s quite an accomplishment with Mt Rushmore. Hope your workday breezes by.

Mary – when will your shed be done? I bet you can’t wait to get all that stuff moved out of your sewing room. I bet your UFO will be glad to see you – enjoy your time with it.

Vicky – sounds like you’re going to be very busy making dresses. I hope y’all are able to find her a dress –the 11th isn’t very far off. Was that Emily’s last concert of the season?

Kathy – have fun with the babies today.

Joanne – yippee that the furniture is moved! How many kids do you have? I assume they’ll be over to move everything back once the carpets are dry. Your dinner sounds just lovely.

GrammieQ – hope the rains hold off. I also worry about the farmers – what with the floods/tornados/bugs – it only takes one bad event and we will all feel the pain. Have fun with your uglies today (I include grocery shopping in the ugly category).

Sue – we don’t usually have humidity out here, but the day or two we do, I know what you mean about the clothes drying. Have fun canning.

Chriss – I’m thinking you should just buy a bolt of fusible. I’m making my list for Joanne’s so I can make use my 20 percent discount.

Jules – have fun reorganizing your sewing room! I had to chuckle about your notes – I do the same thing. So at least we have each other for company..!

Shirley Mae – I agree with everything you said. My dad (who lives in Nixa, MO) jokingly says he has spent more time in their tornado shelter than he has in the house. So very scary and sad. I pray y’all are safe.

Maryz – have fun with your lumbering and sewing today. Inquiring minds are waiting to see what you’re going to do with the caribou.

Maryq – sounds like you had a wonderful time at the shower. Aren’t those little babies fun? So glad your DS and DGD are ok after the tornado.

Today we have a Costco run and then I’ll be sewing on the boat quilt. I really need to get it in gear to get this house whipped into shape. Now that we’re both feeling better, it’s time to get started. 16 days until they arrive!

Have a great day, all. Keep a weather-eye peeled towards the skies.

xoxo - Sharona

MissSongbird

Post by MissSongbird » Mon May 23, 2011 4:03 am

Hi guys!

I think what I'm going to do today is actually finish up a purse I worked on yesterday at an open sewing. It's so close to being done. All it needs is a button and the bottom lining to be sewn together.

I don't feel so well today. With all the storms and the chance of more it's going to be a bad day. I don't know if I've told any of you yet, but I have a severe weather phobia that's pretty bad. I get super high anxiety and feel sick. And I often (when the weather actually gets bad) I gets chills and shakes. I just can't handle all this weather!

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Mon May 23, 2011 4:06 am

Sandy - sorry about your gardens getting flooded. You have little rivers running thru your beds and we have big cracks in ours from lack of rain.

Mel - it will seem like a vacation at work today with that inspection out of the way.

Suzette - I don't blame you for not wanting to go to the gym in the rain. Heck, I don't want to go when it gorgeous outside! What quilt will you be making for your son's girl? How exciting.

Delores - good morning.

Lois - I tried but did not get my laundry done. I must get with it tonight.

Rosebud - glad you will be getting your sewing room back. I have a tiny sewing room and if it's all cluttered I don't want to go in there. I have to force myself back there to clear up my messes and then I feel like sewing again.

Vicky - It's wonderful that Emily will be going back to orchestra. When is it that you have to have that dress made for your sister's wedding?

Kathy - hoping the babies are good for you today.

Joanne - what are your plans for the cabin room?

Grammie - ugh - grocery shopping. I wish I was wealthy so I could just phone in my order to the grocery store and they would deliver it to my door step. Why do you only sew at night?

Sue - isn't this humidity horrid???? We worked on the RV yesterday taking off the old awning and putting on the new one and I thought I was going to die. I was sweating just standing still! Poor Don - he doesn't have much help with just me since I have stubs for legs. Doing that awning was a trip! LOL

Chriss - yep, it's a long weekend coming up. I've got my applique ready to take to the lake with me. WOO HOO

Jules - glad you are having a clear out. You will feel 10 lbs. lighter once it is done. I love doing clear outs.

ShirleyMae - you are so right - we should be thankful for "normal". I saw pix this morning of Joplin and my heart goes out to all those people and also to the people who are affected by the flooding.
Y'all be careful in your travels.

Maryz - oh, you sound just like me. I always cry at the things my kids sing in like concerts and plays. On the rare occassions I get to see the grandkids in something, I cry then too. Sounds like you might get to be a logess again today.

I'm at work......where I came for a rest. The RV is back in the drive way and we worked on it all day yesterday. It was SO hot and humid. Thank goodness the wind was blowing like crazy - made it feel not quite so hot. Wasn't too good for putting a new 18' awning on the 5th wheel though - LOL. The wind picks it up like a parachute. Last night we got started replacing all the hinges and handles on the cabinet doors and drawers and replaced the light over the dining table and the two wall sconces. We are changing all that is bright brass to brushed nickel and it is looking so much more relaxing. That was yesterday. Saturday I got my hairs cut, did a couple of loads of laundry and worked on my applique until my DH got home from work at which time we went to dinner and to Lowe's and Home Depot. Tonight I MUST finish up my laundry and fix dinner and then I'll go out to the RV and start cleaning the inside if my DH finishes the flooring today. He's on vacation this week. No sense cleaning if he's not thru with the construction. I wonder where I'm getting all this energy. Must get busy here.

I hope you can all fondle fabric today.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Mon May 23, 2011 4:42 am

Morning...Sorry to hear about the Tornadoes. Joplin, Mo. got hit hard. Really feel for those folks there. The videos are on Fox News and the area looks wiped out.

Cindyg...hope you get your RV completed. The Awning would be a "bugger" to install. We are getting our RV this week and head to an E. Texas area lake. Hope I can take the Humidity/Heat. LOL.

Kenderosa...you are a "canning" whiz...Have done that and it takes time and work! It is good eatin'.

Had a wonderful Italian luncheon after church yesterday. The dishes were great, and, the desserts were fabulous. I hope to get some new recipes from the ladies who cooked.

Still working on my "Spring Morn" quilt. It takes awhile to do the Applique' work...and, this quilt has plenty of that! It is a pretty quilt though. My DD has her "eye" on it and I may have to make another one like it, LOL.

Have a great day everyone...stay safe and well.

1QN

Return to “Sew ins”