Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tuesday August 3rd, 2010

Daily discussions.
cindyg

Re: Tuesday August 3rd, 2010

Post by cindyg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:24 am

Jules - have a fun quilty day. And the quilt show - WOO HOO. Three months until ours - can't wait!

Lois - I would be the same as you - butt dragging after staying out a wee bit late the night before. I use to go dancing at least three nights a week which means I wouldn't get home until 2:00 AM and I'd be at work by 8:00 and ready to go again that night. I was in my 30's - that's how I could do it. I sure couldn't do it now - LOL.

Suzette - you bind your quilts before you quilt them? I never heard of doing it that way. There's no quilt police so we can do things the way we want to. I'm just wondering how you keep the quilt from puckering especially at the edges where it's already binded.

Rosebud - have a quick day at work today.

Vicky - yes, I sense your melancholy this morning. The bad news is that Tia is leaving your nest to build her own. The good news is (and there is always good news) that she will be living near you and not moving to Scotland or somewhere far away. Also, you still will have kids at home.

Chriss - the good news is that you are still capable of learning new tricks.

Chrissy1 - it is hard to catch up once you have missed some time here.

Grammie - you are a good mom. When's the baby due?

Kathy - I'd love to be house bound and sewing. Enjoy your day.

I'm at work. This evening I'm going to my first quilt guild meeting. I gave my word that I'd go but now I could kick myself. I'd rather be home in my sewing studio cutting out fabric. I know that once I get there I will enjoy myself. There will be a guest speaker talking about embellishing tonight and there will be show-and-tell. I'm all for that!

I hope you all get to fondle fabric today.

misssharna

Post by misssharna » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:25 am

Just thought I would pop in here today... As always I love reading about your lives and quilts....
Fabric girl, I know what you mean about a group to quilt with, I am blessed to have some girlfriends that get together with to quilt with... I am most productive if not to man come for our biweekly quilting.....
Went to the Long Beach quilt show a couple of weeks ago... wow was that just awesome.... my first quilt show ever... I spent all my cash the 1st hour in 1 booth....debit card got lots of use after though.... Saw El there, what a great lady.....She was signing books and bags..fun for all....
Can't wait for the fall retreat with El that will be so fun, since I have never been..... Hope I will get tons done while I am up there......
Well I hope all of you ladies are able to get to the sewing machine today and sew your little hearts out....

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:25 am

Astitchintime - hi there. It's good to see you posting. Join us more often.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:43 am

Good Morning,

JULES - A big quilt show to look forward to! now I can't wait either to hear all about it! It will whet my appetite because I get to go to the big Houston Quilt Festival this year. And this is where Cindy would go BOING!

LOIS - I wish I had a local quilting friend, too, but I don't. Hope you get that second wind!

SUZETTE - that's so nice of you to make your co-worker a quilt. Do you sew the binding on before quilting it?

VICKY - congratulations on winning the drawing! You deserve it! And I understand how you feel about having to share your daughter. It's good that you are taking time to make memories with her. If you had the time (insert 'haha' here) you could even make a small scrapbook or write a journal of these days leading up to her wedding.

MARY - Glad you're back! have a good day at work!

CHRISS - semi-normal? You?? AGAIN??? lol!

CHRISSY - don't you just love computers sometimes?

JUDI - as usual, you are bustling with energy! And you reminded me to see if our jam man is on his corner this morning. I want to make some more.

KATHY - what a great way of looking at things as our kids leave the nest and embark on their new life! I hadn't thought of things like that.

DEBI - hi! Glad you joined us this morning! Hope you're back often! What are you working on these days?

I overslept this morning. Again. Not sure what's going on with that. But it feels good! I only got to sew a little yesterday, but I did get some uglies done, and all the laundry. And spent time with my nephew and later, DH's sister. Today, I think I have a free day! Maybe I'll get to work on my DGS's sawtooth log cabin. The cabins are all done. Just working on the "tooths" right now - 2" HST's.

Hope the day brings blessings to you all!

mary z

vivian1970

Post by vivian1970 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:44 am

Morning, Today is my day to go grocery shopping and maybe hit joanns to get some interfacing. I am going to try to start my sons t-shirt quilt soon. I made two of there for my DH and when I do the next one I will use interfacing behind the artwork. It will make it more stable to work with. I have my coupons and am ready to go. Also need to go to walmart. May see if the girls will want to go with me.

I also have coupons for Gold Star Chili. I have been downloading coupons for a couple of days.

Sounds like everyone is busy today. I did get some sewing done yesterday but not much. Finally had to turn on the A/C and glad I did. Its suppose to get up in the 90's today with a heat index of 100. Miserable. But its hotter in other parts of the country. Can't remember when it was this hot before.

well gotta get going so I can get back and enjoy the cool air.

have a great day everyone.
bbl

viv

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:54 am

Ooops! Walk on a few good folks! Sorry!

CINDY - I know how you feel about wanting to stay home and quilt instead of going out to talk about quilting. Will there be other folks there that you know? You'll have a good time and make new friends. (I feel like I"m sending off my kindergartner for the first day!) Enjoy!!

MISSHARNA - sounds like you had a great time in L.B.! Good to know I better pack a back-up spending plan when Houston comes!

VIV - I made a tee shirt quilt for my SIL a few years ago and used fusible interfacing. It was so easy to sew! I plan another one next year.

And here's a plea to all you Texas folks: I have a mission. If any of you haunt thrift shops, Goodwills, etc, I am looking for a large collection of AUSTIN shirts so I can make an AUSTIN tee shirt quilt for my next Austin Family Reunion. I will, of course, pay for the shirt and for postage to mail them to me. Though I will be in Texas end of Oct and first part of Nov and could pick them up from you. Thanks!!

Mary Z

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:01 am

Good morning! Everyone is so busy and on the run today! ENJOY!!! Hope your weather is cool! We are well on our way to over 100 again! Yesterday we worked here around the pond cleaning up some of the mess that was made last week when the pond was “edged” with the trackhoe. It was 105, and I was thinking of the song, “Workin’ rocks in the hot sun, I fought the law, and the law won.” I guess DH was the Law! LOL!!!

Of course, there was a reward for working out there, besides ice cold, sweet watermelon. DH said to look in the shallow water (the pond has been going down because of lack of rain). It was an amazing sight. I’d never seen anything like it before. The silt on the rock bottom was all honeycombed in about 18” sections. They were fish nests! Upon closer examination, there was a bluegill in several of the nests. She (I guess it was a she) was keeping all the other fish away and “shooing” them off as they swam in. It was really neat to watch. Boy, was she busy!!! I took some photos, but I’m not sure they are good enough to post for you to see. I managed to watch the fish and get some breaks!!! LOL!

This is a quick in and out today. I need to go vote and get the mail. It’s good to see everyone here!!!

Vicky—happy quilt spree! The empty nest is always filled with mixed emotions. So happy Tia has a wonderful young man and she will still be nearby! You can take pride in watching her establish her own household using everything she learned from you. HUGS!!!

I’ll try to get back here. I was really tired yesterday. We are going to work outside again today. Gotta love that watermelon for hydration on breaks!!! LOL!

Enjoy your day wherever it takes you!!!

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:23 am

Misssharna - good to see you here again. Long Beach quilt show - WOO HOO. That means our Houston show is not far behind. I believe it's put on by the same people. The Houston show is awesome.....and it can get expensive, too - LOL. I can't wait. Glad you had fun at Long Beach. Did you take a class?

Vivian - I don't go to JoAnn's often but I take my coupons when I do. And it never fails - what I want is already on sale so my coupon does me no good. I'll go to the grocery tomorrow after work - oh yippee skippee.

Maryz - you slug! LOL Did I tell you an easy way to make HST's? You cut squares, put a dark and a light right sides together, sew a 1/4" seam around all four edges, then cut from corner to corner both ways and, ta dahhhhh, you have 4 HST's with no marking. Enjoy your day of sewing. I don't know if I know anyone at the guild. The lady that invited me found me on another quilty site - we live in the same town and she is a member of that guild which meets at a church at the front of my subdivision. Also the ladies that own and work at the quilt shop close to me have invited me to come to that guild, too, as they are all members. So I will see them there but I don't really know them. I don't really know anyone but what the heck. The reason I don't want to go is because I know they are going to try to get me to join and they do a lot of charity stuff and have an annual quilt show, etc. I just don't have the time to do all that extra stuff unless I quit making men's cancer quilts and even then........maybe when I retire I can really jump into a guild with both feet. This one is very close to my house so that's convenient. Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel here.

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:30 am

Good Morning all----getting a late start this morning. Maybe drinking a gallon of coffee will get me going. I cut out a bunch of blocks last night so now need to get them sewn together. My Bernie is acting up, time for a visit to the Bernie hospital.......
Good thing I have a back-up machine.
BBL-

Sue

kho

Post by kho » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:18 am

Good Morning,
Jules, I hope you find what you are looking for on your shopping trip today.

Sue, I sure hope your bernie isn't in the hospital for long. Glad you have a back up.

Vicky, congratulations on the win!! Remember the old saying " A son is a son, until he takes a wife. A daughter is a daughter all of her life." It will be fine-just enjoy each day.

We took dh back to the dr yesterday. He is suffering more hearing loss in his good ear. The doc thinks it's because of the swelling on the nerves so he is on 11 days of steriods. If things get worse we get to back in 2 weeks, otherwise we have a whole month!! PT starts Thursday. Whooppee.
Our youngest son turns 29 in a few days. Wow.

Had a great thunderstorm last night. It went on for the longest time. The big dog scares at these things. Last night was the worst. The poor dear managed to pee a bit. The flooring in that room is still the beaver puke sub flooring-so little harm done. I am thinking I may ask the vet for something to calm him down. He's such a good boy, and several times I could feel him ready to jump on to our bed, but he knows that isn't allowed. It was so hard for him.

Hope to do some sewing. need to get to the grocery store. DS3 is home today.DGD was so proud of herself. She didn't push her mommy's tummy all day!!! I asked her if the baby was going to be a girl or a boy? She told me it was a girl and a boy. I repeated that to her and she repeated it to me-adding with red socks. I think she was talking about the new calves up at her place. LOL
Have a great day and happy sewing to all!!!

Return to “Sew ins”