Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Feb 13 Saturday

Daily discussions.
scrapquilter48

Re: Feb 13 Saturday

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:30 am

Yes, ladies I plan to enter quilts on photobucket, have to find some system where they can enter on photo-site. Operating here on outdated equipment.

My quilts style rookie need of practice. Quilting motivates me to look for less than Part-time job, just to maintain my quilting addiction. Workshops are helpful, for a pre-beginner. I read alot of quilt library books and follow PBS-eleanor burns. How easy she makes it. Very motivating.

Being near 50's of age, is difficult to find employ. I have worked clerical capacities in specialized fields, (Justice), until I resigned to be with my mother on her dying days. Returning to the workforce met impossible odds: unions/strike actions of the 90's. Hiring freezes, cutbacks. Took any available job sometimes not qualified. Which lead to short terms, and physically demanding jobs..All the same I was young and able to make ends meet.

Fabric interests, keep me sane, great therapy...Some of you can relate to this quirp I'm convinced.

So now, I am determined to share my projects with you, and maybe pictures of our crazy weather...A little more time, to pull the resources to get on board..

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:29 pm

I LOVE PAPERPIECING....The quilt I have up on my design wall is paper pieced I have posted it in photos. I had trouble posting responses earlier glad to hear it wassn't just me

Off for a nap I have a cold

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Good evening! This has been a busy day. DH's brother and SIL came in to see MIL as I was leaving, so I went on to visit my mom, then came home and got DH. We all met back in town for Mexican food. It was sooooooo yummy!!! After we finally got home, I worked on some of my autograph blocks while DH went out antler hunting. He came home with none--a sad day for him.

Carol, didn't you say you were using a 6" block for the HSTs on the autograph blocks? I did after I thought you said you were doing that. They are kind of oversize, but there will be plenty of room to square up later. On the free pattern, does it say what size to square to?

I am going to make a variety of blocks--florals, batiks, 30s prints. I get bored making the same thing, and I don't have enough fabric to make all the same. Necessity to do variety, or go to LQS next week. They are to be scrappy, right!

Chrissy, what a sweet surprise with the roses!!!

Brenda, what show were you watching that toured the quilter's home? Caroline put her Christmas quilts photos up, and she had quilts and quilted pieces EVERYWHERE!!! It is so beautiful!!! I imagine she has "Quilts through the Seasons" at her home!!!

Scrapquilter--I think we all had/have to work to keep our passions fed! My girlfriend at work and I worked on quilts before work, then we either worked on them at lunch hour, or we made flying trips to the area quilt stores for MORE FABRICS!!! Then, we had breaks for online fabric shopping!!! LOL!!! I'm retired now, and I told my DH that a certain amount of my retirement income was MY FABRIC BUDGET and I would TRY to stay within it!!! Most of the time I do pretty well... then there are sales and it goes "POOF!!!" and evaporates. I hope you can find employment that you like and will offer you lots of $$$ for fabric acquisitions!

Dorothy--have fun tomorrow!!! Sounds like you have wonderful seats! It is exciting to be there at a race. Not something I'd want to do every weekend, but it is an experience! Enjoy!!!

Now, I need to go spend some time with DH and maybe sew another block... I'll try to check in later...

Chrissy1

Post by Chrissy1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm in. I have my fabric and am ready to go but I have a question are we washing the fabric first or no. Also need to look up this frezer paper directions but not tonight, gonna get in my jammies and rest a bit, this is one wicked throat thing. And yes, Todd is an amazing son. I have three wonderful children, two on earth and one angel. Sweet dreams everyone, and thanks for all the confidence on this autograph quilt. What a comforting thing we will all have, all the prayers, good wishes, positive thoughts, tears and laughs we are sharing all rolled/sewn up into one wonderful gift from everyone.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Welllllllll, my day took an unexpected turn. DH and I took my sewing machine in for it's annual check up and we walked out of there with a Janome 300E (embroidery machine only). We came home to see if the card would work in our card reader and it does so we don't have to go to Best Buy and get one. We played around with it for a few minutes, then we had to make our trip to Lowe's and go out to eat. Came home and took a nap while watching the olympics. Now I'm up and reading my embroidery machine book. I also got another book that they recommended for E-newbies. And I am really an E-newbie! I never made it to the dang quilt show. I if I had taken my machine by myself, my day would have gone as planned. But DH is a bad influence. I'm not complaining. WOO HOO

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:27 pm

cindyg===wow===what a great great Valentines gift for you!!!

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Well I finally made it back on here. I don't know why I was having a problem...but I'm here now.

Chrissy...I'm so happy you signed on for the swap.

cindyg...Wow! In for a check up and out with a new machine. Can't wait some of you embroidery.

I found out what I was doing wrong with my mini block...I forgot to add the seam allowance back in...lol

Sharon...LOL..you went to the LQS for you class. I didn't do it to day but I've done it a few times. Cooper is a wonderful Valentine!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Dorothym... I have had trouble with this web site off and on all day...it's been a real pain...lol

Scrappy, I am looking forward to seeing your pictures...

Carolyn, hope you're feeling better...did you bundle up and go buy fabric like you wanted to do?...

Miriam... wish you were here to describe our sunset... it was just beautiful..... glad you had a great evening..... I am making my HST's from 6 inch blocks so that the person receiving them can square them up... I will have mine finished tomorrow and plan to autograph them through the week unless I get that done tomorrow too...

Chrissy, great description of the quilt... and after you make block 29 you will say... is that all I have to do... don't I need to make more... they are that quick.

Cindy.. how totally cool...what a thoughtful DH to give you something you really wanted and can use.... can't wait to see the amazing things you create.

well I think I am going to take Chrissy's lead and go get into my jammies... I am done for the day...you all have a wonderful weekend... stay warm and cozy

Chriss

Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

mequilter9158

Post by mequilter9158 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Cindyg, what a wonderful Valentine's Day present!! I think he deserves an extra smooch for that one!! Chriss, I'm headed for my pj's in just a couple of minutes, just need to take the dog out first. I've got everything cut out, strips are all assembled, but I'm going to sign them before I assemble the rest, just in case I screw up. Then I don't have to re-do a whole block (been there, done that!) I had problems earlier with the site, too, I'm glad it wasn't just me. Night to all, sweet dreams. I'm going to turn on the Olympics & curl up on the couch, it's gotta be warmer up there, huh?

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:52 pm

I didn't go shopping I will tomorrow I won't let this yucky cold keep me down. I t will be almost 80 degrees tomorrow so it should be nice.

I am going to watch the Olympics and rip off a border ;)

This site is wonky today so I will say good night and sleep tight

Return to “Sew ins”