Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday, February 6th - Snow Day

Daily discussions.
beccasmom

Re: Saturday, February 6th - Snow Day

Post by beccasmom » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:49 am

My daughter has a Nintendo DSI and I bought her a ocuple of games yesterday. One of them is called Bookworm and it is really fun. Quite addicting. We are both enjoying it.

Brenda

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:55 am

Good Morning Everyone!
Everyone in the path of the storm in the East, you need to stay indoors and do what we all love doing - sew! That is a monster storm! The National News was reporting on it last night.

We have had rain for the past 24 hours. I think it let up for a while over night, but we are now getting the second part of the storm. The rainfall has been slow and steady and we have had some winds. It has been a nice rainstorm, a good soaker.

Today I have grocery shopping, laundry and a haircut with sewing in between. DH said he is staying indoors today too.

Suzette - Thanks for posting the picture! Enjoy your sew day!

Lois - Enjoy sewing!

Kathy - Be glad the storm hasn't yet arrived and get to the post office while you can. Come back and sew!

Dolores - Enjoy sewing today!

Nancy - How nice to have your family so close to you! Enjoy sewing today!

Brenda - You have the right idea - sew today!

Chrissy - The maps I saw showed you may miss the big storm. Hope so! Hope you get to sew today!

Mary - You aren't getting the rain? I think that is what the weather people predicted last summer, that we would get the rain and you would be drier than normal. How are the rainfall totals there this year? We are about 3-4" above normal so far.

I am making whole wheat bread this morning. I am using the bread machine's dough setting to knead and first rising. I like to shape the loaf and bake it. I think it is easier to slice.

I am working on one of the blocks from the barn quilt that has y-seams. I am taking it slowly and they are working out. What is everyone working on today?

Carol

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:03 am

Suzette, gosh... that fence keeps getting shorter and shorter... I am curious.... do you just get used to all the snow or do you end up hating it? the reason I ask is that it rarely snows here and only a couple of inches and it doesn't last a week but by the third day I am tired of it.... I just wonder how it is for someone who gets real snow and gets it yearly.

Lois, is the Lancaster show really big? they are fun to go to... I went to one around here and could not have done it in a day... it was amazing.... and we have an outdoor quilt show in Livermore, CA where these massive old oak trees have quilts hung in them... Alex Anderson from Simply Quilts is in on it... I think it's Alden Nursery or Arden Nursery...I have never been but really want to go..

Dolores... are you able to go outside with the snow on your door? if you DH has to go to work I hope he has a safe day.... and I hope you have a super day too.

Kathy, have a very safe trip to the PO... what else is planned for your day today? hope you have fun...we were supposed to have gotten rain most of last week and all through this weekend... there have been sprinkles here and there but no storms... if you would send us your white stuff by the time it got here it would melt and turn into rain....

Nancy, I would have the same reaction your dog had....too funny.... your boys load the snow, take it home and unload it? do they have kids who play in it? or is it just to get it out of your yard....

Brenda... my grandma once showed me how to make vanilla ice cream from the snow... has Becca ever done that? what are your latest wedding plans... did you find a dress?

Chrissy, that sure is a new one to me... a brownie in a crock pot...can't wait to see if Mikey likes it....

Mary, glad your DD liked her scrapbooks.... hope you had a great dinner........we aren't supposed to be quite as warm as you are... we are only going to be 53... but the weather report has been off a time or two lately.... amazing those people go to school and get a degree in weather..then they give it their best guess....lol....

Carol... glad your back is feeling a bit better... those Y seams in that barn block caused me a little trouble.. the trick is to sew them exactally 1/4 inch and not one thread less... yours will turn out beautiful....

I am going to tackle that BOM quilt today... but will probably get interrupted by the phone a few times... Marilyn has learned to dial our number and thinks she needs to talk to us all weekend... I am going to try to make her a tutu of some kind I bought the net like stuff when it was 74 cents a yard... but first the BOM.... I would love to make a big breakfast but wish it didn't take so long... maybe corn flakes instead....

you all have a super and cozy warm day

ttfn
Chriss

Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

lucieshouses

Post by lucieshouses » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:20 am

Good Morning!!! It's raining here in So. Calif.!! Just lit one of my candles, finished my coffee and getting ready to work on a Valentine wallhanging for DD#2. It's gonna be a cozy day.

My DS is moving out slowly but sure, maybe I can turn the bedroom back in to a sewing room or at least sewing storage. I don't want him to think I'm kicking him out. It's been a year. He's a great son and he and I support each other emotionally and I can count on him. He's also my business partner. He's had his real estate license for two years and I've had my license for thirty years. The real estate business has become so high tech, he keeps my computers going and is very adept at all the financial programs available and keeps me in the know.

I'm getting ready to watch El on PBS TV in a while.

Make it a great day everyone! Lucie

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:23 am

Chriss - A tutu for Marilyn sounds very cute! It shouldn't be difficult, just gathering and a waistband or even grosgrain ribbon would work. Sounds fun!

I have two of the y-seams finished and the blocks are fine. As I said, I am taking it slowly.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:25 am

Lucie - What channel on PBS? Do you have cable?

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:47 am

Yes I did find a dress yesterday. I actually found 2 at Dressbarn. They each come to the knees and are form fitting. One is gold and one is dark purple. They were 60% off so each were under $30. I went ahead and got both so I will decide later which one to wear. I just need to lose about 10lbs to feel more comfortable in them. They fit well but I wouldn't want to gain any weight between now and then that is for sure since they are very form fitting. I am not used to wearing something so dressy but they are pretty.

Brenda

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:53 am

Brenda - How exciting to have found the dress! Pictures? Maybe we could help you decide??

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:09 am

Well pictures are a good idea. I will do that. Thanks. My daughter says the gold so I know what she wants.

Brenda

msdeets

Post by msdeets » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:10 am

Hi All,

Well hubby is on his way to work and until he gets there my heart will be in my throat.
The roads are horrible.
He is driving his jeep so he says that he should be ok.
I have to tell you ladies SNOW stinks when you have to be out in it. We have between 45 and 55 mile per hour winds with it.

Next to the fabric and quilting.
Yesterday I won a beautiful basket that our cardiac units had a raffel for. I am thinking about making a red and white and maybe pink lap quilt for the health fair next year promoting womens heart health week.

I am looking for some ideas with heart patterns too if any has any let me know.

Have a fluffy day
Dolores

Return to “Sew ins”