Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

TGIF Febuary 5,2010

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Re: TGIF Febuary 5,2010

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:18 am

Good Morning!

Even our local news is talking about the upcoming storm about to hit the east. Be safe, everyone! What a great excuse to sit and sew! It sounds like a bad one!

LOIS - how lucky your friend is to have you to help her. How far do you have to go for the chemo tx? Do you take any handwork to do while you wait?

SUZETTE - sounds like you have a good plan on how to 'weather' the storm!

CHRISSY - that recipe sound yummy! I'll have to check it out. I rarely drink pop at all, but if I do, I usually want root beer.

KATHY - I'm anxious to hear how your shoulder appt goes.

CHRISS - Sounds like YOU have a good plan, too, for weathering the East's storm! lol! Hope you gets lots of BOM blocks made! Do you make a whole quilt every month out of that one block, or do you make one quilt out of 12 blocks? I've never done the BOM. It sounds fun, but I always have so much to sew there's no time to fit in anything else. Not this year, anyway.

TEX - do you get every Fri off? Or is this a special day? Hope you get to go sniff and fondle some fabric today!

EVERYONE ELSE - good morning! have a safe and wonderful day, however you are spending it!

I need to run out and buy an ice cream cake for DD's birthday dinner tonite. It's the only kind of cake she likes. We'll take it with us in a cooler when we go a Mexican restaurant tonite to celebrate her 38th. Then a few uglies downstairs in the family room and after that I think I'll get a bit of sewing in on my log truck quilt. I set it aside for a week, but am ready to get back to it now! Wishing you all a special Friday!

Mary Z

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:19 am

When school closed at my house way back then, it was a real party. Later years, when work shutdown due to weather, it was a real party.
Now, I party everyday..How cool is that..Weather is improving all around, leaving room for springtime. Yeah!

Made some "Aunt Mary's sugar roll cookies" Valentine shape, wish you could all come over for milk and cookies. Bring your bread, bundt cake, pepsi cake. Wait a minute pepsi cake? That's new to me.

Enjoy your food cravings lady..How are we going to stay awake, will all that delicious dessert? Throw in the coffee, then we'll all be jittery..That sewing will just fly...

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:28 am

Well, I'm so slow, I missed several of you.

TRACI - glad to hear your funk is lifting. Take a big whiff of new fabric. Breathe deeply. That should do it! And I have to tell you, I do genealogy and one of my ancestors has a last name very similiar to "Towens" (which is how your forum name reads). Her first name was Rachel. And so I always think of you as Rachel. And I just realized I've probably called you that a few times. Apologies. If I do it again, please consider it a compliment!

CINDY - have a super weekend! We'll be needing to hear how the quilting went and what all you might find at the quilt shop!!

GRAMMIE - I've seen the ads for that show. It does look kind of strange. I'm still working on BONES. I try not to watch that one while we're eating! lol!

SCRAPPY - thanks for reminding me! I want to make some Valentine cookies and decorate them. I'll freeze them to take next weekend camping with friends. It's also our anniversary so I wanted something special!

Now, I'm off to shower!

mary z (again)

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:31 am

Good Morning Everyone,
Lois - You are being a very good friend. Enjoy your haircut pampering!

Suzette - Enjoy quilting! A usual 8 minutes away from home is truly a wonderful drive to work!

Chrissy - Have a good day and please eat a slice of that wonderful sounding cake for me!

Chriss - Have a good day today and come back and pick out those fabrics!

Karen - Enjoy your day without classes!

Judi - Enjoy the baking you are planning! Hurry with those uglies done so you can sew!

Traci - Have fun at the basketball Homecoming game!

Cindy - Have a good work day today! Enjoy your visit with your BFF and enjoy the quilting!

I am going to sew today. It is supposed to rain here today. I have a Chiropractor/Massage Appointment later today.

Kathy - Hope you get the shot for your shoulder.

Carol

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 am

Good Morning everyone! Temp is hovering around the freezing mark, light rain/snow mix and the windshields on the cars are starting to freeze. Several schools, Vivian's area, are closed or on delay..a few are early dismissal.

Judi, you need to tell us about this cold oven pound cake! I'm assuming that you put it in a cold oven instead of letting it preheat..if it turns out good I want the recipe! I used to make this pound cake, years ago, that was delicious but odd. All pound cake tell you to add the ingredients, one at a time, beating WELL between each addition...this recipe has you dump it all in and then beat for 20 minutes! Back then, I only had a hand mixer, so I had to hold that sucker for 20 minutes! That's a LONG TIME! LOL! My MIL was amazed at that recipe..and said that she had NEVER heard of a recipe like that for pound cake, but she loved it.

Chrissy, aren't you supposed to get any of the storm?? That rootbeer chocolate bundt cake sounds good! I'll have to print it out later. We've been covered up with cake around here since Earl's birthday last Sunday! NO MORE CAKE...at least for awhile! lol!

Chriss, you didn't mention it, so I guess the earthquake either wasn't near you or didn't affect you! I'd like to get a quilt a month, too, with the Strip Tzzz BOM! I have strips layed out all over my fabric room! lol! But I need to get this star quilt into the frame. I ironed all the backing fabric, tore the strips that I need to add to the backing and I'm ready to sew it up today.
I'm trying to decide how to put it in the frame, since it is a good 20" wider than the frame. I think I will just overlap on one side, quilt all that, then remove it and reposition to finish.

All of you working, have a good Friday! Careful on the roads!

Joanne

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 am

You're not the only slow one, Mary!
Good morning to you, Carol and scrapquilter!

vivian1970

Post by vivian1970 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:09 am

Morning, Schools are closed here and my DGD is watching tv in the living room. I just got up and discovered I have a cold. Yep, went to bed fine and woke up sick. So I have been in bed all morning. But its time to get up and do something. Hate laying around. Alexis and I went through the tubs of fabric last night and she picked out some she would like pillowcases made from. So I might tackle that today.

Not sure why they called school off. There is a dusting of snow in the yard. Must have been the rain turning to ice. Oh well, its friday and she wont' have to take her "quizzies" as she calls them.

All this talk about cake makes me hungry. I might go in there and bake a cake. Have to see if I feel like it.

There are too many posts to respond to, guess thats what I get for laying bed.LOL I have read them all. You guys are busy. If you are in an area where the snow and ice is, be careful and stay safe. Spring is on the way. We just have to get this nasty weather out of the way. You know, when I was younger winters didn't bother me as much as they do now.

Well gotta go take something for this cold. Have a great day

Viv

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:27 am

Good morning to All! After a quiet day yesterday, everyone is here today. We're much of the same with rain, snow and freezing temps. I'm going to go to town and have lunch with MIL, then go to Mom's. I'll fix her hair and we will sandwich my Peter Rabbit quilt today. DH is off to the coffee shop.

Looks like the East is in for a BIG ONE for a winter storm. Suzette--stay safe!!! The TV showed you're to get the worst of it in the DC area. I liked snow days when I worked at the university. They translated to SEW days for me!

Chrissy, root beer and chocolate... I don't know??? I never could get the taste for chocolate colas. Vanilla or cherry... a different story. Still, it may be one to try!!!

Kathy--hope your shoulder gets relief! When I have chills and fever, it seems my muscles tighten up and get sore like after exercise and it lasts a few days.

Lois--your taming of Mt. Washmore early in the day is admirable! So kind of you to be with your friend when she needs you!!!

Chriss, good morning! I have no doubt you will get all the quilts made!!!

Good morning, Karen! I'm glad you noted where Alvarado is. I hadn't taken time to look it up yet. Have a delightful day!

Hi, Judi--your house will be smelling sooooooooo good!!! I'm adding pounds just thinking of your pound cake and bread!

Hi, Traci--glad you hear you are rising from the funk! Fondling fabric and looking at books or patterns is always the best medicine!!! "Take two fat quarters and call me in the morning!"

Cindy, Painted Pony Quilt Shop sounds familiar. Was it in one of the Quilt Samplers??? Have fun!!!

Hi, Mary! Happy birthday to your DD!!! Mine will be 43 this year. I'm NOT THAT OLD!!!!!! Mexican food and ice cream cake--a DD after my own heart!!!

Scrapquilter-- are the Mary's sugar cookies from the Betty Crocker cook book? They are the ones I've made for 40+ years. I'll make some for Valentine's day, too.

Hi, Carol--enjoy your treatment/massage today. Hope you get to sew today too!

Joanne--good luck with your quilt framing! Your 20 minute mixing must have seemed like forever! If you pleased your MIL, I'm sure it was ALL worth it!!! LOL!!!

I'm going to go check the weather and walk to the post office. Looks like it's dripping something. Hope to stay vertical, since the temp is around 32. BBL... Everyone, enjoy your day and stay safe if you have to get out!!!

EDIT: Vivian, I walked on you. Hope you get to feeling better!!! Sounds like a good day to stay in and rest up. Baking smells and chicken soup are also good medicine, not to mention sewing with a little one!!! Have fun!

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:31 am

HI!!

I'm back from the Dr's and he said the plan is no shot as the Rotator Cuff is not as bad as before. When it bothers me too much, surgery time. There is a bigger problem than the surgery!! He said 6 to 8 weeks out of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't remember that when I had the other one repaired. I have 2 weeks vacation and 5 personal days. I must have gone back earlier than he said. Anyways it will be done and I will be fine.
Now I'm off to the dump & bank too save my money....LOL

Back soon....Kathy

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:18 am

Farmchick - I've mentioned Painted Pony Quilt Shop on here before so maybe that's where you heard the name. It's my favorite quilt shop - you can look them up online and see a few pictures of it. But it doesn't even show the huge section of batiks and I don't think it shows the baby room or the civil war fabric rooms either. I need to go to their website and take a look. They might have changed it since I last saw it.

Painted Pony 'n Quilts - on the home page, click on "about us" scroll down and click on "take tour". I just love that place.

Return to “Sew ins”