Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday, January 31

Daily discussions.
FarmChick

Re: Sunday, January 31

Post by FarmChick » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:03 am

Good afternoon! I cut blocks for Mom--got ten 8.5" squares out of "kid" fabrics--some leftover from Myles' I Spy quilt (THANK YOU!!!), as well as 25 4.5" squares. Mom's making another I Spy quilt for one of her great-grandsons. She is using 8.5" squares alternated with 4-patch squares that finish at 8.5". I also made another little logcabin chicken. My flock now has two calico hens. I'll make some more as I go along so they have company. Need to make them a chicken coop. I'll look for a little antique box of some sort.

Your talk of roasts sounds sooooooooooo good!!! DH doesn't much like any kind of pot roast. His parents had more means than my house did when we were growing up, so his mom made roast tenderloin--didn't need "tendering up" or slow braising. We were lucky to have chuck roast in the pot. He also doesn't like brown gravy. When he was about six years old, he packed a little suitcase and ran away rather than eat brown gravy. He came home when it got dark. And he still doesn't eat brown gravy, which is a favorite of mine. It's all in how you are raised what your tastes are. I like the shredded beef, too! (Chuck roast shredded, but DH thinks it's "stringy". LOL) MaryEllen, I'm going to print your recipe. I love the idea of the cider!

You asked about our house--it's really hard to keep warm when the temps are sooooooo low. I have my fleece-lined jeans and layers of sweatshirts. Think Michelin Mamma!!! This little house has heat pumps, not central heat--two wall units. They go on auxiliary electric heat at about 30 degrees outside. Normally the heat pumps are pretty efficient, until it gets frigid outside. It has warmed to the lower 20s, and is spitting fine, powdery snow. The fog has lifted, so it's still gray, just not as "close".

Happy birthday, Earl! I think the anesthesia from surgery works on taste buds. That's not uncommon to have "new" cravings.

Scrapquilter--hope you stay warm!!! Thankfully today we don't have those minus wind chills!

Years ago, my sister lived in Omaha, Nebraska. I noticed when we went shopping that clothes up there were made of heavier, warmer fabrics than we had in southern Kansas. I got a beautiful winter coat up there.

I think I'll go in search of hot tea... BBL Enjoy your afternoon!

mequilter9158

Post by mequilter9158 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:26 am

Just to let you know, the recipe for the stew is posted! I surfaced long enough to do that!

Chrissy1

Post by Chrissy1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:33 am

Grammie I hope you don't have that headache bug. It is a stinker and tends to linger.

Farmchick what can I do to help your mom with squares for her quilt. I didn't get to the fabric shop this weekend with the weather to get her the fabric I want but will next satruday. They are actaully haveing a big super bowl fabric sale on sunday so maybe I will wait and go then, I need to get Gramma Mildred some fabric.
Kathy you really should post pictures of your cookies. I bet they are wonderful

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:10 am

I am done.. I have finished Mary's box swap stuff and there is fabric leftover... I really wanted to use it all up but gosh, how many pin cushions can a gal use?

Miriam.. my aunt used to live in Omaha and she also said the clothes were warmer there... My other aunt lives in Nebraska.. I will have to ask her about the warmth of the clothes there... hope you are able to stay warm.

Chrissy... there is a quilt store near here ( 45 minutes away) that has a super bowl sale too... it's the only Sunday they are open... and maybe I will have to check it out this year... one year I got a lot of flannel to make a flannel quilt which DH is laying under right now he's not sleeping just watching tv with his eyes closed...

Off to check out MaryEllens recipe and then to pick out fabric for the BOM hope I at least get it cut into strips...

ttfn,
Chriss

Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

jcdeem

Post by jcdeem » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:56 am

good afternoon/evening all,

I knew some of you would get a kick out of the kid story not to mention Dega's little adventure, she was sneaking upstairs because she knows that she isn't allowed up there, too much trouble that a beagle can get into.

I read about some pot roast, I love it and brown gravy too, and maryz's meatloaf sounds mighty good too.

Chriss what was your decision this morning, was it breakfast first or was the shower? before I do anything in the mornings I have to have a shower, and before bed again I have to have a shower, nothing makes a person feel so much better than a nice hot shower.

scrapquilter48 you said it best, we are all in agreement that spring won't be soon enough, I am sick of this stuff, they are talking about some snow here within the next couple of days, not looking forward to that, and that will mean having to carry Dega out to the street from the house.

farmchick, Michelin Mamma??? YIKES, I bet when spring does get here you will feel hundreds of pounds lighter, but I have to admit that I got a laugh from that one.

I have cookies (choc. chip from scratch) in the oven, I will take some to work tomorrow and some extra for Wayne to take home with him for him and his wife, and naturally some for me here at home.

time to go and switch trays in the oven and grab another cup of coffee.

have a good, warm and Safe night all.

jay

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Well, I've been out twice today for errands. Took Bunny-cat to the mobile vet for a rabies vacc. They instituted a new thing - if you don't bring proof that your cat has been vaccinated in the past (and they don't tell you that you NEED that proof) then you get certification for only 1 year. Even though it's the SAME SHOT! It's merely a newly devised way to make more money. Frustrating.

Chriss - you're DONE!! Now what are you going to do with all your spare time? How are we going to keep you out of trouble?? But I can't wait to see that box of goodies when it arrives. I'll be sure to take photos and post them under the Swaps thread.

My Son-in-law planned a day at the Santa Anita Racetrack in CA to celebrate DD's birthday (2 weeks late) and she just texted me that she won $60! That's my little gambling girl!!

Everyone sounds weekend-busy. I hope Earl is enjoying his birthday. Wish we were getting some birthday cake - or some Valentine cookies! Kathy, you've reminded me I have valentine-shaped cake pans way back in the lower cupboard. I think I"ll dig them out and make a special cake for DH to take in the RV with us in 2 weeks. Valentine's in our 18th anniversary and we're going out for 4 days. (he picked it so he would be able to remember it!) THANK YOU!

well, back to my sewing.

Mary

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:10 pm

Jay, it was sewing first.. then brunch, ( polish sausage sandwich with swiss on sour dough) then more sewing... no shower yet but I will get in there in a few minutes...at work I always tell people I accept edible gratuities... one gal faxed me a picture of a plate of chocolate chip cookies.... not very nice huh??? hope Wayne enjoys yours.

Yes Mary, I am done... and now there is no stopping me... I will probably hang out in bars with all the free time I will have now... or maybe I will just work on my BOM stuff....lol... this has been so much fun... everything is boxed, addressed and ready for shipment... I threw in a couple of magazines I am done with...

Judi, hope you got to go to the game and are feeling better.

off to the showers....

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

macdor

Post by macdor » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 pm

Good evening!!!!!!!!!!!!! The last couple of weeks I don't seem to be able to keep up with everyone. I have read all the post. Everyone has keep them self busy today.

I got stashing on five more blocks and two rows sewed together on DGS5's quilt. Only four more rows to go. Did a load of wash. Fixed dinner for Todd, he has not had a meal since Thursday. He decided to stay last night. Was home around noon, took a nap and watched the end of the race at home. It was just too cooled for him to stay any longer. He had a great time, that is what is important.

Chriss the box is empty. I feel bad now, I need to get busy and use up what is in my box. I do know what I'm making.

Everyone have a great evening.

Dorothym

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Good evening!

Hi, Chrissy! I got Mom a bunch of blocks cut today. She needs to see how many more she needs. Thank you sew much for your offer!!! She is using the 4.5" scraps from her neck pillows for part of the blocks. With what I cut today, she has all the 8.5" squares she needed.

Jay, I only WISH I was 100 pounds lighter in the spring!! Somehow, under all the Michelin layers, I seem to add permanent fat layers, too. ANYthing to keep warm!!! Winter is NOT my friend!!!

Dorothy--you are busy sewing and getting blocks made while we are chatting! Hope to see your pics! Sounds like Todd had a time of it at the races. That's a LOT of race days!!! I think my eyes would glaze over and my head would explode from the "Thunder". The race I went to was a fabulous experience, however!

Mary--Your DD was very lucky!!! Did you tell her you know some great quilt shops that accept "ill gotten gains"???? LOL!!! I've been to the horse races once in Seatle--FUN!!! I came out ahead on the day, but only about $20. Happy Feb 14 Anniversary!!!

Chriss--my late DH used to say from the eyes closed position on the recliner that he "had put the screen savers on." LOL The other favorite is "checking my eyelids for holes." A faxed pic of chocolate chip cookies--now that's sadistic!!!

Now, I need to go put my feet up and relax... Maybe with a quilt magazine... TTYL...

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:18 pm

Everyone is so busy, I feel like a slug! Earl and I fixed dinner...he wanted that macaroni, tomatoes and ground beef thing...so he fixed it all except the macaroni and the dishes! lol! It was good..he added some BBQ sauce..I fixed Grands biscuits, he loves them. Now he's back to working on his family history..and I am here! lol!

Tasted the carrot cake I made yesterday and it is GOOD! ymmmm! Jay's talking about his chocolate chip cookies didn't bother me at all..! Jay, your workers will LOVE you! I love hearing about Dega...if I had a dog, it would be a beagle..I love their ears.

Chriss, I'm sure glad you got that "box" done! Mary, you will be amazed.. I'm cutting my strips from my stash and it's taking a long time..almost all the fabric is NOT WOF..about half WOF. That means double the amount of "piles"!! This is going to be a really scrappy quilt!

Mary, I have those same heart shaped cake pans...haven't used them in years! Seems like we always need the 13 X 9 to feed the bunch we have! But, I guess I could make TWO cakes, huh??! How cool to have Valentine's Day as your anniversary! That's right, isn't it??

Well, Ax Man comes on at 9pm, so I'll go do some dishes!

Joanne

Return to “Sew ins”