Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sunday, January 31

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Sunday, January 31

Post by suzette58 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:44 pm

Good morning everyone. We got about 5-6" of snow yesterday. We were only supposed to get a dusting. So, this morning my husband has to go to work. Yesterday my neighbor found out her breast cancer is back where they removed her breast last year. Plus they found a spot on her shoulder blade. She starts treatment just when you start planning yardwork. So, my husband and son are going to do that for her. Today I am going to work on my brother's quilt. I'll have the house to myself. Have a great day!!!
Suzette58
Suzette

fabricgirl

Re: Sunday, January 31

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:53 pm

Goodmorning Suzette

Im up early my DH had to go to work also .

So sorry about your neighbor hopefully they caught it early.

Today I just have to put borders on my photo quilt for my friend then

I will start the carpenters star all though I have read on here that it's a bear to make will see.

Well Have A Great Day .

I hope the snow melts quickly.

Lois BBL.

jcdeem

Post by jcdeem » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:01 am

good morning Lois and Suzette and all others after me,

Suzette sorry to hear about your neighbor, you never know when something like that will rear it's ugly head, I hope that they caught it early enough to treat it, so far there has been no more snow around here.

have fun in your sewing room Lois, that carpenter star I do not think that I could do.

Friday night I was over at my best friends house, he has 6 year old twins (1 boy and 1 girl), well being typical 6 year olds, they were all hyped up and running and getting into trouble, so they got sent to bed early, well naturally they didn't like that, as we sat at the kitchen table which is right below their bedroom, we could hear them talking, the girl said that she was so mad at daddy that she will never snuggle with him again, the boy said that he was so mad that when their dad is old and in a wheel chair he was going to wheel him to the garbage pile.

fast forward to yesterday morning I had to go back over there to install some software on his computer, before the kids were up, as we sat at the kitchen table drinking some coffee, the kids were up and come running down stairs to hug everyone good morning, I looked at them and mentioned to the girl that I thought she wasn't going to snuggle with dad anymore, and to the boy, I commented about the wheelchair and the garbage, and the looks on their faces was priceless, I told them that I know all the bad things they say and tell the Easter Bunny and Santa when they are bad and say mean things, they bought it, but they are typical and Normal 6 year olds, you can't help but love em.

last night I worked a little bit on the runner, I didn't get the door completely closed going upstairs, and the next thing I know, I could hear the door open further, and heard small slow clicks on the steps, that silly dog of mine was sneaking upstairs not thinking I was there, when she got to the top she peaked around the corner and I said BOO! and she quickly ran down them steps lighting fast, and about five minutes later the same thing again, she was sneaking up them steps, only I didn't scare her this time, she laid there on a old jacket of mine by the window, I just couldn't help but laugh at that silly dog, just like kids they will do the silliest things that you can't help but laugh at.

time to get me another cup of coffee.

have a good and Safe day all.

jay

ps...I saw quite a few of the projects in the photo section, and there were all great jobs well done, I really liked what "girl" had done with her log cabin quilt, you all should be proud of the work you had done :)

Stargatefan

Post by Stargatefan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:19 am

Good Morning, everyone...
Suzette - I'm so sorry to hear that your friend's cancer has returned. Bless your heart for helping her out.
Lois- it sounds like you have a very productive day going!
Jay - you're a hoot! You ought to be the intersect! LOL!

Not much going on with me today. I have to work from 1 - 7. I'm looking for a new job. I know I should be grateful for what I have but there are behind the scenes things I can no longer take. I've been updating my resumes and applications online. Hope I get something soon before I lose my mind - which is going fast! LOL!

Have a great day everyone!

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:34 am

Morning to All!!

The sun is out in all it's glory today. Hope it warms up my world especially my sewing room. I want to work on my minis(6 1/2"). I am behind 3 or 4. Some one at class told me to shrink the patterns(Drunkard Path&Dresden Plate) 50% on the photocopier. Now why didn't I think of the that...LOL
Suzette...I'm happy for all that the storm has finally gone out to sea. It just passed south on Long Island.
So sorry to hear about your neighbor. I'll put her on my prayer list.

Lois...Sounds like a sew day for you. (:(:
After balancing my check books, I'm sewing until DD comes over for lunch. How big is your Carpenter Star block?

jay...little children are the greatest. You never know what they are going to say!

I'm off to balance & sew.....Kathy

msdeets

Post by msdeets » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:40 am

Good Morning Everyone.

The snow dropped about 3 to 4 inches and it is still in the teens here and wtill windy.

I did try the cathedral window and did it all on the machine I made a mat for my table.

The tutorial on www.sometimescrafterblogspot.com gives directions using 12 1/2 inch white squares to start and I like it better than the 7 inch that I used. The larger scale is easier to sew.
You have to check it out if you ever wanted to attempt the cathedral window.

I think today I will attempt to cut out my carpenters star.
I have to put some fabric away in the sewing room first. I just don't know how my sewing room gets so messy.

Have a lovely day ALL.

Dolores

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:05 am

Good Morning! Happy Sunday to you all.

SUZETTE - My best wishes to your neighbor as she goes through the treatment ahead of her. How wonderful of your generous DH and DS to help her out with her yard work. And you are working hard on that special quilt for your brother. What a great family you are!

LOIS - will you be able to post a photo of your photo quilt? We'd love to see if possible. And I bet you can do the Carpernter's Star. And think how good you'll feel when you finish it! How big is this star? Is it the same as the Carpenter's Wheel in El's UGRR book?

JAY - Love your Dega stories! She's entertainment plus! That's funny about the twins! You're a hoot! Bet they'll view you with awe for years to come! When my older brother (the one I"m making the log truck quilt for) was little, and he got mad at my dad, he's walk away (usually after a paddling) and mutter to himself, "I'm going to cut your head off when I get big 'nuff". When he turned 60, I asked him if he was big 'nuff yet, and he laughed, and answered, "not yet!"

STARGATE - I wish you luck in your new job hunt. Sounds like it's time to move on.

KATHY - hope you get a lot of progress done on your blocks today. And glad the storm missed you. You've had your share!

DELORES - there are gremlins, you know. They come out at night, searching for unlocked sewing rooms. And then, while you sleep the sleep of the just, they tear into your fabrics and your notions & patterns, and toss them around and make terrible messes. And they can travel with the speed of light. I know this because they were here last night, too! I've tried, but know of no way to stop them! I just know I end up having to eventually clean up their messes.

Today I have to get some groceries and go to the library. I should vacuum the upstairs, too. Then I think I"ll make a meatloaf and backed sweet potatoes for dinner. But most of my hours will, hopefully, be taken up with sewing Carolyn's Box of Fab Fabrics! The ideas are backing up on me and I now have 3 different things going from that fabric! She really packed a lot in there!

Have a great day everyone, and all who come after!

Mary Z

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:51 am

Good Morning, I am sitting here with my coffee debating on fixing a nice big breakfast or should I just hit the shower and sew or should I just go sew and pack that box? it's hard to be me and have all these options....

Lois... I am can't wait to hear your take on the carpenters star... so far I haven't heard too many good things.. I would love to try this one but need a bit more experience before I try... from the comments I just am not ready to tackle it yet...

Jay, your story about telling Santa on the 6 year olds reminded me of telling my granddaughter, also 6, that I would call Santa.. she challenged me so I called my son and said Santa, Marilyn isn't behaving so he changed his voice and talked to her... she straightened up.... funny how much power an overgrown elf in a red suit has........... and I agree, the pictures are wonderful in the photo section and some day I will tackle that log cabin, mine never come out square...

Stargate, good luck with the job search... enjoy your day.

Kathy, I didn't think of shrinking blocks either, but that would work... I have thought of enlarging them but guess my mind doesn't work both ways... what are you and DD going to watch today?

Dolores.. I love the cathederal window.. it's a great way to use up scraps.... good luck with your star...

Mary, it is a fun swap isn't it? I will be done with yours today and it will be in the mail and on it's way...

Suzette, sorry about your friend, I bet you and your family are a huge blessing to her...

I have decided that corn flakes make a great breakfast and the shower can wait.. I need to sew....you all have a fun day

Chriss
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:03 am

Hi! Tea break.

Donna...good luck looking for a new job. It is a difficult time.

Dolores...I also wish I knew how the sewing room got so messy!
Someone must be going in there while I sleep.

MaryZ...you have a busy day planned..I hope you can find some sewing time.

BBL....Kathy

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 am

Suzette I am sorry to hear about your neighbor. I have a sister who just had a double mascetomy (splng). She is going through chemo now and has lost her hair. Her spirits are good though so that will really help her to fight the fight.

I don't know yet what I will be doing today. I need to get my shower first and then I can think more clearly.

I bought my daughter some cin. toast crunch cereal and tried it myself and it is reallly gooood. We eat cereal dry around here normally

BBL

Brenda

Return to “Sew ins”