Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday, January 29 TGIF

Daily discussions.
cindyg

Re: Friday, January 29 TGIF

Post by cindyg » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:05 am

Oops, sorry Grammie, I was typing when you were. I LOVE to go to the RV shows. Ours big show will be in a couple of weeks. I don't know if I can drag the DH to it or not. He sees no reason to go if we aren't going to buy a new one. I love to browse and see what's new.

Dorothy - I really like my "me" days. Will your DH freeze his tush off in Ohio?

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 am

Hello there!

SUZETTE - Hope your pinkie isn't too sore. Maybe a finger cot from the drug store will help protect it - AND that pretty quilt!

LOIS - rubies to you for taking your friend to Chemo. I'm sorry your reward will be dirty laundry!

DELORES - Happy Retirement! I'm sure it won't take long to adjust to quieter evenings filled with the hum of your sewing machine!

JAY - however are you going to fit a KW into your Fleet of Fords? Will you have park it out back behind the dumpster?

CHRISS - yes!! Here's to a sucessful weekend filled with LOTS of sewing! You've earned it!

VICKY - safe travels! And enjoy your stay. Don't forget to pack blankets and emergency chocolate in your car!

GRAMMIE - Your UGRR is coming along! That's exciting. Enjoy the RV show and dinner. We wanted to go to the Jan. RV show in Tacoma, but if there was one this year, we missed all the commercials for it.

DOROTHY - Sounds like you have a terrific weekend all planned out! You and the cats. Enjoy!!

Today will be more sewing for me. I made one thing from Carolyn's FILL the BOX box of fabs, but I still have 99% of the fabric left! I also want to sew my logs onto my log truck quilt today. So far that project is going way better than I'd expected! Tonite will be dinner out at a Chinese Restaurant with 3 other couples. Not our favorite restaurant, but one of our friends loves it and since he masterminded the gathering, I guess he gets to choose. I can eat almost anything (except fish!) if I'm not cooking it.

Wishes for a nice day all. And all who post after me!

Mary Z

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:26 am

Good cold, snowy morning! We didn't get near the storm that was forecast for us, thankfully!, however snow is still coming down. We watched on the TV radar last night, and it just split about a 10-mile path for about 30 miles and we were in the center of it. That's how it rained all around us in a dry summer, too. It was pretty sickening then, but not now!

Yesterday afternoon, one of our friends came by after tending to his cattle and stayed several hours visiting, eating cookies and drinking coffee. Then, last evening six of us went to dinner (in case the weather was bad tonight-LOL!) at an Italian restaurant. Delicious, and leftovers!!!

I'm worried about White Dog. I've learned there is a neighbor who has been shooting dogs for pooping in his yard. Heard he was bragging about offing a Labrador that was usually an indoor dog but got him when he was out for a morning run. I haven't seen White Dog for a couple of days, and I fear the WORST. White Dog may have been a nusiance, but to just off dogs is pure EVIL!!! I have noticed the dog population is shrinking. Another Lab from across the alley is missing. It used to be funny to watch it climb the fence and escape. Now I wonder what happened to it...

Dolores--Hydrogen peroxide on the blood spots. Might take several applications, but I've used it successfully.

Lois, know your friend is appreciative of your company at her chemo!

Jay, hope Wayne takes his downsizing in a positive manner!!! Know you'll make his transition as easy as possible. You WILL miss his work ethic!!!

Hi, Chriss--looking forward to hearing Mary's reaction to your box work!!! Have a good day!

Vicky--enjoy the Ladies' Night!!! Hope you get some R&R!!!

Grammie--enjoy your day!!! A camper show MUST mean Spring is coming!!! All we can do now is dream of warmer climes...

Dorothy--enjoy your time while Tom is at the races. I was going to try to take (late) DH to Race Week, but he came down with the next round of brain tumors and then went on hospice that year. The year before I'd taken him to Phoenix to a race--his FIRST (and only), and it was worth everything I $pent to do it for him!!!

Cindy--I definitely wish a better Finally Friday for you than your Terrible Thursday!!! What a nightmare of Murphy's Laws!!!

Suzette--Hydrogen Peroxide for you, too!!! Hope your finger is better soon!!! Latex glove fingers or "office fingers" are good over band-aids for sewing and keeping blood off white fabrics.

Hope everyone has a Fondle Fabric Friday--today or after work!!! Stay WARM and stay SAFE!!!

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:29 am

Mary, Purrrrrfectly good morning to you!!!! I'm thinking of you and your log blocks!!! Enjoy the Chinese! YUMMMM!!!!! Will be looking forward to seeing what you did with Carolyn's box of fabrics, too!

EDIT: Traci, Barbara, TagsMom--how much snow did you get???

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:44 am

Good Morning!!

I'm taking a slow morning...I'm still mopey that my DD2 flew home with the DGBs. But today is the last day for that.
My plan is shower, put all toys away, a few uglies and start my Valentine cookies. They have to be mailed so they need to be done now and mail next week. OH yes I will slow today!!

Like many of you it is cold here. The wind chill will bring us to -5' at times. So no run to the dump(:(:

Suzette...Sorry about your finger!

Lois...I laughed out loud!! I never heard Mt Washmore! I'll have to use it sometime..LOL

Dolores...split fingers...I call them cracks. I have a peely egsama(sp?)on finger tips. What do you do for yours. I'm always looking for a better treatment. Right now I put a dab on Neosporin & band aids. and sometimes medical tape, what ever it takes to give it a good buffer. Sometimes it looks like I had my finger tip sewed back on.
Happy retirement...this is going to make a big difference in your day.

Jay...congrats on your new truck. I too would fine it distasteful to cut someone hours or let them go. Good luck.

Chriss...hope you work day was fast & smooth.

Vicky..have a great weekend & safe travel.

Grammie...good luck with all those little pieces. Keep warm.

Dorothy...How was lunch. I love doing lunch wish I could have joined you.

Cindyg....hope you work day was better. And that you get to fondle your fabric today!

Well off to shower and see how many people posted while I pecked away on the key board.

Kathy

maryz...sounds like a lot of sewing for you today. What is it about it about Chinese food that makes it so good?? Enjoy your dinner.

Miriam....Nice to hear you Storm was a little smaller then expected. OMG!! Killing dogs for pooping in his yard & bragging about it. What a heartless dope. I'm not a dog or cat person...but I would not kill one. Can something be done about him. since he is telling people that he is doing this?

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:02 am

It's me, again. I've got a P.S. for all the dry, peely skinned folks. Working in a hospital for 20 years meant a hundred handwashings per shift with a big-time soap. I'd get cracks in my hands that would bleed - not good in an ICU. So I would put plain old Vaseline on my hands and cover them with gloves (there are special gloves for this, but any glove, or even sox will do) and sleep. Wake up and magically soft hands! I do this for my feet, too, when they get too dry. But usually after my shower.

Another P.S. for those looking for jobs. Our newspaper had an article saying the Census Bureau is looking for temporary workers. The positions are April through July with "competitive wages". There is info at 2010.census.gov/2010censusjobs. Just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone was interested.

Mary

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:18 am

-38 Celsuis w Windchill. Snowbanks piled high in Winnipeg capital city for Manitoba, which shares North border crossing with North Dakota and Minnesota state.

Love to fabric shop today in Economy Textile, where they sell by the pound to purchase denim/curdoroy fabric. A jean syle pant pattern I have been wishing to try! It has pockets, fly, yokes, front zipper.

If only I could master this pattern, then I could make myself numerous jean/curdoroy, to fit my shape and style.

Imagine the great wardrobe I would have and color choice I could wear..The bitter cold keeps people indoors, and requires get-go, to brave the cold. My tabby-cat, didn't even want to move from the door when he stepped out this morn.

TGIF day! (Thank God it's Friday), and enjoy your sewing room, projects, always love to see your pictures in quilting photo section.

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:36 am

Hi, Kathy! I plan to make some Valentine cookies, too. I'll wait a little longer to start mine. I told my DD about Lois' Mt. Washmore, and she said she had another peak in the range at her house... Mt. Foldmore! LOL

I love animals and just can't comprehend anyone killing domestic (or other) animals "just because". Apparently neighbors don't talk to neighbors if there is a problem. This guy is strange to put it mildly. I'm really sick about it all. Wish something could be done. Maybe he will boast to the wrong person some day!!! I can only hope he will get HIS someday!!!

I saw on the news that Oklahoma City is a disaster area with all the ice. That's where Traci lives. They may be without power for days. Pray that everyone there is o.k. and get through this!!!

We didn't get any ice--so very thankful!

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:48 am

Good morning from warm, sunny SW. Florida....Checking in for just a minute...I have read all the posts and it was so good to catch up with everyone....
I had a great flight down, although they broke the wheel off my big suitcase which made it pretty darn hard to pull...But, Gin was there to pick me up and it's been great...Today is an off day. Gin had an appointment so I'm on my own...You guys will laugh at this one...I thought I wouldn't be quilting until I got back home, but someone gave Gin a king size quilt top and asked if I'd finish it...Does that sound like a trip for backing and batting??? I also think this one might get tied....

The other day, I tried to post a picture and of course it didn't work so I didn't try to do any more...But besides the afghans, I do have a stack of baby quilts I was going to show off...Maybe when I get home or after I get a refresher course from my son....

Well, dear friends, I don't like to tie up her line, so I'd better move on....I hate to say it but this weather is pretty nice. I think today's schedule might be a long walk and then just sit outside and read...Life is good!

Take care everyone, I'll try to check in every once in a while...
Enjoy the day.......

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 am

Good Morning everyone! COLD here...our thermometer read 4 deg. at 8am! Good day to stay inside..
Suzette, I hate getting a cut! Dang bandaids are a pain..and it hurts! lol!
Lois, I thought you tackled Mt. Washmore a few days ago!! lol! Never ends!
MsDolores..babysitting is wonderful and awful at the same time..love being with them, but miss my "me" time...
Jay, maybe Wayne will welcome the part time work..unless he really needs the money..if he has a garden, that is awesome for his time!
BTW, did you get to quilt your runner??
Chriss, I'm so anxious for someone to get their box and post a picture! That's such a fun thread! I'd love to join the lotto, or another swap, but with QIAD's BOM, I don't dare! One project and BOM...that's IT!
Vicky, be very careful on the roads!! Your friend in KY might have problems so my prayers are with you both on the trip. You are probably gone by now, but I know you will have a good time on "ladies night at Comfort Inn"!
Grammie, I swear girl, you never cook anymore! lol! I liked the UGRR sampler...The Carpenter's Wheel is a BEAR...my little 6" block took three tries to get a good one...and the 12" isn't any better! It's a beautiful block though! Some day I'd like to make it is something besides reproduction fabrics..
DorothyM have a great weekend!! How cool to have a weekend to just sew!
Cindyg, your day has to be better than your day yesterday! lol! Don't you just HATE to give up your machine when it needs serviced?! I now have a "spare" machine, so it's not so bad..but before I bought this latest machine I went through "withdrawls"!! lol!
Maryz, I REALLY want to see that log truck quilt!! Who is it for?? I had to laugh about you not liking fish...Earl HATES fish (he had food poisoning once from some fish and now he can't stand even the smell! I have to hide somewhere when I eat my tuna! lol!). I'm just so jealous of all of you who are going out to eat tonight!! lol! Maybe I can talk Earl into going out...again. Are you the one that got the black, white and red fabric from the fill the box swap?? That is beautiful fabric!
Miriam, that is too sad about the neighbor that shoots dogs! Now I have to say that Earl HATES cats in our yard...we feed the squirrels and birds and most of the cats try to kill them. But Earl has a sling shot that he uses...not a gun..and they are far enough away that it does no permanent damage, just hurts them enough that they stay away. It's interesting to see which ones come back...some are smart..others are not so smart and keep coming back. I watched the neighbors cat catch a robin and sink its teeth into the robins breast...it is not a pretty sight..! And I know what it is like to walk in your yard and step in dog poop! Yuk! But it isn't necessary to kill the animals...a sling shot or BB gun will eventually keep them away. Dog walkers are bad here...Earl chased down a couple over the years and made them pick up their dog's waste out of our yard!
Kathy, yummm, Valentine cookies!! Are they coming to me??? lol!!! I'll bet they go to the grands!
Purrfect Mary!! I second the Vaseline!! I was a hairdresser many moons ago..vaseline and gloves at night...it's MAGIC!!
scrapquilter, now THAT is COLD!! I wish I could sew clothes...I have before, but they were pitiful!
Well, my book is written!! Now I need to DO something...but it's almost lunch time! I plan on doing some machine quilting on the baby quilt and marking the quilting on the stars quilt..
hugs to all that come after!
Joanne

Return to “Sew ins”