Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

I need help with my machine

Daily discussions.
ilovetosew

I need help with my machine

Post by ilovetosew » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:57 pm

I have a Kenmore sewing machine, model #385-19233 that I bought last January and it skips stitches, and I can't figure out why!

I've changed the needle, I use the right needle for the cotton fabric I'm sewing, I've re-threaded both top and bobbin threads but nothing helps. It's done it off and on over the year, but now it will sew fine for a few hours and then just start skipping so badly it won't even make a stitch - and I haven't changed anything!

Help! I have so much sewing to do!! Janie

fabricgirl

Re: I need help with my machine

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 pm

Janie did you try cleaning under the feed dogs and take the bobin out and takeing a smallbrush to it sometimes after sewing it will need a good cleaning.

I hope this helps and 1 other thing is your needle in correctly.

Lois

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:45 am

The only other think other than Lois' suggestions is that when you put the bobbin in the bobbin case, are you putting it in the correct way. Some are to come off the bobbin clockwise, some counterclockwise. Check your manual to be sure you are loading the bobbin in right. That does make a difference.

Also, be sure to brush around the top of the presserfoot shaft, as lint can build up there making the needle not go to the top of the cycle. You may have to open the faceplate and clean it, depending on if you can see it or not.

As Lois said, definitely check your needle. You might want to change it. Just a tiny burr where you may have nicked a pin or bent it slightly will make a HUGE difference.

These ARE suggestions from The Voice of Experience (unfortunately, my lessons are usually learned this way). LOL

ilovetosew

Post by ilovetosew » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Thank you all for the tips - I had already cleaned it thoroughly, tightened screws, changed the needle and all that. I think the machine just gets cranky and needs to take a break after a few hours of sewing. This morning I tried it and it works perfectly, and I haven''''t done anything differently. I worked until lunch time and it started skipping again, so I let it rest - tried it again after supper and it''''s sewing perfectly again. A mystery! I just have to give it coffee breaks now and then to keep it happy! Janie

ilovetosew

Post by ilovetosew » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Took it to the repair shop today - 2 weeks without a sewing machine!!!! I'm in withdrawal! Janie

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:10 pm

Janie, when I took my machine to Sears for work they told me two weeks also, but it was done in a week...so maybe you won't have to wait the full two weeks! Hope you get it quick!

Joanne

Return to “Sew ins”