Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

August 7, Friday

Daily discussions.
kho

Re: August 7, Friday

Post by kho » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:49 am

Hello, I have laundry going-again. DGD is here and we have been singing Twinkle Twinkle. LOL Today is son's 28 birthday. I asked him how he got this old so fast. He just looked at me and said it wasn't fast-it took a whole year to get here. LOL Party later today. We got one field of hay done-the other one or two are getting rained on ;(-not good. It's to wet to remove supers so we can extract honey. He has an escape on the supers-the bees can leave the honey -but can't get back in. Otherwise we would have a lot of bees in the house.
Remember to sign up for the August contest. I am thinking this might be an ongoing contest till the end of the year. Everyone seems to think it's simple enough!!LOL

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:19 am

Good morning!

I walked out and let out the chickens this morning and walked back. THE DOG has been tied up, so I've been able to sneak out of town without his company. I don't mind it, really, except around the chickens and also I'd hate to be held responsible for any accidents to him with vehicles on the highway. I got home in record time. Less than 1.5 hours!

Have had breakfast and DH is at the coffee shop. I did the UGHlies and the nasties--have a load of laundry on the line. (We must be the cleanest or the dirtiest people in town!) For two people, we generate a lot of laundry it seems.

I'm in my funk. We will be going after lunch to get my MIL for the weekend. Last time we did, it was a fiasco. She's 91, self-centered, demented, incontenent, picky, early Alzheimers... you get the picture. She lived with us for 18 months until our fire. Now she is at another brother's. Her own daughter WON'T take her under ANY circumstances. She wouldn't even take her for a few days after the fire. SIL is EXACTLY like her mother which is why they can't live together and tells you everything about both of them. This is the SIL who gave the cat for its bed the table runner I made from Diawabo fabrics because it didn't fit her decor.

I'm afraid I'm already thinking about where I can get my hands on chocolate. (I put on 15 pounds during those 18 months she was with us.) I probably won't get too much time on here after this afternoon until Sunday late or Monday. Yes, please, I WOULD like some cheese and bread with my wHine!!!

I'd like to be helping you Pat put up your corn. I used to help my grandma. I rode my bike to the locker and got a 25# block of ice in my basket and brought it home for her to use in cooling down the corn. It was always in the triple digits, and the ice melted as I rode and blew on my legs cooling them. Then we took the corn to the locker for storage and had to wear our coats! I put corn in our freezer last summer.

Kathy, that 31000 sq ft house contractor probably doesn't pay as much as you do for your permit. The BIG GUYS have favors and get them to look the other way--at your small deck. It sure happens around here. They pick on the small folks and ignore the persons of influence here.

Bev--glad to hear you got your channels. It happened to us only a week after we got our direct TV installed here. They had to replace the new receiver. Love your chickens! I could hear the roosters crowing this morning on my walk.

Chriss--it's funny that you had more time when your DH was at home. I have less time since my DH retired!!! LOL I'm happy your DH is employed. Know you are, too, and can put up with your extra work.

Kho--we got our hay put up a couple of weeks ago. DGS moved it all to the storage lot. I think our summer probably comes sooner than yours. I don't drive the tractor to rake since I took out a gate--LOL--guess I was too helpful! I just do lunches now. Enjoy your party!!!

Carin--your classes sound like lots of fun. Hope you get to check out the guilds in your area!

Mary, it will be worth all the work!!! Hang in there!!!

I know I missed a bunch, but I'll be thinking of you and wishing you a great day at work or at home! I'm hoping to get to hide in my sewing room some of this weekend. I think I'll move my computer in there now, too.

TTYL...

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:56 am

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I am in double SHOCK...
1. Everyone in the Northeast in here!! A 1 minute drive took me 4 or 5 minutes!! With a rainy July and a great forecast for the next few days they all came here to go to the beach!! LOL

2. The village hall visit was discouraging. So much paper work and forms. The village's form is only 2 pages...the Zoning Board of Appeals is ""11"" pages and $500. And I need to make 11 copies and I need a new survey..and on and on!! It irks me that I have to do all this and pay for something on my land!!
That is my rant ...thank you for being here. I will let you know how it all turns out in 2 years...LOL

I am going to have a little lunch...then cut some fabric for my table runner.

BBL....Kathy

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:55 am

Good morning everyone - Hope that all the girls at work have a quick day - the week-end is here!! YIPPEE

Started a tablerunner as a gift for a friend and the embroidery pattern I was going to use is giving me fits - so I will bag it and get out another one - that works for me!!

Kathy - dealing with permits is the pits!! We had to when we remodeled my kitchen and my wonderful contractor-NOT- left us hanging without a kitchen for over 18 months!! Our permits expired and we were going to have to renew them - pay the same amount of money all over again - but our replacement contractor got the city to waive that and he had the bathroom and kitchen done in 2 weeks!! Sometimes it is better to skip permits - I have a saying - It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission -sometimes!!!LOL

Bev - that rooster lives next door to me - He is time-challenged!! Starts crowing at 2:30 am and continues all day -

Irishgram - I agree with you about Jo Ann's - their fabric here leaves something to be desired!! At my Jo Ann's it is a superstore and they carry mostly craft stuff and not much fabric. When I worked for them it was the other way around!! I wish that we had some of the fabrics stores of yester-years past.

Pat - good luck getting all that corn done - I have heard family stories about when my mom and aunt let the pressure canner go dry and blew it up in the kitchen - had corn and glass all over the house!! No one was hurt - thank goodness!!

Off to see if I can get this runner done today - its not that hard!!

Have a great day
Jana

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:09 am

Maryz - you are certainly doing lots of work. I'd need a nap!

CArin - I'll go look at your pix. I think you will enjoy the hand quilting class. I took a class and once you learn the basics the rest is just practice practice practice.

Kathy - might as well do it right from the beginning and save yourself the fine.

Oh, man, Irishgram - I do NOT envy you that carpet in the kitchen. I don't like it in the bathroom either. How DO you keep it clean?

KHO - you lost me when you started talking about "supers".

FarmChick - I'll be thinking about you this weekend while you have your MIL. Maybe you can spent a lot of time down the road with the chickens and let your DH deal with his mother. Hmmmmmmmmm I wonder what my son-in-law says about me. - LOL

Kathy - are you sure the village will reject your proposal? Maybe you won't have to do the appeal thing.

Well, we went to have Chinese for lunch today. I am stuffed. I could stand a nap but I have to get back to work. BBL

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:28 am

Yippie it's Friday and I'm home from work early. I actually get to sew today. Hope everyone is having a productvie day. Lori :)
Lori 8-)

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:55 am

Carin - I took a hand quilting class last year and I loved it. You might be interested in this web site they have three-D patterns: http://thimble-art.com/'>http://thimble-art.com/

busyhands125

Post by busyhands125 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:53 am

Well girls,

I am done with corn today. Froze 14 quarts cut off. 13 gallon bags with ears, (6) per bag so the bags would seal, with food saver.. Buckets washed only have one pan to wash , not cool enough. So now you can stick a fork in me and I am too tired to yell.
Sandy I love the radio web I had that turned up loud and did not hear phone ,yea, Made the work go easier. Love the oldies 50ths and early 60ths. I even like those in the 40ths. Past the late 60ths you can keep them. Hate rap,that screaming crap, and I did not like the beatles or Michael Jackson.
Well the couch is calling me. Got to pick up DH after 1 a.m. So rest now.
Pat

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:18 am

Hello,

I have my table runner all cut out. I decided to do the quilt as you sew method.My strips are 2 1/2" so I can get a good view of me fruit fabric. I am so far behind in the hand quilting.

Jana...sorry about your table runner...bagging it is a good idea.

cindyg...Chinese you say....are you hungry yet?? I am sure the village will turn me down. They told me so. My house is not centered on the property. It is 9' 7" from the line. I need a clearance of 20' for the deck and I want a variance of 10' so the deck can go to the edge of the house. I hope by the time this is built I will be able to work the digital camera..I can show the photos.

Lori...happy day, home early! Sew Girl Sew....

Off to cook chicken....Kathy

macdor

Post by macdor » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:14 am

Afternoon all!!!!!!!!!!!

Have been busy, started the day with water change on one of the 55 gal fish tank. While that was going on walked out to the Koi pond and all of the pumps were not working. Did all that have been told, no luck. Walked back to check on the 55 gal and clean a filter. Something clicked and checked the circuit breaker. What do you know the water started flowing. The last I check all is well out in fish land. All fish are swimming not belly up. This is not my cup of tea, I hate to wish my life away. Tue can not come fast enough for me.

Did work on the place mats. Hope to finish them tomorrow, so I can take one more thing off the list.

FarmChick - I think we have the same MIL. Mine has passed away. I took care of her for the last year she was on this earth with Alzheimer's. I feel for you for I know what you are going threw. Not easy. I swear that I would never be that type of MIL, I'm closer to my XDIL than I am with my own children.

Way to many to make comments. Did read all and wish everyone a great evening. God bless.

DorothyM

Return to “Sew ins”