Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Good Morning ...Monday the 3rd of Aug

Daily discussions.
FarmChick

Re: Good Morning ...Monday the 3rd of Aug

Post by FarmChick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:55 am

Cathy-- I think that is a most generous offer to make quilts for the homeless shelter!!! You are right, they won't care if the fabrics aren't the best, they are better than what they had (nothing), and they should hold up to whatever they give them and probably infrequent washes. I don't mean that snobbish, either. There is a lot of work in them--sewing and quilting and binding. I used to make DDs clothes from W-M fabric because it was the best I could afford. Your quilts will be warm and most welcome, I'm sure. If you didn't want to do the homeless shelter, you could check any free clinics in your area or a battered women's shelter. There are a lot of families who go to the homeless shelters, too.

So glad to hear you got some rain!!!

I bet I could put some of my renter horror tales up with your and your dad's. I was just amazed the first few times I cleaned up the filth. About a year ago, we had one that was so bad, when I went in and looked at how they had literally trashed it(food thrown on the walls and maggots crawling in it--middle of summer and power was turned off for non-payment) and the fleas started jumping on me and biting as well, I just lost it and bawled my eyes out. Then I got mad and got busy. I can do lots when I get mad. It's a good motivator.

We checked on our renter. He is moving out today. And, he paid his rent--well, most of it. I haven't gotten to check out the inside yet. He said he was going to clean it up for us. I'm still hoping to be pleasantly surprised!

I love your saying about quilters & mending, Picasso and the garage!!! LOL!!! It doesn't pertain to quilters having DHs painting quilt blocks on the barns, however!!! I'm working on my DH but it's falling on deaf ears. Our old barn is close to 100 years old.

Q7-- the DGDs mending WAS good therapy for me. Kept my mind off the loss. They are sweet little girls.

While in town, we got to go to the Pizza Hut buffet. I also went to the little antique store.

Chrissy1--if you are here--Did not find a depression glass pink butter dish. I looked all over that place in all the nooks and crannies and there were lots of them. DH was doing a project at another rental, so I played while he worked. I found a little FireKing dish, an enameled cast iron (not antique) baking dish in a nice size for the 2 of us, and a pretty little Haviland oval plate with violets on it. Just the sweetest little plate. It would hold a couple of brownies or some chocolates. It might go in my sewing room to be pretty.

Now it's time to go get the laundry off the line. BBL

msdeets

Post by msdeets » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:43 am

Well I think I have finally settled in to the fact that I had to take out my quilt a total of 14 hours work. I did finally send it out to a lady in minnesota after speaking to her and looking at her work on line. She is going to try to quilt it and get it right out to me within a couple of days. What a disaster that was but it is all good now. I did send a letter to the girl that ruined my quilt to begin with. I did ask for a reimbursement. I shall see if she is going to be honest with me. If not God bless her.
Have a wonderful evening
Dolores

vivian1970

Post by vivian1970 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:01 pm

afternoon all, Not much going on here. Sewed all day long yesterday. Ended up putting together two quilt tops and a baby quilt that needs to be done on the 16th of the month. The other two tops will wait till this winter. So far I have 4 quilts to finish this winter but I am not done yet. I intend to have a couple of more.
Since I cooked all day Saturday we just had sandwiches yesterday. My kind of day.

Joann.. Sorry you are losing your neighbors. We just got new ones across the street from us and they seem to be pretty good ones. They are a young couple with 3 very well behaved kids. I know its a big worry these days. Good luck.

Well getting ready to water the tomato plants while I can still look down on them. Some are about 5 ft high. Don't remember plants getting this big before. HOpe that means lots of tomatos to can.

Have a great evening,

Vivian1970

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi everyone

Delores - I am glad that you were so quick in getting the top re-ready to be quilted. That was alot of work!!

Cathy - the shelters will be overwhelmed to receive such a donation - it will be put to use and that's what a quilt is for. I am a believer in using quilts.

Vivian - tall plants mean lots of blossoms that equals lots of tomatoes - which also means lots of work canning them!!!! But they sure are good!!

Farmchick - I was doing some calculating and if you live 2.5 miles from the farm and walk out there to let out the "girls" (aka chickens) that means both ways is five miles a day - you are surely getting your exercise-- and mine too!! My FIL called his chickens his "girls" and that has stuck around here.

Have a great day

Jana

quiltnewby05

Post by quiltnewby05 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi
For those of you who know MeQuilter-- Mary Ellen, she had her surgery today and everything went fine... whew

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:31 pm

Dolores-- I sincerely hope you will be pleased with the second quilting. So sorry you had to go through so much unsewing time. The first quilter will know you were not satisfied, and if she doesn't make it right with you, she will have to live with herself.

Jana-- yes, I usually get in 2.5 to 4 miles per day (most days). It was five, until the dog started following me and wanted to have fresh chicken for his breakfast! Now I drive half a mile, park and walk. I enjoy the fresh air (unless it is sauna-like), seeing the wildlife sometimes (except for dead skunk in the middle of the road this a.m.), and the solitude. Some mornings I'm rewarded with a georgous sunrise or a deer jumping across the road in front of me. When I worked, we had exercise classes available on campus. Since getting married and retiring, I gained 30 pounds. I decided that was more than enough. Since starting walking last spring, I haven't lost a pound. But, I'm eating like a hay hand of all the fresh produce. I shudder to think what if I wasn't walking????

Vivian-- enjoy your bounty when it comes! Do you can?

Joanne-- you were quick on your flags! Hope you get good neighbors soon. Wouldn't it be neat to have a quilter. Maybe we should all design your new neighbor and put in an order to the housing board.

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:37 pm

Quiltnewby thanks for letting us know all went well for Mary Ellen.

Mary

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Wonderful news about Mary Ellen!!! Thank you!

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:27 pm

'Afternoon, everyone...it's warm and a bit muggy out here. I am thinking hot dogs, baked beans, and a 'sallet' for dinner. DD#1 hates hot dogs (?!) so I told her I *might* make her a quesadilla or a bean and cheese burrito...but I also reminded her I am not running a restaurant here, you can't have only what you like all the time!

Tidied my sewing area this morning. Unearthed 2 pair of light tan trousers that I'd bought...when?!...that need hemming. Hope to get to those before too long (making alterations...YUCK).

We took Roxy, the new dog, to the vet for a well-dog check this afternoon. Saw a confident, outgoing, 50 lb. pit bull mix turn into quivering mush...poor baby! Whoo da thunk it? She was REALLY scared, even though the gals at the clinic were very sweet to her. No growling at all, but she was trembling and kept trying to dart out the door of the exam room every time someone came in! Couldn't get her temp; she spooked. (I would too, if someone tried to poke something into my rear end--LOL) We muzzled her as a precaution while a tech took some blood for a heartworm test. She was just miserable! Thank goodness she was pronounced very healthy and won't need to go back again for a long while; all her vaccines are up to date from her shelter stay.

Nice being able to check in with y'all...might be back later. Need to get off my kiester and go fix dinner.

MAWmum

Post by MAWmum » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Well I am half way through the second of the three quilt but I am thinking its going to be two today one tomorrow because I have to help swap out our mail box, I dug out the old one earlier today and as soon as it starts to cool down just a little DH and I are going to set the new one.

Thank the Lord that Mary Ellen came through her surgery okay!
Thanks for letting us know.

Farmchick I had to laugh about the dog and that you have to drive away so you can walk.

Carole I hate hotdogs too I can't blame your DD ;O)

Deloris glad you got the bad quilting out and someone to redo it I hope the other girl is honorable and refunds your money.

Carol my uncle went in before my mom and I could get to my grandmas apartment and just threw away boxes of stuff who knows what is gone.

Cathy I think the shelter is a great idea!

Joanne glad you could help with the flags I am sure they are wonderful.

Jana I need to go look at your quilt.

I hope I didn't leave anyone out :O)

HUGS! Carin

Return to “Sew ins”