Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Good Morning ...Monday the 3rd of Aug

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Re: Good Morning ...Monday the 3rd of Aug

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:01 am

Good Morning! Love the cute mice!

Everyone sounds busy! Farmchick, sorry you're facing a bad job today. My DS used to rent out her home as they were gone for two years. She says never again.

Jo, sorry to hear that you are losing your nice neighbors.

Lois, CONGRATS on your quilt! It's such a great feeling to finish a top!

My weekend was crammed to the very last minute. My family reunion (40 folks) was all day on Saturday. We set up tables, ,chairs, cleaned, cooked, shopped, etc all day on Friday, and Sunday was a post-reunion breakfast. Then more stopped by in the afternoon and by evening, we met up with yet some more at a local eatery for one last visit. What a success. But I'm exhausted.

But the best part of my reunion was the Austin Family Quilt that I made and door prized off. I have a beautiful neice in CA and it went to her family. Their 3-yr old little boy was recently diagnosed with a severe form of muscular dystrophy. They are struggling with the news and also with his already apparent disabilities. No family live near them. They needed this symbol of love, family, and support. Amazing what a quilt can do!

Today is Monday and that means I have a date with Mr. Washer and Mr. Clothesline. And I hate to keep them waiting. Blessings on everyone today. maryz

MAWmum

Post by MAWmum » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:50 am

Morning ladies! Everyone looks busy!

I have the house almost back from the cousin invasion of yesterday. I have to run to pick up my sons prescription this morning then I plan to sew bindings all day so I can say I finished 3 quilts in a day. Wish me luck lol!

I hope you all have a fantastic day!

HUGS and love to all. Carin

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:08 am

Oh, Mary, I had chills when you told who won your family quilt and how much it would mean to them. Your family quilt truly is stitched and bound with love to warm and comfort the family. What a blessing! I hope you get rested up. Seems like it always takes me more time than it used to to recuperate from having everyone in at Christmas or whenever. I love it--love the prep, etc., but it is so exhausting when it's over.

Lois, have we seen your twisted star top? I don't think I'm familiar with the pattern. We're all doing the happy dance with you! Such a feeling of accomplishment and fun to move on to the next project.

Grammie--I love the idea of the Senior Apartments! Unfortunately, this one has only stairs for access, and it takes a young body to run up and down them. When I'm cleaning and going up and down, I can feel my tush getting in shape. We've had luck renting to some disabled people in three of our six units. They have payees that pretty much guarantee we will be paid first, they are single and have caregivers, and they don't move in and out on a whim. We have a couple of houses, and a couple of duplexes--one has an upstairs, and the other is side-by-side.

Carol, we had to make peace with the fire. We had our crys, and then it was time to move on. We had each other and our health, and we are blessed! We didn't have our irreplaceable family antiques, photos, DH's uncle's original wildlife art (major $$$$$$)--nothing left but each other. In the end it is all just STUFF. I got rid of all my ugly fabric, all my UFOs--I just don't recommend that way to deal with them!!! I definitely miss my stuff, but I can't dwell on it or I get depressed. Just need to treasure the memories and push on. Like the Phoenix, we're rising! We had this little house we were fixing up for a rental that's just 2.5 mi from the farm, and we got it fixed and liveable while living 3 weeks in DS's basement bedroom. Since then we've fixed this house real cute and comfortable and I'm back to sewing. The house plans are getting finalized, and we'll start building back at the farm. We were insured, but about 25 cents on the dollar. Still, the money is nothing compared to what could have happened. I've said it before--we owe our lives to the smoke detector! We are truly blessed!!!

I love having the grands stay, but I do need to recuperate after! LOL! They do take lots of laundry, dishes, patience... And, we love them to pieces!!!

Time to hang out a load of laundry and put another in the washer...

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:11 am

Good morning my friends. I slept in this morning, now here having coffee with you.

Bev... Glad the move is over for your DD. Hope you have time for some fun stuff today, too.

Lois...doing the happy dance with you. Hope your day goes quickly at work.

Kathy...have a good day at work. I'm off today, and will be working on more of moms stuff.

Chriss...LOL, me too. I just get a break today. Hope your day goes well at work and you get to come home and have some fun. How is Jerry's job search coming along? Still praying fot the two of you.

Grammie...sorry about the headache. Hope you were able to enjoy your DGDs. Be safe on your trip.

Joanne...sorry your good neighbors are having to move.

Chicky...sooooooooooo sorry about your renters. About 7 yrs ago I lost my rental house because of renters like that. UGH!!! Hope it isn't as bad as it sounds. will be saying a prayer for you.

Cindyg...hope your day goes by quickly at work with no bumps.

Carol...good to see you. Have fun quilting after your yard work.

Maryz...your reunion sounds like it was a blast. Happy for you that everything went well. I would so like to have one, just to meet the family I have left that I don't know. Oh, how wonderful that your niece was the one that got the quilt door prize. I will add your niece and her son to my prayer journal.

Well I better get busy. I still have boxes to go through, and finish sorting through mom's stuff. I did get alot done yesterday. Hopefully I will be able to stay focused on it today and get alot more done. I was thumbing through one of mom's cookbooks and found a letter from a cousin.

BBL for a break and check in on everyone.

Mary

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:22 am

Well the best laid plans.......
Can't go anywhere...the dumb car starts, then stalls, starts, then stalls, yuck!
Oh well, I've started working on some small flags for my neighber across the street. He and his wife are riding in a motorcycle cavelcade for a fundraiser (Bikers for Babys) and he had two scarfs with the logo on them. He needs three small (6 x 10")flags for the antenae on the starting truck and ending truck and his motorcycle. He gave me his small American flag from his bike to use as a sample. Why do people just assume that you can sew just because you quilt?? I've said it before and I'll say it again....I AM NOT A SEAMSTRESS!! LOL!!!! But, I'm doing it, of course! lol! He said he wanted to pay me..I said no..good grief, who would charge to do something like that for a charity ride?!
BBL
Joanne:0)

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:30 am

Mary--thank you for your prayers! I could tell you tales that would make you spew your coffee and not from laughing! I don't want to ruin your morning. When I go in to clean, I almost wear a hazmat suit. It's amazing how you can check references and still get TRASHED! Sorry about your losing your house that way. I worry that we'll get a meth lab and it will get raided and the house condemned.

I love the old cookbooks. You can usually tell favorite recipes by the spatters on the page, and if she might have made notes. It's a chore, but it can be rewarding--as it was when you found the letter. A treasure, but not made of money!

I always clean the house the way I would want it if I moved in or my DD moved in. I keep hoping I'll get good renters who will take care of it. I'm always disappointed. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. LOL!

Carin--Wow!!! Finishing THREE quilts in one day!!! Now, that calls for a HAPPY, JUBILATION DANCE!!! Is that a record???

Grammie--have a fun, safe trip! Hope the weather is all you want it to be!

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:36 am

Oh, Joanne-- sorry for the car troubles. I know what you mean about "assuming you are a seamstress". LOL I'm now the resident "mender" of anything with a seam since marrying DH. I do it gladly, as it's a way to get closer to the family--threads that bind and all that... I've repaired #1DS's overalls, children's stuffed toys, blouses, pants, tights... Since I got the featherweight, i'm back in business again. LOL While living with them those 3 weeks, I did a PILE of mending by hand, including some overalls. I think the two little girls kind of had a contest to see what they could bring me to fix. LOL

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:01 am

rosebud...Farmchick just said something that jiggled my brain...when going through stuff always check in pockets of clothing for money...older people (and some young people, too!) will put money in the pockets of their dresses or coats...anything with a pocket. Also, in books...we found an envelope with over $3000 in one of my mom's encyclopedia! I've also found $20 bills in some old books that belonged to my DH's deceased wife. So check, check, check!!!

swtsarahjane

Post by swtsarahjane » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:26 am

Good after noon ladies. I wish i could just sit here and read everything all you ladies writing if i do i just get lost on reading it. I got the blind sewn on to get it hand blind the rest of it. I have to get the other quilt put the blind on too then i have two done this month. Maybe i should clean up my sewing room it been a miss for along time. Its warm out side today. You all have a happy sewing day. Sarah

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:43 am

Joanne - Your reminder reminded me of the story I heard on the news recently about a daughter purchasing a new mattress for her mother and throwing out the old one. The mother was shocked, there had been a million dollars in the old mattress. They searched and did not find it. I think it happened in Russia.

Farmchick - Your DGDs must have been trying to make you feel good by mending their clothes. How funny!

Carin - The happy dance finishing one quilt is long, but three quilts. You had better get help doing the dance! We will all be very excited for you!!

Return to “Sew ins”