Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday June 13th

Daily discussions.
Joannequilts

Re: Saturday June 13th

Post by Joannequilts » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:34 am

This is for Chriss and anyone else that is interested in the schoolhouse that DH is working on at the showgrounds. It is an article about it.

The following was written by OVAM Member Lee Schweickart. It will be included in a new book from the Brown County Historical Society entitled, “Brown County’s Education of the Past – A Legacy of Learning .” The book should be available later this year or early next.

A New One-Room School for Brown County

Seventy years after the last one-room school in Brown County closed its doors, another one is ready to open.

It isn’t really new, but the little brick school that was originally built in 1860 about one mile north of Williamsburg, is in a new location with a new job to do.

Alpine School, in the northwest corner of the intersection of SR 133 and Ashton Road in Clermont County, served local students and their families for over 60 years until it was closed sometime during the 1920s. It then survived another seven decades as a storage building, a tobacco barn, and possibly in other roles that have long since been forgotten.

The old schoolhouse was donated to the Ohio Valley Antique Machinery Association by the family of Bernard and Betty Hutchison of Williamsburg, Ohio. Volunteers carefully disassembled the building, moved it to the O.V.A.M. grounds near Georgetown in 2006, then rebuilt the structure over a period of more than two years.

An estimated 50 tons of foundation stones, 20,000 bricks, doors, shutters, and windows complete with the original frames and sash weights, were moved to the new site, along with several period artifacts that will be on display.

The reincarnated school is nearly finished and ready for a new career in education, but this time around it will be helping 21st century children and adults understand and appreciate their heritage.

The plan is to furnish the school just as it was in the 19th and early 20th century. The only major departure from the building’s original construction is the replacement of a side window with an entrance for the handicapped.

The school is the latest addition to a growing village which includes a cabin, a general store, and a blacksmith shop. Near the village an operating steam-powered sawmill, a threshing ground, block-making machinery, a shingle mill, and stationary engines demonstrate cutting-edge technology from the early 1900s. All are open and in operation during the annual O.V.A.M. reunion in August, along with several acres of other early machinery and activities.

Dedication of the school is scheduled for 2009.

My DH has organized the whole project (I thought he was nuts to attempt something so huge!).

Joanne:0)

macdor

Post by macdor » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:44 am

As all can see I have not made it from this chair.

WeSignificant - I will give Todd the web-sit.

Joannequilts - What a project your DH took on. MY X cousin bought a old school house and made it into a home. I'm going to try copy and paste your post so Todd can read about it. Tell DH what a great thing he has done, by preserving the School house.

DorothyM

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:17 am

morning...
T-hope Pepper Dawg has a great day I was up at 1:30 with Spike he "got lost" in the Livingroom I heard him bumping into things and when I got up to see what he was doing found him "stuck" under the table. It is hard when animal get old and can't see well.

Well everyone school is out and the last day for teachers was yesterday. I have 2 more days because Speech Pathologists are on a separate contract. So on Monday the school will be quiet except for teachers who are on campus on their own time (many of them) to clean up things or secure things from the summer school program, or set up their room if they are doing the 3 week summer school stint which starts next week.
I was exhausted, one of the principals at my husband's school had a B-Bq after work so when we got home at 7:30 I grabbed a book and promptly fell asleep waking up once to help Spike and then slept until 7:30 this morning!

Val--I love Zion!! They will have an incredible time. Please post a photo of your hikers. Here are mine from Yosemite

Well I need to go buy more backing for the quilt for the wedding I am 8 inches short after washing it and piecing it arggggggggggggggg
then adding the last row on the Round Robin Medallion that I have
then I am cleaning the sewingroom to set up the frame!!!!

back for a break later....

sorry for chatting so much

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:25 am

Good morning from sunny,warm, very exciting SW. Pa., HOME of the Stanley Cup Champs. PITTSBURGH PENGUINS.... I don't mean to gloat but it's been a long time coming....What an exciting game and honestly it could have gone either way...I'm a pacer and I thought for sure there would be a path worn in the carpet.... Happy in the "burg", today!

So far I've really accomplished nothing! I did get up and get dressed if that counts...But I am starting laundry ( a little late) and the carpets just need vacuumed and maybe then I'll play in the dirt...I stopped at a green house and they have everything on sale and it's almost as bad as fabric, I can't resist...I did come home with a couple of Hostas but I plan on going back.....

Joanne, What a project your DH is doing, a very worthy one. I admire people that get involved like that....

DorothyM, I did hear the launch was called off...I've only seen 1 live. We had just left on a cruise and they announced that everyone should go to the back of the ship and sure enough, we saw it blast off and go up right over the ship...Something I'll never forget....

Well, washer is calling, sheets need put on the line....
Enjoy the day, everyone.....

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:59 am

WeSig.. I am so jealous.. your grandson gets to have all the fun... how totally cool to have a grandpa take you on a trip like that... wow... and your grandson will be fine.. he has his grandpa with him...

Dorothy, can I pick some shows? seems like the ones I like get canceled...

Joanne, your husband is amazing.. what a huge job to tackle... and how exciting to see it to the finish... sounds like a really neat area where they are putting this school... I hope we see pictures when it's all done... you must be very proud of DH....

Carolyn, your girls look like kids in a candy factory... all happy.. and how exciting to get to set up the quilt frame... hope you love it.

Irishgram.. when everyone went to the back of the ship weren't you afraid it would sink tail end first????

well those sweet blocks aren't going to applique themselves... Comeon over Dorothy, get out of that chair... I will set up a second machine and you can help sew...lol

ttfn
Chriss

Psalm 91

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:30 am

Here's a photo of the old schoolhouse before it was dismantled (that is DH looking at it)

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:06 am

Hello taking an banana/tea break...

The sun is in and out with a very nice breeze. Perfect day for me ..the wind just blew the quilt off my table..LOL

Chriss or someone..what is sausage gravy?? I do know what biscuits are.

WS.. that trip sounds wonderful. All that beauty to see. On the other hand your time sounds well planned and full of fun.

Dorothy...If you end up at Joann's have fun with the 50% off coupons.

Joanne...the story and the school house is a wonderful piece of history. I remember a school trip to an historic school. The kids loved it. Even before yours was fixed up it looks charming with the wild flowers.

Carolyn..I am sure most of us have run out of fabric. Yesterday I ran out (8")of my last boarder. I have to piece together 3 scrapes. Did you find some??

Irishgram..Happy for you and your team. What sport is next for you??

Banana & tea are done...later...Kathy

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:14 am

Good morning -

WeSig - the Narrows hike is a great one - my kids did it with their Parents and grandparents 2 years ago. My littlest GS was his father's backpack , so he did it too at the age of 1!! It is a great hiking trip. Yosemite is my favorite - having lived near it all my life, but Yellowstone and Grand Tetons run a close second.
Jenny Lake is spectacular - so clear you can see the bottom at quite a deep range. I will wave to them as we pass on I-80 on the 26th!!LOL I have wanted to have a meal at the CIA too.

"T" - give furbaby puppy a big love for me and hope he feels better soon

Joanne - great project DH has worked on - we need to save more things from out past history!! Great job

Not much around here - DH is unloading a sim card from my camera so I can upload the pictures of the bibs I finished. Hopefully today - He can be " v - e - r - y s - l - o - w" !!!!!

One of my dream trips is to watch a shuttle launch and a landing - but DS1, who is a rocket scientist (for real) tells me that there are not too many more in the next couple of years!!

Have a great day - BBL
Jana

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:22 am

Laundry is done but those carpets haven't been vacuumed yet...I think every time I walk outside, DH starts telling me something and we end up sitting on the patio, watching the birds or just the grass grow.....

Joanne, loved the picture...We have an old school similiar to that one, not too far from me...I think they are also trying to redo....

Chris, It's a good thing my cruise was before the Titanic and that scene where the one end does go up, or I might have thought of that....Yikes!

Kathy, In this house, we have sports all year round...Now it will be baseball and the Pirates, which are having a terrible year...But our favorite is really football, Notre Dame and the Steelers to be exact...We've told everyone, don't plan anything on football weekends and that included, weddings, births and even deaths...And at all our kid's weddings, (5), in order to hire a band they had to know how to play the N.D. victory march...When the kids were growing up and in college, weekends were hectic...We had boys at Penn State, Pit, West Virginia and my DH from N.D. There were times when it wasn't safe in our living room.....I think my DH's dream would be after he passed to either be buried at N. D. or have his ashes sprinkled on the field.....Didn't mean to go on and on, I do get carried away, just like talking about the kids and grands.......

Enjoy the rest of the afternoon.....

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:35 am

love the photo of the schoolhouse it is wonderful. what a great project!!

Return to “Sew ins”