Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Daily discussions.
Roben

Re: Thursday, May 28, 2009

Post by Roben » Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 am

Happy Thursday!

Chriss, congrats for you and your son! It's good to see them go the way they should go; even tho we raise them for that it's still hard.

Joanne, I've had that happen to me - took a trip to the Dr. to get it open again, but it was so annoying that I finally just went. Hope yours gets better soon. I was so excited to read about your Pineapple Sage - most folks I know just give me a strange look when I talk about it! We have it every year - yum!!

Cathy, I'll take sunshine and 80's! We've been cool & rainly the last couple of days, and I'm ready for some sunshine!

Kathy, just remember putting the flowers in pots may not seem like a lot but it means everything to the flowers LOL!

Dorothy, I seem drawn to quilts with stars too. I picked up Stars Across America last year to do a Star block swap - but I couldn't choose just one, I love them all!

Vicky, can't wait to see the quilt! Sounds like you have a lot going on!

Mary, have a fun day and I hope work goes by fast!

I still haven't gone to get that Come Sit in My Garden fabric - I think about that 45 minute drive into town, and decide it can wait :-) I think living in the country is saving me money!! DH and I will make our rounds on Saturday, so I'm being good and making my list. Today I'm going to find my DVD for the Quilt Cut and figure out how to cut hexagons with it - I was organizing my external hard drive yesterday and came across a Moda pattern for the cutest pin cushion using hexagons (for their Petite•4s).

Have a great day everyone!
(edited because I can't keep up with everyone's postings!! LOL)

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Thu May 28, 2009 4:02 am

Roben, doesn't the Pineapple Sage smell awesome??!! Do you do anything with yours?? Several years ago, I made iced tea with it...it was really good!! Most people have never heard of it, you are right! The butterflys love it too.

Joanne:0)

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu May 28, 2009 4:15 am

Good Morning, everyone! Chriss, congrats on your son's graduation. I know how you feel - you love the adults that they are, but, I, too, miss my little people.

Joanne, if your ear doesn't clear up with H2O2, get some ear wax removal stuff at the pharmacy. Even the generic brands work well. Put in about 5 drops at night after you lay down. You might want to put a bit of cotton in your ear. Stay on your side for 5-10 minutes to let gravity do its thing. You may have to repeat for a few nights, but this really works well if the problem is wax build-up.

I get to sew today! But on what I haven't decided yet. I have too many options! I hope everyone's day is wonderful. It's my parents 75th wedding anniversary today so I'm going to be thinking of them as I go through the day. maryz

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu May 28, 2009 4:27 am

Will be warm and beautiful in the Rocky's today.

Cathy32078 - Plant some Moss Rose for me, too, OK?.....it's one of my favorites.

momof6quilts - sounds like you have been busy, look forward to seeing the photos.

Roben - I'm not sure living in the country saves money. Your comment reminded me of my Grandparents. Grandma would have her list ready & on Saturday Grandpa would drive her to town. If she forgot something, too bad, had to wait until next Saturday.

Joannequilts - Your right, I've never heard of Pineapple Sage. Guess I'll have to Google for some info.

I got most of the sorting done in the Motorhome yesterday. Also got the bed made and helped DH with a couple things. Today is a sewing day. Will figure out Mom's jacket & while that is stitching I will work on DGS quilt top.

Blessings to all,
Lyn

macdor

Post by macdor » Thu May 28, 2009 4:27 am

Joanne - yes I want to get into the Star swap. This will be my first swap and looking forward to it. I was having trouble with my ears about 10 years ago. My Dr. sent me to a Ear Dr. He had me take Zyrtec everyday. That keeps the tubs clear. I also had wax from the ear infection that he had to clean out. As a child I had a lot of trouble with my ears. I seem to out grow it. Then in my 50th's it came back. Have lost some hearing in my left ear from the childhood infections. One time I had a cold and got two ear infections, my ex had me put earhpones on to hear the TV. So take care our hearing is important. Hope you feel better soon.

DorothyM

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu May 28, 2009 4:38 am

Roben - Just looked at the posts from yesterday...it is a small world. If you ran across any Clark's or Ryan's in the area, they are probably my relatives.

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 am

Roben I just looked at the Come sit in my garden fabric on Ebay. Pretty! They have some fabric coordinates on there, too.
Thank you all for your suggestions and good wishes on my ear! It's amazing how something so minor can be so annoying! lol! Maryz I have some of the removal stuff and will try that tonight. I've had a cold for a little while, so maybe it's related.

I watched El's latest video on the Barn BOM. I love watching them! Only thing is, I wish I could hear the comments from the audience. She is so much fun to listen to!

I'm waiting for the FedEx truck and I have to sit at the computer..it is right by the front door. Since I can't hear very well, I need to be where I can see him when he gets here!

Joanne:0)

Roben

Post by Roben » Thu May 28, 2009 6:03 am

We use pineapple sage quite a bit - we add it to chicken (chicken salad, grilled chicken, sweet & sour chicken) to salads and to pork dishes. We really like the little flavor kick we get out of it. I just snip it with scissors or chop it up with other fresh herbs.

Lyn, we have something our grannies didn't - online shopping! I just got in 26 yards of Red Rooster that ended up costing me about $3.40 per yard. The bills all get paid online, I can get movies online - shoot, I figure as long as I have high speed internet I'm pretty well set :-) My mom is 75, and we even managed to get her hooked up and surfin' - what in the world would our grannies think of all this? LOL

Irishgram

Post by Irishgram » Thu May 28, 2009 6:05 am

Good morning from semi sunny, warm SW. Pa....At least I think it's still morning although I just finished having lunch....
I've been in the sewing room all morning trying to finish a quilt for a friend...Just 1 of the many that need finished...Last fall, my friend gave me a top that her mother had started many, many years ago and asked me if I could finish it for her...She winters in Florida and I told her, it would be a good winter project and I'd have it finished by the time she got back home....Well, she's leaving Florida on Sat. and the quilt isn't finished...But I'm going to give it my best shot!

I haven't heard from the doctor about my MRI so I'm thinking that's good news...I honestly think it's allergies....

DH is helping the elderly with bingo this afternoon and I was going to do some running but will wait until this weekend...DH just called and has the weekend free and wants to flower shop...She moved into a new home and has a nice big bank at the end of her yard and would like to fill it with perennials and I just love to help her spend her money....

Joanne, hope you get some relief soon...I also had problems when I was very young and remember my Dad blowing pipe smoke in my ear????? It sure made it feel better but would sure be frowned upon today....

Chris, congratulation on raising that son of your's. You must be very proud....It's always great to hear about "kids" doing something good...Too much is said about the bad ones...

I do have some yard work I could be doing but I think the quilt is 1st priority....

Enjoy the rest of the day, everyone

xteacher

Post by xteacher » Thu May 28, 2009 6:14 am

Joanne, this is a little controversial in some places, but if you believe in homeopathic remedies.... A few years ago I discovered ear candles. Some people say they work and some claim they don't. My family has all been using them for about 6 years now. Our thought is, if it makes it feel better to the one suffering, it doesn't matter if it's really doing anything or if it's mental.

The first time I did them for my fil at the nursing home, I was afraid they would not approve so we sort of sneaked around to do it. A couple of weeks ago, he called saying his ear was hurting (it's the one he wears his hearing aide in). I told him to ask if they had something. Well, they didn't, but told him I could come "smoke out" his ears. And I did. The nurse that day believes they work. The only problem we had was trying to keep the smoke smell from going down the hall and scaring every one. I always take two candles, one for each ear, but since it was hurting him so badly, I used them both on that one ear. I got a huge amount of wax out of his ear and he hasn't complained with it hurting one time since then.

When I was a child and had ear aches, my dad would blow smoke from his cigarettes in my ear. The heat soothed it. So, if that's all that happens with the candle, it's worth it.

You can get them at most health food stores.

Return to “Sew ins”