Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

October is almost over Where did it go

Daily discussions.
cindyg

Re: October is almost over Where did it go

Post by cindyg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 am

Do y'all have any idea what questions to ask while test driving mid-arm quilting machines? See my post in the Machine Quilting thread. I'd appreciate any help. If we don't know much about the machines we don't know what to ask. Does that make sense? BOING BOING BOING

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:38 am

Good morning everyone.

Msdeets.....Enjoy your cruise. Let us know when you return and share what a wonderful time you had.

IowaGal.....Sorry you are having trouble sleeping. At least you could be creative. When I get like that, I can't stay focused long enough to get anything done LOL.

Luv_2.....It's laundry and house cleaning for me today as well. I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out what medical insurance to enroll in. However I did get another 14 of those 'footballs' sewn together.

Kenderosa.....Good luck with your mammy and ultra sound.

grammie.....That is such a good idea having the quilt stored in a matching pillow case.

Cindyg.....I love your enthusiasm.....It gives me a jumpstart every morning.....Hope I'll be able to save enough money to take vacation during Houston Quilt Festival next year. It would be great to meet you in person.

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:54 am

Ok...I got caught up on the morning news....off to clean and sew for a bit.

BBL

Cathy32078

Post by Cathy32078 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:17 am

Good Morning ladies. I hope you are all having a great day so far. I have really really done a number on my shoulders. Dr has me on some heavy duty pain meds and muscle relaxers. Stronger than I was on. I have to apply heat which feels good. I feel a bit loopy so no driving today. Nor sewing.

I wish ever one of you could start stashing coins/change, whatever & plan your vacation next year and go to the Houston Quilt Show. It is so HUGE it will just blow you away & knock your socks off. I really think it takes 2 full days to just get through the Vendors real thoroughly. And even then, I missed stuff. And ye gads, it is all under 1 roof! Then you have to go to the other end of the bldg to see the Quilts. It is really something to see. I met people at our Hotel last year from Britain that came just for the Show. And buses run free ever 20 to 30 minutes from the Convention Center to the Hotel's downtown and back, all day long. So once we arrive at the Hotel there is really no need to ever take our vehicle anywhere. I had as much fun riding those buses joking with the drivers & the people as I did at the Hotel.LOL Met some really fun folks! But I'm like my Dad, I'll talk to a fence post. ROFLOL

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 am

Cathy is right about seeing everything at the quilt show - that's why I'm going Friday, Saturday and Sunday and, even then, I won't see everything. I am VERY fortunate that I live just outside of Houston because this quilt show is the largest one in the world, so I've been told. I would love it if everyone could come here next year. Like Cathy said, everything is under one AIR CONDITIONED roof. There are quilt shop tours that go on, too, and that, of course, takes you away from the convention center. And there is a gazillion classes that go on every day, too, if you want to take a class. The quilt display is just spectacular. And then there's the vendors, y'all just wouldn't believe the number of vendors - aisle after aisle after aisle. Anyway, IMHO anyone who quilts should come to Houston at least once in their life to attend the Houston Int'l. Quilt Festival. This ad is paid for by.........LOL Just kidding. I have absolutely no affiliation with Quilts, Inc. and nobody pays me to promote the show. It's just wonderful and that's why I'm so excited and bouncing off the walls BOING BOING BOING!

Sandy5689

Post by Sandy5689 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:08 am

Good grief....do you people never sleep!!!! I am one of those people that close their eyes and off I go to dreamland. For me if it takes ten minutes for me to go to sleep that is insomnia. I feel bad for you ladies.

I would love to go to the Houston or Pudacha quilt show but I would have to talk someone into going with me and my daughter thinks quilting is boring (unless I am making something for her)

I recovered the cushions on a rocking chair and matching stool yesterday. I put velcro at the bottom so the covers can be taken off and washed. I can't imagine why a rocker cushions in a nursery would need to be cleaned!?!?!? Made a couple of really cute pillows to go with the rocker. Today I am going to make an organizer that goes over the arm of the rocker, holds a bottle, books etc

Msdeets..... Have a great time and share what a wonderful adventure you had. Take lots of pictures

grammiequilts Matching pillowcases is a great idea I am going to start doing that

cindyg I have seen crocks lined with furry material I am going to get me a pair, great for winter

kenderosa Are you taking some lead weights to tie on Cindyg Wouldn't want her to BOING into the displays......

Cathy32078 I also can talk to anyone anywhere. I embarassed my daughter her whole life. I can even ask total strangers if I can hold their baby. I love babies. You would be surprised how many say yes.

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:10 am

Sandy5689 maybe you can link upwith Susi and come to the International quilt show in Long Beach next summer :) We had a blast this year and I am sure susi would love to spend time with her lovely DIL Alina!

oh pillowcases...good idea.... there is a pattern posted on the forum somewhere. I will go find it and be right back

sewcarolyn

Post by sewcarolyn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:13 am

here are the instructions. I copied from a post in Projects from the Heart
Here are the directions (copied from a post that QIAD-Linda made):

Sleepy Time Pillowcase

Fabric Requirements
3/4 yard Main Fabric
1/4 yard Border Band
2" Accent Strip

Cutting
Main Fabric: Pillowcase body: 27" x 41" (Trim Selvage ends only)
Border Band: 9" x 41"
Accent Band: 2" x 41"

Construction
Sew the seams with your serger if you have one, otherwise use a French Seam. To make a French Seam, place fabrics wrong sides together and sew a 1/8” seam. Turn and press on seam with right sides together, then sew a 3/8” seam. This will encase the raw edge and give a nice finish to the inside of the case.

Press accent strip in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. Pin the folded strip to the right side of body along one 41” side, raw edges matching and sew through all layers 1/4” from edge. If your main fabric is directional, please consider which end is “up!”
Sew the side seam with serger or French Seam. Sew the bottom with serger or French Seam.
Sew the short sides of the ban right sides together with a 1/4” seam, forming a circle.
Pin the right side of the band to the wrong side of the case and sew with a 1/4” seam.
Turn under raw edge 1/2” and press. Turn to right side of case and align folded edge over top of previous stitching. Top stitch in place.

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:46 am

Hi everyone Im back and I did just that goffed off alot today but I guess they expected that we had our health fair and that took alot of time I got a freeeeeeee flue shot which is good and got alot of free stuff after that I went to the gym and then home put the dishwasher on and put a pot of stew going and here I am back on the pewter I just recived my quilters heritege broucher for the quilt show in Lancaster and they have a free motion quilting class so I will be takeing that one they have the magic pillowcase directions on this sight where you get free pattern downloads well I have to run try to start cutting some of my quilt out .

will be back later.

fabricgirl

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:52 am

Thanks Carolyn for finding the pattern that is the one I have.....I am home and cleaned up put groceries away....gonna meet some friends I used to work with this evening and then watch the Red Wings (if you haven't guessed I love hockey.) Actually my sis and I were talking about saving our money for a trip to Houston some year....

All of you lucky gals going to the show have a great time and hug EL for those of us who can't be there.

I think the insomnia might be related to anxiety over the new pump and that is a lot of stress....I could sleep standing up in a crowded room and fall asleep about 3 minutes after I hit the bed.

See ya all later...show goers drive carefully...NO BOINGING CARS

Return to “Sew ins”