Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

October 23

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Re: October 23

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:03 am

Cindy.lol I am a Christmas" nut" I have to have my gifts done because I have to start decorating the house....the motto here is "no room without a Christmas". My DH swears if he takes a nap between Thanksgiving and Christmas he will wake up with lights strung up on him.(And he is right about that) I used to put up 7 trees but after we bought this house I didn't have a basement or a family room so I gave 2 large trees to a womens shelter and a single mom at work. I now do one huge 9ft for the living room and some small trees in the other rooms. I will decorate the outside some if I can get out there and its not too cold. Dh will (kicking and screaming) help with that.

moma_lolaham

Post by moma_lolaham » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:22 am

I'm off to the church to print our bulletin. Have my grandson with me today, so I probably won't get much sewing done later. But that's o.k. He's my pride and joy. Suzette, I'm sorry for the loss in your family. We'll keep them in our prayers.
Lawanna

I also watched El's show yesterday. It comes on twice--1:30 p.m. and again at 11:30 p.m. I watched it both times. I too like the history that she gives about quilts.

Sandy5689

Post by Sandy5689 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:54 am

Good morning

suzette so sorry for your loss, was it unexpected?

cindyg I have a shih tzu that I dearly love aren't they great dogs?? I have never tried to groom him myself because I am nervous to do his face. We used to have a cocker spaniel and I always did his haircuts but didn't have to do his face.

How would you move your needle by one thread and why would you want to???

My daughter is coming over today and we are going out to breakfast and then off to get pedicures. Mom's toe nails are really thick and since she has diabetes I don't want to mess with them. Much easier this way LOL
Then my DD will load me up with sewing projects..."Mom, would you help me with...." That is daughter code for "Mom do this for me!!!" And I fall into every time. A lot of the sewing is for the nursey so that next time we get a call everything is ready.

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:03 am

Thanks everyone for your wishes about my brother in-law. He had both Lupus and something called Sarcodious. It starts in your lungs and leaves scar tissue and it goes through the body. He's been sick for a long time. It seemed to go in remission and each time it would come back it was worse. he will always have a special place in my heart cause he's how I met my husband. Again thanks so much for the wishes. What a great group of people we are.
Suzette58
Suzette

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:25 am

Grammiequilts - I am a Christmas nut, too, but you seem to be a walnut about it and I'm just an acorn - LOL. I don't have a tree in every room - just a 9' in the family room and a table top one in DH's study. Every Thanksgiving evening or that Friday our friends come over and help me decorate my mantle. I like it gaudy and they do a really good job. Then they usually help with the tree, too. They are very talented that way. DH moans and groans about getting all that stuff out of the attic because we are getting old and decrepit. But he does it anyway and is proud of his outside decorations once he gets them up.
Here's a picture of my gaudy mantle.

MoCrafter

Post by MoCrafter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 am

Good morning,

It finally stopped raining , but is still cloudy. I hope we are done with rain for a while, but we still have chances for a day or so more.

I finished hand quilting a table runner last night. Now I just need to put binding on it. I will drag another small quilting project out for in front of the tv.

I plugged in the heater this morning and it threw the breaker. Now dh can't get the breaker to work. (Sigh) Always something wrong in this house. Of course that is the breaker that runs the computer, my iron, etc. Oh well. I have a heavy duty extension cord run to the computer. I will just have to move my iron. I have plugged the heater in to this circuit lots of times, but something didn't work right this morning. Dh said it will have to wait till the weekend, so he has more time to look at it. (Another sigh)

Suzette, sorry about the loss of your BIL.

Everyone have a good day.
Winona

beccasmom

Post by beccasmom » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:02 am

I am at work and ready to get home to work more on my king size quilt. I got alot done on it yesterday since I stayed home from work because of having vertigo. Joann's has thread on sale and I am really considering going to stock up on some white and off white thread since that is what I mostly use. It is a cold day here in kentucky so I may just go home and get my jammies home. I had to turn my heat on the other night and that made me very sad. The summer days are done for now and here come the big electric bills for a few months.

I used to get El's shows on PBS until a couple of weeks ago. It still comes up on the schedule but another quilting show comes on instead. What a bummer. I really miss them.

Brenda

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:18 am

Oh your mantle isn't gawdy it's beautiful....I do a christmas village on mine and that goes up thanksgiving weekend too. That's the" on your mark, get set,...go decorating marathon. I was looking for a photo of my mantle from last year but I can't find it....but its Dickens village. I love your colors....can't wait for this year being retired will make it so much more fun.XXXOOOJudi

Found mine

Tulpje

Post by Tulpje » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:36 am

*Hugs*

Suzette, my thoughts and prayers are winging their way to you as I type this. That quilt will be such a thoughtfull blessing for your sister-in-law.

I love to read all the different weather status posted on here. On-line all of you are so close to me through this window (monitor) out into the world.

85 degrees here right now at 11:30. Humidity is 9%

I think I should go to the beach tomorrow to stay cooler and moist and hydrated. POOR gals that live IN-land.

BBL

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:41 am

Grammie, I have a Dickens Village, too, and the buildings have lights in them but now I have nowhere to set it up since we got rid of the upright piano and got a mini-grand. Hmmmmmm I wonder if I could possibly get my village on the mantle AND have the gaudy stuff kind of behind it. I could get my DH to fix a bigger shelf on top of the mantle just for Christmas and I could load that puppy down. What do you think?

Return to “Sew ins”