Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

October 23

Daily discussions.
kho

October 23

Post by kho » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:05 am

I stayed up and watched El last night. I learned a couple of neat things. One on my sewing machine. just move the needle over 1 thread. Do the dvd's have more info then is in the books?? I may have to rewrite my Christmas list. I hope to sew today. I started yesterday but ended up wrangling turkeys. I'll post that story in chit chat. Happy sewing everyone. Sandy,not sleeping thinking about sewing.

suzette58

Re: October 23

Post by suzette58 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:18 am

Good morning. I watched Elenor's show this morning. Thank goodness for TIVO. I love how she does some history on the blocks then shows how to put them together. Hopefully after work I will finish my sister in-law's quilt. her husband passed away early yesterday morning. So, I hope to take it with me. Have a good day everyone.
Suzette58
Suzette

Evie

Post by Evie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am

Good morning!

Suzette, I'm so sorry for your loss. I think the quilt is just what your sil needs right now. And a big hug.

DH drove his truck today. He didn't check the weather report. No rain until tonight. He's going to be upset that he didn't ride his bike today. He drove his truck yesterday because it was suppose to rain and it didn't until last night. He loves riding that bike. He's safe about it. He wears good protective gear that is also highly visible. Most accidents happen because people don't see the bikers. He even bought a louder horn. I tried to talk him into an ooga horn. :^)

Got to go to the post office today. Also need to wash and iron the skull fabric for DH's vest for Halloween. Maybe even get it cut out today.

It's neat to watch those DVD's over and over when you are having a problem. Even though the instructions are really good in El's books.

I have to move my needle over on my Babylock to get a 1/4" seam. I like Amie's method of using a 3 X 5 card. Those lines are 1/4" apart and I can set my presser foot down with the right side aligned with a line and put the needle down and see where it hits on the card. I also like using the magnetic seam guide rather than a 1/4" foot with guide. On those presser feet, you can't move the needle very far because the hole is too small.

I need to get up and move around, the dog has gone to sleep on top of my foot and now my foot's asleep!

mequilter9158

Post by mequilter9158 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:22 am

Good morning!! Just checking in before I head to work today, have to drop the dog off for grooming & she'll probably be 5 lbs lighter when she's all done. I might get some blocks cut out and ready to sew tonight. Hope everyone has a good day.

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:39 am

I will finsih the last Christmas gift quilt I still have 9 grandkids to buy for, But they all have teenage lists cash cash cash cash....2 babies my dd has already given me the LIST. so I hope to be done by Thanksgiving. But I will have to get 5 windows done today Need to get the storm windows in

Suzette sorry about the death in your family.:(

CaroleJ

Post by CaroleJ » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:41 am

I think I am stuck making flapper outfits for my girls today :-(
I'll paw through my stash and see what we come up with. I guess we could make a run to Joann's if we have to...<oh the burden!>

I have the grandma quilt top all done, just need to figure out what I am going to put on the back, and I will tie it for the sake of getting it done quickly. I'm pretty sure my boss said mommy is 38 weeks this week, so baby could come any time.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:31 am

Suzette, I'm sorry for the loss of your BIL. Your quilt will be a comfort to your SIL.

Evie, my 1/4" foot with the guide on the side is right on with the 1/4". That foot also has a small hole on the left which is at 3/8" when I move my needle over. El has said to use a 3/8" seam when putting on binding in some of her patterns. I love my 1/4" foot. I hate the one for my RV sewing machine but that's a whole nother story.

Me - we (DH really) groom our dogs and I swear we get 3 lbs. of hair off the Shih-Tzu. We keep her hair cut short.

Grammiequilts - you'll be done with your Christmas shopping by Thanksgiving - dang, woman. You make me feel ashamed. I suppose they are all wrapped and under the tree by Thanksgiving night.

CaroleJ - good luck with the flapper outfits. I bet they will be darling. Post a photo, OK?

I'm at work and can't wait to get home and fix a fast supper and get in my sewing studio. I got some breast cancer blocks done last night so tonight I have to do some straightening up of my room - it's driving me crazy!

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:38 am

Good Morning Everyone!

Man you guys get up early!!!

I see the sun peeking out here between lots of clouds! It rained/drizzled here all day yesterday and it would be GREAT to see the sun today!

DD is home, well she's in Minneapolis anyway, I haven't seen her yet cuz she had to go visit friends first!!! I must be "chopped liver"!! I'm expecting her shortly tho, I hope! I took a day off work to spend with her, the little brat!! LOL

Have an appointment with my banker this morning to see if I can beg, borrow or steel some money to keep paying the bills on my empty building. Then DD and I are going to kick butt and clean up her space downstairs for when she moves home next month. Probably won't get much sewing done. Tho the other night I did get the tops of about 7 Christmas stockings done for co-workers. I don't think I'm going to line them as they are just for decorations, that should save me some time. Two of the gals I work with are Jewish and they don't celebrate Christmas--so their stockings will be blue instead of the tradition red/green. But I thought they should have one anyway!

Well, I'm off for more coffee! Will check in later to report progress in the cleaning! LOL.. I'm sure we'll have to sneak a nap in there somewhere too!

Have a great one!
Mary

quiltermom91

Post by quiltermom91 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:31 am

I am at work today, but did get to sew last night. Finished all the blocks for my YBR Quilt, now just have to sew them together. I can't believe how fast they went together. I'm excited to see how it looks.

Wish I could find El's show here somewhere. It used to be on our local PBS Channel, but I don't see it anywhere anymore. I do watch her videos if I have time.

Suzette - sorry for your loss.

Mary, sounds like you have your work cut out for you. It will be fun working with your DD though. I can't believe she didn't come see you before friends, though. Oh well, I am seeing where I stand with my DD too. They know we are always there when they need us though.

I never heard that idea about the index cards. I have a 1/4 inch foot, but would like to check and see how accurate it is. I am definitely going to try that.

We aren't real busy here at work so I am kinda bored. I'll be back later to check in.

Hope everyone is having a great day whatever they are doing.

Laura

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:02 am

Good morning everyone. My weekend is over and back to work today. Hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed day. I may hop back on just before I leave if time permits.

Return to “Sew ins”