Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday April 25,2024

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Thursday April 25,2024

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 am

Good morning

Today we are starting at 43⁰ and will go up to about 53.
So yes it's quite chilly out.
I already have my last load of laundry going.
I know 1 thing for sure my sewing room needs a good cleaning working with black fabric makes a mess so before I do any thing else in here I'm just going to clean it all out.

So this will be my day.
I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Re: Thursday April 25,2024

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:25 am

Good morning Lois good to see you...I hear you about working with certain color fabrics makes bigger messes...Been working with reds and greens since January and you can tell when I dust.
Today I need to go to the infusion center for my injection..so a good part of my morning is gone...We dropped to 27 last night and I dont even want to look at my tulips///Im sure they are all frost bit..some perrenials dont mind the cold but flowwers do.funny thing is we will be in the high 70s by the weeknd. Maybe even 80///
It is a busy weekend for us...something going on every day,,,all day. the camper will leave sunday and although I will miss it,,I am ready for a new adventure,,,we havent found anything to replace it and at this stage of the game Im not sure we will.
Well I need coffee and get a few things done...Chili in the slow cooker and get my self out the door...Have a wonderful day. My knee doesnt seem to be any better so Im sure the next step in looming,,,I will message my Dr on Monday, to see what he says,,,the next step in to drain the cyst and try a steroid injection....( I am needle phobic) was hoping I wouldnt need it,,but.....
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:19 am

Good morning to all sunny but nippy at 42 but we will reach 71 today I’m going to Church to work in Garden this morning
Then May get plants in smal plot here I have in Community Garden
Yesterday I had enough cookies to share with 3 neighbors so that was good Snickerdoodles
Lois Black does make a mess like some other fabric
Judi I used Knetics for my knee and it worked great But it’s needles
Must run to dress Have a blessed day everyone Becca

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:46 am

Good rainy morning. We're 50* here and only going to 53* for a high. This will be with us for a week. Ugh. Will make walking a challenge, balancing a leash, an umbrella, and probably a little black bag halfway through the walk.

JUDI - I hope your flowers survive. I think daffodils are hardier than tulips. Impatients die if you just give them a frosty glare! I really hope it doesn't come to needles for your knee. And I hear you on red/green fabrics. I sewed with them for a month. It was a sweet break to make my little Posies quilt but now that that's done, I'm back to Christmas again for two more quilts.

BECCA - Yum! Snickerdoodles! A bit labor intensive, rolling in balls and then into cinnamon and sugar, but oh so worth it! You help maintain the gardens at your church? That's really nice of you. And you also have a plot at the community garden where you live? I guess I didn't realize, or I fogot, they had a community garden. That's great! What will you be growing? Veggies? Flowers?

LOIS - oh, black is so not like other fabrics. A mess-maker. But I love it with brights anyway. And look at you - already done with laundry! I'll be checking out your photo as soon as I finish this post. What is your next project going to be?

IRISH - I think Mr. Foxtrot could rival your Baby Girl in the spoiled cat department. He is 18# of jello, laying on his back, paws in the air, sleeping every morning right next to me while I type out my post. And on my pillow every night. Last night we were playing cards and Bill got up for something and Foxy jumped into his chair. So Bill went and got a hard wooden folding chair and sat at the end of the table for a hand until Foxy decided to move. Rule #1 in this house is don't disturb the cat. It was in our marriage vows. Cards and dinner sound good to me! Sometimes I think I want to trade sisters with you. Did you read yesterday where my sister's nickname is Badger? Not without reason. And she's not even the mean sister!!

CHRISS - glad the yard work is almost behind you. It does make for good sleeping, but I was getting tired, reading of all that work you were doing! However, smart to get the outside stuff done before the heat hits. Costco does have a good buy on hamburger. We usually buy ground sirloin at the regular store but it's now up to $10/lb. Ridiculous! So I wait until they put it in the "CLEARANCE! EAT BY YESTERDAY" case. I know about your kind of rocks. We've had a few here - they just peek out of the ground, like an iceburg, but we had several that took a John Deere 550 bulldozer to dig out. One of our rocks is 4x4x4-ish feet. It's one of many we have around the place. Maybe you could go around and spray them with red paint so you can easily spot them when mowing. That's nice of your DBIL to tell you to "keep the change". I think a new sewing machine is a great way to use that cash. You might consider reading user comments on-line about any new machine you are considering before you make a buy. It's good to hear what other users have to say, good or bad. And do you know how your DBIL is doing?

SHARONA - yay for getting to the goal line of your quilt! Double yay for using Seattle Seahawk fabric! And no worries if you don't have enough. Use the 'Hawk fabric down the middle, and fill in at the sides with Navy blue on one side and lime green on the other. Or even just any football themed fabric. Guarantee your 'fan' will love it!

VAL - I think I'll give the May lotto block a whirl today. Thanks for clarifying the size of the pattern. I got it now!

JANA - what a purrfect way to celebrate Mother's Day! Your kids are golden. I don't think I've ever seen yellow petunias before. I love petunias and used to have lots of them but they need deadheading almost every day to keep them blooming. I'm not good at doing anything that often - except sewing.

MARY Q - I've thought about water aerobics, too. And dislike the idea of the swimsuit. Though when you think about who all is in the class - everyone will be in the same swimsuit-wearing boat! The "Y" is only 3 miles from us and I could go there for free and join Doyle and Susie in their class, as they will soon be going back to it after their surgeries. But I don't. But I do think about it! That buy nothing site is a great idea but I wouldn't like the idea of having strangers to my house to pick up things. Whenever we sell/buy/give away anything we meet the people in the parking lot of our police headquarters. Glad you found the purrfect backing for your quilt!

LORI - you are on a quilter's dream vacation!

TINA - I think it's time for me to clean out our master bath cabinets and drawers, too. It's a big job. The squirrels have eaten most all my tulip bulbs. They love them. But daffodil bulbs are poisonous so they leave them alone. But after a few years, my daffs quit blooming anyway. I should dig them up and divide them, I guess. Along with my iris.

Yesterday I got all the background pieces cut out of another Scaredy Cat and got one cat block finished. The house is in good order, the laundry isn't "ripe" yet, supper will be heat'n'eat leftover chili, and it's raining outside. All this means no chores! I think we're going to call it a sew day! Unless we sneak in a Costco visit, which might happen. We are out of milk, bread, fresh fruits, veggies, and a few spices. Our crockpot chili last night was delicious and the cornbread fluffy and sweet. Doyle and Susie loved an invitation to get out of the house. We stayed downstairs in the family room so neither of them had to negotiate the stairs in our split level house. We set up a table to play cards (Phase 10) and eat. It was a nice, 3 hr evening. Bill has his last post-op appt with the eye doc this morning, then it's just a matter of waiting a month for his vision to finally settle down to get an Rx for new glasses. In the meantime, he is quilting my tops! He has my 2nd SCC on the frame now, quilting in in a swirling snowflake pattern. When I finish the last two SCC's, I think I'll be starting Elizabeth Hartman's Butterflies. I had this one kitted up for Texas sewing last winter, but then got distracted by a little cutie down there and didn't get much sewing done. It's for Sammy, Autumn's mentoree, who will be 19 on her next birthday.

That's all I got for now. I hope it's an open window day for everyone! Sadly, it's not for us, but you go ahead and enjoy the nice weather if you've got it.

mary z
>^+^<

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:10 am

Good morning everyone 🌞
This is a swoosh through. Wind will start in awhile and we're working out at the pond so I need to get going before the wind gets up.
Valerie, thanks for the measurements.
Irish, I'm pretty sure all badgers are mean.
Chriss, yay for being done on yardwork for awhile. I think your plan for cleaning the garage is perfect.
Judi, I hope it doesn't come down to needles, I have that phobia too.
Maryz, hmmmmm I'll have to look up the butterfly quilt again I can't remember what it looks like.
Becca, you must have a green thumb.
Lois, black sure does make a mess, I have to clean my machine really extra good when I use it.
Not sure about supper yet.
You all have a great day!
Prayers for those in need πŸ™πŸ™
Tina

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:40 am

Good morning Girls

Definitely going to open up windows today!! It may hit 70*!!!!

Lois... Your beautiful quilt bright on black got me thinking about doing something similar. When I was at Hobby Lobby the other day, I grabbed some black Kona just in case----Just in Case I get a few other things finished. :lol: :lol:

Judi.... Are you thinking about getting another camper? How about one of those one that are just over grown Vans? My plan when I retired was to buy something like that, drive from here to Alaska, spend summers there and then drive home. Never quite worked out that way. With a little kind of mini-camper you'd have a comfy ride/drive to Florida when you go every year. You might be able to even set up a little sewing machine in it! :lol: :lol:

Maryz... Usually I feel pretty safe having people pick up stuff at my house. A Lot of times I'll just leave a package on my porch. But I know the next town over, Monticello, the PD there encourages people to meet in their parking lot. With all those quilts you are working on, it sounds like you will have enough to keep Bill busy for a while!

Tina.... Don't let the wind blow you away!! Put some rocks in your pockets!

Chriss... How nice of the BIL to let you "keep the Change" Hope you can find the perfect sewing machine. If you were closer I'd give you one of the extra 5 I have in my house. I have 2 Brother machines that KC left behind! Good idea to read all the reviews before you buy one. Where your Singer is at the repair shop... do they sell new machines? I have Janome that I bought in 2018 that I just love. But everybody has their favorites.

Becca.... You enjoy working in the garden? How nice that there is a community place you can go to play in the dirt! I just saw one here in my area the other day. It's kind of neat that folks have a place to go plant some veggies and flowers.

Yesterday I finally put together a quilt that has been in a UFO box for probably about 4 years. I hate to rush into anything. And got my March Lotto winnings kind of put together, but I ran out of background fabric, so I just might have to go to Joann tomorrow and see if I can find the same stuff--that's where it came from! But so far it looks pretty cool laid out on my living room floor!

For now I'm going to get in the shower. We have our semi-annual Association meeting tonite and since I'm the secretary I have to get some things lined up. But then I'll be in the sewing room!

Have a super day everyone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:00 am

Good morning!

Well, in the middle of the, Mr. Grumpy decided he was too hot and had to look at his phone to see what the temperature was, so that meant turning on lights, grumbling and opening windows, all of which woke me up. But lucky for me, I can fall asleep again. Now normally since his heart surgery, he freezing cold and roasting all of us in the house with the heater temperature. So swings the pendulum.

Yesterday was not a good one. I was finishing the last rows of quilting on the quilt for my nephew. Ran out of bobbin thread. The bobbins are the large, size M, so I have a special bobbin winder for them. So I turned to fill a bobbin or two. Proceeded to get the thread off kilter and gobbed where it shouldn't and jammed that area, causing a little thread tension metal piece to snap off! So I immediately started searching for a replacement part. No one carries such, as Handi Quilter doesn't sell parts for the bobbin winder. Uggggh! I was looking at having to replace the whole unit - to the tune of nearly $400! Double uggh! But I persisted and did find the part in Florida for $10 and it's ordered, but won't be here in time before my ne is. So I'll mail the quilt after I get it finished. I even called Daniel to see if he can weld it together. The shank of where he needs to weld is less than a 1/16th of a inch. He could weld it, but all the clamps etc are way to big. I'm going to MacGyver a duct tape try this morning as a last ditch effort. Duct tape don't fail me now!

So after breakfast, I'll be in the Batt Cave, trying, crying and praying!

Hugs,
Jana

Mr Grumpy is saying duct tape won't work, but he has some small vise grip pliers and will help me try with those.

womster

Post by womster » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:26 am

Good morning!

Lois – brrr that is cold. It will feel so good to have your sewing room shiny and clean.

Judi – happy infusion day. That darn knee – I sure wish it would get to feeling better. Yuck to needles. My youngest sister has to get shots in her eyes monthly. Double yuck!

Maryz – lol – same rule in our house. Except for when the cat is in my chair – he has learned to move it or lose it. It’s hard for me to imagine rain for a week, but how nice to have to stay inside and sew. I missed Bill’s second surgery – glad it went well and he only has to wait a week for new glasses.

Tina – I felt the wind from your post. Hope you were able to get the pond done before the winds came up.

Maryz – good on you for getting a UFO done. Happy Association meeting tonight.

Jana – oh what a shame. I do hope you find a way to MacGyver it so it will be done. But, nothing wrong with mailing it either.

Chriss – what a blessing – how kind of your BIL to do that.

I knew I was too tired to sew yesterday. I made a mistake and cut a block too small, so now I need to make another block to increase the length. Luckily, I have extra t-shirts to chose from. So, after a good night’s sleep, I am headed back out. We are supposed to get between 4-6” of snow this weekend. I can’t remember if I answered the question as to where we live – we are at almost 7000’ in Elizabeth, along the Palmer Divide – 45 miles south and east of Denver. We are having baked spaghetti tonight (to use up my ricotta cheese from the calzones) and a salad. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:38 am

Jana - I broke the thread stand on my Handi-Quilter bobbin winder and it was repaired by my Handi-Quilter dealer. I now keep mine in a box to protect it.

Carol

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:45 am

Called the dealer and they said they couldn't fix it, I needed to buy a whole new unit. So now waiting. Thanks

Return to β€œSew ins”