Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday June 8th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Thursday June 8th

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:48 am

Good morning it is poor air quality and no rain today again. Ac is on but I would rather have the windows opened. Ac helps to clean the air and filter the dirty air so we must keep it on. We are worse today than yesterday...but the poor folks on the eat coast are dealing with yelow orange skies...Kathy stay in or wear a mask...Chrissy1 said it smells of smokey fires at her house...in upper new york.
I wanted to get into the yard and do more purging of the flower beds but not sure I will be able to. Grass is in need of cutting too...we wait for some rain to help clear the air.
We did have a nice dinner last night and our friend and my sister came back to our house for coffee...I was supposed to have lunch today with another friend but she has cancelled...til tomorrow... after they left yesterday I sat and taught myself to do colonial knots..and did some french knots...I am better at the colonial knots so need a but more toutube on french knots. today Ken will go to the rink...so I need to get dressed and get him there,,,tomorrow is therapy in the morning and he is determined to drive so we shall see how he does,,,hope you all have a great day and prayers for the needs,,,God knows we have needs,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Re: Thursday June 8th

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:09 am

Good Morning Judi,

Our air is very bad yesterday we had windows open and we had a smell coming in and my eyes were slightly burning we closed everything up popped on the air.
Today it will be indoors not moving I will finish my April block and maybe try to do the small ones.
Well this is all the news from here have a great day.
Prayers go out all.
Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:53 am

Morning
Maryq, I do use Epsom salts on my tomatoes. I also dry out and crush my egg shells. I add egg shells to hole when I plant them, and will sprinkle more in a few weeks. Epsom salts gives you sweeter tomatoes egg shell prevents blossom end rot.
My chickens are almost full size and will start laying in the fall.
Tina, didn't mow lawn yesterday either. I will take walk behind edger this morning to front lawn and Joe will use riding mower after work on it.
Chriss, I will definitely send you pics of t shirt quilt in stages and finished project...first part is cut out blocks and put lightweight fusible interfacing on them.
Not much new here. Summer heat is here, so stay cool
Flo

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:30 am

Good morning

We are still in Yakima but going home tomorrow. I have been reading on my phone but no time to myself to post. Having nice time and managing to cope with heat, 90 to 95°. Today we are driving 50 miles south east to little town of Prosser, we will get back, have siesta time in AC-cooled trailers, re-group for happy hour and group supper, and back inside early. Mosquitoes have prevented long evenings sitting outside. Last night friend, Annette, said she saw a cat stuck in a tree about 30 feet behind our trailer. I went over and called it, but couldn’t get it to come down. Ran inside for a can of cat food , and some treats, came out, and got a better look at the cat. It was a baby raccoon! I I already had visions of having a second cat. This morning walking Scotty, Bill saw another animal about 30 pounds. Looked like a black cat or small panther. In Texas there is a rare animal called a jaguarundie but none are here.

My sister and brother-in-law are leaving the group and starting for Home this morning. I am ready to be home too.

Last night there was an 800 acre brushfire about 20 miles west of us. Latest news is it is 100% contained but crews stayed on site to watch for flare ups. The sky is hazy this morning.

Take care, stay, cool, and sew something for me, please

Mary z

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:41 am

Good morning ladies. Missed you all the last couple of days. 2 Free Sew days and you know, the housekeeping fairy did not come while I was there. Yesterday was Dad day. Went to see him, to the grocery for mostly veggies but a few other items. Today is Finish it with Annette. A little 4 hour block of time that you can bring whatever you want and she will help you finish it. Or get done what you can in the 4 hours. I also need to see my little lady in Suisun. I will go there after.

56* right now, should get to about 72 which will be the hottest day for the next 7 days. Mother Nature must be on vacation or something.

Maryz sounds like you are getting yourself in some tricky situations there? Yes, I think home may be a good idea.

Flo I have not even bought tomato plants yet. It may not happen this year. Our strawberries are doing pretty good this year though. Not sure it's even warm enough yet for tomatoes or anything for that matter.

Lois I was watching on the news last night. The smoke from those fires is horrible. Inside with everything closed up sounds like a good plan.

Judi sounds like it's best for you to stay indoors also. My sister is in Virginia. I have not heard from her so guess all is well there.

Maryq your blocks arrived yesterday along with a package from Chriss. So fun to get quilty stuff in the mail!

Chriss thinking of you and Jerry. Prayers for progression in your care. Hoping somebody does something soon. Your box came yesterday. Thanks so much. The hearts will go into a quilt for the baby.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. May all your bobbins be full!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:51 am

Good morning everyone!
We got home at 10 last night and I was wiped out! I took ibuprofen and got a back rub from Jazmyne and Frankie worked on my sciatica, tmi? LOL well I slept all night and feel pretty good this morning, good enough to work on my little blocks.
Judi, I haven't watched the national news for a few days, what's going on with your air up there and around? Ours is good right now 🤞
I hope Mr Daisy gets his driving privileges back soon. I'll have to look up colonial knot, I have a book and I'm hoping it's in it.
Lois, you have bad air too, gosh that's not sounding good. I hope it clears up. Guess we need rain coast to coast to wash the air.
Flo, I'll have to try the egg shells in the tomato plants thing, we have tons of shells too, 9 laying hens right now and my 8 babies will be laying this month or next, they were hatch February 22nd.
Maryz, now that was quite the visual LOL I could just picture you having a new fur kid raccoon! 😂🤣. If you'd like some kittens, Holly just found some 8ish week old ones in her garage! They caught 2 but they know there's at least 1 more and the mommy. I think she said they're orange striped, come on down and pick up what you want 🥰
Lyn, so sorry about your leak. I hope they get it fixed fast.
Maryq, so happy you didn't need a root canal, hope it stays that way. Yes, Matthew has a baby brother, Elijah ❤ he's 9½ months old now and such a happy baby ❤❤
Chriss, we didn't think it was hard putting the laminate down ourselves, it was 20+ years ago though. Holly put down her own the last few years, she just brought the few pieces over that needed cutting to her dad and he cut them for her. She's quite the handyman 😁 she fixes toilets, builds all furniture that needs assembly, fixes pretty much anything around the house.....
Valerie, how's your dad doing? 4 hours of sewing sounds fantastic to me, enjoy!
Well I do need to vacuum and water today before I can sew and Frankie said he'll mow so that'll get the inside and outside at the same time. Hopefully after my jobs I'll still feel like sewing. Jazmyne is still here, maybe she'll help me ❤
You all have a great day!
Prayers 🙏🙏
Tina

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:20 am

Good Morning Girls

Just a quick hello before I jump in the shower and get ready for a little road trip to my parent's home town. It's about an hour and a half from here, but I need to pick up KC along the way. Good thing I have AC in the car as it's up to 81* here today.

Katie and I hit a few garage sales yesterday! We are kind of dangerous for each other when it comes to finding fabric at sales. I saw this big bag sitting on a table--one of those zipper/cloth bags you can hide under your bed. The whole bag for $5.... We grabbed that up pretty quick and then laid it out and split it between the two of us. Inside was a whole finished quilt top! and lots of nice big pieces... a few more than 2 yards. Katie uses small pieces and I like the big ones. The neighboring town to me is having "Albertville Friendly City Days" so there were garage sales every where! We could have spent the whole day just driving around. Ran into my Nurse Practitioner and I didn't even recognize her in play clothes and without a mask!! At one garage sale I ran into another quilter and gave her my name... she's going to come and look at some of KC's fabric I have left over from the Wisconsin sale.. Would sure like to sell of more of that!!

Better get going... do you ever make plans for a day, then decide you really don't want to do it! That's today.. I KNOW I need to go and I promised KC a day out---she barely leaves her apartment. But I'd so rather stay home and play. I got one of my HSH swaps quilts pinned yesterday and I'd anxious to get it quilted! UGH!!

Wishing you all a great day. Will be back tomorrow.

PS my May Lotto blocks arrived yesterday! OMG they are gorgeous!!!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:41 am

Good morning!

I'm short on time this morning. Running off to the bank to transfer money we're giving the kids for help with the house. We need to do a wire transfer to get it in their account asap. Closing is fast approaching.

After that, we are looking at rock yards for a wall you can sit on. It goes as a retaining wall at the fire pit area. I found and showed Daniel what I want, he approves, but it's quite pricey, so he wants me to go to some other places., hoping the prices might be better.

Then home to purge more fabric in the Batt Cave. Sarah took home some I have already gone through.

So need to go
Hugs and prayers,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:42 am

Good morning. It's going to be another beautiful day. Kind of overcast and not too hot, just the way I like it. I'm on load two of four so will be done in the laundry room by noon if anyone needs it.

Today will be sewing. I could clean the fridge and straighten the pantry but I think sewing is a better idea.

I am so disgusted with the medical field. While some of the delay is Jerry's doing, the medical people just don't call back. I get that there are a lot of people who need treatment but to just not call back is quite neglectful on their part. In any event, I will call the Fresno facility when they open to try to get Jerry in for a biopsy, although I am not sure one can be done with his situation.

While the medical people are below par in customer service so are a lot of other places. I have a window needing replaced, got a bid in April, they were going to come out in May but we had to cancel because of a doctor appointment. I called them this morning and they will call me back to see when they can come out. I am 20 minutes from the town where they are. I also got a bid for a new heat/cool system. They wanted $10k. Called another company and they haven't called back yet. It seems no one wants to do anything anymore. Or perhaps my jobs don't bring in enough money for these companies. I am pretty disgusted and could really use an attitude adjustment, which is why sewing in my room all by myself will be a good thing. I wonder what my great grandma would think of the world and the people in it today?

Enough of that, how are you all?

Judi, check and change that air filter often, even the ones in your cars. It's amazing how quickly they get dirty. We changed ours often when there were fires around here. My car's air filter and cabin filter were pretty gross. Yay on mastering those knots. Hope Ken's therapy goes well.

Lois, seems that your side of the map and my side of the map have traded weather. Hope the fires blow the other way so you can get some relief from the smoke. I so understand how awful it can be.

Flo, thanks, I have never thought of a tshirt rag quilt. I will be taking a tshirt quilt class in August. Yours will help me determine the direction I need to go.

Maryz, funny about the cat being a raccoon. I've never seen a dead cat in a tree, they do eventually come down. Hope a wind comes up and takes the smoke and mosquitos with it.

Valerie, glad the box arrived. Hearts are perfect for a baby. Hope your dad is doing well.

Tina, maybe Holly would like to take a working vacation to Sunny California and do my floors. I've been wanting new floors for a lot of years and it's just not happened. Not really sure it ever will. Elijah sure is growing up.

Maryq, gosh I'd love to come over and play today. I love a good yard sale. Glad you got your flower blocks. It will be a gorgeous quilt.

Jana, yay for house closing. A rock wall will be really cool. They have them all over Mariposa. My gr grandfather had a rather large rock retaining wall because he was much lower on the hill and needed to hold back that dirt. His wall contained a sort of pantry that he dug out of that hill for storing full canning jars. and there was a fireplace built into it as well. He had a lot of that rock work as did most of Mariposa because it's a town built on a hill.

Kathy, did you get your flower boxes planted? We use miracle gro, it really makes the plants happy.

Lyn, the TV question. We use two providers. Amazon Prime and HULU. For local channels we have an antenna. We have an Amazon fire stick that gets us access to prime video as well as any apps, and there are a zillion of them, that Amazon provides. They have movies, older tv, newer tv and more. Hulu is I think about $10 or so a month, not sure. Anyway, they have a lot of channels and apps including network tv. If you miss a tv show on the network today you can watch it tomorrow on Hulu. I don't have a subscription to You Tube but do watch it. I basically watch quilting shows on You Tube. To do any of these things you have to have a Smart TV but not an "Amazon Firestick TV" The only thing we have mounted on the roof is a TV antenna that we bought form Amazon. We installed it in the old Dish mount after removing the "dish". We have more tv channels than we can watch including history, hallmark, Nat Geo, and more. Every so often we have to push the reset button on the fire stick to get the update but that fire stick at the cost of $30 was a great investment. There is one channel that has The Johnny Carson channel, and the Carol Burnett channel, and many more. Maybe google both Hulu and Amazon to see what they have.

So, since I have been here typing I am now on load 3 of 4. Lots of interruptions. One was my call to a Fresno facility who might be able to help Jerry. They received the referral yesterday and have requested his imaging and will contact us for a consult. They are the place nearby to go to if no one else can do the biopsy. I told Jerry that we can switch and go to Fresno for everything, but he says no. We will see, his mind has changed so many times since we've started this that I have no idea what will happen next.

What I do know is that if I don't go put the clean sheets back on the bed they won't be put on.

You girls have a wonderful day and weekend.

Chriss
Psalm 91

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 am

Good morning from the High Country. Had several thunderstorms roll thru yesterday and looks like it will be a repeat today. Allergies are still bothering me, woke up more tired than when I went to bed. You'd think wearing the CPAP would help. :roll:

Judi, So glad you stay in touch with Chrissy1, I miss her. Years ago I sent her some Canadian Poppy coins. Hope Ken gets the Ok to drive. It seems there are more and more fires all over, but you don't hear much about how they are started.

Lois, Staying inside is a good idea. You and others have talk a lot about scavenger hunts at the grocery stores. I didn't see much problem in Texas, Indiana, Missouri, or Kansas, but went to the Safeway here in town yesterday and Wow they hardly had any beef or chicken. More empty shelves then I've seen in a long time. I will have to check out the little local owned store on the other side of town.

Flo, I saw a video on FB of chickens in round wire balls, one chick per ball, that allowed them to wander around the yard to eat. Look like a good idea and kept them safe from 4 legged nastys.

MaryZ, Glad you didn't get the 'cat' out of the tree. I don't think your other furr friends would like 'that' addition to the family. :lol: Safe travels to your Sis and to you when you head home.

Val, Has Dad settled in, and enjoying his new home? I envy your sewing time!!

Tina, I've seen you post about a new Chiro, glad one set up shop there. Hope the Dr is helping you out. You have hens, too. See my suggestion to Flo. Also, I while back I saw where someone had taking hog wire wide enough to make into a half circle big enough for hens to walk through. It was a wire tunnel that could be moved around the yard. Elijah is growing up fast!!

MaryQ, Enjoy your trip, nice of you to give KC a rode trip. I know exactly what you mean about making plans then not wanting to do them!!

Jana, Hope you find a better price on your rocks for the wall.

Chriss, I think the world is going to hell in a hen basket, as Mom used to say. I'm glad you are being the squeaky wheel with the medical folks. I hope Jerry can get in and get some help. Customer service just stinks these days. Thanks for the TV info. When I put my DD2 on our Verizon, I had to change the plan. We have Apple music, Disney, HULU & ESPN included on plan. I have a Roku stick on the Estes house and one on the outside Coach TV. The Texas house is a Sony Smart and so is the main TV in the Coach, but it's older, 2016. I may need a Roku on it. I will check next time I'm at the MH. Go enjoy your sewing room. I hope to get down to mine over the weekend.

I have the Transwest Mobile Tech coming out next Tuesday morning, that was the first available day. I sent Newmar an email with photos and put them on notice that they will probably be paying for this. I have to go to the city today and tell them my house hasn't used the water they have been charging me for. My almost SIL, a master plumber, told me the meter is messed up or there's a break in the line underground. I will get online and order supplements that are needed for our trip. I called the Resort in Canada yesterday and backed our arrival to June 27th, and extended to August 15th. Off to get something done. Have a good day everyone!
Lyn

Return to “Sew ins”