Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday Feb 1

Daily discussions.
QuiltGram8

Wednesday Feb 1

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:10 am

Where is everyone. It's after 7 here. All the early birds slept in today!
Never thought I would be starting us out. Just finished exercise, shower and put first load of wash in the washer. One more cup of coffee β˜• and then off to the sewing projects. Finishing my Lotto blocks is first. Then I have two school bags cut and ready to assemble. After that.. ?? Not sure what.
How is your day shaping up?
Smile and be happy. It will drive everyone around you crazy. πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‰πŸŒžπŸ€—
HUGS, πŸ’• Vel

grammiequilts

Re: Wednesday Feb 1

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:28 am

Happy February, ...I am still packing and sorting. 2 more sleeps....I am anxious to get on the road.
I emailed nancy Halvorsen and recieved an answer about the On Wander Lane she says the rest of the patterns will be out in about a month, She says to watch her social media pages for updates,,,,I am putting Jane together first but I will get the rest of the patterns,,,this is so my kinda quilt.
I have finished my first cup of coffee and I will sew a bit this morning. We will meet my sister and our friend for the pre Florida dinner meeting tonight,,,tomorrow we will visit our kids we try to see them before we go on the trips so we wont miss them so bad,,,,We will miss some hockey games and hoping that we can get the live feed for the hockey games in Florida. DD usually keeps us informed...
Praying hard for all of you....
Chris anger is very normal when faced with this kind of news,,,,Unfortunately the person closest gets the feel of it...I hurt for you,,,but God will take care of you both this I know. you might look up the stages of grief...it is not just for death it is also for many other areas of life,,,,,,Even a hysterectomy can trigger grief.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Morniing Vel, I love driving everyone crazy...just ask Ken

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:50 am

Good morning Everyone,

Yesterday I didn't do to much never started cleaning my sewing room instead I started cutting block for the little ghost who was a quilt my granddaughter Olivia got me the book for Christmas so I'm making the quilt and will put it in her hope chest that I have upstairs when my sister inlaw Joyce was moving her girls didn't want it so they offered it to me and I have had the idea of sticking things that I make or will buy no she dosent even have a steady she dosent have the schedule for it yet.

Well thats on my docket for today everyone have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:10 am

Good morning,

I slept in until 5:38 this morning. I guess the dog must have slept in, too! He's getting to run around a lot more than he used to now that he's allowed off leash so he's really tired at night! lol!

CHRISS - My heart goes out to you and Jerry. What Judi and Val have told you is spot on. Anger is one of the five stages of grief and grief happens with major illnesses, surgeries, etc, not just death. A good way to deal with YOUR feelings - and reactions to Jerry's anger - is to write letters. To him, to God, to your mom, to yourself, to me, or to nobody. Just write it all out. Then burn the letter. It's an exellent outlet for your own grief and then you can be the support person that he needs right now. We may not be there in person, but we've all got your back on this. πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’— Sounds like you've already discovered that you have to be your own advocate. Returning calls is not where the medical community shines. And yes, eat the pie! We'll all have pie! For you, of course, not for ourselves . . . .

VAL - Such great info you gave Chriss! I hope the wedding weekend works out for you. Have you tried to reserve the cottage you want? We are finding even campground rezzies need to made months in advance. If you can't get enough time off, I think that night nurse whose shift you covered a few days ago owes you a big one.

LOIS - Yay for you making the little Ghost quilt! What fabrics are you using? Mine looks almost like the quilt in the book. I can't wait to see yours! I love that you are starting a hope chest for Olivia. My mom started my hope chest when I was 6 (she called it my "hopeless chest"). My little sister was 5. At first we only had cardboard boxes, but when we were about 7th grade, she went to a friend's garage sale and came home with two large plywood chests for us. They had belonged to the friend's husband. Mine still has "Phil Johnson" scrawled in marker on one end of it. All scuffed up but that's part of its rustic charm. It's my family room coffee table now, filled with family momentos.

JUDI - happy pre-vacation dinner! Glad you got the skinny on your On Wander Lane patterns. You will love working on that. I really like it, too. But I have too much other stuff I want to do, and to be honest, I have another project that is also a type of village. Kathy passed it on to me many years ago. I have fabrics pulled for it and it lives in my trailer for a time when I really need a project and have nothing to do. One of these days . . . . One of these years . . . .

VELDA - I'll be joining you doing some lotto blocks today. It won't be a big sewing day here, but I'll get a few hours in.

KATHY - see? I haven't forgotten about the village patterns you sent me! It's all on my to-do list but the list keeps getting lengthened and 'adjusted'. I love "You are My Sunshine". My oldest brother, Gene, (he's 16 yrs older than I) used to play his guitar for me when he was still in High school, so I was VERY little. He always played You are My Sunshine and sang it with a Hank Williams, Sr twang. I think it was the only song he knew. haha! Gene will be 88 next month and he is still singing "the sunshine song". And thank you for reminding me that I also have a bag of beach glass out in the garage that I can add to my shells!

MARY Q - You are just too blinkin' cold! Even North Pole, AK is warmer than you are! Have you tried, or would it be feasible to try, to sell ALL that fabric in one fell swoop, perhaps on Craig's list or your community website? Have an approximate yardage estimate and put a reasonable price on it? You might bring in one or two hundred dollars less, but would be so worth it to get rid of it and not have to store it.

Yesterday I got two quilt tops ironed and prepped for quilting and pieced the backings. Then I decided to dust in the living room, and before I knew it, I had all the furniture pulled from the walls and was polishing coffee tables, washing windows, vacumning, etc. I got the entire upper floor of the house completely cleaned, including kitchen and bathroom! Surprised myself! Maybe all this is why I slept so good last night. Soon, probably not today, I'll do the downstairs (family room, our bedroom, and bathroom).

This morning I plan to work on Feb lotto, then go to chiropractor while Bill takes the pick-up in for oil change, tire rotation, and systems check. In about 800 miles we'll roll up 100,000 miles and the warranty runs out so it's getting a "well-truck check-up". This afternoon we're going to Costco. We have quite an impressive list. So it's the purrfect day for small, light sewing - like the lotto blocks.

May your bobbin be perpetually full!

mary z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:15 am

Good morning!

A heat wave, we're at 12 and climbing! LOL! This Peter Sinks area is not lived in. It's up in the mountains and the nearest area that is populated is Logan Utah. There are a couple of these "sinks" around here in northern Utah. Warm air rises and cold air flows down the mountain side and "sinks" under the warmer air and stays there. These sinks are rocky bowl areas at the base of the tall mountains out in the back country. This cold air has no place to go, so just hangs out in this sink area. Same way the Great Salt Lake stays salty, the fresh water that flows into it has no way out either. Science lesson for today. Oh, the area of Peter Sinks is beautiful, trees, snow, etc, just too dang cold to enjoy. Except by pictures taken by a helicopter!

Today is cello run. I need to check and see if Sarah went to work. If she did, we just drop Ethan off. If she's home, we wait for practice to be over and bring him home. Good time to peruse a quilt magazine or two.

Chriss - huge hug! And then another!

Time to get the day started,

Hugs and prayers,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:48 am

Good Morning Girls

Happy February 1 !! Can you believe it! I keep thinking that now that its' February, it should start getting warmer, but it's 5 BELOW this morning! and just and FYI.---it's 24 ABOVE in Anchorage!

Velda... Wow you beat everyone here this morning. When I first signed on, it was you and Judi.. and I'm the late sleeper!

Judi.. When you see the kids you'll have to stock up on hugs and kisses to last you all the time you are gone! Facetime helps, but there's nothing like the real thing!

Lois.... .So I'm not the only one who gets distracted when I go to clean the sewing room? :-) I go in the clean off the sewing table, then think oh gosh, I could do an embroider something since that can run itself.. and before you know it, I'm sitting there watching the machine!

Maryz.... SUCH great thoughts and ideas for Chriss. YEARS ago when I was in the midst of a marriage disaster, I did the same thing. I wrote letters to God. I wrote letters to DEX. years later I burned them all it was cathartic! I have thought of posting all the fabric as a lot and selling it in one swoop! I talked to Viv last night and they are coming up the end of March, and her quilt group in WI are anxious to get their hands on it. SO they are going to take some back. I've started a pile for donations to local church groups. And you know I have a pile of own! :lol: :lol: Do you need a loan before you go to Costco? I wanted to go to Sam's and stock up on Coffee... never got there!

Jana.... Love your little science lessons! I've been to Zion park in Utah and up to St. George. It's amazingly beautiful country!

Chriss... Love you honey... you are in my thoughts and prayers daily!!!

Well, yesterday I finally forced myself out of the house.. Ran to Post office and to Target and finally ordered new eye glasses. I've always gone to Pearle for my glasses, but Kris took Evie to Target for her eye check and man did she get a good deal on Evie's new glasses. So I thought I'd check it out. WAY less than Pearle! Got a discount for my insurance and then 5% Target discount, even tho I didn't charge to Target card! Will take almost 3 weeks to get them, but what the heck! Oh and I did get groceries... Today I'm going out to lunch with a couple gals in the neighborhood for a couple birthdays, and later on for a much needed haircut! Tomorrow is the funeral for that gal that passed away across the street from me. THEN.... after that I ain't going NOwhere! I'm going lock myself in the house clean up this fabric mess!

For now I better get in the shower !

wishing you all A wonderful Wednesday!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:39 am

Good bright sunny but cold morning. It's still early but there is strangely no noise outside. Usually, I hear a Robin or see squirrels but this morning it's very quiet. There is also frost on the ground which is a deterrent for going outside so early.

Velda, it's a little crazy around here, does that count?

Judi, thanks, I googled the stages of grief and get it. While people around me have died this is my first time around an illness like cancer. But I figure if Jerry and I can get through the time when we adopted Marilyn, we certainly will get through this. I think a big blow for Jerry was yesterday when the doctor called to tell him of the clotting in an artery that had made bypasses to move blood, and also the clot in veins which travel to the heart. We will be starting with the cancer doctor on Friday and go forward from there. God is in the works and whatever his plans are will be what happens. I feel kind of selfish because my mind is thinking things like, we have to get the taxes done or what is all of this going to cost. So far, those thoughts end with my telling myself, God's going to take care of all this. He won't let me fail.

Lois, Someday I might get the ghost who was a quilt book. I don't anticipate any babies in my family so don't know who I would make the quilt for but, it would be a great baby shower gift. I love the idea of that book and of having a quilt to go with it. Marilyn is the youngest in the family and maybe someday she will have kids. I have a hope chest that my grandma gave me. Her uncle made it for her, and he also made a matching much smaller chest for her dolls. It's on squeaky wheels at the foot of my bed.

Maryz, I make a list of a few chores I want to get done each day. Dusting is on my list for today. Yay for getting those quilts ready for the quilter. I might want to see the village quilt that Kathy sent to you, is it the one with square houses and pointy roof's and there are a lot of them using up scraps? I am gratefully relying on the knowledge of this group. I've also lessened my obligations. I am not doing Medicare counseling until this is over. I will likely bow out of the Advisory council which requires me to travel to meetings. I will probably just keep the commission on aging which meets quarterly and the golden agers which meets for a couple of hours each month.

Jana, every time I see the word Cello I think of Mike Schneider who I married in the 5th grade. It makes me smile. Mike, last I heard, was an actor in NY and doesn't like girls anymore. UGH, the effect I have on men ha ha. Thanks for the Peter Sinks info. I meant to google it but got sidetracked. You have an interesting state. Thanks for the hugs.

Maryq, I love you too. Writing my thoughts down is very helpful. I've done it for years. you can really put down everything on paper and when you know you are going to get rid of it and no one else will read it you can be very honest. I also went to the post office yesterday. I wish I had seen you there, we could have had a coffee and a chat. My February blocks are on their way. Happy fabric sorting.

There is a sew along coming up, it's free and not sure if you would be interested or not. Here is the link. I won't be doing it soon but will be saving up the patterns. This site does quite a few free sew alongs mostly applique. https://suzyssitcom.com/2023/02/join-th ... along.html

Today I need to make a trip to the pharmacy, seems yesterday was a day early and the drug plan didn't want to pay for the prescription yesterday, but today they will pay. The way I see it, by making another trip into town, I get to get out of the house for a little bit and have some me time.

Thanks for your prayers and positive thoughts.

Chriss
Exodus 33:14

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:08 am

Good Sunny but Cold, 20* Morning...............

Today I'm waiting for the repair woman for the washer & the man to clean the furnace. Will be sewing today for sure & cooking a whole chicken to add some warm/smell to the house.
Must call my DD2 in Austin to see hoe Icey they are. I hope school is canceled because my DGD drives to school with a new(3 wk)lic. I do not want to hear any more about Ton Brady retiring yet again. How wonderful can he be?

Vel......looks likes a full sewing day for you....enjoy.

Well the repair woman just left. The computer "threw a code" it got confused about the amount of water. A computer can get 'confused?

Judi........so happy your trip is getting closer. Anticipation! On Wander Lane is a wonderful quilt....I love the look.

Chriss.....you are in my prayers all day. I painted one of my baby fingers nail purple so every time it catches my eye I can say a prayer. You are always in our Prayers, thoughts & hearts.

Love & Prayers................Kathy

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:04 am

Cold day in the Hill Country. Our trees are only a little frosty, no ice. There's little icicles hanging off the tops of the bird feeders, but the birds don't care. They are very busy eating.

Valerie, your comments on grief were very good. Thank you for sharing that with Chriss, but also with all of us. Hope you get the cabin.

Chriss, sending prayers. If your busy praying, you don't have time to worry. But, you already know that. Sending (((Hugs)))

Judi, I hope this weather moving across the lower states doesn't mess y'all up getting to Florida.

Hi to everyone else.
I moved Garry's Dr appt to Thursday 11 a.m., but now not sure if it may get changed. Austin has a lot more ice than we do. I have plenty to keep me busy.
Lyn

Return to β€œSew ins”