Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday, DECEMBER 1st

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Thursday, DECEMBER 1st

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:21 am

Good morning,

December! How did it get here so fast. Wasn't it just August?? Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers for my brother and his family. I think he'll be OK. His family is getting into the service-planning stage of this journey, a painful process, but also healing as we all go through our photos and our memories. I don't have any photos but I do have memories to share.

SHIRLEY MAE, thank you for the update. Funerals are never easy, but they do provide closure and it's comforting to have the opportunity to honor and memorialize those we love. It's great that Rod has some answers and now a treatment plan. God bless your family.

SHERRY - sorry you were unable to get your knee shots over the weekend, but like you said, if you've waited this long, another few days (or weeks?) won't matter too much. Still... would have been nice. I have really cut back on my decorating at home. It's a lot of work and nobody but us ever sees it. I've given about half my Christmas stuff away.

CHRISS - I use big Size M bobbins in my Bernie. If I fill four, that's about the equivalent of regular bobbins. And it's just the right amount of stitching to stop me when it's time to oil my machine. If I fill more bobbins, I tend to "over-sew" and "under-oil". And it's great news that Medicare is going to cover shingles vaccines. Any chance they are going to start covering more dental? My sister just found out she needs up to $16,000 worth of work done, depending on what she chooses to do. Those magazine holders sound like they would be great in a sewing room for all kinds of things - even magazines!

MARY Q - yes, you should get the Prevnar 20 even if you had the Prevnar 13. Everybody should unless allergic to it. Pneumonia season is upon us! And my doctor says you can get flu shot the same time you get Covid boosters. They don't interact. How are you fixed for your adult DPT's? Hep B?? Your chapstick holders are intriguing me. I'm going to asking you for more detailed instructions on those. Everyone down here in Austin uses Chapstick, as this climate really dries the skin and the lips. They might be very nice little gift ideas. These mug rugs will be nice, but they are for next year. I pour two cups of coffee each morning, but like you, the second one tends to sit and get cold.

JANA - I LOVE those pretty taffeta and organdy and velvet dresses!! And I loved them when I was little. I was a girly girl and I still am, though my lifestyle doesn't call for many taffeta dresses. lol! Was Karlie excited to see all the birthday stuff set out in her honor?

VALERIE - it seems the base pharmacy messes up your dad's scripts with some regularity. That must be frustrating for you to have to go back. Sorry. Your Dec lotto block is a great one! I hope everyone at least takes a peek. Thank you for doing all you do for us! As for my brother, I think he was more devastated when he finally realized Marge had Alz about 5 yrs ago. It kind of blew him out of the water. He's been in the grieving process now for many years. His heart is broken, but I believe he's going to be OK. He'll be 88 in March and is still very active and vibrant. He is a "coper".

TINA - Did you get your Nativity set up? I brought my small one with me. Well, I brought my big one, too, but I gave that to Autumn. (she seems thrilled to have it, thankfully.) My big 19-piece ceramic one that it took me a year to paint when I was 18/19 yrs old). I also made my little one but it's a resin and I painted and antiqued it to resemble carved ivory. It all fits in a shoebox, stable included, and will look nice on a shelf Bill built in our RV. You've reminded me that I should get it out soon. Will you do your usual bang up baking this year? I brought along all the nuts and chips I had in my home pantry but probably won't bake in the trailer. Maybe we'll just make trail mix out of them.

JUDI - I would sure love to taste some of your pierogis. They sound delicious! I think I have a post card at home that has a recipe on it. You sent it to me about 5 yrs ago. Can't remember now if I've ever made them yet. But I always plan to! How is the decorating going?

LOIS - your quilt is lovely! After making the double bed sized one I did for A&A I can't imagine making a king! And scalloped edges no less! What a feat!

FLO - How is your DIL's wrist? Interesting to hear how we all store our rulers and other supplies, isn't it.

I have 22 of my mug rugs quilted. (very simple quilting, to be sure). And I have bindings on 3 of them. I still need to hand embroider the smiles on 3 more and then will quilt the last 8. I have to say, I will never look at an elf mug rug again without thinking of CHRISS! We went on another 'traipse' yesterday. We needed gift bags/boxes/tags, plus a few household items. We also got a plush robe for Sammy, Autumn's mentoree. And we picked up a game to donate to the Austin Police Blue Santa. For 12 years I was co-director of our holiday toy drive at home so these kinds of projects are kind of near and dear to me no matter where we are. Today's plan is to work some more on mug rugs. I sure am looking forward to getting them finished!

Do what my big brother has told all of his little sisters to do - Go about your day, doing what you love to do, and smile!

Mary z
>^+^<

grammiequilts

Re: Thursday, DECEMBER 1st

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:54 am

Good morning Mary,,,,I am with your Brother on the sentiment, Today another adve nture awaits I need to go to the DMV to get tags for the truck...Seems we never got the renewal in the mail. I get other peoples mil all the time so Im sure they went astray. We got the ones for my sons car....and not ours....(He uses our address for his mail) ( He stays here when he works in the area but has another place as he works away most of the time) we didnt even think of it...till last night,,,so I need to find the paper work and head down there,,,when they open...I have a few gifts to wait for they are to be delivered this week....then really done....and this time I mean it. All 27 bins have been used and returned to the storage,
While I am out I will head to the baking department and pick up chocolate chips and a few other items for baking,,,and a few pierogi ingredients, I will make cookies also and have the girls bring other foods.. Tonight we have a hockey game at Kens rink....He gets a kick out of them playing where he works...AND the kids tell everyone it is "Pa's rink", Ken brags on Liam all the time so a lot of the guys watch this game.
Well We had a really nice dinner at a fancy restuarant last night,,,I have left overs in the fridge....each meal as enough for 2...good Italian a birthday dinner for our friend,,,,
Well Im off to get hairs combed and coffee drank and all the other things onmy list....have a wonderful day XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:55 am

Good morning Mary and all who follow,

Mary you are amazing how much you do the doll house nursery sounds cute this way they are able to choose what they would like

Mary Q thank you for always posting my pictures.

Thank you Everyone for peeking at my quilt and for all your nice comments.

Today is our cleaning day and I will also finish up laundry :lol: I don't know where it all comes from.

Well it's time fore to get dressed and get busy
Everyone have a great day.
Prayers go out to all
Lois

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:56 am

Good morning!

The wind woke me up early. Noisy ol' wind! Still blowing hard, as a new storm is approaching with snow.

It was a adventurous day yesterday for Karlie's BD. Kari drove to the school, did the classroom thing, then noticed a tire problem on her car - the tire is shredding apart. Called Daniel and then proceeded to drive home cautiously. They had planned to stop off at Michael's which is on the direct path home, but the tire worsened, so just came home. So Karlie had her party here instead of going out. She requested her Dad's special spaghetti for dinner. Daniel takes a jar of Prego sauce, and doctors it - really yummy. Karlie loved her presents and the dress too. With the new storm coming in, ice skating has been punted to a sleepover with Gracie and Lila. Kari's in charge!

I need a quick run to get some groceries this morning and then home to sew out the storm. Don't have any idea of what I'll work on, but there's plenty to choose from.

Like Mary said, do things to smile! Enjoy what's around you!

Hugs and many prayers,
Jana

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:25 am

Morning
DDIL wrist is just sprained. A day of ice and a brace and she is feeling better, but will wear brace for a week or 2 to let it heal.
Yesterday got quilt to be shipped, wrapped & boxed. Will get it to ups tomorrow as it's a trip into Springfield. We also started a Noel sign with lights and garland on a 3x5 foot piece of grid wall. This will go on edge of roof over garage door. Also all the peg board is gone!
Today will be finish sign because it goes up before lights.
Flo

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:06 am

Good morning all
Its really cold here . the temperature is 15 degrees BRRRRRRRRRRR. I took Barney out to go at 5 and about froze . Poor little thing was shivering. It was a quick trip. lol He is growing . he is 14 weeks old and up to 4 pounds. I went to town yesterday and purchased a brush and comb and a new toy for him. He makes quite the hit where ever he goes.
I was supposed to see a new chiro Lets just say that did not work out. I wish they would tell you they did not accept your insurance ahead of time. I guess I will try to call a few places today. I may just have to see my old chiro I had years ago. He does not take insurance but I can afford to see him once or twice a month.
Thats about all thats going on here. I have some cleaning to do. I made vegetable beef soup yesterday so will not have to cook today. Well I might put some Yokies in it. These are an egg dumpling.
Someone asked How Jim is. He is doing ok No seizures since March. We both need to go get our flu shots. Probably next week.
Judi is it bake time already. I know I need to make some candy and bake a few cookies to give away. I found a recipe for orange chocolate truffles . I would love to try these. That and some orange suger cookies dipped in chocolate. My head is spinning ,thinking of all the candy and cookies I would like to make.
I know Maryz It seems like yesterday I was gardening. For some reason yesterday I thought abought when my hummers would be back . Only five months . Maybe I should start collecting sugar again. LOL
Unbelievably the new year is just around the corner.
Well ladies I have not been at my sewing machine yet. Today I promise you anf myself I am going to go sew a chicken. Only have one left to sew and two to applique down . Then start putting feet and beeks on. What do any of you know about fabric markers ? I was thinking of trying those for chicken legs and feet.
I need another cup of coffee. and cuddle bug needs to go out again
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:29 am

Good morning everyone!
Maryz, yep I got my nativity scene up, all the laundry done, the floors dust mopped because the furrkids track in dead grass and drum roll......I totally cleaned my sewing room! Today I get to mess it up πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰
Yeppers, I'll be doing my baking this year, I give my baking as gifts and even though it's a little higher it's still more economical than buying gifts for everyone I bake for. I lucked out and got everything on sale for baking so I'm ready!
I like what your brother said ❀
Judi, yay for getting all those totes done! DMV run, yucky...I do it on line because ours charges an extra $5 per transaction and it ircks me to pay that. It's City run and State paid but they claim that money is to pay for ink and paper and whatever other supplies.
Lois, I love your quilt! It's awesome!
Jana, I hope they get the tire replaced today. Sounds like it was still a great birthday party even if it had to be relocated. You made me think of Lea when you said you'd sew and wait out the storm, she seemed to get snowed in a lot in the winter.
Flo, glad it was just a sprain. Yay, the pegboard is gone!
Katy, your little cuttlebug must be a people magnet LOL he is adorable ❀❀
I've used fabric pens and years later they are still there, no fading. When I use them I iron to set the marks after.
Well since I was a busy beaver yesterday I get to play today! I want to get the stocking done for Elijah if possible. Tomorrow the 3 local grands will be here because it's an inservice day and no school for the kids.
You all have a great day!
Tina
Last edited by gershwin64 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

KATHYSQUILTS

Post by KATHYSQUILTS » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 am

Good Chilly Cold Morning w/ Wind!!

Have a few things to do around the house & put up my 4 window lights. I took out a few Christmas dishes. That's all for this year. No one sees them but me.
My winter quilt is in the washer with extra Downy. Can't wait to sleep under it tonight. Today I'm going to make 'Pumpkin Oatmeal' in the slower cooker. I calls for some of those Irish whole oats. Not sure how long it will take, I'll check every 30 min's.

Maryz........yes, it's shocking to see the Dec 1st on the calendar. It's strange how my shopping has changed over the years. I'm down to DD1 & DD2, her DH & the 2 DGC plus 1 friend. And I get it done in 1 morning at Amazon. I feel so clever. Your really getting the mug rugs done. I'm impressed.
Wonderful plan your brother has.

Judi.......I'm remembering one of my 1st SS or some other swap I sent to CA & she never got it. I wonder if any one ever opened it, there was a 1 pound chocolate bar in it & quilty things. looks like a full day for you.

Lois.....you did a wonderful job on your quilt!

Love & prayers.........Kathy

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:01 am

Good day everyone! 53* here and light rain. We so need it. I don't think we will get that much today but supposed to come back over the weekend.

I am going to the shop in Antioch today for their open sew. I will bring my binding with me so I don't have to load the sewing machine in the rain. I may be able to get it done. The open sew is 5 hours so if I just don't talk and pay attention. Haven't gotten anything more done on my camel but I will have it done shortly.

Maryz sometimes I think it a bit scary that the same people who are supposed to be protecting the country can't get a simple prescription straight! So yes on Monday I have to drive back out there. 50 miles round trip but can be a 2 hour or more wait. It is what it is so just have to deal with it. Yes, December lotto is a very easy block. Chriss whipped up 20 of them in no time. I secretly think she wants to win! Glad your brother is still active. I think that really helps with a person's grief.

Maryq I need to get started catching up my vaccines. Haven't had my flu, shingles or pneumonia. I need to also get Dad a Covid booster and Flu. I will make that appt today.

Judi DMV never forgets to send me my renewals! Can you renew online?

Lois your quilt is absolutely wonderful! You should be so proud of yourself. It would look so nice on my bed.

Jana I so love those little fancy girl dresses. It can be hard to find them these days. We do have a child's boutique at the mall in Fairfield that carries them but other than that, I haven't seen many.

Flo glad to hear it is just a sprain, although they say they can hurt much more than a break. Prayers for quick healing.

Katy OMG that is cold, especially to have to go out. Does Barney have a sweater or something?

Tina funny you mention the Nativity scene. My DBIL asked me yesterday if I had my sisters set up. I told him it was only November and in time I would get it done. I will have to clear off my (don't know what it's called but furniture under the TV) to have a place to put it. Do you put your Baby in right away or wait till Christmas. My sister always waited till Christmas Eve so I will too.

Kathy sure would have liked to have that Chocolate Bar! I did send a gift last year that never made it but guess God had other plans.

I may make some cookies this weekend, I did buy chocolate chips. Haven't made any in years. I think for shopping I will send mostly gift cards. I will purchase something for DH and Dad. Also likely DBIL. I used to spend upwards of $2000 each year. No more. Retirement just around the corner. Looking at hopefully at the end of 2023 to mid 2024.

Well CG should be coming anytime. She is a bit late? Be safe everyone!
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:36 am

Good Morning Girls

Just y'all don't think I'm totally lazy as I'm still in my jammies... I do have my sheets in the washer! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I would LOVE to sit and chat and write all sorts of wonderful newsy news to each of you... I'm afraid that would take me an hour or more.... as my mind often go quite blank and I stare at the computer screen thinking of what to type.... and then mind wanders off in a zillion other directions. From my desk I can see my living room with bows everywhere... Not that bows you put on packages but wired ribbon I've made into bows for decorating. I dumped them all onto the floor to sort and fluff on Tuesday and they are still there! #1 Job this morning will be to figure out which ones to keep and which ones to give away. I've started the decorating process, but I think I'm missing some stuff up the attic still.

So, I am going to accomplish anything today... I better get butt in gear!

But I do wish you all a most wonderful day...

Return to β€œSew ins”