Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday September 28th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Wednesday September 28th

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:37 am

Good morning Peeps, It is dark and cloudy here, we did get drizzle for a bit yesterday,,,so everything is turning fall like,,,temps high in th 50s . I have my red flannel shirt on today,,,we head to Frankenmuth Michigan today for the start of the Christmas shopping. (Dont judge) I sorted out Christmas cards last night Just to see if I needed any new....which I dont. I only send to those that send. Most people dont send them anymore...I love to display them...and get them. We may hit a quilt shop near there as my friend Gloria needs fabric. ( she is not a quilter, but likes quilt shop cotton for her grand daughters little dresses)
I laid out 2 table runners last night but they are jelly rolls and after much debate ( mostly with myself) I decided I dont like the pattern,,so I will switch to another pattern...if I can find it,,,it is a braid pattern and I printed it out and need to find it...
Well I need coffee and get my face presentable...I should tidy up the place and be ready to be picked up...As soon as we get to the Christmas Shop with Christmas music playing ( all year) I am immediately put in the Christmas spirit, ( yes I am one if those crazy people who doesnt mind Christmas stuff out in September in the stores) So off I go Hope your day is filled with what ever spirit moves you XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FlorenceM

Re: Wednesday September 28th

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:36 am

Morning Judi & all to follow,
Yesterday I started last of front yard forsythia bushes. About half done, and I find an oak tree growing in the thicket. Next spring when we dig up to move, I will try to separate it from bushes and transplant it too. Best I can figure is some squirrel dropped an acorn.
Today is finish forsythia, and laundry.
No judgment on Christmas shopping here, I've already started too.
Flo

velvet

Post by velvet » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:37 am

Good morning to all.

IAN is getting close to FL. and will be a level 5 when it does. I pray all will be safe, the destruction will be super hard on everyone there. Here we will be getting heavy rain over the weekend unless it turns. We have family that are in Tampa and Jacksonville and they are iffy about leaving. Time is running out for them to leave.

We have a fast run to Costco. We leave for LI on Tuesday so no big list. With the evil elves tossing items into my cart-you never know. LOL

I bought a Janone Versa the other day from my lqs-does anyone have one and do you have any hints for me.
I am excited and it might be delivered by Friday. I don't have the room for a long arm and being so (as you know) un-techish this is an adventure for me. YAHOO!!!

Keep safe
Diane

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:00 am

Good morning Everyone,

It's going to be 70⁰ today with a start os 50⁰
So fall is approaching us but thats ok with the summer we had I will take it
I don't know what I will do today I'm getting into 1 of those moods where I don't feel like doing anything I just might read my new magazine
And have another cup of coffee.

Judi have fun shopping.

Diane congratulations on your new Janome
Enjoy this new adventure do they give you any lessons ?

Well thats all the news from here I hope everyone has a great day.
Prayers to all.
Lois
Last edited by fabricgirl on Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:14 am

Good morning everyone sunny here
Praying for those in Fl My DB & nephew is there
Judi have a great day & loads of fun
Flo We had lots of oaks that sprout from Acorns which squirrels bury
Lois Enjoy your day
Diane I thought most places give lessons with new machines

I must get going Dr check up pick up meds & groceries busy morning

Have a great day everyone Becca

velvet

Post by velvet » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:45 am

The lqs does give great lessons on mew machines. I go there (very) often so I know all the women who are there. Barbara the manager, and the women make this shop so great. Its called "Quilting at the Beach" and if you ever stop in Myrtle Beach please put it on your list. Every time I go there even just to say hi-I learn more about the machine. They have a machine for you to try set up in the store so you can try it out. So I played with it even before I knew I was going to get it and so far doing pretty good at it. Its a free motion machine and I hope to learn more as time goes by. Yes, when the machine comes in I will get lessons from the women there and then we'll share a cup of coffee and a few donuts.
Any hints will be appreciated.
Diane

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:51 am

Good morning,

JUDI - I am on the Christmas wagon with you! Even though we are rarely home anymore for the holidays. I love sending and receiving cards, too. I went through mine last week and determined we need to get some this year and have been looking. Finally found them at Costco yesterday. Yay! They have such pretty ones. My Christmas sewing/shopping is done and yesterday I was wrapping. We'll be celebrating Christmas with the grandsons in Oct, a few weeks after we return from camping. We still have a couple of REI gift cards to pick up. Have fun at Frankenmuth today. You're going early this year, aren't you? Leaving room for a second trip? We are definitely fall here, too, and they have promised us rain today. We'll see how that goes. .

LOIS - I think these down times are necessary to recharge our batteries - and our creativity - and to clean our machines and sewing rooms!

BECCA - errand day. I don't particularly like errands days. We're going to have one on Friday and it, too, will include dr appts for both of us.

DIANE - I was at Costco yesterday with just a short, 6-item list: We walked out with half a cart full and a $278 hit to our checkbook. Beware of Costco! Congratulations on your new machine! I know nothing about Janomes but it sounds like you'll be a whiz on it soon! :lol: I pray your family evacuates. Having lived through what was later determined to be a Cat 1 storm when I was 11, (the famed Columbus Day Storm of 1962), I would be out of FL by now. I would be at YOUR house! I am a storm chicken. I hope nothing happens to disrupt your trip.

FLO - An oak tree! How cool! Glad you are transplanting it somewhere else - Maybe to shade your backyard if you need that. It will be fun to watch it grow.

CHRISS - great to have your girls day out to look forward to! I'm hoping to have at least one day like that with Autumn while in Texas. I'll bet your dad loved his enchiladas! And will think of you every time he has one from the extras you left in his freezer. No, Bill didn't offer a new machine this trip when we went to drop Chip off. And no, again, about trading him in. He would downgrade to travel machine and my present travel machine - my 14 yr old Bernie - would be passed on to Autumn.

LYN - We don't drink a lot of beer either but when we do, we prefer bottles. However, wanting to save my alcohol limit for wine at happy hour, I usually drink O'Douhl's, which is non=alchoholic. And for some reason the bottles cost nearly twice as much as cans. So - cans it is! If I pour it into a pretty glass and hide the can, I can hardly tell the difference. Otherwise I'd send you caps and save you the trouble of drinking your own beer! :D Now, all that being said, I guess I don't know what kind of trivet you are talking about. Beer caps?? And I also don't know if I can resist buying Workbaskets now, if I see them. . . :lol:

SUZETTE - well? How was your evening? And how do you feel this morning?

JANA - that Advent calendar is so cute! If I had littles in my life, I would be so all over that pattern! When you post pictures, did you remember, after you hit the photo icon at the top of the QIAD page, you have to hover just perfectly in between the img brackets and paste?

MARY Q - glad you are there and were just taking a quiet day. Sorry your post never made it to the page yesterday. That's one reason why I usually post in color - if my text shows up in color I know it made it! If it's in black, I jogs my brain to hit Submit again. The other reason is I simply like color! :lol: So were you sewing yesterday? And what were you working on?

KATY - It IS getting to be chili weather, isn't it! happy birthday to your DD! My oldest, Lara, will be 51 in Feb. Those years do fly by! Glad you had a nice visit with Teresa and Rob. What is their next planned stop? They must be headed for home by now. I know when we're traveling and "make the turn", it's usually a straight shot for us, heading for the barn.

Yesterday we took my Chip into the Bernie spa. My sewing room looks empty without him and piles of fabric sitting around. And no, I wasn't tempted to get a new machine. :D I was looking at Chip's paperwork and realized it was his 4th birthday! He came to live in my sewing room Sept 27, 2018. So his birthday present is going to be a nice long rest, and a good thorough service. After that errand we went to Costco. $$$ Then I wrapped some Christmas gifts and after that friends stopped by and brought a bottle of wine. By the time they left I didn't feel like making the tacos I'd planned so we just had grilled cheese sandwiches and apple slices for supper, watched a bit of TV, and went to bed early. Today - some laundry, some work in trailer to prepare for camping, and I want to really clean my sewing room, and vacuum up the dust bunnies. Once the uglies are done, I'm going to give myself a manicure. Going to be a ho-hum day here. Kind of nice.

Wishing everyone full bobbins!

Mary z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:28 am

Good morning!

Oh I had the technical difficulties yesterday with trying to post a picture. I did just as I usually do, but nothing worked. Tried for about an hour. Something was not cooperating between QIAD and Post Image. The pictures are on my desktop computer, so will try again. I will pin and sandwich my Candy Corn quilt and start the quilting on it. I had thought to add another border to it, but have punted that idea to the sideline.

Also changed out my bench pillow. Daniel brought up my fall/Halloween decoration boxes. I have three totes and I will get out all the skinnies I have too. Karlie will help in the placement of things.

Today is our run for cello with Ethan. It's easier than normal, as the school is doing parent teacher conferences and the kids are out early. Karlie's teacher meets right as school gets out with Daniel and Kari, so they will bring both Karlie and Ethan home.

So I will be sewing and working on projects. I started in July picking up Christmas gifts. Family here wondered about me, but I just ignored them! I had a really great year round Christmas store in Sausalito, when we lived in California. Had one here too, but they have now closed, and the one I found up in Heber was disappointing. Our Costco has had decorations out for awhile and I look, and keep behaving, telling myself, I need to file a EIR before I buy anything more. An EIR, is a Environmental Impact Report - where it's displayed and where will it be stored. So far, I have resisted. But that is getting weaker, each time I go in! In fact, there are cute trees, with lights, for my porch I really want, but, there's always a but, with the yard being torn out and replaced, they could be in the way. But, I am still trying to soften up Scrooge that lives here. I have time.

Sun's up, clouds blew in with all the wind that howled through the night. At one point, I thought I'd wake up in Kansas! Still where I belong!

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:40 am

Good Morning girls

Jumped out of bed (as much as I can jump these days) after I looked at the clock... swore it said 9:38, so I thought I better get UP...come to find out it was 8:38! I almost went back to sleep! :lol: :lol: BUT, it's a great day to be UP and the sun is shining---definitely a sweat-shirt and pants day as it's about 35* out! Frost warning here last night!

Judi,.... OH no judging here about Christmas shopping this early! Wish I could say I had started mine, but other than SS I haven't even THOUGHT of what to get the kids etc. I too love to look at The Christmas stuff in the store.. especially at Hobby Lobby... so many pretty things and I want them all until I remember how much stuff I have here and how much less space I have to put anything. I do have a fireplace mantle this year, so for the first time ever I'll be able to hang stockings!

Flo.... Don't you love it when squirrels plant trees for you! Sounds like you are making good progress on the forsythia.... hope you are taking a little time off for something fun too... like sewing!

Diane... I googled the Versa... Is it the sit down machine! OH my gosh.. if that's it.. I'm so jealous! I almost bought one like that back in 2009 at a quilt show in Des Moines. I bet you'll be just itching to get to it when you get back from LI!

Lois... Oh man, I so understand that "don't feel like doing anything" feeling. Just take it as it is... something will hit you. And besides, there's no law that says we have to DO something every day.. Reading a magazine or a good book ,IMHO.... recharges batteries!

Becca.... Good to see you! I've missed seeing your posts for a while. Hope all is well there. How is CA feeling! Thank you for the PM you sent the other day..

Maryz... always love seeing your colorful posts! What am I working on? A zillion things at the same time... Started SS gift yesterday, ironed up some backing fabric for one of KC"s quilts, did a little fun stuff on the embroidery machine. It's so fun to just roll from one machine to the other. I feel like I'm getting so much more DONE! I feel like there is now two of me! How's this for color!

Jana... Love that expression... Punted my idea to the sideline! I'm going to remember that one when somebody asks my why I didn't do something! "I just punted it to the sideline! " :lol: :lol:

Chriss... OH how fun to have a girls day! Can't believe our girl is 19 already! How is she doing out on her own? Do you like the BF? Most important, is he good to HER! How fun to take the train, and sounds like a pretty good deal.. cheaper than filling up the car with gas! Today is my Kaya's 19th birthday, forgot to send a card, but I'll text her later.

Lyn.... Picked up the flag yesterday. Did you know that each fold has a meaning? they gave me a paper describing the folds and the meanings. I'm just going to send the flag up to David and he can make a frame. That's kind of what he does ... their garage is his shop and he build furniture and frames for Jen's artwork when he's not working. Maybe one day when they buy a house they will choose to fly the flag. Which would be awesome too.

So now my coffee needs a refill and I need to type up some minutes from the extra board meeting from yesterday. I thought being secretary would be easy peasy! :lol: :lol:

Wishing you all a Wonderful Wednesday!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:49 am

Good morning wonderful ladies. It's going to be a marvelous day today.

Not much on my docket, Webinars' and sewing. Oh, I do have to go get my car from my dad. After dinner with the parents, he kept my car to put new spark plugs in it, I will pick it up today. There will also be a little grocery shopping. and a run to the post office to mail Marilyn a package.

My neighbor had her baby yesterday, quite early. She was due in December. The baby is in the NICU. The mom will likely be home Thursday, not sure about the baby. If you could add a prayer for the baby (Theo) and mom to your list they, I'm sure, would appreciate it. Her parents are here to help with the boys so my job of walking them to school is on hold.

Judi, funny, your FRIEND needs fabric. Enjoy Christmas shopping, wish I could go with you. I went to an estate sale once where they had Christmas set up in one room and Christmas music playing, it was cool. Jerry sends Christmas cards to those who send to us each year. If it were just me, I wouldn't send cards just because I am not good at doing it.

Flo, it takes a long time for an oak tree to grow, hope your tree thrives. We have oak trees all over our property. One year, because of the rain, we had little oaks sprouting up everywhere. Not many survived, I wish they had.

Diane, Funny, a quick Costco run, made me laugh. As for people not evacuating. First and foremost, they put others, especially rescuers, at risk. Second, people need to evacuate because anything can happen. Often traffic is one way out and all it takes is someone to have a flat tire or run out of gas to stop the whole exodus. I hope those in the path of the storm, or for California, the fire, get out so the professionals don't have to deal with them and can focus on the emergency. Enjoy your new machine.

Lois, I am also enjoying that summer triple digits are done. the 90's are heavenly compared to 117

Becca, hope your errands are quick.

Maryz, in my next life I am coming back as your sewing machine. They go to the spa often; I could use a good cleaning and oiling. Happy sewing room cleaning.

Jana, sometimes my posting picture adventure doesn't pan out either. I have to re-read the directions that Velda posted and often times it's because I click on the link rather than the picture when trying to add. Does Karlie just love going through the decoration boxes and making your house festive? Marilyn used to love to do stuff like that.

Maryq, is that really you? You are up and at em early today. I also googled Diane's new machine; it is very cool. Happy birthday to Kaya, I had forgotten the girls were about the same age. Yes, we really like Marilyn's boyfriend. He is very attentive to her and so soft spoken that we often ask him to speak up so we can hear him. They talk to each other and do things together. It really could have gone either way, and she chose well. They have been together 2 years now. Jerry and I are so glad she is on the path she is on, with her background it could have either been repeating the past or breaking the cycle. I'm beyond proud.

Time for me to get moving, hope you girls have a fantastic day.

Chriss
Psalm 91

Return to “Sew ins”