Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday August 15th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Monday August 15th

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:58 am

Good morning Peeps. It is cloudy with a red sky, high today in the low 80s...I have a few things to do such as clean the bathrooms and mop the basement. I dont have a car today so I can get the chores don I have a hair appt at 515 I will get a cut and perm. Its a late appt but I need it badly...Ken will eat leftover for supper.
It looks like rain today but they said that yesterday too,,,
Hope you all have a good day....XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Re: Monday August 15th

Post by fabricgirl » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:31 am

Good morning Judi and all who follow

Yesterday I finished the wash so today there is nothing on the dockets I think I'm at a stand still I haven't been sewing since I finished my table runner last week.

Judi enjoy your new do.
Well thats all for now I hope you all have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:31 am

Morning Judi & all to follow,
Kids came over yesterday. We played yatzee and bbq. It was nice. This morning DS1 finds out if his truck will be ready today after Friday's breakdown or if he'll get a loaner rig. DDIL will drive him up to Kansas city, it's a 3 hr drive from here.
My day is just uglies, nothing exciting.
Flo

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:33 am

Good morning everyone.
We had rain pretty much all night and are supposed to get it all day today. I just ordered the backing for the graduation quilt. I have to find a place to lay everything out when it is time to layer the quilt. It is a queen size. Probably the floor. Good thing my knees are OK. Today is the first day of school. I am not used to school starting early. In Northern Virginia we started the day after Labor Day. I started a baby quilt for our niece’s new baby to be. So today I am hoping to start sewing it. We will see. Hope everyone has a great day.
Suzette

Ittybittygma

Post by Ittybittygma » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:42 am

Good Morning Grammie and all who follow,

Please keep my youngest dd-3, Darla, in your prayers this week. This am she goes in for all the pre=op stuff, EKG, mammogram, inserting radioactive beads in her breast, and another mammogram plus who knows what else.

She is scheduled for breast cancer surgery on thur. They said it is in stage 1-A so caught it early. They are doing a lumpectomy and taking the tumor plus some lymph nodes under her right arm. Thank you in advance for your prayers. She is only 51 and tries to act like it is no big deal but I know deep down inside, she is terrified. Trying to be brave for all the rest of the family when we need to be there to comfort and encourage her. She has a 15 yo son but he seems to be handling it quite well so far. Darla's husband is a basket case right now. Hwe MIL in a nursing home refuses to even talk about it so that doesn't help any.

Our son got their house sold and packing to move back to KCMO area only this time on Kansas side in the Overland Park area. NO, we are NOT moving again. Getting too old for that stuff and can't take the bad winters and cold in MO anymore anyway. Our oldest DGD still lives in MO and they miss their kids. Hate to see them go but it is their life and they need to be by their family too. Prayers for them too.

I took a bad tumble in our car port last week and am still achy and badly bruised up. Stepped in a big puddle, too big to get around, and slipped and fell. Scraped up and bruised knee really bad and fell on my arm up under my side so ribs are all sore and bruised too. WE tend to heal slower when we get older. Rod was gone and I hollared for help and two diff neighbors came running. I am ok just frustrated. Didn't need this right now.

Need to get busy today. Hope this finds you all well and happy and getting ready for fall. Getting cooler here and birds are starting to migrate thru area heading to Mexico for the winter so fall is coming early. Lots of rain in PHX AZ area recently and more in forecast for this whole week. WE need the rain but so much flash flooding and wind damage lately all over AZ .

May God bless each and every one of you today and all your tomorrows too. Prayers for all your troubles today too and healing to those in need. Hugs across the miles and happy stitching to all. Shirley Mae

Ittybittygma

Post by Ittybittygma » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:44 am

Good Morning Grammie and all who follow,

Please keep my youngest dd-3, Darla, in your prayers this week. This am she goes in for all the pre=op stuff, EKG, mammogram, inserting radioactive beads in her breast, and another mammogram plus who knows what else.

She is scheduled for breast cancer surgery on thur. They said it is in stage 1-A so caught it early. They are doing a lumpectomy and taking the tumor plus some lymph nodes under her right arm. Thank you in advance for your prayers. She is only 51 and tries to act like it is no big deal but I know deep down inside, she is terrified. Trying to be brave for all the rest of the family when we need to be there to comfort and encourage her. She has a 15 yo son but he seems to be handling it quite well so far. Darla's husband is a basket case right now. Hwe MIL in a nursing home refuses to even talk about it so that doesn't help any.

Our son got their house sold and packing to move back to KCMO area only this time on Kansas side in the Overland Park area. NO, we are NOT moving again. Getting too old for that stuff and can't take the bad winters and cold in MO anymore anyway. Our oldest DGD still lives in MO and they miss their kids. Hate to see them go but it is their life and they need to be by their family too. Prayers for them too.

I took a bad tumble in our car port last week and am still achy and badly bruised up. Stepped in a big puddle, too big to get around, and slipped and fell. Scraped up and bruised knee really bad and fell on my arm up under my side so ribs are all sore and bruised too. WE tend to heal slower when we get older. Rod was gone and I hollared for help and two diff neighbors came running. I am ok just frustrated. Didn't need this right now.

Need to get busy today. Hope this finds you all well and happy and getting ready for fall. Getting cooler here and birds are starting to migrate thru area heading to Mexico for the winter so fall is coming early. Lots of rain in PHX AZ area recently and more in forecast for this whole week. WE need the rain but so much flash flooding and wind damage lately all over AZ .

May God bless each and every one of you today and all your tomorrows too. Prayers for all your troubles today too and healing to those in need. Hugs across the miles and happy stitching to all. Shirley Mae

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:41 am

Good morning,

JUDI - happy hair-cut/perm! And mopping. Now that your basement is spiffed up, we need a different spiffed up name for it - Family room, TV room, Kids' Inheritance Room. :D

SHIRLEY MAE - sorry about the fall. You are right - we don't heal as quickly as we used to, that's for sure! Thinking of your DD.

SUZETTE - what baby quilt pattern are you making?

FLO - Yahtzee and BBQ sounds like a terrific way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

JANA - I see QIAD had a new Kimberbell bench pattern on sale today - Sweet as Pie. It looks tempting . . .

LYN - you said you were 58 to 81 deg yesterday. I read that and thought - that's exactly what we were yesterday and again today. And then I read your next line - we're weather twins! :lol:

MARY Q - your uniforms sound quite - well - gray. I never gave ours a thought at the time. But looking back, they were pretty nice. And, while they were expensive, (we had two each), they were much cheaper than "civvies". And it relieved the "clothing competition". Our high school was all girls and many were wealthy city girls. I was a farm girl without much money. And you may remember, fashion was a big thing in the 60's. KC will love going out to lunch and shopping for more fabric! Thank you for sharing the pattern book titles with us.

LOIS - I think I'll be taking a break, too. Partly because family will be here for two weeks and partly because I don't know what's next up on my sewing plate. Have you figured out your Aspen fabrics yet?

KATHY - are you working on anything lately? Are you still knitting?

CHRISS - you are down to your last spool of thread?? Really??? Oh dear! I've used some CT thread but it really fills my machine up with lint. We order big cones from Superior in UT. I usually get 2 white, 2 beige, 2 grey, and 1 black about every 18 months or whenever Bill orders more quilting thread. I only use colors (Gutermann - smaller spools) when I do applique and I can usually find them at Joann's. So what quilt block were you playing with? You sew hexies TO the paper? How do you get the papers out later then? Before I joined QIAD forum in 2008, I did my first applique using paper backed fusible. Big snowmen. I didn't know then you were supposed to remove the papers. Not sure what I was thinking, but those papers are still in that quilt! lol! It crinkles when I move it. I've never washed it. I've learned a lot from everyone here!

SHERRY - glad to have you back in the land of the living! I've never had Covid -yet - but Bill said the sore throat was awful and lingered, as did his cough and fatigue. He also had a hard time with mucus build up. But Mucinex helped a lot with that.

Yesterday I found some backing in my backing stash for my "Autumn Jewels". It's all autumn leaves in shades of gold. My quilting room is decommissioned right now so it won't get quilted until late September. Today I have a few light uglies to get done, and I will make a lasagna to pop into the oven for tonite. My sis and DBIL will be arriving in their fifth-wheel this afternoon. My other siblings will be flying in tomorrow morning. My plan is to have a few hours today to just sit and read a book and stock up on relaxation. :D

May your bobbins all be full ones!

mary z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:16 am

Good morning!

We had all the family over last night and it's a good thing that I have three EMT's! Scott came over from across the street and sat in my recliner. He did fine until it was time to go back across the street to their house. He stood up, got quite dizzy, and grabbed for my island. He stood there trying to not pass out. I saw and yelled, Aaron, Daniel, Kate, who then saw what was happening and stepped right in. Kate took the lead and, boy is she good at what she does! Scott is doing OK. We have a wheelchair in the garage from Michael's dad, so, they wheeled him back home and settled him in. Scott's surgery was quite major and only a little over a week ago. It's good to have such great kids!

Karlie is up and getting ready to leave for her first day of school. Yesterday she showed me what she'll be wearing. Backpack and all. I hear her up this morning. Karlie is not a morning child, but is excited today.

Sarah got me my thread, so I will be sandwiching my Halloween bench pillow today. I have a few uglies to catch up on and my floors are clear of toys, so Yoohoodi will run. Karlie picked up all of the toys, which I tease her, and call Yoohoodi food. 😀

My quiet returns now school has started, that is until 4 pm.

Hugs and have fun things in your life!
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:26 am

Good Morning Girls

Happy Monday! Another brand new week to hopefully learn from the mistakes of the last one! :lol: :lol: And PLEASE can it be a nice quiet one so I can get work done around here! I'm almost ready to post an ad on Facebook to see if someone would want to come and help ME, clean up my fabric messes!

Judi... Maybe that's what I need... to have somebody take my car away, then I'd be forced to stay home! I never mind having late appointments at the beauty shop... I can get a lot done during the day, the after the new-do I can come home and crash!

Lois.... You have no sewing projects in the works? Seriously? You want some of mine?

Flo... When your son's truck breaks down like that... does the company fix it or does he have to do that himself? I know some long haul drivers are like independent contractors. Hope he can find a truck so he can get back on the road.

Suzette... Before my kids bought be a big folding table, I used to lay my quilts out on the floor to pin etc.. OMG what a pain in the knees. It was easy getting down, but always a challenge to get back up again!

Shirleymae.... Will send some extra prayers your way ... Hard to see your son move away I bet. But I'm thinking it will be easier for you to be in the warmth of Arizona and not have to worry about snow etc in Kansas.

Maryz.... Sounds like the calm before the storm at your house!! How long is every one staying? Will Sis just park in your driveway? I wonder what Vicki will think of all the activity at your house. Glad you found the backing for your jewels quilt. And is this one a keeper Or for a gift for someone?

Jana... Hope Scott is feeling much better today. So good to have EMT's around! I bet Karlie will have all sorts of fun stuff to tell you when she gets home today! Kindergarten? First Grade?

Guess I better grab some more coffee and get in gear. Tom and Viv are in town and after Viv gets her hair cut this afternoon we are heading to the fabric warehouse. I certainly don't need anything, but I'm going along anyway. :roll: I need to piece a backing for one of my Christmas swap quitls--last years I think, then I can send it home with Viv and she will quilt it for me.
Dropped off another 44 pencil cases yesterday and still could make more, but think I better get going on this year's Christmas Swap before I do anything else.

Wishing you all a Marvelous Monday~

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:31 am

Monday, Monday.... how'd that song go?

MaryZ, 58* when I go up, but we won't be twins later as it's only going to be 71.

Jana, glad the EMT's were there. Both my DD's were EMT's in their 20's.

Shirley Mae, I woke up this morning and said some prayers for those in need and you came to mind and I ask God how you were doing. Still laying in bed, I looked at my phone and here, and here you are. So, I said extra prayer for your DD3.

MaryQ, I think it's really nice of you to go along with Viv and help her find fabric. And if something follows you home, I'm sure you will find a use for it. :lol:

Minnie was glad that I got up. When the suns not shining, she wants me up so she can sleep against my pillow. I, a good dog mom, cover her up with her blanket after she gets settled in. :lol:

YAY, my tree and branches are all cut up. Got it done yesterday before the rain. I then put a tarp in the back of the old Jeep and loaded tree slash in, to take to Sort yard that I thought was open...not. 2 p.m. I get to the top of the Mtn on S side of Estes and it starts to rain and hail. I pulled over and called DH and asked him to move my flowers under the umbrella on the deck. He said it was already hailing, so I said never mind. Got to Sort yard and it was closed. Came back and found that DH had put my 3 pots on the table under the umbrella. He got a big hug and thank you!! It then preceded to hail for several minutes, but not the build up like was in downtown a while back. But then it rained and rained. My bird bath started about half full and is now full and may have run over. We had a LOT of rain.

Rain! Ladies I'm started to wonder if we are not having a repeat of 2013. After the rain stopped, I went out to check the ditch and make sure water was getting under our driveway in the culvert. My neighbor, Jane, came out to do the same. I asked her if this was deja vu from 2013, and she agreed, saying other friends were talking about that. Normally during the summer we will have an afternoon shower that only lasts a few minutes, just enough to wet the tourists and cool them off. But summer 2013 it would be long rain showers and every day was like that. We were in Canada, but my weather app would go off with thunderstorm warnings for Estes almost every afternoon. The ground was full, springs that were never known were showing up. Then the Sept downpour hit and we flooded big time. We are on a Mtn side and had 3 inches in the lower level, back then. Last evening I went to check the garage and storage area and found a little puddle in the back SW corner of our storage area. In 2013 Garry had taken the tractor and cut a small ditch behind the house so water would run around it. I've noticed that over the years it's filled in. I can see how the water flowed down the Mtn yesterday and I need to get the tractor running. This will go to the top of my list. We are to have rain much of the week and they are already warning of flooding.

Hope your day goes well.
Lyn

Return to “Sew ins”