Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Monday June 27,2022

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Monday June 27,2022

Post by fabricgirl » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:55 am

Good morning

It's quiet here it already 73 going up to 80 and rain.
Don't know what I will do today everything is caught up for the time being.
Mary z thats a really cute quilt.
Mary Q I haven't sent it out yet I'm going to check with another quilter then I will makeup my mind.
Well thats all the news here everyone have a great day.
Lois

FlorenceM

Re: Monday June 27,2022

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:34 am

Morning Lous & all to follow
Busy and hot weekend. End weekend with supper here. DS made salmon and I made rice a roni and sourdough cheese bread. The cheese not mixed in dough, but spread down middle and braided like strudel. When I worked at bakery in Cali, we did something similar with French bread, but I use sourdough...it was yummy. But I made too much and we will be eating it all week.
Today much cooler, so outside work to be done.
Have a sew great day.
Flo

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:52 am

Good morning,

I'm out on the deck with my laptop this morning at 0500. First morning this summer it's been warm enough. 63*. We're supposed to reach 93* later today, but dropping back into the 60's with drizzle tomorrow. My yard will be very happy!

LOIS - I hope you find the right quilter for your sparrows.

LYN - what a great story about the letter! Gave me goose bumps! Thanks for sharing that with us. Glad the party was such a success. I hope your brother has a long and happy retirement! And I hope Garry will be feeling better soon.

JANA - Your bench pillow is going to be so fun when you get it finished! Do you have a Halloween pattern for it? I'm not a Halloween person, but I love Halloween sewing for some reason I don't get myself. And I see just this morning that Northern Threads, the LQS I go to whenever I'm in Fairbanks, has their Halloween fabrics out!

BEV - happy birthday to your grandson!

CHRISS - Glad you have AC. If I lived in your climate, I would, too! Here, my AC is sitting in front of a fan in a wet tee shirt. It works! Love those blocks you did. Thank you for sharing your links. I also like word games and Bingo. I always used to do the daily crossword in the paper - until they doubled the price of the paper and halved the size, and no longer did vacation holds. Now I have a book of puzzles in the truck, the car, the trailer, and one by my recliner. You asked what I was reading yesterday. A mystery by Mary Daheim, one of my all time favorite authors. She lived in Seattle, wrote two series of book for a total of about 45 stories. I even had the honor of meeting her several years ago and she was a hoot & a half. Sadly she passed away the end of March. So, I'm starting at the beginning to reread all her novels. And yes, I have them all. I collect books like I collect fabrics. Only my books are all over the house, my fabric is contained in just one room. :D

JUDI - Did Ken get the stairs finished over the weekend? Did you get your extra hexie quilt top finished? You've had lots going on in your world this past week! Are your temps still in the 90's?

FLO - that bread sounds delicious! I've never made sourdough bread before. Do you need to use a starter?

Yesterday morning I tried out the July lotto block and before I knew it I had 4 finished! It's a fun pattern and it's going into my block pattern stash. I'll probably want to use it in future projects. Then I went to empty the dishwasher and all the dishes were still dirty despite a 3-hr run. So, once again, Bill had to dismantle the entire unit to get to the screen to clean it out. This is the third time he has had to do that and last time he said next time he would just go buy a new dishwasher. Well, we did. He's had enough of the old Kitchenaid and yesterday we went to 3 stores looking at Bosch's. (in the Bosch, the screen just twists out - easy peasy). The price of dishwashers has really gone up since we bought our last one 10 yrs ago. And if you don't want a stainless steel front you are out of luck. All our appliances are black, but I guess we'll be moving towards Stainless steel now.

Today I'll clean up my sewing mess. Again. And check my stash for fabrics for my North Stars by Eliz Hartman. With the size of my stash I really can't justify buying more fabrics, but I'm going to need quite a bit of background, so I may have to justify that. Probably a light grey . . .

Happy New Week!
mary z
>^+^<

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:04 am

Good morning!

Well, like the old radio announcer, Paul Harvey, I got the rest of the story. It is a very sad situation with this brother. In Aaron law enforcement terms, the brother is a 5150, crazy! Big time time crazy, legit-ly and all the other siblings were expecting that since he came to the parents anniversary party, that he wanted to be back to what the siblings thought the family should be, like the old days, 25 years ago. Not ever going to happen. So, all the family did was complain that he was there, in all the pictures, not being what they expected and that his coming ruined their supposed picture perfect. Idyllic family. Not one kind word for what a great job Sarah and her DH did in putting on the party - the food, the decorations, anything! Sarah and Joseph put a lot of time and effort, let alone money to pay for everything. They tried hard to make the event special for the parents celebrating their 50 years together, but no, they even were complaining. It's very sad to see just how crazy this brother is. He needs to have someone as a caretaker as this illness has destroyed his mental capabilities. But, laws are now preventing this. He lives in California and will go back there later this week. Sarah is trying to deal with all of this. Sarah made a lovely breakfast the other morning, but the brother went out into the garden, and ate instead, weeds that were growing there. Then spends time , as his daily meditation, staring directly into the sun, no eye protection. It's sad to see what a mental illness can do to a person. I knew that that family would find some way to find fault about how or what Sarah and Joseph did. But, they were the 9nes to step up, plan and give the party for his parents. Not any of the siblings offered or did anything, well, that is, complain. Even the sibling who, because of a pending arrival of a new baby, had the party event moved to where he lives, in Logan, so if the baby arrived, or tried to, they would be close to the hospital and OB. Well, the baby did arrive, last month, early and is fine. But after making all the arrangements up by them, that brother came for 5 minutes, and the rest of his family didn't and wouldn't come. They were upset at something or something said or not done by the parents, so weren't going to come, they were miffed. That entire family pulls this all the time! You see in families there seems to be one stable, normal, good member and the rest are pains you know where. Well, we got the good one from that family! So there's most of the rest of the story, that I have gotten from Sarah so far. Oh, forgot one more, it's the mother's BD this weekend and Sarah, Joseph and Ethan have been "commanded" to be there on Saturday. Sarah, and Joseph have prior commitments, but they are to drop everything and go. We will see....

My day will be quiet. All the kids were here last night. Matt and Crenda got home and stopped by , with their family, to see and visit with us. I got fresh sourdough bread from Disneyland. My favorite! And Aaron and the little girls came out while Kate was on duty. Gracie made a batch of cookies, with just a small bit of Grandma help. Then Sarah came by to decompress and vent. We thought that it was going to be a quiet Sunday. LOL! So today, I have the final push in emptying Daniel and Kari 's room. They will be here a week from tomorrow. Most of what's left in the room is stuff that needs to find a home downstairs, out of the way of the railroad. I will pitch junk, over Michael's objections.

The day will be hot and beautiful,
Stay tuned, more drama, I am sure,

Hugs,
Jana

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:45 am

Mary z it's my Double Wedding Ring quilt.

Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:59 am

I was set to post and the guy called early to measure for th new countertops///he was here an hour and gave me all the instructions for the new sink and counter install Including moving a chimney cupboard and any thing else portable in the kitchen...Ken has to disconnect all the plumbing and gas to the stove. He also needs to build a reinforced platform for the cast iron sink..it is super heavy...call for install will be in 2 weeks...so it will be more construction here...(calgon take me away) i will need to empty the top drawers so dust will not necessitate washing everything,, I guess i can do that too...
It is much cooler here so I will head out and weed the front flower bed...and walk way.....hoping to get it looking more presentable///I also need to reload the weed wacker...that takes me a while...I usually end up doing it twice and using a few bad words to make it work.
Jana so sad that the party was so disfunctional...Our Kids surprised us with a 50th anniversary party there were over a hundred people there and it was magnifucent..Family we hadnt seen in years was invited and came...even our neighbrs from across the street helped make it a total surprise... Sad that the brother who is mentally ill and cannot help some of his actions was not given more sympathy,,,and kindness..
Maryz I didnt finish the hexi quilt yet but half done...( a little frogging along the way) Ken also ran into a little delay and didnt get the entire stairway done,,,he is finishing the stair treads and will install tonight, one piece he cut had so much moisture in
the wood he had to scrap it..and made 2 more of a different piece.
Flo your bread sounds good do you make your own started or was it given to you,,,I hear there a starters still out the many years old?
Lois your CAUGHT UP??????????Come to my house that never happens here,,,,
Well I need to put the kitchen back together as i had to take everything out of the guys way....and I stripped the bed and new sheets need to be put on (I hate tht job) 3 loads of laundry going too....then weeds XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:30 am

Happy Monday!
Clear blue skys over Estes Park this morning, with a possible rain shower this afternoon. Typical Mtn weather this time of year.

I'm glad y'all enjoyed my letter find and story.

Lois, enjoy your day.

Flo, I saw your FB pic of bread and I think I gained a # just thinking about how good it would taste. I love sourdough!

MaryZ, I looked at the North Star pattern, very pretty. I would join you on the deck with my coffee, but it's only 53 here. Hope to get to 72 later.

Jana, I'm sure Sarah and Joseph are more than glad the party is over. I bet Joseph appreciates your family more than you know. Hope Daniel and family get to your house safely next week.

Judi, I thought wood was supposed to be dried or seasoned or whatever they call it before being sold. Sorry it slowed up the construction. Hope you enjoy the new tops and sink in kitchen when installed. I look at my granite here and wish I could take it to the Texas house. TX has tile and while I like tile, I prefer it on the floor or in the shower.

Need a quick shower, then get Garry up to shower and get down the Mtn for his blood test. Lapcorp claimed the Dr office didn't sent the right samples two weeks ago. I know that's not true, since they did the same blood draw twice before. Then we will stop at the Coach and pick up the extra pills and a few other things needed. I don't want to bring very much up, since I'm not sure how long we will be here. If Garry continues to be dizzy, we may have to go to Texas sooner than I was planning.

I look around this house and am starting to decide what I would like to take to Texas and what can just be gotten rid of. I know bears aren't very Texan, but I think I will have to take the collection with me.
Lyn

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:06 am

Good morning everyone! Slowly getting back to normal. We are at day 7 so hoping things improve from here. Waiting to hear from my boss. She wanted me to test yesterday so I did and sent it to her. No response. I have appt today at 4 for a rapid test.

Dad is not responding as well as I would like. Eating has become a problem and I can hear congestion in his chest. Will work with CG to get him up to walk a few times a day. Also hoping I can get an incentive spirometer today at medical supply store. I will be canceling all his dr appts this week as he is just to weak to get up and go. I will try to change PCP to telephone visit.

Judy sounds like the baby shower was a success. I know what you mean by being the person “in charge”. I don’t like that part either. Rather a wall flower here.

Gosh Vel can’t remember the last time I went to a dance. Country western band? Is this square dancing? Love those little hummingbirds. They don’t like us to us the feeders here as they say the birds become dependent on them for food and then can’t forage for themselves. Who knows. I think they are adorable little things.

Katy that is a lot of rain, good thing you didn’t float away. Fabric bingo? That sounds like fun.

Maryz you are right on top of lotto this month! Should I remind you it is still June? LOL, this is a fun and easy block to make. You could probably chain piece a lot of it. 90* is hot for you guys. Although I remember when my niece got married. It was early August and hot hot here. I so looked forward to the cool and possible rain of Seattle. Wrong, it was almost 100* the day of her outside wedding!

Chriss they say one of the best ways to keep your mind healthy is to do these sorts of puzzles. They make puzzle books for people with Dementia. I got Dad some but he poo pood them. I looked at those blocks, quite interesting. What was the outcome of your trial? Potential lotto blocks?

Jana I am in the mindset for a new phone. What did Michael get?

Lyn what a cool find. I have several letters that were sent between my parents when Dad was overseas by himself. I haven’t read them yet. Maybe when Dad passes. I would assume they are personal. But Mom and Dad saved everything. Sounds like Garry may be having an altitude problem. I have a difficult time breathing at altitudes not much higher than 4 – 5 thousand feet. Likely my asthma. Prayers that it works out for you. I am sure the weather is better in Colorado than Texas right now. My sister is in Elbert which doesn’t seem to be too far from you.

Bev how was the party? Going to get some progress on my calendar blocks today.

Jana so sorry to hear about Jana and Joseph’s situation. Mental health is an epidemic in this country. I have experienced it in my own family and continue to do so on a daily basis. Love and prayers but the mentally ill person needs to want help same as any other disease. I think it is important to remember that MI people did not get a choice in their disease for the most part and would surely not elect to have it given a choice. It may be time for Conservatorship.

It is 56* now and cloudy but climbing to 85* or so. No cool down really until mid to late week. I do have a small AC to will turn on. Can also go turn on the one in the RV is needed. Well need to start finding more background fabric for my 5 other school houses. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:15 am

Good Monday Morning !

Nice quiet morning here, can hear birds chirping off in the distance... At my old house I had these 3 fake pine tress, so I set them up by my front door here. Lo and behold a bird made a nest in one of them and there are now 5 (I think) little tiny baby birds squeezed into the nest. I'm kind of hoping they fly away soon as I want to move the tree but I don't want to disturb the nest.

Lois.... I came up with a new short code this morning.. POTD Project of the Day! So what's your POTD ? Hope you find someone to do your DWR quilt... tell me again.. is this one for you?

Flo... Next time your DS makes salmon... let me know! I'll bring the lemon juice. I saw the picture of your bread on FB... sure looks nummy!

Mary.... You went with the Bosch d/w? I looked at one at HD when I was there. The only black appliances I saw were washer/dryer and while I thought about going that way... they were $40 more for black! I did see only a few white refrig's and maybe one white d/w but nothing in black. Only the sides of the fridge were either black or gray! If Bill isn't busy the week of July 11th... would he like to come and install my new dishwasher?

Jana... Every family seems to have their "crazy"... Not MY family of course :lol: :lol: :lol: But there were a lot of crazies in DEX"s side. Sounds like that brother was "off his meds" . I do feel bad for Sarah, the only one in a sea of crazy to be normal and sweet and kind. I never understand how a mother can be DEMANDING. Seriously!

Judi... Putting on clean sheets is such a pain... going back and forth and back and forth the get them smooth. Once in a while I'd enlist Evie to help me, makes it so much easier. But I sure do love crawling into clean sheets at night. Only wish I could hang them out on a clothes line.. You really are into the house projects this year!! Have you picked out the granite color yet?

Lyn... You are back in CO? I've been to Estes... so pretty up there. Michele took me there many years ago and we drove around looking at all the unique houses (at least I think it was Estes) Lots of cute little shops etc. Sounds like you won't be in Estes very long, When you go back to TX will you take the RV or just go to the Texas house?

Still in jammies here and think it's time to get showered and dressed. Not much going on today except I'm going to go get a much needed hair cut... and will have to confess to my beautician that I took a scissors to my hair the other day when it was bugging me. oooppppss. No big POTD here except iron some fabric KC gave me and get stuff sorted. I think I'm going to make her some curtains for her living room out of some of the fabric.. There's only an ugly mini-blind on the window.

Did I show you guys the chicken quilt I made? I posted it on FB and SOLD IT! You don't get what quilts are really worth, but it will give some $$ to buy more fabric :lol: :lol: I did post the top of the quilt It's under "Cackleberry Farm"

Have a great day Y'all

MuseAndSew

Post by MuseAndSew » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:47 am

Maryq congrats on selling your chicken quilt! Fun!

Jana Thanks for all the info on the Kimberly pattern. I think all of the bench pillow patterns are cute! Sorry to hear Sarah’s In-laws have hard issues. Wonderful they provided such a wonderful party.

Maryz yea thanks for letting me know about
Mary Daheim, as now I’ll have a new mystery author to read! My secret Santa gave me some fun quilt mysteries by LeeAnn Sweeney which I enjoyed.

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better Valerie. Covid is no fun. My son still has a lingering cough after several months. His cute son had the birthday party which was a lot of fun.

My DH put the anchors in my 25 cube bookcase that I got for my sewing room to help me organize my books & fabric. It’s so nice. That’s what I’ll be doing the next few days besides work.

Enjoy your day everyone!

Return to “Sew ins”