Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday December 1,2021

Daily discussions.
fabricgirl

Wednesday December 1,2021

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:43 am

Good morning Happy December Everyone,

Today we have the chiropractor and then after that it's part one of the scavenger hunt will do part 2 tomorrow it's to much to do two stores in 1 day .
Yesterday I did get my exercise in at hobby lobby my store is almost empty of holiday stuff but I did manage to get what I needed and a little more :lol: .
I would like to start a redwork project I just ordered the book blizzard buddies from Amazon but I have a question what type of fabric do you use for this I think Mary Q does this.
Well thats all the news here .
Mary Z so happy your in Texas enjoy.
Everyone have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

QuiltGram8

Re: Wednesday December 1,2021

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:00 am

Good Morning Lois and all our other pals.
I have heard of red work, but not sure what that is. I need to Google.
I got started back on the Swedish Weaving yesterday. I did ok finishing the row I was on. However the next step was needing to start the next motif and working again with a new set of rows. I pulled stitches out about six times until I got the count correct. Now I know why I was never good at needle point. Counting and keeping exact position is so very important.
Glad I am back on track.
It will be a new challenge when I get to the hem and fringe part. I will not fret now, I will figure that all out later.
When you say "scavenger hunt", is this trying to get all the groceries you need? That gets to be a real problem here, since we only have Walmart and Dollar General for grocery items. Next nearest stores is about 20 - 30 miles away. I try to keep my menus within what I can find at Walmart, but even there, sometimes shelves are sparce and you wonder when they can restock.
Decided yesterday to put one small string of lights outdoors. White lights to go around the porch window. Have to say, it looks nice actually. Highlights our little tree twinkling in the window.
Off to get second coffee ☕☺️
HUGS, 💕 Vel

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:28 am

Good Morning It is still dark but we are expecting rain and 43, snow is almost gone again, I read an intereseting article....It says that in the ports of Ca there are ships that need to be unloaded with goods for the country, But with the back log there arent enough truck drivers to unload to. Truckers are paid by the mile and since these guys are sitting waiting for a load they are not getting paid.....so they are leaving,,,no truckers to haul....not enough long shoremen to unload the ships...What a nightmare....
Speaking of unloading we went to my sisters and got firewood last night,,,loaded a truck full to bring home.. Its a start. She has stacks of old wood. we need to burn this year,,,so we will go get more as needed, we also filled her wood box for her, She doesnt use her fireplace a lot but now she has wood as needed...and so do we. We had no idea there was so much already split.
I am newsy today another thing I am sharing today,,,my friend is insulin dependent type 1 diabetic.. Her insulin runs her over $100 a month, and she buys 6 months at a time. Her Dr recomminded she try Canada for less expensive drugs, after checking we are headed to Canada tomorrow ( she asked me to go with her) 6 month supply is only $300 there, and all they ask for is a written prescription. so now you know. If you live near Canada it is worth the trip. Here we are about a 30 minute drive across the bridge or through the tunnel. .if in Detroit you look across the Detroit River and there is Canada .
hope you have a great day All I need to do is the tree now. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 am

Good morning

Lois, I have done quite a bit of red work. Also black work, brown work, and blue work. Just hand embroidered pictures using one color floss.

Your patterns may recommend a fabric. I usually use best quality muslin or sometimes even plain white cotton fabric. I wash and iron out first. I would not use something like broadcloth as the weave is so tight. I’m anxious to see what you are up to! I googled your book and lots of fun projects in there

Velda, I bet your place is looking festive now. I like lights. Lots of lights

Chriss, nice to have the yards all taken care of. You may be able to find someone in close proximity that would like to cut that wood up for firewood. We’ve Cut wood on friends property before. We have two woodstoves.

Judy, I have to say if the trucks we are in encountering on interstate 10 are any indication, things are moving! Though I do know about the situation in Los Angeles with the ships, The dock workers, and the trucks. But honestly, on this freeway, I don’t know where we could put another truck! We live about 150 miles from Canadian border. Lots of people here cross the border for cheaper meds. The same on the southern border. A lot of people go to The border towns in Mexico to get prescriptions filled. All you need is a written Rx. You can also buy OTC meds as well for a lot cheaper. Glad you have a good source of firewood. If you run low, I understand Chriss has some trees down…

Tonight will be our last night on the road. We will be saying goodbye to my sister tomorrow as they continue on to Florida. I will miss them but it will be nice to put our feet down for the month. And of course, I will get to see my daughter!! 😻

One thing I notice as we move further away from home is the water. It tastes awful. Which affects the coffee of course. And showering the water feels so thin and leaves my hair kind of lank. We carry 6 extra gallon jugs of water from home for the fur kids. They do not tolerate this water very well. We refill the gallon jugs at water kiosks at the grocery stores as needed.

Only 190 miles to go today. In the past we have often made the last 350 miles in one day but we are trying to be easier on ourselves in recent years

Wishing everyone a great day!

Mary z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:00 am

Good morning!

Not much here new. Just puttering around putting up decorations. Aaron was here last night and needed to scan and print stuff for the background check for the new job. Lucky he has a mom that saved all the certificates of his training as a deputy . He needed some of those for this.

Chriss - you asked what I was making for neighbor gifts - I ordered some dish towels and then used my embroidery module on my sewing machine and did a Christmas design - Believe. Each of the letters, look like the letter, but with a Christmas twist. The V looks like Rudolph, with antlers, one I is a candle, over a E is a Santa hat, etc. Each letter is a different Christmas color, red, green, blue, white and gold. Really easy to do, I thread the machine, and push a button, the machine does it for me! We will fold it up and tie a simple jute string around the gift,, and add a kraft paper brown tag.

My little pixie, Karlie, turned 6 yesterday. She is in kindergarten and loves it. Daniel was making a birthday cake for her. The first one stuck in the pan, so he called to find out how to not have the next one stick.

Sarah got her flu shot, it didn't go well. But as the day wore on, she took some Benadryl and it helped with her reaction. Sarah has always had reactions to vaccinations, so we weren't surprised.

I also got the guest room straightened and found where my kids had put some of our coats. I had been looking for them here in the past few weeks. It took more effort for them to toss the stuff in that room, than hanging it up on their spot in my laundry /mud room! The mud room was much closer! Oh well, they were trying to help.

Sewing today,

Hugs,
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:57 am

Good beautiful morning, it's going to be a fantastic day today.

24 shopping days till Christmas. I still need to get two gift cards and then I am done. Things will be delivered here and I will wrap them as I get them. I love online shopping.

I gotta know, will your Christmas meal mimic your Thanksgiving meal?

Looks like three more need to get their SS packages so we can get to opening them up. I can't wait to see who my Santa is, she really tricked me this year and I haven't gotten a clue.

Lois, I use plain old quilters cotton, white on white or Kona white for redwork. Love the blizzard buddies pattern, it's really cute. I use a light box to transfer the design from the paper to the fabric. My light box is from Amazon and didn't cost me $20. I use it often.

Velda, I bet your tree / window are lovely. Made me smile to imagine it. When we went to Illinois about 18-20 years ago I noticed there was WalMart and Aldi's for shopping, and of course the Dollar General, guess not much has changed.

Judi, another prescription savings tool is Good RX. Sometimes the drugs using it are cheaper than Medicare or private insurance. I have also found that a preferred pharmacy isn't always the least expensive. If she is on Medicare have her look up her drug on Medicare.gov. She doesn't have to sign up on Medicare.gov and can "log on without an account". She can compare up to 5 pharmacies. The cargo ships coming from other countries bringing goods into Cali are stuck at the port, and there are lots of them. Farmers, and I am sure others, here want to send goods to other countries (cotton, nuts etc.) The cargo trailers waiting in port need to be emptied here so they can be filled with our goods and sent back to the countries full of the product we are selling to other countries. Things like nuts and cotton and such could easily spoil while waiting to be transported making it unsellable to the buyer. Maybe the US will figure out that we need to supply our own goods here which would create jobs.

Maryz, bet you can't wait to hug your daughter's neck. And I bet you can't wait to not be sitting in the front seat of the pickup. I agree about water, I feel mine is the best and often refill bottles to take with me as I go places. Mine is even better than bottled water you buy in the store. I'm a water snob.

Jana, love the towels, they sound really cute. glad you found the coats, goofball kids, don't you love how they make you smile?

I need to get moving, you girls have a spectacular day
Chriss
Psalm 91

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:15 am

Morning
Joe does drive a big rig. The problem with truckers at port of LA is the regulations don't allow most truckers to enter. Trucks need to be somewhat new, and you need to rent their dolly and sea container put in that. Very confusing. Joe was explaining it to me and my eyes were spinning.

Tweaked my back yesterday, so taking it easy today
Flo

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:57 am

Good Morning Girls

I'd have been here sooner, but I spilled coffee all over me and had to change shirts! :lol: :lol: I hope that's not an indication of how the rest of the day is going to go ! If it is, I'm going back to bed!

Lois... If you like Embroidery, you'll love redwork! Viv is quilting my latest project for me, or I'd show you a picture--actually it's a Christmas one I did last year! But yes, I use just some nice white or WOW fabric, ironed and lightly starched. I have used these neat sheets you can get that you print out from the computer, the dissolve in water after you're all done, but they do make the actually stitching a little tougher. It's a little easier than tracing. Maryz told me a place called "Bird Brain designs" they have some really cute patterns too! I googled your pattern. That's the one I did!!!! :lol: :lol:

Velda... Am noticing bare shelves here too when I ran to the grocery store yesterday... All the "bakers" are stocking up on flour and sugar as those shelves were almost empty. Lots of Christmas light going up in my neighborhood! Love to see them! Tho there won't be any on my house... not sure I want Shawn climbing on the roof!

Judi.... I hope you don't have any trouble getting into Canada! When I was up getting my flu shot, a gal was looking for a Covid Test because she was going to Canada and needed to have proof of a negative test! Though may be with proof of a vaccine shot they'd be okay. With this new strain of Covid I wonder if things aren't going to shut down again. You might want to call border patrol first! It is sad to me, that we have to go to Canada to get less expensive meds... having owned a drug store. But I remember bring meds back from Mexico for my Dad when his stuff was so expensive here.

Mary... Glad you are taking a "short" trip today. Will be nice to get set up early and have a nice relaxing evening. You'll get to Austin Tomorrow? Hugs all around I'm sure!

Jana.... Looks like we had the same idea for Christmas gifts! I don't have an embroidery machine, so I picked up a lot of towels and looked for pretty Christmas border prints.... fussy cut the border, fused and stitched to the bottom of the towel... quite easy! I've made a TON of them, some for gifts and some to sell at the big rummage sale next spring. I found a gal on facebook that sold them at a reasonable price.

Chriss.... You're almost DONE with Shopping! EEEKKK! I'm way behind this year. For Jen and Dave and Eli I'm waiting until I get to AK to go shopping, tho I've picked up a few things. Today I am Finally going to start sewing the shirt for Brennen--blaze orange! Are the ships stuck here because they can't get people to work to unload them? I know places like Mcd, DQ and others are often closed because they can't get people to work. the McD here in town is offering a $500. signing bonus!

Flo... By all means take it easy.... heat and ice are the rule for the day!

Didn't even turn on the sewing machine yesterday, but did get some gifts wrapped and pre-prep to mail. Fixed supper for the kids while Shawn and Kris went to HD--they bought a new bathroom vanity for the down bathroom here! Won't be long and it will be THEIR house and I'll just be the crazy old lady in the upstairs bathroom! :lol: :lol: I'm kind of itching to pack, but will wait until after Christmas.

I started a post this Morning under PHOTO's ... a place to show off your Christmas Decor... Since I haven't even gotten out one little thing yet... There's pictures of Judi's beautiful house!

Time for more coffee! and off to the sewing room I go!

Enjoy your day!

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:47 am

Wow, December already. Where has the year gone.

Lois never thought of exercising at Hobby Lobby. I will have to give that a try. We do have one one town over now. I can just stay there a bit longer! I looked up that book, sure looks like it would be fun to give it a try.

Vel not sure what Swiss Weaving is? We have grocery stores here but prices way up, Trying to limit what we buy and buy only what we need. I do have to accommodate Dad's diabetes so that makes things a bit more pricey. Not too many empty shelves yet.

Judi luckily the military pays for Dad's meds. No copays as long as I drive to the military base. It less than 50 miles round trip so worth it. I looked into mail delivery but copays high that way.

Maryz sounds like you are having a good trip. So jealous you got to meet with Tina. One day I will be making a trip around the country to meet everyone in person. Although I feel like I know many of you already.

Jana what job is Aaron looking at? I guess I missed that tidbit of information.

Chriss please do not remind me about shopping days! I don't even have a plan. Life seems so scattered right now I am not sure what we will do. I am not taking Dad anywhere. That's for sure. I have gone back and read everything and I think I know who my SS is. I cannot figure yours out. Likely really Tina. Praying for early open for you. Only 9 days so might as well wait. You've waited this long already, and I'll bet Jerry is having a great time with this.

Flo wow the things they don't tell you on the news. I know the truckers have a gazillion rules to follow. Also need that special license.

Maryq hoping you didn't burn yourself. I will need to go look at all the decorations. I saw Tina's, they are wonderful.

Well, one more BOM to get done by Saturday. Also need to set my December schedule. I am going to get my Home Health patient back. Every time we try to discharge her she ends up back at the hospital. She should probably be on hospice but husband not ready.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

womster

Post by womster » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:03 pm

Good evening, all.

I took a really bad tumble last night in the garage whilst cooking chili rellenos. Thank God I feel in the opposite direction of the fryer, or I would have been wearing a half gallon of 375 degree peanut oil. I am pretty battered and bruised today, but it could have been SO much worse. I guess that is my annual fall - hehehe. Tripped over tractor weights - couldn't see them in the dark. DUH!

Chriss - we were thinking of having prime rib for Christmas, but it will depend on the price. I can't believe how much the price of beef has risen!

I am so far behind and now it's time to get dinner ready. Have a wonderful rest of the day! xoxo Sharona

Return to “Sew ins”