Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Wednesday October 27th

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Wednesday October 27th

Post by grammiequilts » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:58 am

Good Morning O'dark thirty. Another Autumn day with a wind and cool high in the 50s. I will work in the sewing room this morning then this afternoon I have a pedicure appt. tonight our 5 year old great grandson has a hockey game.....yep another hockey player in the family. Sophia has practice in the same rink at the same time so we will see her too//there are 2 sets of ice there. Always something to do here....hope your day is busy,,,and in a good way, XXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOO

fabricgirl

Re: Wednesday October 27th

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:42 am

Good morning Judi and all who follow,

Today there is 1 or 2 loads of was that needs to be done.
At the same time I will sew I didn't like the way the bench pillow was coming out so I chucked it oh well I will try it again later on maybe in November will see.
Don't know maybe the mojo is slipping away again so maybe something small for now.
Judi those kiddos really keep you busy I can't believe your Great grandson is now starting hockey that will be so much fun watching him play.
Have a great pedi.

Well thats all the news here.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:04 am

Good morning!

JUDI - We are 47* and rainy. But at least the wind has stopped. This is more like our winter weather than fall. Makes me wonder what winter is going to be like! I can only imagine how cute a 5 yr old hockey player is going to be!! Good luck to him! Have fun! And enjoy that pedi today! I need one, too, but am kind of waiting until closer to the holidays. I only get them about once every 3 years.

LYN - safe and HEALTHY travels!

MARY Q - yes, we sat through all the LOTR movies - about 10 hours in all. But we did it in 5 sittings over 3 weeks! Still not my thing. But Harry Potter is much more my style! I've read the books and watched most of the movies. They are fun, not so dark. So what kind of quilt ideas did you come home with?? I need more details, please.

KATHY - I hope you and LOIS haven't blown away with your nor'easter! Just when we west-coasters get a good brag on about our storm, you easterners have to go and outdo us! Please be safe. How long does Kim expect to be in rehab?

VAL - It can be a rough day or two for some folks after the shot(s), but it's worth it to know you are about 98% safe - and so are your patients, at least from you. I hope you enjoyed your Free Sew and relaxed yesterday.

LOIS - you are lucky - we have 2 sets of outlet stores - one is south about 80 miles away, and the other is east about 60 miles heading up into the Cascades. It's quite a drive. We've been to the outlet stores near Austin more times than we've been to ours!

JANA - what a special gift you are giving all your kids! I love your idea! Enjoy your rain. We're sending you more!

Yesterday I finally finished that block. Argghhh!! In the end, it turned out pretty cool. And I started another, much easier one I hope to finish today. I think I'll be able to reach my goal of "sewing down" this large tote to a medium one and save storage room in our trailer. I had a nice lunch yesterday, then went shopping. I bought a small, pre-lit tree for our trailer, a dressy dark forest green blouse with lacey/sheer bishop sleeves to wear with black slacks or skirt, a new scratchy thing for Foxy, a covered trash can for the bathroom, and a purse for a Christmas gift, and a balsam fir candle for ME, my favorite scent. When I got home, Bill and I shopped on line for a beginning quilting kit for our pseudo-granddaughter, a 16 yr old girl Autumn mentors. Her dearest wish is to learn quilting. We also bought a good sewing scissors and Eleanor's Elementary book. We had it all shipped to Aut and we'll wrap it when we get down there.

Coffee is ready! I'm off!
happy hump day!
mary z
>^+^<

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:25 am

Morning
Mary Q, your friend will be 3 hrs north of me.

I did have a good check up with oncology...6 months til I see her again.
Things with puppy are rough...teething & potty training, but block lotto will mail today!

Time for coffee
Flo

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:49 am

Hi everyone. This is a short visit. I was up at 5:15. Got one cup of coffee ☕ then exercise, shower, and breakfast. Now second cup, then off to our quilt group. Second day of sandwiching our mission quilts. We had over 20 yesterday. We did about 12, so we will catch up today. Meeting at 8:30. Then I have Echocardiogram at 11:00. That test takes about an hour. After that DH and I are treating ourselves to lunch out. Whew! Might even sew this afternoon. My sewing room is busy with quilts to hem, then tie. And a huge bag of fabric scraps to sort. And my next door neighbor gave me an unfinished crazy quilt to put borders on and add to church quilt tops.
Also on to "to-do" list of the Dresdan Plate quilt for my sister-in-law ( making it from her old house dresses). Still can't believe she saved them for memories. LOL. But it will be a labor of LOVE for her. Her health is getting worse, so I want to do this for her. Set my priorities.
Have a great day!
HUGS, 💕 Vel

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:13 am

Good morning! Happy Wednesday

Maryz I just react bad to medication generally speaking and these Covid shots are just horrible. I was better yesterday and glad I got to go to sewing. I got a BOM block done and the first borders on the sides of my TATW. Hoping to get the rest of the borders on today and hopefully leave for the quilter, if not today then tomorrow.

Judi 5 years old and already playing hockey, wow what a great accomplishment. Another Wayne Gretzky in the making?
Lois I have laundry in the works too, did a load last night, need to fold and put away and the another to wash.
Maryz one of the girls in my Free Sew is paper piecing a lion. Oh my gosh, those pieces are so small. I told her to schedule a paper removing party when all done!
Flo glad to here your oncology appointment is positive. Yes puppies are a handful, but they are so cute. It is all worth it in the end.
Vel what a great idea for a Dresden Plate.

Sent a letter off this AM to the daughter of some dear friends who have since past away. As many of you know, my church has closed due to financial issues. We are collecting letters from church members in a last ditch effort to keep the doors open. While the church was once a thriving financially sound congregation, things began to change when the military pulled out of Mare Island. Vallejo is now 7th on the list of crime ridden towns in California. In it's last days, the church was serving primarily the downtown population which are those underserved, unhoused, poor, etc. The last minister while very much loving God and ministering to this population, did not have the follow through with plans for grants, etc to keep things going. Then Covid hit and things really crashed. The conference will take it's final vote on the 29th. I don't believe it is God's will that the church be closed. I think he would want these people served based on his and Jesus's teachings. I included these verses in my letter. Hope they listen.

Proverbs 19:17 Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed. Proverbs 22:9 The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor. Proverbs 22:16 Whoever oppresses the poor to increase his own wealth, or gives to the rich, will only come to poverty.

Well best get that load of laundry folded before leaving for Free Sew.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:35 am

Good morning!

Sun is up and brightly shining through my window. It's cold outside too. Our snow level has dropped, so next rain probably will be snow on me.

Sarah is my good helper. I keep a list of things I find I need. She then gets them for me. Today Lila is her sidekick. Gracie is at school. Good chance they will be by today.

Today, to quote an American Civil Rignts leader, "Free at last, free at last". We are now officially done with our quarantine time! We have done the 21 days that the hospital said, from when they tested Michael. Michael is still improving. He did some more walking yesterday and spent time, as prescribed by the Dr, off all extra O2. PT is now coming to the house to help Michael regain strength. I am so glad I have a good memory, as one of the side effects of Covid is called brain fog, and Michael is recovering from that. It totally messes with the memory and I am the reference as he is remembering.

Hoping to get to sew. We have worked out a way so I can hear Michael if I am down in the Batt Cave.

Stay Safe,
Hugs,
Jana

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:59 am

Jana does any one have a set of baby monitors you could borrow for now.
So glad Michael is improving yes covid does mess with your head my daughter had it bad but wasn't hospitalized.

Lois

maryq

Post by maryq » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:28 am

Good Morning Girls

Here I am bringing up the rear again... though I am proud to say I actually slept through the night except for one potty stop at 0400. Haven't done that in months! No sun shine here this morning, and the leaves are almost all on the ground... we now are in the dreary days until a little snow falls to add sparkle back to the scenery.

Judi.... Ryker! Is starting Hockey!!!! OMG where has the time gone... he was just a little baby! How nice that they are playing at the same rink! My Shawn played hockey, Kevin went to one practice and said "I'm never doing that again".. It was a bit of relief as it saved me from driving all over creation for ice time.

Lois... Will meet you in the laundry.. have a couple loads to finish too. Once in a while I'll lose my mo-jo.. but for right now I'm afraid I have too much... too many projects all going at the same time. When I was at Viv she was working on a gorgeous quilt of hexagons in batiks appliqued to black background... it was so beautiful, so now I have the idea for one similar! Plus all the Christmas gift ideas I have rolling around in my head. -- hence not being able to get to sleep at night!

Maryz... I hope you at least had a little popcorn watching all those movies! But I bet it sure gave you a better idea about the characters you are working on. Certainly a labor of love.. but then wouldn't we do just about anything for our kids/grandkids. Oh so many ideas... I'm making a bunch of aprons that I might try to sell at the garage sale next spring, then I saw MSQ Irish Change pattern, so I've started that, then Fat cat Chickens, that I'm in the middle of, then Viv gave me a FQ bundle of all polka dots, so I'm making SBS & Sams for her (just the blocks), and the above mentioned batiks on black.

Flo... Good news that your check up gave you all good report! My BFF wants me to drive down from MN next summer... and I just might... and stop at Missouri Star on my way!

Velda... My goodness you guys are really rocking out the quilts! My brother called me the other day looking for blankets for a Reservation in South Dakota, so I'm going through my stash of finished quilts to see what I can share with him.

Valerie... Good to hear you are feeling better... and more importantly that you got to sew yesterday! That's important... for you know that a day without sewing is just another darn old day! I'd have more UFO's to show off, but they are all down at Viv's as she is doing the LAing for me.. and she hasn't done any lately---can't complain tho--she doesn't charge me!

Jana... Oh so good to hear that Michael is improving little by little... and better yet that you are "Free At Last" Lucky to have family so close to help out and be your go-getters ! Does Michael have his own cell phone? Can he text you while you are down in the Batt Cave? That's how we call the kids to dinner here... we text them because they are usually hanging out in their bedrooms!

Well, guess I better get to getting.... All my new fabric is washed, ironed and put away, so today I think I'll actually be able to turn on my sewing machine.

A Whacky Wonderful Wednesday I am wishing you all.

womster

Post by womster » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:19 am

Good morning!

Judi – How fun – two-for-one soccer games! Enjoy, especially with a fresh pedicure.

Lois – I have projects like that as well. You’re smart for working on something small until you feel like tackling the pillow again.

Maryz – I cannot wait to see the finished LOTR quilt. I know it will be stunning. You had quite the haul shopping yesterday. I like the sounds of your shirt and the quilting gifts for your PDGD.

Flo – glad to hear you got a good report.

Vel – love the sound of the Dresden plate quilt. You’re a sweetheart for doing this for your DSIL.

Val – fingers crossed you get to send your quilt out to the quilter today. I’ll be praying for your church.

Jana – so glad to hear of Michael’s steady improvement.

Maryq – wow I can’t believe you have all that new fabric put up! Good for you. It sounds like you have many irons in the fire project-wise.

We had hellacious winds yesterday – kept losing power and with my laptop limping along, I decided to keep it closed down. We actually got ¼” of rain – YAY! DS1 called and has to have surgery – he has two hernias and one of them caused him extreme pain for 20 minutes after he coughed. The doctor said it was time. Not much else new here – we’re getting the weeds mowed in the outer field but that’s not exciting at all. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

Return to “Sew ins”