Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Friday April 23rd

Daily discussions.
grammiequilts

Friday April 23rd

Post by grammiequilts » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:12 am

Good morning up early this morning cold 34 out side...it is supposed to be sunny today and in the 60s/ I will try to get outside and weed. All the tulips were damamged by the snow and are laying on the ground so I will see what I should do with them.
I finished quilting my last UFo last night and got the binding sewn on. Put my LA to bed till the basement remodel is done...Colleens kitchen is almost done so Ken can resume moving heating pipes..We have a boiler and hot water heat so all the heat runs in the basement need to be dismantled and repiped before the rest of the paneling can be torn down. I tripled covered my LA so It doesnt get dust in it.
Today is laundry day and while the maytag dance I will do some uglies and sew down the binding. Since I was up at 530 a nap just might be in the cards today...hope your day is going well...XXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOO

suzette58

Re: Friday April 23rd

Post by suzette58 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:38 am

Good morning everyone.
It is chilly this morning. We are supposed to warm up a little and then get rain tomorrow. Yesterday we cleaned carpets. One of these days we need to get something new. But, we can’t decide what we want. Today after breakfast and cleaning I am going down to sew. I got my fabric for El’s braid quilt so I have to cut the fabrics and put the top together. I am off to get another cup of coffee. Have a wonderful day.
Suzette

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:55 am

Good morning!

Still dark outside, so really don't know what the day will be like. The proverbial weather guys are wrong more than they are right around here. We are at least above freezing right now.

Good news on Matt's truck. The company reinstalled a new oil pan, not dented, a new seal and this time follows the manufacturer directions on how to seat the seal properly. It is a new design from the manufacturer, so the company here was not familiar with it. So far no leaks! And no need for a whole new engine. The company here inspected with all kinds of specialized tools to make sure the engine had not been damaged. Matt has all the documentation, just in case.

Not much here. Sewing, getting my put off uglies caught up. Still quilting the one on the LA.

Hugs,
Jana

Becca

Post by Becca » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:50 am

Good morning everyone sun is peeking out We are to warm up then rain tomorrow just like Suzanne
Judi Glad Things are getting done for DD Now you can get your project underway again
Jana Sure glad Matt got some good news on truck
Suz Hope your day goes good
Maryq I hope you got all your dates on calendar You are going to be super busy
Know you are anxious to get family there
Glad you enjoyed your friend’s visit

Our 2 cellular blinds broke in Den so we had to order 4 new ones for Room First one broke then 2 days later another so they will be replaced to match
Stripped beds & laundry Then maybe yard work
Have a great day everyone Becca

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:20 am

Good morning,

We are cooling off rapidly here. Tomorrow is to be only upper 40's with a lot of rain. But, oh, how nice it's been here for over a week! Can't complain!

JUDI - congrats on finishing all your UFO's! Now, when are you going to start that baby quilt? I'm excited that your basement work is back on track now. How long do you think it will take Ken to reroute all that plumbing? Bill did a similar project at our house a year or two ago and it was a big deal. I hope your tulips survive. We had a big snow on Valentine's Day this year and our tulips and daffs were up. Most of them did OK.

SUZETTE We recarpeted our upper level 6-1/2 yrs ago. We chose Smart Strand carpet and the available colors at that time were about 50 shades of beige. lol! But Smart Strand is awesome. A week after we got it installed, I spilled a whole glass of cranberry juice on it. Cleaned up with water using our little Green Machine. Then few days later a friend spilled entire glass of red wine - Easy Peasy - just water clean-up. We still love this carpet! We had it steam cleaned last fall for the first time. No soaps or cleaners - always just water.

VAL, I've not had to have a Covid test (yet) but they don't look very comfortable. Your Bohemia #2 quilt is beautiful. I especially liked these quilts because my Great Grandmother emigrated from Bohemia.

JANA, so happy to hear Enoch will live! And with much less hoop-la than originally thought. I'm thinking he's a RAM. Am I right?

BECCA - a bummer about your blinds. Was it the new ones that broke? I've been thinking about your flowers - I had a baby shrub once in a pot and I gently wrapped it in leftover bits of batting and covered it with a big clear plastic bag and it survived an entire winter. I was wondering if something like that would work for your flowers so you wouldn't have to keep lugging them in and out.

MARY Q - I'm so glad you had such a nice visit with your friend! Fun to visit all those old places and memories! And you DID help on Don's quilt - Many of the fabrics going into it (it's scrappy) came from YOU! :D

SHARONA - glad you are almost done with your sewing room organization. Do you know what the first thing is you are going to do to mess it up again?? lol! Sorry to hear your friend's mom was injured in a fall. Does she also work at the church?

SHERRY - I hear ya on temp changes. They are achy. Hope you will be feeling better soon!

Yesterday I got supper into the crockpot early and Bill lit in and helped clean the house, set the table, etc. The two couples that came over last night started out as his friends from the "Y" so he doesn't even need to be asked to help! We had a nice evening and now the house is clean! The Snail Trail is rounding the second to the last bend in the trail. Hope to finish the last of 81 6" blocks today and start assembling. Also have a mountain of laundry to do. Need to start packing trailer, too, as we leave Monday morning, which is why I'm trying to hurry and get this quilt finished before we go.

So, after wishing you all full bobbins yesterday - guess who ran out and had to stop and wind up several of them for herself! :roll: :lol: So today, I wish ME full bobbins all day long!

mary z

maryq

Post by maryq » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:43 am

Good Morning Girls

Wow... y'all must be sleeping in this morning... except for you early birds.. I've only been up long enough to start a load of laundry, and grab my coffee!

Judi... Does your weather seem as fickle as ours here in MN? Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous... up to 65 and sunny... today is dreary and cold... We even may get snow on Sunday! What's up with that! I bet Colleen is thrilled to have her kitchen just about done! Did everything turn out the way she imagined? How fun!

Suzette.... Cleaning carpets? UGH it's a nasty chore isn't it. I usually clean mine myself too, but pretty soon they are going to need a professional treatment... And I have a sneaky feeling that after my kids move out and get a place of their own... I'll need to replace some! Did you say what colors you are using in your braid quilt? I have pieces for a braid quilt in green/blue batiks, but it's still in the UFO pile!

Jana... You are one of those that's up before the sun too? Early to bed...early to rise?

Becca... Oh for sure I have all sorts of things marked on my calendar! In face, I think I have 3 or 4 calendars! Plus A spiral notebook to right down my to-do lists! all those little things on my list is what keeps me awake at night!

Maryz... It's good to know that my extra scraps have turned into something beautiful ---especially for Don and Cindy. I'm guessing Don is off the road now? I so hope he's not trying to keep driving. My heart goes out to them both. I do wish you full bobbins today... with a little bit of envy that you'll be sewing today.... I'll be spending my day with Mr. Maytag and cleaning up messes I am making with getting ready for garage sale.

Speaking of which.... I better get in gear. I did a dumb thing last night.... I bought a bunch of office supplies from a local gal.... like I need more Office supplies! :lol: :lol: :lol: But there's stuff that the grands can use for school. So you can imagine THAT mess!

Don't forget... a New sew along will be posted on Monday! Not to worry... it's an easy one!

Wishing you all a Fabulous Friday

womster

Post by womster » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:06 am

Good morning!

Judi – that’s a shame about your tulips. Congrats on finishing the last UFO! Wow that is a lot of work Ken has to do with all those pipes. Hope you get your nap in.

Suzette – cleaning carpets is a lot of work. Have fun with your fabric.

Jana – yay for Matt’s truck! Funny how well things work when the directions are followed.

Becca – that’s too bad about the broken blinds. Enjoy your yard work.

Maryz – 50 shades of beige – ha! I’ll have to look up this Smart Strand you speak of. My friend whose mom fell is the secretary at church – three of us fill in for her on Thursdays. The story got even worse. Her mom is not yet in assisted living but is in a senior care home. She fell at midnight, and then was trying to get up in the morning to use the restroom. Her bottom was half-way off the bed, her legs were dangling down, and the front desk called to tell my friend this. They said they weren’t allowed to lift her, so she was left dangling for over 40 minutes. By the time my friend got there, she had fallen to the floor and was curled up in a fetal position. What an inhumane way to treat someone! Hope you have full bobbins today so you can get the quilt done. I wish my sewing spot was almost done. Maybe 40 percent at best right now. Oh – I remember you asked about my dad and step-mom’s move. Nothing on the horizon yet. Although they are coming out here for the wedding of one of my nieces.

Maryq – I’m so glad you and your BFF had such a lovely visit. I know I can always find a use for office supplies.

We’re supposed to get up to the 50s today – woohoo! Then, like many of you, snow again next week. Nothing interesting going on here – same old same old. Have a glorious day! xoxo Sharona

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:19 am

Good morning quilting world! 52 now, may get to 61 or 62. Cloudy and overcast. My kinda weather!

My little hospice lady passed away yesterday. A sense of relief for me and likely her but the daughter is freaking out. I was absolutely exhausted yesterday so didn't get much done at free sew. Bohemia is off to quilter, I did get the rest of the fabrics picked out for DS quilt picked out. Will send pic to him today and see what he thinks. So I worked a bit on a block the quilter gave me to do. One of those with all kinds of pieces. All the half square triangles are done and I have the layout planned. There is another inexperienced quilter who goes so worked with her on her layout also.

Sunday is Cut and Swap class. I will be ready for it. It is one of those fun quilts that has little rhyme or reason as to how it goes together. Just a silly little thing. Going to do it in batiks, Main color blue. There is not a pattern, the teacher shows you how to do it in class.

DGS got a job at the new 7-11. I am a bit weary about it as it is in a bad part of town. Tried to talk to him about that but ........

Judi I have some weeding to do here also, maybe I will put that on my agenda today. The tomato plants are getting blooms. I have been picking the blooms off the pepper plant because I want the plant to get a bit bigger.
Suzette carpet choosing can be a chore. So many choices.
Jana I have lots of put off uglies. They will likely be there tomorrow also!
Becca what is a cellular blind?
Maryz Bohemia is about a 6 hour quilt. You should try one. Just have to make sure you get the right Ombre fabric. You need the one that is light to dark across the width of fabric, if you get the dark to light to dark, it will not work.
Maryq I have been up but did sleep in till almost 7. Have been catching up my charting for night shift job. 2 charts to go for day job.

Will try to fit in my sew along block today. Then need to cut my cut and swap blocks into manageable size pieces. Maybe a load of laundry and my binding on UGRR. 2 more sides to go. Off for more coffee
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:23 am

Good day to all. I will need to read what's going on, but for now here's my news.

Thought it was a PA that Garry was going to see yesterday. Turns out Danielle is a NP, Nurse Practitioner, and very nice. The blood test from Tuesday shows that the meds Garry's on are working to give the results that are wanted. So, we are clear to travel. I will be doing all the driving. Plan to leave next week for Newmar Service Center in Nappanee, Indiana. Our appt starts May 3rd. I'm working out the trip around the weather, I hope.

Thanks again for your prayers!
Lyn

Return to “Sew ins”