Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

The perfect place to share photos of your quilts, family, friends and unfinished projects.
QIAD-Linda

Re:

Post by QIAD-Linda » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:30 am

Kadie,
You keep me laughing all the time. You are a one-woman entertainment center for me! Thanks for being so much fun. I love all of your comments.

lol,
Linda

Littlebit

Re:

Post by Littlebit » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:48 am

My whole family gets together at my Mom and Dad's home on Halloween we have Chili and Soup. My nieces and nephews make a haunted house, and yes we do "scare the cr**" out of everyone. It is alot of fun.

When we were all younger we would have bon fires and hayrack rides and people would be hiding on the trails, and "scare the cr**" out of everyone, loved it.

Cathy32078

Re:

Post by Cathy32078 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:01 pm

ROFLOL @ Maria & Kadie. LOL Ya'll are so funny. LOL

CoyoteQuilts

Re:

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:48 pm

Kadie, The pumpkins are 'carved' with scary faces, a light or candle is put inside (after we clean the insides out of course) and put it on the front porch, steps or entry to the front door to the house. We also hang skeletons (plastic), witches, spiders and anything else that people think are scary. The teen age kids soap windows and spray shaving cream on windows & at people. Yeah, I know we are a weird bunch of critters!! I have never known the reason for it, just have done it. I think it is my DH's favorite holiday. Halloween is fun & Thanksgiving is serious. Thanksgiving is for us to give Thanks for our freedom. It started with the first immigrants at Plymouth Rock from England. Hope that helps, & keep up the good work by helping us to remember what our holidays are suppose to mean to us. :) S
PS. No question is dumb!!

kadie

Re:

Post by kadie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 pm

I hope you all don't think I was being disrespectful about Thanksgiving because I definitely wasn't as I know the meaning behind it. I just didn't know the meaning of Halloween, except it was fun and scary etc.

HomespunMary

Re:

Post by HomespunMary » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:25 pm

Yeah, kadie, I think us foreigners could probably come up with a whole list of things Amercian that we don't really understand... LOL! Not only is is strange to lure kids with candy and then scare the h**l out of them, there are also other things that seem so counterintuitive to me. Like the date thing you posted in another thread. Whoever came up with the idea to write dates in the "wrong" order, so that the month comes before the day and then the year (so that 2/8/2007 means a day in February for Americans but a day in August for a non-American). Here, we do it either day-month-year, or year-month-day, which seem like the only two logical ways, but apparently there is a separate US logic as well, different from the rest of the world...LOL!

Oh, yeah, (and also inspired by another thread I just read): why are public toilets generally referred to as rest rooms. Does anyone actually go there to rest?

kadie

Re:

Post by kadie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:36 pm

I agree with you HomespunMary!
If you tried to lure a child with lollies over here for any reason you would end up in jail!
I have never understood the date thing, it just doesn't make sense to put the month first.
And then there is "ground hog day" which appears very odd.
I could go on but I don't want to upset anyone. So long as whoever reads this realises we are only fooling around and having a torment!!

HomespunMary

Re:

Post by HomespunMary » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:52 pm

Yes, kadie, you're right. We shouldn't take this any further, in case someone would mistake our loving but joking tone for a serious scepticism, which it is certainly isn't! I too hope that noone was taking offence.

SusieQ51

Re:

Post by SusieQ51 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:46 am

Mary - They can be restrooms IF the others in the place would leave you alone to "rest" and think. Don't worry about not knowing our traditions and customs with the holidays. You would be amazed at the number of Americans who aren't really sure why we do certain things for certain holidays.

kadie - I love your comment about giving the kiddies candy and then scaring the hell out of them. This is the only holiday where you can scare the kiddies and not get called a meanie by the world.

Leetec

Re:

Post by Leetec » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:52 am

You two are so funny! There certainly are some things we do here that are strange, and funny! The groundhogs thing is one of them that's for sure!

Halloween acutally has a religous significance if you look at the history. It started out as a pagan ritual to honor the sprits of the dead. The early church changed the rites to some degree to make it less "superstious" but to somehow incorporate it into the Christian culture. My priest could explain it better but that's the jist of it.

Return to “Quilting Photos”