Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

sorry its one at a time

The perfect place to share photos of your quilts, family, friends and unfinished projects.
Namarose

Re: sorry its one at a time

Post by Namarose » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Beautiful quilt. Yes you are to hard on yourself. You'll get better with every quilt you do. Keep up the good work. At least you can sew. My machine die too. Katherine

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:57 am

Kadie...You did a fantastic job. Picking colors was one of the hardest things for me when I first started. You did a wonderful job in the colors and the piecing. What are you working on now?

kadie

Post by kadie » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:09 am

grammy65
I just finished the autograph blocks so anything else got put on the backburner 'til I got them done 'cause I didn't want to hold anybody up by being late and I'm very slow at sewing.
I have started a queen log cabin for my son and his girlfriend and I have a double bed UFO that just needs binding that I chucked to one side last year 'cause I wasn't happy with it (and I'm still not but I can't fix the problem).I would also like to have a crack at an Irish Chain but have to do a lot more reading up on that one....and then there's some applique I'd like to try,but it's a bit spooky 'cause of all the tiny wee pieces in the pattern and then........the list of want to dos goes on and on and on and............

grammy65

Post by grammy65 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:30 am

Kadie....know what you mean about applique`. I called it the "A" word for a long time. I finally got up the nerve to try a Hawaiian block for a pillow, and was forced to do needle turn. Once I got the hang of it it wasn't so bad. In the beginning I kept trying to fold back the fabric too far ahead of the needle. When I stopped doing that it went a lot faster.

I am also a very slow sewer. I literally sew slow on the machine. It amazes me to watch people zipping along with their machines and still come out with a perfect 1/4". Not me...I just kind of plug along.

Nadine2007

Post by Nadine2007 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:10 pm

Kadie love your quilt colors and pattern. This quilt kinda reminds me of the first quilt I made and gave to my parents it was the first one I quilted on the gammill not the first quilt I made. Great job! I told my mom if I made any mistakes on the gammill she is the only person I know that won't care. I really didn't make any mistakes on her quilt she got lucky.

kadie

Post by kadie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:39 pm

My mother in law saw the floral material not long after I bought it and asked me what I was going to do with it ...she thought it was so pretty. That was when I decided to have a go at making them a quilt. It is what I call a "dirty" floral for want of a better expression and I found it very hard to match the background colour. I finally went with the cream, rose and green homespun and let the floral "do the talking". MIL is an expert seamstress....used to make wedding dresses, do alterations for major suit stores etc so it was very intimidating for beginner me to sew something for her and FIL. This photo was taken at their home last Christmas. I really wanted to quilt some little motiff in each rose square but I ran out of time so hand quilted the cross hatch through all the cream squares, stitched in the ditch aound all the others and in the ditch in the borders.... and it was all through the summer! I don't use a hoop so had it laid out on the dining room table for weeks and weeks so everyone had to eat off their laps in the loungeroom!!!

Return to “Quilting Photos”