Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Does anyone collect sewing notions?

The perfect place to share photos of your quilts, family, friends and unfinished projects.
calicopuzzle

Does anyone collect sewing notions?

Post by calicopuzzle » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:02 am

I have been collecting sewing items...does anyone else share this same interest? The pictures are actual magazines that I framed because of the pictures...l928,l929 & l934.

bjgallo

Re: Does anyone collect sewing notions?

Post by bjgallo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:53 am

What an interesting collection? How long have you been collecting?
BJ

missmarcia

Post by missmarcia » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:41 am

Interesting..I thought about collecting thimbles or pin cushions. I have several that my grandmother had

patsyann06

Post by patsyann06 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:43 am

I love your collection of sewing notions. Especially your Big Shoe and Hen pin cushions. I only have a small collection of thimbles-some are crystal and sterling silver, and some actual antique thimbles(used for sewing many yrs ago by my grandmother).
Where have you found these great collectibles? Pictures are so cute!

qltsbme

Post by qltsbme » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:00 am

Fun collection!!! I like the idea.

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:13 am

Calicopuzzle, I have s collection of the old irons that you heated on the stove, some hat stands and old industrial thread spools. I don't have any pictures but I will take some and post them next week.

calicopuzzle

Post by calicopuzzle » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:14 am

Most of the packages of ric-racs & trims are from my Mom's stuff...needles, buttons also. Magazines I picked up antiquing in Iowa. Some of the other gadgets in WI,MI & MN..some at garage sales, others in antique stores. Surprising how hard it is to find sewing items...I am thinking lots of the old quilting and sewing items might have been thrown out after a dear one died? Have been picking up items for many years...just in the last several years my DH built me the display box and I have a sewing room now to display what has been in drawers...you know what I mean? -- The chicken has a tape measure that pulls out from it's mouth. :))

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:47 am

I collect just about anything... if I start ONE more collection, my kids will have me committed!

I have a few old sewing things...

My maternal Grandmother's sewing basket--all wood
My maternal Grandmother's treadle sewing machine
A box of old thread that was my paternal GM's.... back when they made the spool out of wood! I have those sitting on a little tiny shelf that was the same GM's. And I have quite a few of my Grandmother's kntting needles, still in the original package. Those are in a box somewhere, tho I should find a neat way to display them!

And I have the sewing basket that I was given when I was in high school and since I've been out of high school 38 years, it is ALMOST an antique. LOL

mq

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:48 am

BTW I love the cabinet you have those displayed in!!!

Tiggersmom

Post by Tiggersmom » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:24 pm

I've started collection pin cushions. I don't have very many yet and so far they are all modern, no real antiques, but there is always hope!

Return to “Quilting Photos”