Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Granddaughter & UGRR blocks

The perfect place to share photos of your quilts, family, friends and unfinished projects.
shelly322002

Granddaughter & UGRR blocks

Post by shelly322002 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi there, My granddaughter (Phoebe aged 9) asked me to introduce her to sewing a few months ago.
After helping her to make a small quilt for her beloved 'Bunny', I thought it was time to bring out the machine and El's UGRR book and get her started on her own sampler quilt.
I let he pick the blocks, gave her a huge pile of matching fq's fabric and started her off on the journey. We're making 1 block every 3 weeks or so, so have only made 3 up to now.
I've actually been very strict with her with seam allowances, pressing, 'nesting' and squaring up etc (the squaring up I've been doing due to the rotary cutter)
To be honest, her blocks so far have come out fantastic! To say these are her first proper blocks I think they're amazing and just had to share them with you. I'd be very proud to call them my own!!
We're making blocks together along the journey.
I think she's loving her 'UGRR journey' 'sew' far!!
Thanks for looking, love Jacquie xxx

Oasis

Re: Granddaughter & UGRR blocks

Post by Oasis » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:06 pm

Hi Shelly and Phoebe!

PHOEBE, your blocks are very very nice! I see that you even did a bit of decorative stitching on the circle. Very even stitching/lines. Your seams all match perfectly. Your Grandmother is doing an excellent job of teaching the basics and being strict with the procedures. I am a "nut" for pressing! :D I don't have the UGRR book, but really like the block/pattern you are holding up. It looks like you are going to be a fabulous quilter!
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:36 am

Wow Jacquie you are blessed to have such a beautiful Grandaughter who is beginning to share your passion her blocks are wonderful.

Thank you for sharing.
Lois

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:13 am

Very talented young lady! And lovely too. You taught her well, her blocks are perfect!

DouceFleur1

Post by DouceFleur1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:05 am

Jacquie, your granddaughter is a lovely young lady! You are teaching very well. Phoebe, your blocks are beautiful. Well done!!

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:26 pm

That is fabulous!! I wish my granddaughters had the sewing interest. That sounds so fun to do this together. Great memories, too!
She's talented and beautiful. So glad you shared with us.
Velda
HUGS, đź’• Vel

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:02 pm

such an adorable and talented young lady. I can't believe it's been 9 years. I think I remember when she was born. she really is a beauty.
Psalm 48:10 Isaiah 41:10

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi Jacquie. Good to see you posting. I can't believe Phoebe is 9 already. I think she definitely has the quilt gene in her. Her blocks are perfect. Lucky you to get to sew together with her.
Lori 8-)

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:47 am

Wow great job.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:23 pm

What beautiful work she is creating Great that she wants to learn Enjoy your time together. Becca

Return to “Quilting Photos”