Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

squares stretch

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
misbrooklyn

squares stretch

Post by misbrooklyn » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:55 pm

I am a new quilter. I have taped the backing on the floor nice and smooth, put on my batting and top and smoothed out. Safety pin basted about every 6 inches. Divided into quarters. When I stitch in the ditch some of the squares seem to stretch in the corners. I have loosened my feed tension and made my stitch a little longer. What am I doing wrong. It is not with all squares.

ipquilter

Re: squares stretch

Post by ipquilter » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi misbrooklyn! My first thought is that you may not have basted close enough. The pins should be about a hand's width apart at the most. Also, maybe you could baste even closer along the seams where you plan to do the stitching. Basting is my absolute least favorite part of the quilting process, but I usually baste pretty close together to make sure nothing shifts. Here's an extra tip-I use a small metal crochet hook to help me close the safety pins. Saves wear and tear on the fingers. There's a tool called Kwik Clip that I hear is good for that also.
Good luck with your quilt and be sure to post a picture! Have fun with it!
Sherry

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:54 am

When I use a walking foot, it can cause the top to stretch, especially the sashing. When you are quilting with a walking foot, you have to keep your hands on each side of the quilt as it's going under the foot. I pull out with my hands. If you quilt down one side and come back up, it causes the top to pull, like it's stretched.

If you quilt DOWN, don't come back up.
Quilt all the rows from Top to Bottom, top to bottom, etc. When you quilt back and forth, your top will get wonky.

PS- Freemotion quilting is alot easier in terms of the look and your back.

HTH, Amie

Susie

Post by Susie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:41 pm

I am a new quilter also but I have to tell you I have had better luck with my lap size quilts using the basting spray rather than pins. Have you heard of it?
Susie

Polishqltr

Post by Polishqltr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:25 am

I use the basting spray and like it real well. I sprayed a placemat
over a year ago and have not gotten around to quilting it and it is
still holding together -- maybe I used to much??? I also have a
Kwik Clip and it is wonderful when I use pins to baste. As far as
your blocks stretching, do you maybe have the edges of the squares
on bias? As long as some blocks stretch and some do not, I would say
that they are either on the bias or some are on the straight of grain
and some are on the widthwise grain which has more stretch than the
straight.

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:17 am

I pin close together and use the Kwik Clip from Eleanor Burns Quilt In a Day notions supply....it works great! Consider your bias, basting method and how you are quilting on the machine...practice on a sample first. Good Luck.

CindyB

Post by CindyB » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:20 am

Ditto everything above (or below!)

I have a tendency to not baste enough... I have learned my lesson!

I enjoy free motion quilting much more than ITD!

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:49 am

i used to make sure i pinned very close together i would lay my hand down and make sure my palm and all 5 fingers could touch a pin not very pretty but very effective
you may also consider taking it to a long arm quilter and tehy will baste if for you

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”