Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Advice for Mid arm wanted

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
CoyoteQuilts

Advice for Mid arm wanted

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:08 pm

I am starting to look for a mid arm quilter. I would really love a Gammill, but that is out of the question at this time. The Pfaff, Brother & other regular machines on a frame just don't interest me. Not enough throat space. I get confused with the frames & what machines can go on which one. I do not want a wooden frame.

On the machine I don't care if it has speed control, but would like needle down & possible low bobbin indicator and be able to use stylus.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks bunches!!

Sharon V.

quilterbee

Re: Advice for Mid arm wanted

Post by quilterbee » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:03 am

Have you looked at the Voyager 17 by Hinterberg? Amie :o)

piecemaker1

Post by piecemaker1 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:54 am

I'd like to know more about the HQ16. I looked at the Voyager 17 and the Tin Lizzie (18") at the Chicago Quilt festival. They are on large wooden frames. I too would prefer not to have the wooden frame. Anyone have any input on the HQ??

p.s. I see that they are using them at Paducah for some of the classes. Would that be a good place to try it out?

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:22 am

You don't have to put any mid arm on a wooden frame. You pick your combination. The companies want you to buy their whole system but many people do not. I certainly didn't, but I love my wooden frame. Less vibration. Amie

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:31 am

My friend has an HQ16 LA set up...Loves it!!! It is very good quality and does very nice stitches....Try one.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:31 am

I drove several mid-arms at the Houston quilt show. My favorite was the HQ16 - it was wonderful. Personally, the Tin Lizzie was my least favorite. My friend and I just looked at each other and walked away from that one without even getting a brochure.

I have a B-line (wooden) frame that I use with my short arm and it's all I've ever had so I can't make any comparisons for you.

Let us know what you decide.

cindy

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:58 pm

Last spring I took a class on the HQ16 at a local LQS and I just loved how it handled. They also have what is called the Simply 16 which is a slightly smaller version of the HQ16 and is less expensive but I have not used one of those.

SFOQuilter

Post by SFOQuilter » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:25 pm

I have had the HQ16 with stitch regulator since September. Feel free to email me with any questions. I love it!

CoyoteQuilts

Post by CoyoteQuilts » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:41 pm

Spent several hours on the Yahoo list reading & then going to lots of sites. I have at least cut down on the ones I DON'T want, which is a help. I will be going to the Phoenix quilts, crafts & sewing festival in mid Jan. I hope they have more than the Gammill long arm set up to test drive.

Thanks for all the advice & help with this!!
Sharon V.

AudreyB

Post by AudreyB » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:22 pm

I have been looking at a Bailey mid arm myself. If you look under chit chat you can get some information there. I have only heard two bad things about it. No stitch regultor and and it only does 800 stitches per minute. But it is much cheaper than the long arm and takes up much less room. They do have a 25 year warrenty which I think is awesome!

Audrey

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”