Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Confused About Machines

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
BackToQuilting

Confused About Machines

Post by BackToQuilting » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:00 am

Hi - I'm new to the forum and have just returned to quilting after several years. So excited to be back.

Any advice on purchasing a new machine ? I pretty much had decided on the Babylock Espire but I see alot of quilters using Berninas, Pfaffs and Viking.

I plan on learning machine quilting and I loved the features of the Espire but don't know too much about the others expect that they are more expensive.

Any input would be great :)

Cathy32078

Re: Confused About Machines

Post by Cathy32078 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:09 am

I would look into a machine that would give you the most quilting room or throat space. I have a Bernina that is 10 yrs old and it sucks in that aspect. Great to have you here and hope you'll enjoy the forum. Be sure and check out the various sections of the forum. Lots of reading. Also happy that you've returned to quilting.

Cathy

roseytoes

Post by roseytoes » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:16 am

Hi BackToQuilting and welcome! If you scroll up to the top of the page, next to messages, click on the search function and type in new machine click on topics. You will find lots of opinions there. I have a Janome (basic machine) for classes. For my birthday this year DH bought me a Bernina Aurora, I love it but wish it had more throat room. (It does sew better than anything I had before) If you like the Espire and have tried it out go for it!
Mary

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:18 am

I'm a Janome girl! I have a Viking 1+, 3 Pfaff's and I sold my Bernina on ebay last year. I discoved Janome a few years ago. My 6500 can sew circles around any of the others. It has an almost 10" throat, leg lift, sews 1000 spm, has 135 stitches, needle up-down, built in scissors and came with a crap load of feet and stuff. I paid $997 and even less now. Best machine ever. JMO, Amie

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:21 pm

I have a Janome 6500, which I love, but I must admit I was tempted by the Babylock Espire that we used in a class with Eleanor Burns in Paducah last April!! It does have a couple of features that are not on my 6500. They were offered at a great price - since they were used those 3 days in classes. However, being able to use it in the class was a nice thing, as you were able to 'test drive' it doing the kind of sewing you would normally do at home - and on fabrics that you would normally use. A BIG thing is to be sure you have dealer support near you.

Good luck on your decision!
Ann

SewSew

Post by SewSew » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:27 pm

I bought a Babylock Espire last June and I love my machine, but I also own an older Pfaff that I really like also. I have used both to do machine quilting and both for working on king size quilts.

Ann

debbie510

Post by debbie510 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:54 am

I will tell you what not to buy - I had the choice to buy a Brother Pacesetter 6000 or a Janome (can't remember the name, but similiar to the brother). I got the Brother machine and I regret my decision. I paid $1400 (sale price) and I have had so many problems with it. It has been in the shop a couple of times and it is still not right. A friend also got the brother machine and she has had a lot of problems with hers also.

I have also heard that the Janome is a good machine. Buy what is comfortable to you.

towens71

Post by towens71 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:39 am

Here's a great website for reviewing sewing machines:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

I have a Janome 1600P on my quilting frame, its a straight stitch only machine, (love it) I also have a Babylock Ellageo, which is embroidery + sewing. I love that machine also. I've had an Elna's Quilters Dream, again loved it. My suggestion, figure out how much you want to pay, find the machines in your price range and test them OUT! Good luck, have fun and let us know what you picked!

Traci

jameswife2003

Post by jameswife2003 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:47 am

Wow, I payed $350 for my treadle(it was on sale) and I thought that was alot! I haven't actually bought any other machine, I can't afford the prices. The only other working machine I have is from the 50's or 60's. I have another (non-working) machine from the 50's. I guess I'm just an old fashioned kinda gal:) And my grandma won't give me her 1900's treadle machine:)

carrieg

Post by carrieg » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:04 am

There's a site that has sewing machine reviews. I 'think' it's patternreview.com, but that's from memory. LOL Also try google. I actually found a Yahoo group specifically for the machine I bought, a Janome MC6600. The internet can be a wonderful thing!

Carol

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”