Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

sergers

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Oasis

Re: sergers

Post by Oasis » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:32 am

I was at Joann's this morning and looked at their sergers. I would like one for their speed and I like the finished edges. I have no idea what to look for though. One said it has a foot that does a rolled edge and there were some comments about threading and about keeping the thread separated. I'm not sure what to be looking for and what is just fluff.

I'll google sergers and see what I can find but you Ladies always have good advice.

Linda/Oasis
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

towens71

Post by towens71 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:14 am

Here is a great website for reviews of just about everything sewing related, including sergers and sewing machines.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

Traci

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:42 am

I have a White brand serger. It has the 4 thread....and cutting blade. It is a really good one...I've had it maybe 15 years and no problems. It is just a little hard to thread one of the lower loopers as it is in the botton near where the needles go down...long tweezers that come with machine have helped. It isn't color coded either to help with threading it but once you do it a couple of times, it is ok. I don't use it as much as I thought I would but it is great for some sewing. I love my New Home computerized sewing machine and my White brand Quilting sewing machine....I wouldn't spend a lot on a serger if not going to use it as much.

angelacordova

Post by angelacordova » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:22 pm

I am a serger queen. That is all I know how to use. I have 2 sergers. One is a white (which is my back up) And the other is Juno by Janome. I like the Juno better. It is 3/4 cone with differential feed. You can turn off the cutting blade so that you can do borders. Right now it is on sale at Hancocks from $329 to $189.

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi Angelacordova aka "The Serger Queen". . . . I don't think I have seen your name before so Welcome to the forum.

I just bought a Viking Huskeylock serger and I'm a little afraid of it. Haven't tried it yet (finishing Christmas projects) but if I have any questions maybe I could ask you. I have a video so I just need some time to sit in front of the machine and watch/stop the video and do each thing they demonstrate.

Join in any of the posts, we love newbies!

Linda/Oasis

Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

happymrs

Post by happymrs » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:24 am

Well, my hubby & I gave my serger a good cleaning today, put new needles in, & a new blade, & so far, it's running like a new one, yeah! Mine is a Babylock "Imagine" & I love it! It's probably around 8yrs old, give or take, & I haven't used it much in the last few years since I mainly quilt now. DH wanted a flannel shirt for xmas, so out came my serger! I knew, while using it, it wasn't performing as good as it normally does, so I also knew it was long past due for cleaning & new needles, & probably a new blade. So we did it & I'm sure glad we did! Mine has those air tubes for the bottom threads, & man, I love those! Had trouble rethreading it, till we got those in place right. It's been so long since I used them, I forgot how, lol! Anyway, sergers are great if you sew much at all & they aren't near as scary as they look either, trust me! Happy New Year everyone!

Nancy...

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”