Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sewing Machine to use with Grace Quilting Frame

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
ilovetosew

Re: Sewing Machine to use with Grace Quilting Frame

Post by ilovetosew » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi Ladies! I am researching long arm stitch regulated quilting machines and have tried a few - APQS Millenium, HQSixteen and a Gammill. Besides price, what are the major differences? What do you use and love? What doesn't work for you? Thanks for your advice. Janie

retafleming

Post by retafleming » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi, I have used the next generation frame for a few years now. Mine came with and is made for the
Viking mega quilter and the Pfaff grand hobby quilter. They are both the same machine and work wonderful on the frame. I don't have any trouble with the thread. They are more of an industrial heavy duty machine , I believe with steel parts not plastic to wear out. I have my frame and Viking Mega quilter with supplies up for sale soon on craigslist.org soon, if you'd like to see pictures of the machines. I will try to get a separate pic tomorrow of the Viking and post it on Craigslist as I'm not talented enough to put it on here. Sorry. The machine also comes with a knee throttle. Really nice machines. I wouldn't sell mine but people can't figure out what machine to buy for the frame. Love this machine. Really nice stitches and the machines just takes the fabric and goes with it. Really mice.
The frame can be a short 5 ft section or the longer 10 foot something section. Text if any questions. Hope this helped. ie Viking Mega Quilter and next Generation Frame. Thanks

Motomom316

Post by Motomom316 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:34 am

I am having some of the same issues. I have a Gracie King frame with a Janome 1600P. I have done nothing but fight it and it continues to go out of time and cannot get the tension set right. Are there any better compatible machines? I am ready to buy a whole new set up. Frustrated beyond frustrated! Help!!

Jerseyquilter

Post by Jerseyquilter » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:34 am

I have a Gracie pinacle....had a janome 1600p set up with it and later upgraded to the Babylock long arm.

I also has issues with thread breaking, and had a few things that all helped...

Use good thread...I use king tut...worth the extra money in less stress, and you really want your project quilted using good supplies...

Ensure tension is correct... the janome 1600 p was more challenging than the baby lock to get this right, but once it is good, you are in business

Make sure the frame is set up so that it is not too high....if it is too high over the sewing surface, will cause thread breakage

Make sure your needle is straight and sharp.....

Hope this helps

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”